OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

What does HH mean?
Hospitality House. There is a booking category near HH. Same amount of points per room as non HH rooms. Just be aware that the HH 1 bedrooms the only access to the bathroom is through the bedroom, if you have company staying in the living room. These were the early built buildings, they added a second entrance for the rest of the buildings.

Hospitality House. There is a booking category near HH. Same amount of points per room as non HH rooms. Just be aware that the HH 1 bedrooms the only access to the bathroom is through the bedroom, if you have company staying in the living room. These were the early built buildings, they added a second entrance for the rest of the buildings.

Oooh, so we should request a non-HH room? Thanks for the tip!

To clarify, it isn't only the near HH category rooms that were built before the design change to the second bathroom entrance. Any building number below 30 only has one entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom. This includes all the buildings on Millers Road (except for 62, 63 and 64), and it includes the buildings on Peninsular Road, buildings 23 to 29. To be safe, request Old Turtle Pond or South Point area. And when you make requests, make them directly, by calling or online chatting with DVC Member Services. If you do online check-in DO NOT select any requests at that time, it will override the requests you made with member services.

Here is a resort map:

noAre7p.jpg

Last edited:
You have to book the HH section specifically (it's a category like standard view and savannah view at AKV but no points difference). If you didn't, you're good to go.

I haven't received my points yet, so I haven't tried booking yet. But, that's helpful info! Thank you!

To clarify, it isn't only the near HH category rooms that were built before the design change to the second bathroom entrance. Any building number below 30 only has one entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom. This includes all the buildings on Millers Road (except for 62, 63 and 64), and it includes the buildings on Peninsular Road, buildings 23 to 29. To be safe, request Old Turtle Pond or South Point area. And when you make requests, make them directly, by calling or online chatting with DVC Member Services. If you do online check-in DO NOT select any requests at that time, it will override the requests you made with member services.

Chuck, you've clarified this before and it still somehow didn't stick the first time around! Thank you so much for sharing this again, that it's not just HH that has the bathroom entrance issue for guests! :worship:

I apologize for the misinformation. You'll not only want non-HH but also to request either South Point or Turtle Pond sections to ensure the bathroom entrance is separate!

We just returned from a trip in a 1-bedroom that was located in South Point, facing the canal. Cannot recommend this enough!!! So peaceful, esp. since the boats aren't running.

HTH!

I apologize for the misinformation. You'll not only want non-HH but also to request either South Point or Turtle Pond sections to ensure the bathroom entrance is separate!

We just returned from a trip in a 1-bedroom that was located in South Point, facing the canal. Cannot recommend this enough!!! So peaceful, esp. since the boats aren't running.

HTH!

That sounds so lovely! This trip will be with both of my sisters who are HUGE Disney fans, but they've never stayed at OKW. I'm so hopeful we'll be able to book & use our points for this trip!

Follow up question: How likely is it that someone can book a 1BR at OKW 6 weeks out?

That sounds so lovely! This trip will be with both of my sisters who are HUGE Disney fans, but they've never stayed at OKW. I'm so hopeful we'll be able to book & use our points for this trip!

Follow up question: How likely is it that someone can book a 1BR at OKW 6 weeks out?

OKW usually has good availability. It might be a little more difficult at peak times.

We have been to SSR the last two vacations and love the location, but DD wants her own bed this time (no more sofa bed) and I know they are still working on refurbishments at SSR. We are looking at going end of June. At SSR we like exploring the different pools. At OKW are there any interesting/fun pools besides the main pool? DD will be 9 at the time. Also, when were the rooms at OKW last renovated? Finally, has anyone taken Uber to Universal? We are trying to decide if we want to do a split stay Universal then OKW...or just enjoy OKW. Thanks!

We have been to SSR the last two vacations and love the location, but DD wants her own bed this time (no more sofa bed) and I know they are still working on refurbishments at SSR. We are looking at going end of June. At SSR we like exploring the different pools. At OKW are there any interesting/fun pools besides the main pool? DD will be 9 at the time. Also, when were the rooms at OKW last renovated? Finally, has anyone taken Uber to Universal? We are trying to decide if we want to do a split stay Universal then OKW...or just enjoy OKW. Thanks!
We really enjoyed staying at the Turtle Pond Rd area. There is a quiet pool there. There is also a snack bar there. It is closed right now but hopefully it will open by June.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/old-key-west-resort/turtle-shack-poolside-snacks/menus/

It has been 3 to 4 years since the OKW rooms were fully renovated, it was a rolling refurbishment gond building by building that took over a year.

Last edited:
It has been 3 to 4 years since the OKW rooms were fully renovated, it was a rolling refurbishment gond building by building that took over a year.
Not quite that long, Chuck. I have pictures from Dec 2018 and the bathroom was still pink. That might have been the tail end of the renovation since we were in Bldg 16 and they usually hit Miller's Road and HH area villas towards the end.

The only themed pool at OKW is the one at the Hospitality House. Miller's Rd, Turtle Pond and South Point are leisure pools without a slide. If your daughter is looking for her own bed, does that mean a studio at OKW with the two real queen beds? Or are you looking at a one bedroom. That will still have the king bed in the bedroom, sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair in the living room.

Not quite that long, Chuck. I have pictures from Dec 2018 and the bathroom was still pink. That might have been the tail end of the renovation since we were in Bldg 16 and they usually hit Miller's Road and HH area villas towards the end.

The only themed pool at OKW is the one at the Hospitality House. Miller's Rd, Turtle Pond and South Point are leisure pools without a slide. If your daughter is looking for her own bed, does that mean a studio at OKW with the two real queen beds? Or are you looking at a one bedroom. That will still have the king bed in the bedroom, sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair in the living room.
A studio. There are only three of us. Me, DH and DD.

A studio. There are only three of us. Me, DH and DD.
I understand where your daughter is coming from. We only stay in OKW studios so each of us can get our own queen bed. Sharing a queen just is not going to happen and no one deserves to sleep on a fold out bed.

We stayed in a studio in April of 2019 near the HH, we were assigned building 13 or 14 which was just renovated and put back in service less than a week before our stay. So they finished the room renovations sometime in April of 2019.

looking back on the OKW renovation thread buildings 11-14 were the last to be refurbished. I know they were still working on roofs and siding on a few buildings for a bit.

Last edited:
Has anyone stayed at OKW and used Uber to visit Universal?

We've used Uber and Lyft down at WDW although not to Universal. What is the specific question about using it to go to Universal? Last I saw they had the drop off in a convenient location at Universal but that was awhile ago so I guess it potentially could have moved. Universal website would tell you where the pick up and drop off is though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter