• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Photography Board Summer Assignment, 2010: Scavenger Hunt

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
By popular demand, I've put together a Scavenger Hunt for our next Assignment. The Assignment will span the entire summer, including the months of June, July and August. I am including all of the items at once so that people will have plenty of time to find, shoot and post.

This Assignment is open to everyone, regardless of skill level, type of camera you use, or whether or not you're a Photography Board "regular". The whole purpose of the Assignments are to get out and use your camera, therefore all pictures used in this assignment should be NEW.

Rules for Scavenger Hunt - PLEASE READ:

1. Post as often as you wish.

2. Photo MUST have which scavenger item it is listed with it in order to receive points. Only one picture per item as I've listed them, please.

3. Categories are open to your interpretation, but please don't stray "too far" from the intended meaning.

4. Pictures must be new, ie taken no earlier than the time of this post, and date picture taken should be verifiable by EXIF data. Pictures that are not new cannot be counted toward points.

5. Points will be awarded as follows:

- One point for each item.
- Two points for each item with one asterisk.
- Three points for each item with two asterisks.
- You can only get one, two or three points for each item, i.e. they are not cumulative.
- If you post an item and then later get a picture of that same item that's worth higher points, you may replace the picture but you will only get the points for the higher item, not both.

6. The Winner will be the person who scores the highest points by the end of the Assignment. There will also be Second and Third place Winners for points scored. Winners will get a trophy for their signature - to be developed. (Bragging rights go to those who get pictures from every letter and every asterisk category.) Winners will be determined after midnight on September 1, 2010. Entrants will keep track of their own points but these points must be verifiable. Winners can expect to have points tallied carefully and should be able to provide EXIF data for all photos.

7. No cheating or arguing, please. It's all just for fun. If there is an issue, please PM me.

As an aside, there may be times that, by nature of the item, your picture will be difficult to take. Heck, you may barely get it :laughing: which is fine. Post it, by all means, to get those points. :thumbsup2

But since this *is* a Photography Board and part of the reason we're doing this is to improve our skills, let's try whenever possible to take *good* photos which we can all not only enjoy, but learn from.

If there are any interesting stories that go along with your getting you pictures, of course we DO want to hear them! :lmao:

Editing is allowed, but not necessary.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!! :woohoo:

Scavenger Hunt Items

A

Adirondack chair
Artist at work*
Azalea
Antique*
Ambience*
Armed forces*
Autograph
Arlington National Cemetery*
Argyle
Attractive
Awaken
Airplane (from inside*; with pilot**)

B

Boardwalk* (excluding Disney's)
Boating (from inside or if boat moving*)
Birds nest
Bird eating (Close Up*)
BBQ shack*
Frosty Beer
Riding Bicycle
Bonfire*
Backwards*
Bubble
Balloon (Hot Air add*; from Inside Hot Air **)
Barber pole*
Barber (at work)*
Bridge (specialty bridge, like covered, suspension, draw, etc*)
Barnacle
Bartender (at work)*
Baseball stadium*
Baseball in flight*
Battlefield Site**
Berries
Bespectacled*
Butterfly*
Body Art (excluding self)
Barn Stall*
Buoy (with bird*)
Bakery Window
Bride*

C

Camp site
Costumed interpreter**
Celebrity**
Constellation*
Candlelight*
Craftsperson at work*
Clouds
Cemetery
Cotton candy (being made*)
Chowder (waterside dining*)
Clam shack*
Carhop**
Clown*
Cigar Store Indian*
Carousel
Capital Dome*
Club sandwich with toothpick*
Clock in Station*

D

Drive In marquis**
Demolition
Dragonfly
Dock
Dugout
Dusty
Dew*
Doggy bag*
Dog riding in car* (convertible or motorcycle**)
Disney (not from WDW or other Disney property)*
Delicious
Dessert (in restaurant or by candlelight*)
Decadent*
Daybreak*
Dance (formal*)
Drive Thru attendant*

E

Emotion/Expression
Equestrian* (in riding apparel)
Evening
Empty*
Eagle**
Emblem
Emu*
Earthworm
Eclipse**
Emergency** (don’t get in trouble!)
Live Entertainment*
Eggshell (recently hatched*)

F

Flower(s) (prize winning with ribbon*)
Fruit (prize winning with ribbon*)
Row of Flags*
Fountain (slow shutter speed*)
First haircut*
Flea or farmer’s market*
Fish/fishing
Fireworks
Frisbee in flight*
Friends
Finger painting*
Firefly*
Freight train (moving*)
Freckles*
Footprint(s)
Foggy*
Fair/festival (rides with long shutter speed trail*)

G

Garden
General Store sign*
Guitarist*
Giant
Gallop
Gangway
Grid
Picket fence gate
Geyser** (minus asterisks for Wilderness Lodge geyser)
Geranium
Goggles
Ornate Gravestone* (older than 1800**)
Ghost related* (Ghost Town**)
Gadget*
Groom*

H

Relaxing in Hammock
Helicopter (from inside**)
Hot! (person with perspiration* kinda gross, I know, lol)
History/historical* (local or national, explain)
Hydrant (open for fire or kids**)
Hors D’oeuvre(s)*
Holstein
Hummingbird* (feeding**)
Horizon
Headlight trails*
Eating a Hot Dog
Harley Davidson (with biker*)
Harbor
Hobby, yours
Horseback (from atop horse, w/ horse in picture*)
Hoedown** [Amazing people in New England came up with this one for you people in other parts of the country since we really have no idea what one is! :lmao: With that said, looking forward to seeing pictures of them.] Excludes Hoop De Doo Review.

I

American Indian in native dress**
Ice Cream cone
Ice Cream Truck* (and Ice Cream Man together**)
Ice Cream Counter (eating ice cream at counter*)
Irritable (can threaten our kids with embarrassment, lol)
Insects (on flower or feeding*)
Island
Celebration of Independence (Uncle Sam**)
Illusion*
Icon*
Inchworm
Historical ingenuity or invention*
Inn sign* (Excludes chain hotels or inns)
Inversion/inverted*
Iris (eye, close up or flower)
Itty bitty* (extremely small)

J

In a Jacuzzi* (hot tub)
Jalopy*
Jetty
Java
Jester*
Jimmies/sprinkles
Juke box*
Jeep (off road*; in motion off road**)
Jazzy

K

Kite (in flight*)
Kimodo dragon*
Kookaburra*
Kilt* (bagpiper in kilt**) excluding Off Kilter
Kayak (from inside while moving*)
Kangaroo*
Kazoo*
Katydid*
Kiss
Kitten

L

Lighthouse
Lightening**
Last day of school*
Lifeguard
Ladder extended on fire truck**
Lemonade stand*
Longhorn*
Famous Landmark*
Lively Pub

M

Ornate or unusual Mirror
Mullet
Museum
Mime*
Motorcycle with side car**
Moonlight
Mixer, restaurant or bakery*
Model
Mobbed*
Monastery* (with monk** or monk alone*)
Monument*
View from top of Mountain*
Moose*

N

Napping passenger in car
Neon Sign
Nature Trail
Newspaper press*
Newspaper Delivery Person**
Newborn baby*
National Park sign*
Navy Ship or Coast Guard Boat* (with Naval officer**)
Nocturnal
Needlepoint
Nun in habit**

O

Onion Rings (at fair or seaside*)
Orange [construction] cone (with construction worker*)
Octogenarian*
Obsolete*
Orthodonture
Old Glory
Olive (in martini*)
Orchid
Origami
Ox bow (on oxen*)
Owl*
Old things in attic*
Outdoor dining

P

Puppy
Pet in hat or other clothing (excluding bandana)*
Pool fun (mid-air dive or splash*)
Pier
Picnic
Penny Candy Counter*
Pushcart*
People in uniform at work (Up to three, each with*)
Pail and shovel in sand
Papoose**
Parrot
Penny Arcade*
Peppermint (A personal favorite! Make ‘em good for me!)
Pipe smoker* (tobacco)
Plantation*
Platypus*
Patisserie*

Q

Queue*
A Quote on plaque*
Quarter horse
Quietude
Quaint
Quad or Quint – something, your choice (explain)*
Quail*
Quahog*

R

Railway
Rollercoaster (wooden* or view from top**)
Roadside Diner Menu*
Rodent, wild
Rod and reel (in use*)
Rest Area Map*
Reflection*
Reunion*
Ring Toss game
Round (inanimate objects)

S

Seashells
Starfish*
Starbucks item
Sunset*
Sunrise*
Sawmill
Smore
Sizzle*
Street Performer*
Saloon*
Sparkler trail*
Sundial*
Summer concert
Stormy

T

Team
Train (from inside* or with conductor or engineer**)
Lost Tourist reading map*
Trifle
Tiki Hut*
Tubing
Toad
Turtle
Salt Water Taffy*
Outdoor Thermometer
Three Legged Race*
Tomahawk*
Torpedo

U

Drink with Umbrella*
Underwater*
Uniformed Soldier or Worker*
Udder*
U. S. Government Building
UPS Driver*
Undercarriage
Upside Down*

V

Vibrant
Volleyball game
Vacancy Sign*
Vegetable Garden (prize winning vegetables with ribbon*)
Valley (Valley Forge**)
Visitor Center information board
Veterinarian at work*
Victorian*

W

Wedding Cake*
Spider Web
Woof (dog barking)
Waddle
Winery*
Weathervane
Wind chime
Watermelon
Waterslide (from on**)
Whale in ocean**
A Win!

X

Add your own X* (Excludes Xmas)

Y

Something Yellow
Yourself*
Yankee

Z

Sunbather with Zinc Oxide on nose*
Zinnia
Zookeeper
Zig zag*
Zoot suit*

Copyright: Pea-n-Me/Mypieman

WOW! Nice job Linda! I will get right on this. Thanks for all your hard work getting these together!

What a great list, I am looking forward to this :) Can we only get one thing in each category, for example, can we only get one A or one of each theme in A? Understand?

Looking forward to trying this.....but will have to get a little creative with the Last Day of School one as all the schools here are already out for the summer......gotta think on that one! Great list!:thumbsup2

Wow Linda - you sure put a lot of thought (and work!) into this list! Thank you so much!

Although I took a ton of photos at the Memorial Day parade this morning and have many that will fit your categories, but they were all before you posted the list so I can't use any of them, darn it! Well, there's alway the 4th of July parade.....

4. Pictures must be new, ie taken no earlier than the time of this post, and date picture taken should be verifiable by EXIF data. Pictures that are not new cannot be counted toward points.

Darn, took a lot of good pics just today. Oh well, I will keep on snapping. :thumbsup2

Darn, took a lot of good pics just today. Oh well, I will keep on snapping. :thumbsup2

I said the same thing when I was reading it! We had a great weekend and there are quite a few I could have posted! :lmao: This is really going to be so much fun AND it gives me some ideas to do with the kids for the summer!

Great job Linda in putting this together and organizing it. I am looking forward to participating in this. Awesome list of things to "find". I took almost 1200 shots today at an all day rodeo event ... once I get thru them I am planning to dive in and start scavenging. :) Thanks for all your hard work to give us all this great activity for the summer.

It looks like it going to be a lot of fun. I bought a new camera back at the end of February and I been trying to take a picture a day with it. This will definely help with ideas. I can see a couple of road trips coming up this summer because of the scavenger hunt items. Bring on the Road Trip.

Wow! That's a lot of work Linda!:cheer2: It looks like fun. Now I just have to get up out of my Adirondack chair and get a picture of it.:lmao:

Seriously, I use Smugmug to post pictures here and it apparently strips the exif data. Does Flickr do the same? If it keeps the exif intact, I'll open a Flickr account just to use to post pictures here.

American Indian in native dress**

Whats considered native dress? Would a pow-wow type outfit count? I spend alot of time on the rez.

I made a few minor tweaks to the list so if you printed it already, please note the changes and/or reprint. (Please see post #25 for specifics.)

I'm glad everyone's excited about the Hunt! I am too.

I appreciate that everyone has some recent pics that would fit some of the categories - believe me, I do too. But to be fair, we all need to start with a clean slate from the outset. That's how all scavenger hunts are run.

Questions:

Can we only get one thing in each category, for example, can we only get one A or one of each theme in A? Understand?
You can get one or all in the category. The more you get, the more points you get.

will have to get a little creative with the Last Day of School one as all the schools here are already out for the summer......gotta think on that one!
Out already? Wow! I figure it's going to be pretty difficult for anyone to get everything on the list. I don't remember the last time I saw a platypus, for instance. :laughing: But I was thinking of some of our friends in different parts of the country - and other countries - and wanted to be sure there were things they could get, too. I think there's plenty there to keep us all busy, and I'll be pretty surprised if someone gets them all!

I can see a couple of road trips coming up this summer because of the scavenger hunt items. Bring on the Road Trip.
:thumbsup2 That's the spirit! Can't wait to see your work.

I use Smugmug to post pictures here and it apparently strips the exif data. Does Flickr do the same? If it keeps the exif intact, I'll open a Flickr account just to use to post pictures here.
You don't need to post the EXIF, just keep it handy so that if you're in the running as a winner, you can provide it. :) (Winners will have to show EXIF.) We're going to go on the Honor System here, but I'll hope that everyone follows the rules and uses new pictures.

Whats considered native dress? Would a pow-wow type outfit count? I spend alot of time on the rez.
Yes. You shouldn't have any trouble with the papoose and a few others, then, either. Your new camera's going to get a workout. ;)

This sounds like a fun summer activity to do with the help of my Jr. Explorer (DD2)! I am an amateur, but have a strong love for photography and just got a Nikon Coolpix L110 last month and am ready to give it a proper breaking-in!

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm going to have to start taking my camera everywhere with me!

I said the same thing when I was reading it! We had a great weekend and there are quite a few I could have posted! :lmao: This is really going to be so much fun AND it gives me some ideas to do with the kids for the summer!

and I got great shots for a Veterinarian at work LAST week :lmao: had my horses teeth floated oh well ....Linda you made a great list this is going to be fun :thumbsup2

and a question the EXIF data? is that when you right click on the picture for properties and see the date it was created ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter