An Alphabetical Stroll Through Bali and Australia- I is for: It's Been a Long Day (10/16)

"Oh my God, Mom, stay on the LEFT!" "I'm TRYING!"
Well, that was one thing about starting our US driving in a major city - there was no way I was ever going to accidentally cross to the wrong side of the road when there were multiple lanes of oncoming traffic!

My main issue was in carparks, although I did also find myself turning onto the wrong side of the road a couple of times in small towns off Route 66.

"There's "ighs" in the fridge". Anara, doesn't miss a beat and asks (out loud! :lmao: ) "That sounds interesting, what are "ighs"? After a couple more tries we finally understood she was talking about EGGS! Buahahahahahaha!
:rotfl:

I stopped and stood amazed at this enormous Australian Pelican. Had I known I could see one within a few steps of our Airbnb, maybe I’d have saved the Pelican Lagoon stop the day before for this day.
Yeah, pelicans are pretty much everywhere.

(I tried not to scare him this much. :lmao: Look closely)
:rotfl:

I was a bit surprised that the tide pools really didn’t have anything in them like starfish or even shells.
I've always seen tide pools full of life in books and movies, but have never seen anything in them in real life. Maybe it's an Aussie thing?

On the way back I was treated to the incessant squawking of the resident flock of Galah (or Rose-breasted Cockatoo). These are ubiquitous in Australia, and we saw them in several of the places we visited; the novelty of such a lovely bird, despite the racket they make never wore off.
Haha I can tell you it eventually does wear off 😉 Particularly when it starts outside your bedroom window at 5am...

I was just getting the hang of driving again when we realized we’d forgotten to grab all of our food from the fridge for our meals for the next couple of days. UGH! Luckily, it only added about 30 minutes to our day and we didn’t arrive hours later that night hungry and totally out of luck.
Phew!

Anara found a termite hill to diddle around with. No, there was no explosion of insects as she’d hoped. Maybe that’s for the best.
You were expecting an explosion of insects? 🤔

The several we saw in various part of Australia included PROPANE (WTHeck?!) a sink with water (if the tank was full), a nice picnic table, a food prep counter that was COVERED (say, what?!), and a community shower/toilet. I can’t compare the prices because I failed to look at how much a site cost, but I can also tell you that there are TONS of FREE camping areas with many of the same amenities that we came across as well. Again, this is just an outsider’s perspective, but color me impressed!!
A lot of campgrounds are being updated, but I can definitely tell you that they are not all like this. I've heard of communal bathrooms and camp kitchens with gas provided, but never for individual sites!

I'm not a camper, but my parents have done quite a lot in their caravan and I've never seen a camp setup like that! The one time I did go camping many years ago, the campsites were just small cleared areas, with 1 drop toilet for the entire campground.

(Australian White Ibis)
Otherwise known as a bin chicken, or bin chook.

1724630121237.png

(Australian Magpie)
Maggies are beautiful, but not in Spring when it's swooping season (coming up soon for us!).

The abandoned equipment of the old still that extracted eucalyptus oil is here and apparently one of the best-preserved examples found in Australia today.
I use eucalyptus oil quite a bit, but have never really thought about how long it's been around and how they used to produce it.

Especially since there are SO many places to just pull off the road and onto the beaches for free. (Correct me if I’m wrong on this one, @zanzibar138 but that’s the impression we got?)
Yes, in most places you can pretty much camp wherever there's an access road. Unless there's a no camping sign.

IMG_4485-L.jpg
That looks like an amazing campground - I'd even be tempted to camp there! Is that shelter just for one campsite? You'd usually find a slightly larger version of that with a few picnic tables for an entire campground.

Today was a bust as it was just a salt flat devoid of any water whatsoever. Some reviewers gushed about its nice pink hue it gets when filled with rainwater, but today…. It was crusty and, while white, dry and kind of boring. We took a few goofy photos, I used the facili”trees”, and kept on going.
You got some nice photos anyway.

But there was still plenty of blooms making for a pretty scene.
Very pretty :flower3:

It was still early enough in the day for a latte, and I was no less than thrilled to see they offered a lavender version.
A lavender latte? How interesting!

(Yes, that's homemade clotted cream, and yes, I also bought some coffee packets for emergencies)
Any respectable establishment in Australia will serve 'proper' cream with their scones. Whipped cream in a can isn't really a thing here. And we certainly do not have cheese in a can :crazy2:

We headed outside to a shady table and chatted and giggled while the birds flitted about in the bottlebrush above us and amongst the rows of lavender all around us.
Looks like a lovely place to enjoy.

Happy and full, we drove to Emu Bay proper. Here, we found, you guessed it, more black swans and more pelicans. (And here I thought they were a rare find.)
Haha I was going to guess that you saw emus 😆 Black swans and pelicans are definitely not a rare find :rotfl:

I’d heard rumors that the EXTREMELY rare Glossy Black Cockatoo could be spotted in the Lashami Conservation Park if you’re really lucky.
Is the glossy black cockatoo different to a regular black cockatoo? We see black cockatoos quite often in our area.

• 2019-2020: This fire season was one of the most challenging in the island's history, with almost half of the island's 440,500 hectares burning. The fires destroyed 87 houses, killed two people, and killed an estimated 32,000 head of livestock. They also damaged businesses, grazing land, forests, crops, machinery, and infrastructure.
As you can see, just 4 short years earlier, 42% of the island was completely burned up. A huge part of the koala population was also killed. Many were rescued and moved to rehab facilities across the country. I was wondering if there’d be much beauty to see during our visit. I grew up in California and spent many years in Oregon where it can take decades for the land to recover after a fire. Delightfully, this ecosystem is a bit more resilient, and the amount of regrowth was quite astonishing! There was a ton of green and while, yes, there were plenty of reminders that fires had passed through, and the wildlife was making a wonderful comeback.
That was a bad bushfire season Australia wide - lots of homes lost but luckily not too many lives.

The Australian bush actually relies on fires for regeneration. We have prescribed burns in a lot of more populated areas to burn in a more controlled way to reduce the combustible material and to regenerate the bushland. The government has started to work with the Aboriginal people to learn more about how to manage this in the best possible way.

The fires of Black Saturday in February 2018 were so bad that they razed entire towns and destroyed bushland. There's a town in the alpine region in Victoria called Marysville where they pretty much lost everything. For many years the bushland around there had been reduced to burnt out tree trunks, and took many years to recover. We lost a lot of lives in those fires too (human and animal) :sad1: After that, there were a lot of changes put in place to try to protect towns and people. There are new building codes since then, a couple of extra levels of fire danger level, and much more focus on education and ensuring that people have proper fire plans.

Before we even got to the manned information kiosk, we got what we’d come to see!!! Two perfect Koala specimens hanging out in the trees right there in the parking lot. We’d hit the Motherlode 3 minutes after getting out of the car.
Nice! Koalas can be hard to spot in the wild.

Continued in next post (I hate the 35 photo limit)...
35? The last time I tried to post a photo update it cut me off at 10! Hopefully I can get to 35 next time, or it's going to take a REALLY long time to get through my upcoming WDW TR.

I also wanted to mention at how incredibly impressed I was at the attempts Australia makes at building trails and walks that are accessible. They really do a bang up job at helping all-abled bodied folks enjoy the beauty that this beautiful place has to offer.
For most key areas of interest there will be a short accessible walk suitable for families with strollers and wheelchair users.

By this, we knew that the shy and not-often-seen, egg-laying mammal was there, but just not wanting to surface. My research shows that they can stay underwater for between 2 and 10 minutes, so I remained hopeful. Sadly, it/they? must have come up in places none of us were looking or couldn’t see.
You have to be extremely lucky to see a platypus in the wild, and even when you do see them. I've only seen them once when we visited a specific platypus sanctuary. Like you, we stood in silence for half an hour or more before they showed themselves, and even then it was just for fleeting moments that were incredibly hard to photograph. This was the best I could manage.

1724629981128.png

Rarely indeed. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with some ice cream. Even soft-serve.
I think it depends on my mood. Sometimes a light sorbet after a heavy dinner is perfect, and if I get served a massive bowl of just about anything else. Just... no.
You pooped on a salty lakebed???
NO!!!!! I peed behind a tree!
Actually... I think that's a win. You can see lakes anywhere... but a salt flat? That's harder to find.
Maybe? From what I was reading when there is just a little water, it turns a nice pink color which would be cool to see. I guess it'd have to be "just enough".
Very natural pose. I'm betting Anara shot a candid photo went you weren't expecting it.
How did you ever guess?!
Hmm... I wonder if it's some sort of breeding area when there's water or something?
I honestly don't have any idea! It was so odd to me.
I'd heard you were salty, but this takes the cake!
You didn't believe me! ;)
But of course.
And... oddly enough... my sister is visiting and she brought me some lavender cookies. So I can relate. :)
Huh!!! That IS quite the coincidence. :)
Terrific shot. I first thought this was from a book or the internet showing the past history of the place. :thumbsup2
I think it lent itself well to the B&W conversion. :)
I would much prefer smaller family-run to massive factory.
Agreed! Massive factories don't tend to have a lot of charm.
Looks very inviting. :)
It was definitely a very relaxing place to just stop and rest for a bit. The whole set up was very inviting and charming.
That all looks really good. :)
And filling too! I know it wasn't a very traditional lunch, but it sure hit the spot.
Really nice. Can totally see spending time there, just relaxing.
And that's exactly what we did!
Did you find more outside of KI?
TBH, I'm not even sure! I'm not really looking ahead too much at my photos, but we may have on Tassie? Maybe?
Whoa... that's... a lot.
Sadly, yes. :(
Hey! Great!
Were they wild? Part of the park's captive population? Placed there? Just lucky?
Yes, 100% wild. They are in no way contained. I'd imagine they are tracked in some fashion or counted in censuses, but they are free to come and go. I am betting they liked the area of the Headquarters as there is water nearby.
I've often wondered that, when walking through zoos or forested areas. How many animals am I walking right past without ever seeing them>?
Me too! They hide so darned well!
So... you're saying you're not a fan? Not quite clear.
NOT. A. FAN.
:( Too bad. How cool would it have been to see one??
Almost as cool as seeing a Tasmanian Devil.
Wow! Crimson is right!
So bright and so many of these that we saw.
How so? Key turned in the opposite direction or something?
It was one of those locks with a number code, but even after I turned it to the right number, it was stuck until I did something else. I can't remember what, but I struggled a little bit with it. Was relieved when it finally popped open.
Oh, I completely get that. I spoke with a young man from Eastern Kentucky and I only understood one word he said. And even that one wasn't easy to get!
Oh, boy, yeah, that DEEP Appalachian accent.... it's a VERY tough one. Even for us in Kentucky. I had some patients at the Level 1 I worked at in Lexington that was the capture area for ALL of Eastern KY, and there were some folks that literally could not sign their name. Could not read, and had VERY thick accents. Truly they can (some) be like from another culture completely.
I had no idea they were extinct in the wild!
Indeed they are. They are being reintroduced I do believe as we did see some near Uluru later in the trip.
There were a couple that I'd see every time I went to Costco, here. :)
Say what...?!

Well, that was one thing about starting our US driving in a major city - there was no way I was ever going to accidentally cross to the wrong side of the road when there were multiple lanes of oncoming traffic!

My main issue was in carparks, although I did also find myself turning onto the wrong side of the road a couple of times in small towns off Route 66.
It sounds like you did better than I did. :) I remember when I was learning to drive as a teenager, drive-thru fast food places were stressful. I learned, but those were tough. I can see how a car park, especially the kind that loops you around and around could be nerve-wracking!! EEK!
Yeah, pelicans are pretty much everywhere.
We do have them, but they are less numerous on the West Coast, and I haven't spent much time on the East Coast, but do remember them when I visited the Florida Keys. I thought they were pretty cool there too!
I've always seen tide pools full of life in books and movies, but have never seen anything in them in real life. Maybe it's an Aussie thing?
I really don't know if the water temperatures has something to do with it, or if maybe the surf or tide isn't deep enough to fill them up with fun creatures? I can't explain, but it was sure something that surprised me.
Haha I can tell you it eventually does wear off 😉 Particularly when it starts outside your bedroom window at 5am...
This sounds a lot like our woodpeckers (not here in Kentucky, here it's crows) that would do that on the house siding at 5AM. Not a fan.
You were expecting an explosion of insects? 🤔
Yes, sometimes when you poke a mound it stirs up the nest and they come pouring out. At least the big anthills I've played with can. Okay, maybe "explosion" was a bit dramatic, but yeah, the bugs do come marching out... "Yo! What's up!?"
A lot of campgrounds are being updated, but I can definitely tell you that they are not all like this. I've heard of communal bathrooms and camp kitchens with gas provided, but never for individual sites!

I'm not a camper, but my parents have done quite a lot in their caravan and I've never seen a camp setup like that! The one time I did go camping many years ago, the campsites were just small cleared areas, with 1 drop toilet for the entire campground.
Good to know! I was thinking, wow, this is pretty fabulous! Maybe the ones on KI are bit nicer as many had to be redone due to those fires? This appeared to be a setup for that one site, but then again, there was only one van parked there when we were there, so maybe I misunderstood too?

I'd be a little more reluctant if I had to hike to a bathroom a way's away in the dark.
Otherwise known as a bin chicken, or bin chook.

So a lot like the Florida chickens (White Ibis) that do this in Disney. ;)
Maggies are beautiful, but not in Spring when it's swooping season (coming up soon for us!).
OH do tell! What is "Swooping Season"?
I use eucalyptus oil quite a bit, but have never really thought about how long it's been around and how they used to produce it.
It's great stuff; probably should have used a bit while I've had this nasty, horrible cold/laryngitis.
Yes, in most places you can pretty much camp wherever there's an access road. Unless there's a no camping sign.
Crazy! And so cool!!
That looks like an amazing campground - I'd even be tempted to camp there! Is that shelter just for one campsite? You'd usually find a slightly larger version of that with a few picnic tables for an entire campground.
It sure looked like it! There was only the one other car there which also had a similar little covered area.
You got some nice photos anyway.
Thanks! :)
A lavender latte? How interesting!
If you can find one, might be worth a try. I really liked the ones I've had :)
Any respectable establishment in Australia will serve 'proper' cream with their scones. Whipped cream in a can isn't really a thing here. And we certainly do not have cheese in a can :crazy2:
Whipped cream in a can is pretty gross IMHO. I don't care for the flavor at all (chemically-tasting) so was so happy to see the REAL DEAL here. And the preserves were FRESH strawberry jam too. Mmmmm!!!!

Cheese in a can. Just EW! 🤮

However, I'm gonna risk some pushback here I know, but I don't love Vegemite either. ;) I'll chat about this when we get to Alice Springs. :)
Looks like a lovely place to enjoy.
It was so nicely relaxing; highly recommend.
Haha I was going to guess that you saw emus 😆 Black swans and pelicans are definitely not a rare find :rotfl:
Ha!! We did see emu, but not wild (later in the trip) and I came to learn that they are common, but never stopped thinking they were neat to see.
Is the glossy black cockatoo different to a regular black cockatoo? We see black cockatoos quite often in our area.
According to Avibase (the world database for birds) these are listed as "Vulnerable". One blog I was reading a LONG time ago when I was planning a couple had gone to Lashami and was stoked to have found one.

The more common one that is not as endangered is the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo. Maybe this is the one? I'd have been happy to snag this one equally TBH.
That was a bad bushfire season Australia wide - lots of homes lost but luckily not too many lives.

The Australian bush actually relies on fires for regeneration. We have prescribed burns in a lot of more populated areas to burn in a more controlled way to reduce the combustible material and to regenerate the bushland. The government has started to work with the Aboriginal people to learn more about how to manage this in the best possible way.

The fires of Black Saturday in February 2018 were so bad that they razed entire towns and destroyed bushland. There's a town in the alpine region in Victoria called Marysville where they pretty much lost everything. For many years the bushland around there had been reduced to burnt out tree trunks, and took many years to recover. We lost a lot of lives in those fires too (human and animal) :sad1: After that, there were a lot of changes put in place to try to protect towns and people. There are new building codes since then, a couple of extra levels of fire danger level, and much more focus on education and ensuring that people have proper fire plans.
So sad! From the signs in the park, they were really taking a positive outlook on the fires though somewhat. They (I assumed the biologists) were happy with what the fires do as a necessary means of regenerating plants and wildlife. I remember talking with Anara at how much positivity they communicated. Surprising I thought.

But I LOVE how they are working with the Aboriginal People to learn and manage the natural areas. We learned A LOT about this when we went to Uluru and how that whole area has been legally returned to them to manage in conjunction as a mixed ethnic councel. SOOOOO Coool!!!

This sound a bit, tragically, like the tornados that devastate and wipe out areas where I live. Coincidentally, in 2021, a big one (longest on record) wiped out the whole town of Mayfield (similar name) and killed 22 people. Whenever natural disaster happens it really leaves a mark and sad memories, but it's also good that we can learn and make changes to help everyone be safer.
Nice! Koalas can be hard to spot in the wild.
For sure!!! I don't think we'd have seen them at all if others were gathered at those trees staring up. Lucky for sure!
35? The last time I tried to post a photo update it cut me off at 10! Hopefully I can get to 35 next time, or it's going to take a REALLY long time to get through my upcoming WDW TR.
You get 35 when you use a 3rd party photo hosting site. I subscribe to Smugmug and pay an annual fee to store my photos there. If you upload directly to here, 10's the limit. :)
For most key areas of interest there will be a short accessible walk suitable for families with strollers and wheelchair users.
I really like this. I think at the more major tourist areas we have that too, like Multnomah Falls or Crater Lake, but most of our hikes are more primitive with fewer options for the handicapped.
You have to be extremely lucky to see a platypus in the wild, and even when you do see them. I've only seen them once when we visited a specific platypus sanctuary. Like you, we stood in silence for half an hour or more before they showed themselves, and even then it was just for fleeting moments that were incredibly hard to photograph. This was the best I could manage.

1724629981128.png
But you got one!!! And you CAN clearly see it is one. That's such a great find. Lucky you!

I think it depends on my mood. Sometimes a light sorbet after a heavy dinner is perfect, and if I get served a massive bowl of just about anything else. Just... no.
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. ::yes::
NO!!!!! I peed behind a tree!
I need your DD's contact info to confirm.

Betting she won't.
Maybe? From what I was reading when there is just a little water, it turns a nice pink color which would be cool to see. I guess it'd have to be "just enough".
That would be cool too... but still... this was pretty neat. :)
How did you ever guess?!
Intuition.
Yes, 100% wild.
Huh!!
NOT. A. FAN.
:lmao:
Almost as cool as seeing a Tasmanian Devil.
1724711057856.png
there were some folks that literally could not sign their name. Could not read, and had VERY thick accents. Truly they can (some) be like from another culture completely.
Surprising, in this day and age.
Indeed they are. They are being reintroduced I do believe as we did see some near Uluru later in the trip.
Had no idea. Interesting.
Say what...?!
::yes::
They'd fly to a fence and perch for a bit then up to their nest (I presume) in a pine tree on the lot.

This sounds a lot like our woodpeckers (not here in Kentucky, here it's crows) that would do that on the house siding at 5AM. Not a fan.
Yep, I would be pretty happy to hear a woodpecker! Not sure about on the house siding at 5am though...

Yes, sometimes when you poke a mound it stirs up the nest and they come pouring out. At least the big anthills I've played with can. Okay, maybe "explosion" was a bit dramatic, but yeah, the bugs do come marching out... "Yo! What's up!?"
I can't say I've ever thought to do that lol!

Maybe the ones on KI are bit nicer as many had to be redone due to those fires?
Yes, that would make sense.

OH do tell! What is "Swooping Season"?
This is a pretty good rundown of it:

"In September and October, Australians band together as if motivated by a national war effort. It’s swooping season for the native magpie. This black-and-white bird with beady red-brown eyes can become aggressive, dive bombing and pecking anything, especially humans, that it deems a threat to its chicks. During the spring swooping season, victims of attacks update online maps with nest locations in order to warn others of the danger from above. Principals put their bodies on the line to protect students. Talk radio shows are flooded with dramatic swoop stories. “It is the biggest urban wildlife problem there is in Australia just because of the scale and sheer number of animals involved,” said Professor Darryl Jones, an urban ecologist with Griffith University in Brisbane. He has studied the troubled relationship between magpies and humans for 20 years. An Australian’s fear of magpies has merit. Each year a handful of attacks cause eye injuries and in some cases permanent sight loss. Cyclists fall off their bikes, breaking bones and dislocating joints. Professor Jones and his students recently discovered a magpie’s ability to recognize and remember human faces, occasionally singling out individuals for escalated attacks season after season. Mail carriers who buzz around on small motorbikes are hardest hit, victims of more than 200 a day, Professor Jones said."

If you can find one, might be worth a try. I really liked the ones I've had :)
Sadly, I'm not really a coffee drinker. More of a hot chocolate type.

Whipped cream in a can is pretty gross IMHO. I don't care for the flavor at all (chemically-tasting) so was so happy to see the REAL DEAL here. And the preserves were FRESH strawberry jam too. Mmmmm!!!!
Is there another kind of preserves???

However, I'm gonna risk some pushback here I know, but I don't love Vegemite either. ;) I'll chat about this when we get to Alice Springs. :)
No pushback from me. Vegemite is definitely an acquired taste. The trick is to spread it very thinly.

Ha!! We did see emu, but not wild (later in the trip) and I came to learn that they are common, but never stopped thinking they were neat to see.
I've noticed some chat about emus being extinct in the wild. I'd not heard of that, and know it is categorically untrue, so I looked it up. Seems that it's only in Tasmania.

I literally saw an emu just casually wandering along next to the freeway on Saturday 😉

The more common one that is not as endangered is the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo. Maybe this is the one? I'd have been happy to snag this one equally TBH.
Yes, that sounds right. The black cockatoos we get in our area do have yellow tails.

This sound a bit, tragically, like the tornados that devastate and wipe out areas where I live. Coincidentally, in 2021, a big one (longest on record) wiped out the whole town of Mayfield (similar name) and killed 22 people. Whenever natural disaster happens it really leaves a mark and sad memories, but it's also good that we can learn and make changes to help everyone be safer.
Tornados scare the *** out of me! :eek:

You get 35 when you use a 3rd party photo hosting site. I subscribe to Smugmug and pay an annual fee to store my photos there. If you upload directly to here, 10's the limit. :)
Oh, good to know! Usually I just upload my photos to facebook, but I do also occasionally back-up to Onedrive, so hopefully I can use that. Don't really want to have to pay any extra just for the privilege of being able to upload more photos in a post lol!

At most US “State” campgrounds you pay around $20-$30/night and get (this is a generalization and most of my camping experience is in Oregon) a picnic table, and metal fire ring and/or a raised BBQ, a water tap but it’s usually one shared between 10 or 15 sites and you have to walk a bit to it, and maybe some grungy community showers. The several we saw in various part of Australia included PROPANE (WTHeck?!) a sink with water (if the tank was full), a nice picnic table, a food prep counter that was COVERED (say, what?!), and a community shower/toilet.

Ooh, glad I got to see the photo of the setup before commenting! That is quite impressive!

I will say, I've camped at quite a variety of different places throughout the US, with varying amounts of amenities. The ones aimed at RV's tend to have more than the ones just for tents (plus car), tho we have only done tent camping ourselves. Like, the bathroom facilities range from pit toilets and a water pump to a rather large building with showers, etc (usually at major National Park campgrounds). But, while I've seen many picnic tables at campsites, I've never seen a little shelter setup like in your photo!

I met a fair amount of Aussies when I was doing my study abroad year, and they told us about their tradition of going "walkabout" for extended periods of time. So, it makes sense that they would have facilities for that.

I didn’t really mean for it to be 90% birds, but I wasn’t sad when it was.

No argument here! Very cool bird photos!

I was a bit surprised that the tide pools really didn’t have anything in them like starfish or even shells.
I saw wonderful tidepools teeming with life when I was on the coast of Oregon near Coos Bay. I even found a small octopus in one of them. But this was a very rocky shore (as you know). You won't see a lot of sea life if the shore is sandy. The creatures need lots of hiding places, crevices and cracks. :)
We ambled around to the various varieties growing and learned that each one has a best-suited purpose. Really, quite an interesting industry! While not a giant factory by any means, the Emu Lavender Farm is a smaller family-run business with a boutique model, perfect for a low-key stop among the things to see and do on KI.
The lavender farm looks interesting. I would love some of that ice cream. :)
Two perfect Koala specimens hanging out in the trees right there in the parking lot.
Those are cute pictures of the Koala bears. :)

F is for: Finding Fun in Flinders Chase National Park, Kangaroo Island, Australia

We’d left off with our lovely walkabout around the Platypus Waterhole. The trek was just the right length getting us back for a quiet evening at our cottage before dark.

This, however, was not any ordinary cottage!!!! Once I figured out the door lock and got us in we were absolutely stunned. Here’s a bit of history:

“May’s Homestead and Postman’s Cottage were built on Kangaroo Island in the 1880s as part of the original Rocky River Homestead. The scrub was home to countless sheep and a handful of cattle during the establishment of several stations on the island. The Postman’s Cottage was originally built for a mailman who would lodge in the homestead once a fortnight.”

Here is the rest of the article you can read about its restoration after the devastating 2019-2020 fire destroyed most of both of these lovely cottages.

https://glamadelaide.com.au/two-kan...es-given-new-life-after-devastating-bushfire/

The cottage was light and airy with a white-on-white motif. There were all the modern conveniences for cooking you’d want with a stove, microwave, fridge, sink, dishwasher, etc… I didn’t want to cook real meals, but we could have. The bathroom was fully accessible, HUGE, and soooooo clean and new. The shower was pristine, and all of the amenities were locally made KI products of eucalyptus and lavender. Of course! There were framed old photos on the walls showing the history of the cottage throughout the years and some nice hardbound books of its history as well as the history of the island as a whole, nature books of the KI animals, and pamphlets for some of the various tour companies and things to see and do.

Outside there was a gorgeous patio with comfy deck furniture, a grill, propane, and plenty of evidence of animals who must visit regularly. In case you’re interested, roo poo reminded me of charcoal briquettes. (I do aim to be thorough in my trip reporting. 😉)
During a quick stroll through the yard and up the dirt road behind the cottages I came across this antique cookstove/firebox that must have been taken from the cottage after the fire. Oh how amazing it would have been to keep it in there to lend a historic air to the place even if it was only used as decor. I LOVE stuff like this!

As I said, we ate a very simple supper; I had a half a frozen pizza that I finished the next morning, and Anara heated up one of her frozen dinner things sometime after I ate. We’d also bought a nice beet and dill pickle dip and some cheese and crackers that I nibbled at and washed it all down with some water.

We savored the last bit of light as it boasted a soft, water-color sunset. The jagged branches of eucalyptus fire victims stood rank against the pastels making for a nice study in contrasts.

At some point, I had wee bout of insomnia. Rather than lay there (lie there??- I swear I will NEVER in my life learn when to use one or the other) I got up in hopes of seeing some nighttime animals. I looked out all of the windows into our yard hoping for a glimpse of a grazing roo or maybe a little echidna or wallaby. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Maybe off in the trees, but nothing on our little grassy “lawn” area. Then, I suddenly had another thought! Wait a minute; I’m in a whole different hemisphere! I went outside, into the chilly night air, perhaps it was midnight or nearly so, and got my phone camera all set up to try a bit of night sky photography. And by God, it actually worked! It’s far from perfect, but I was very happy with the few shots I’d gotten and glad I made the effort to get at least something. (Perhaps there is the Southern Cross there.... I have no idea!)

With that, I went back to bed with the alarm set for 8:00.

By 9:15, we’d both showered and were out the door for a long day of touring around Flinders Chase National Park. Coffee was provided, although I think I opted for one of my coffee packets that I’d bought at the Lavender Farm for a quick pour over. I’d remembered a small box of cream, so took the time to truly enjoy my little cup o’morning at the little kitchen table while perusing the bird book(s) again with the bit of leftover pizza. The morning mist over the road and yard was so pretty and after my leisurely morning repast, I decided to take a little stroll up the road and nearer the trees to see if I could spy some koala or new birds.

Instead I startled a mommy and joey enjoying a bit of their own breakfast. They bounded away just as I rounded a corner so the photos aren't great. But still seeing them so nearby was really a treat!

Here is the day's route so you can get your bearings and follow along:

Our first stop was the Park Headquarters. I’m not even sure why we went that way as our first stop was the opposite direction. But it’s pretty awesome we did! The koalas were still there nearly in the same place and we were able to spend a few more minutes watching them munch on their breakfast.

Perhaps we’d gotten a few more travel tips from the Ranger, I don’t remember, but soon enough, we were on our way and headed to Cape du Coudic to see the 2nd of the 3 lighthouses on the island. The landscape was like a vast ocean of dense, green brush and the view from Bunker Hill Lookout really highlighted the wild nature of this beautiful place. You can just make out the road that cuts through it all to the right of the dead tree.

The lighting on the lighthouse was particularly nice that morning and we also lucked out and got a couple of workmen cleaning the glass which added some fun to the first photos I got of it.

The lighthouse had a nice little self-guided, interpretive trail with some signs for some of the historic outbuildings. One was particularly interesting- a small horse stable for the 2 work animals who had to endure harsh conditions year-round. The story however is that the pair of horses were well-loved as part of the family and cared for very well.

We were learning so much about the maritime culture in general and really enjoyed the various tidbits of information along the way like this fun sign about the various flags used for communication on and around the water, boats, etc... You might find the flags on this sign fairly amusing.

The view from the trail was stunning! Such a gorgeous setting, although I wonder if my opinion might have been different had it been the middle of winter on a blustery, foggy day.

This was a really nice view from the trail that led back to the parking lot as we got back on our way for more touring:

Next up... A Romp with the Lions

Last edited:
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. ::yes::
This sums up every single super-sized McMeal ever.
I need your DD's contact info to confirm.

Betting she won't.
I'm betting not. ;)
That would be cool too... but still... this was pretty neat. :)
I think so! I'm glad we made the stop just to check it out. :)
Oh I'm sure they look just like that!
Surprising, in this day and age.
It really is. Although, it' a very, very poor area and education isn't as high on the priority list. Surviving is.
::yes::
They'd fly to a fence and perch for a bit then up to their nest (I presume) in a pine tree on the lot.
Neat!

Yep, I would be pretty happy to hear a woodpecker! Not sure about on the house siding at 5am though...
No, they are super annoying and noisy. And very tenacious too.
I can't say I've ever thought to do that lol!
Try it sometime. ;)
This is a pretty good rundown of it:

"In September and October, Australians band together as if motivated by a national war effort. It’s swooping season for the native magpie. This black-and-white bird with beady red-brown eyes can become aggressive, dive bombing and pecking anything, especially humans, that it deems a threat to its chicks. During the spring swooping season, victims of attacks update online maps with nest locations in order to warn others of the danger from above. Principals put their bodies on the line to protect students. Talk radio shows are flooded with dramatic swoop stories. “It is the biggest urban wildlife problem there is in Australia just because of the scale and sheer number of animals involved,” said Professor Darryl Jones, an urban ecologist with Griffith University in Brisbane. He has studied the troubled relationship between magpies and humans for 20 years. An Australian’s fear of magpies has merit. Each year a handful of attacks cause eye injuries and in some cases permanent sight loss. Cyclists fall off their bikes, breaking bones and dislocating joints. Professor Jones and his students recently discovered a magpie’s ability to recognize and remember human faces, occasionally singling out individuals for escalated attacks season after season. Mail carriers who buzz around on small motorbikes are hardest hit, victims of more than 200 a day, Professor Jones said."

Holy smokes! That's crazy! What a scary deal that must be!
Sadly, I'm not really a coffee drinker. More of a hot chocolate type.
I think, like Vegemite, coffee is an acquired taste. And you either like it or don't.
Is there another kind of preserves???
Yes, ho-hum stuff out of a jar like Smuckers. I'll eat it, but so much adore homemade!
No pushback from me. Vegemite is definitely an acquired taste. The trick is to spread it very thinly.
I have a ways to go to "acquire it". ;) And yes, I think I was maybe being too liberal with it like I would jam.
I literally saw an emu just casually wandering along next to the freeway on Saturday 😉
That is so freaking crazy to me! I wonder if this was what I was thinking...?

CASUARIIFORMES: Casuariidae
EmuDromaius novaehollandiaeEndemic (country/region)
Kangaroo Island EmuDromaius baudinianusEndemic Extinct
Yes, that sounds right. The black cockatoos we get in our area do have yellow tails.
I'll bet they are super pretty! We sadly, did not see any black ones.
Tornados scare the *** out of me!
As they should. They are terrifying. The one (s) in 2021 took out a good chunk of my town and we are still re-building some parts.
Oh, good to know! Usually I just upload my photos to facebook, but I do also occasionally back-up to Onedrive, so hopefully I can use that. Don't really want to have to pay any extra just for the privilege of being able to upload more photos in a post lol!
I think it has to be a place you can grab and embed a link for? So maybe?

Ooh, glad I got to see the photo of the setup before commenting! That is quite impressive!

I will say, I've camped at quite a variety of different places throughout the US, with varying amounts of amenities. The ones aimed at RV's tend to have more than the ones just for tents (plus car), tho we have only done tent camping ourselves. Like, the bathroom facilities range from pit toilets and a water pump to a rather large building with showers, etc (usually at major National Park campgrounds). But, while I've seen many picnic tables at campsites, I've never seen a little shelter setup like in your photo!

I met a fair amount of Aussies when I was doing my study abroad year, and they told us about their tradition of going "walkabout" for extended periods of time. So, it makes sense that they would have facilities for that.
Yes, places like KOAs that cater to the RV crowd are more well-equipped for sure with far more amenities like pools, and convenience stores and stuff. These, I think, are most like State or Forest Service (federal) campgrounds but even better. The shelters at these were definitely a huge step up. How nice it'd be to have that especially where I've done most of my camping in the PNW where it's more likely than not to rain your entire stay. The Aussies just make it so easy and affordable to camp. :)

I saw wonderful tidepools teeming with life when I was on the coast of Oregon near Coos Bay. I even found a small octopus in one of them. But this was a very rocky shore (as you know). You won't see a lot of sea life if the shore is sandy. The creatures need lots of hiding places, crevices and cracks. :)
Yes, that's what I"m used to as well- the PNW but especially Oregon where you could see all kinds of fish, starfish, mussels, etc... This totally makes sense that there isn't more life in the pools.
The lavender farm looks interesting. I would love some of that ice cream. :)
Definitely a restful (and sweet-smelling) place to stop for a mid-day rest. That ice cream was soooo good too!
Those are cute pictures of the Koala bears. :)
Thanks! It was really a huge treat to see them in the wild in their natural habitat.

Finding Fun in Flinders Chase National Park
I guess calling it Flinders Field would've been disrespectful... but would've worked really well with your title.
We’d left off with our lovely walkabout around the Platypus Waterhole.
And yet... no platypi.

Yes... that's correct (although not used as often as the more common "platypuses")

Leave me alone. It's 3am and I can barely see straight, yet alone think coherently.
The Postman’s Cottage was originally built for a mailman who would lodge in the homestead once a fortnight.”
Mail only once every two weeks...

Ironic, though. Now, if I didn't get mail for two weeks, I don't think I'd even notice.
The cottage was light and airy with a white-on-white motif. There were all the modern conveniences for cooking you’d want with a stove, microwave, fridge, sink, dishwasher, etc… I didn’t want to cook real meals, but we could have. The bathroom was fully accessible, HUGE, and soooooo clean and new. The shower was pristine, and all of the amenities were locally made KI products of eucalyptus and lavender. Of course! There were framed old photos on the walls showing the history of the cottage throughout the years and some nice hardbound books of its history as well as the history of the island as a whole, nature books of the KI animals, and pamphlets for some of the various tour companies and things to see and do.
This place is massive! And... modern!
Looking at it at first glance, I pictured a rustic cot or bunkbed and an outhouse.

:eek:
In case you’re interested, roo poo reminded me of charcoal briquettes. (I do aim to be thorough in my trip reporting. 😉)
Thanks! Now I know I can BBQ there.

:rolleyes:
That's so cool. Has to be wood-burning, I'd think.
For a frozen 'za... that doesn't look half bad.
We savored the last bit of light as it boasted a soft, water-color sunset. The jagged branches of eucalyptus fire victims stood rank against the pastels making for a nice study in contrasts.

Beautifully (and accurately) said!
Rather than lay there (lie there??- I swear I will NEVER in my life learn when to use one or the other)
Lie.
You lay an object down.
A person or animal (something capable of moving on their own) lies down.

Unless it's past tense. Then it gets tricky. Past tense of lay is laid... but past tense of lie is lay!

I'm tired so will go lie down. As I lay there, I decided to sleep.
I lay the book down. Later, I realized that I had laid it down and forgotten about it.
I went outside, into the chilly night air, perhaps it was midnight or nearly so, and got my phone camera all set up to try a bit of night sky photography. And by God, it actually worked!
We must have similar phones. I know that with my older phone that wouldn't work, but the newer ones do.
(Perhaps there is the Southern Cross there.... I have no idea!)
I have no idea either, but you got some cool star shots. :)
Instead I startled a mommy and joey enjoying a bit of their own breakfast. They bounded away just as I rounded a corner so the photos aren't great. But still seeing them so nearby was really a treat!
That's so cool
The koalas were still there nearly in the same place
Not surprising. Betting they don't move a whole lot at the best of times.
the view from Bunker Hill Lookout really highlighted the wild nature of this beautiful place.
nothing there!
The lighting on the lighthouse was particularly nice that morning
Nice shots. Don't know which I like better. The close up or far away shot. Catching the workers was a stroke of luck. :)
Small! No wonder it's just for 2.
You might find the flags on this sign fairly amusing.
Actually... surprising. I am much more used to seeing this for diver down

1725437574406.png

But I guess they're both interchangeable.

The drunk one, though... :laughing:
Quite the view!
Next up... A Romp with the Lions
Gotta be sea lions. :)

This, however, was not any ordinary cottage!!!! Once I figured out the door lock and got us in we were absolutely stunned.
It looks like a very clean and roomy place to stay. The addition of a huge picture window would have been nice. :)
Then, I suddenly had another thought! Wait a minute; I’m in a whole different hemisphere! I went outside, into the chilly night air, perhaps it was midnight or nearly so, and got my phone camera all set up to try a bit of night sky photography. And by God, it actually worked! It’s far from perfect, but I was very happy with the few shots I’d gotten and glad I made the effort to get at least something. (Perhaps there is the Southern Cross there.... I have no idea!)
I love the night sky and I seldom have a chance to see it. It always seems as if there are lights somewhere nearby. Or there is a full moon that is too bright. The last time I saw this kind of a night sky was at my cousin's house in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains. It was awesome.
The view from the trail was stunning! Such a gorgeous setting, although I wonder if my opinion might have been different had it been the middle of winter on a blustery, foggy day.
It is a stunning coast line. The whole island is awazing.

OK, I know I quoted the star pictures and the kangaroo with her joey, but the only one that seems to be here is...
Patient has had too much alcohol :rotfl2: I think I'd like to buy that set of flags for my cousin's bar. It's funny to think they must have a code for just about everything (though a bit terrifying about the nuclear disaster one mentioned...)

Your insomnia insprired star gazing pictures are pretty spectacular!!! Guess it's a good thing you couldn't sleep; and an even better thing you thought to step outside and look up!

This, however, was not any ordinary cottage!!!! Once I figured out the door lock and got us in we were absolutely stunned.
Lovely 😊

In case you’re interested, roo poo reminded me of charcoal briquettes. (I do aim to be thorough in my trip reporting. 😉)
🤣

I went outside, into the chilly night air, perhaps it was midnight or nearly so, and got my phone camera all set up to try a bit of night sky photography. And by God, it actually worked! It’s far from perfect, but I was very happy with the few shots I’d gotten and glad I made the effort to get at least something. (Perhaps there is the Southern Cross there.... I have no idea!)
Great work with the night sky photography! I'm no expert, but I *think* this may be the Southern Cross.

1725843865783.png

The koalas were still there nearly in the same place and we were able to spend a few more minutes watching them munch on their breakfast.
It's always a treat to see koalas in the wild, even as an Aussie.

The lighthouse had a nice little self-guided, interpretive trail with some signs for some of the historic outbuildings. One was particularly interesting- a small horse stable for the 2 work animals who had to endure harsh conditions year-round. The story however is that the pair of horses were well-loved as part of the family and cared for very well.
I do like a self-guided interpretive trail. Glad to hear the horses were well cared for.

You might find the flags on this sign fairly amusing.
🤣

It still would have been stunning, but in a different way. And you wouldn't have been as keen to linger 😉

I think, like Vegemite, coffee is an acquired taste. And you either like it or don't.
I actually like the coffee flavour, but only if it's offset by lots of sugar and milk.

Yes, ho-hum stuff out of a jar like Smuckers. I'll eat it, but so much adore homemade!
Ah, is that the stuff you refer to as 'jelly'? We don't really have anything like that in Australia. Generally any jam that you get is preserves style, even at the supermarket. Jelly only refers to what you call 'jello'.

That is so freaking crazy to me! I wonder if this was what I was thinking...?

CASUARIIFORMES: Casuariidae
EmuDromaius novaehollandiaeEndemic (country/region)
Kangaroo Island EmuDromaius baudinianusEndemic Extinct
That would make sense. Interesting that they went extinct in both Kangaroo Island and Tasmania... maybe they weren't cut out for island life!

I'll bet they are super pretty! We sadly, did not see any black ones.
I was thinking of you as I was walking through our little bush reserve yesterday. It was a beautiful spring day, with lots of wildflowers starting to bloom and everything glowing in the golden hour light. A flock of black cockatoos seemed to be following me around, and they looked so beautiful flying in formation against the golden sky. Wish I'd had a proper camera with me, it would have made the most stunning photo! Sadly this was the best I could capture on my phone. Taking more notice than I usually do, I didn't see any yellow on these ones.

1725844591777.png

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest