Official Star Wars Weekends 2013 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Clone Wars series being cancelled, and how that may effect SWW? Do you think that Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor will continue to be involved after this year?

Also, does anyone have any information about the series itself? Will it continue on Disney XD, or has it been out right cancelled? My kids (and DH) are devistated. They need to know what happens to Ashoka!!

This link has information and a video about Lucasfilm animation going in a different direction. The video with Dave Filoni gives some hope of arcs to come from Clone Wars.

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Clone Wars series being cancelled, and how that may effect SWW? Do you think that Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor will continue to be involved after this year?

Also, does anyone have any information about the series itself? Will it continue on Disney XD, or has it been out right cancelled? My kids (and DH) are devistated. They need to know what happens to Ashoka!!
It's future is unclear, but it's not airing on TV. As for it affecting SWW, maybe next year we'll see a change of hosts.

Greetings, everyone. It seems that the Force has guided me to my third consecutive SWW. And, again, I am privileged to be able to meet up with some friends and join them on their trip.

Additionally, this year, finally, I will be done with my costume, and will be a full member of the 501st Legion. Not sure if I will petition to parade with them or not for SWW, but, I will be there and hanging with my brethren.

I don't want to rehash anything that has already been said here, but, will post my top few issues to keep in mind, from my own experience:

1) You must learn patience. This is a big event, at a peak time. Lots of people. Very east to lose one's cool. BE as patient as you can when dealing with others and lines. We can all get through this.

2) Early in line gets you the autograph, every time. On both trips, I was able to get the autographs I wanted because I was in line early. Examples - 2 years ago, Anthony Daniels, I was Stand By #10, and got in, but, had I gotten up and moving just 30 minutes earlier, I would not have been standing in stand by through 2 sessions to get his autograph; last year, Ray Park, we were in line at 5:05 AM, my buddies and I were in the last 5 for the morning session (luckily, he made sure everyone got their autograph, even though he was almost an hour late due to pics and chatting with everyone-great guy!). The lesson, is be early, be patient, it will work.

3) Have a plan for what you want to do. We did this both trips, and, last year, with the exception of Ray Park's long wait which bumped the parade and my Build A Droid and Carbon Freeze, we got everything SWW related done in one day (Friday) . The others were made up in short order on Saturday, and we all were able to ride some rides together. And, we used a relaxed plan to do it. So, I cannot say enough about planning for what you want, and building time in for the crowds (see rule 1).

4) Hydration. Carry water with you everywhere, or at least something to put water in. You can fill it at fountains, get ice from drink carts and restaurants, etc.. It is HOT and HUMID. Since I am from New Orleans, this is not a problem, as I am used to it as a way of life. Some of you from other parts of the US or the World may not be. Do not take it for granted. The coolest ride you never want to go on is the Reedy Creek Improvement District EMS to Celebration's hospital. Did that once due to my wife's back issues. Don't want to fall out during the day and miss events when you can prevent it.

5) Take frequent sit downs, in shade, if possible. When waiting for the theater shows, the queue is in the shade. It may still be warm, but it can keep you out of direct sun. And, with minor exceptions, folks are pretty cool about letting a member of your party back in after going for a bathroom or water run. This will help keep your energy up so you can go all day.

6) Be excellent to one another. Bill & Ted had this one right. It applies to Disney tripping in general, but, most folks going to the SWW events are geeks/nerds who love this stuff as much as you (or your kids). Being cool to one another helps everyone enjoy it better. I always try to crack jokes, or read shirts, or something, with the folks in line. The costumed people, I compliment their work (after my ordeal, I have gathered a much greater appreciation for the effort that goes into costuming now). It's all part of the collective experience of the event. And that can be as much fun as meeting a star, seeing a show, or getting a character picture.

I can't think of any other major items to share right now, but, sticking to the six things above are huge things that can help all over, and be applied whether you want to do Jedi Academy, Padawan Mind Challenge (or whatever they call it now), see the stars, get character pics, just walk around, or whatever.

Anyone wanting to meet up while down there, fee free to PM me, and we can see what we can do. Of course, anyone with questions, post away, or PM, too.

May the Force be With You All!!

Ash

Greetings, everyone. It seems that the Force has guided me to my third consecutive SWW. And, again, I am privileged to be able to meet up with some friends and join them on their trip.

Additionally, this year, finally, I will be done with my costume, and will be a full member of the 501st Legion. Not sure if I will petition to parade with them or not for SWW, but, I will be there and hanging with my brethren.

I don't want to rehash anything that has already been said here, but, will post my top few issues to keep in mind, from my own experience:

1) You must learn patience. This is a big event, at a peak time. Lots of people. Very east to lose one's cool. BE as patient as you can when dealing with others and lines. We can all get through this.

2) Early in line gets you the autograph, every time. On both trips, I was able to get the autographs I wanted because I was in line early. Examples - 2 years ago, Anthony Daniels, I was Stand By #10, and got in, but, had I gotten up and moving just 30 minutes earlier, I would not have been standing in stand by through 2 sessions to get his autograph; last year, Ray Park, we were in line at 5:05 AM, my buddies and I were in the last 5 for the morning session (luckily, he made sure everyone got their autograph, even though he was almost an hour late due to pics and chatting with everyone-great guy!). The lesson, is be early, be patient, it will work.

3) Have a plan for what you want to do. We did this both trips, and, last year, with the exception of Ray Park's long wait which bumped the parade and my Build A Droid and Carbon Freeze, we got everything SWW related done in one day (Friday) . The others were made up in short order on Saturday, and we all were able to ride some rides together. And, we used a relaxed plan to do it. So, I cannot say enough about planning for what you want, and building time in for the crowds (see rule 1).

4) Hydration. Carry water with you everywhere, or at least something to put water in. You can fill it at fountains, get ice from drink carts and restaurants, etc.. It is HOT and HUMID. Since I am from New Orleans, this is not a problem, as I am used to it as a way of life. Some of you from other parts of the US or the World may not be. Do not take it for granted. The coolest ride you never want to go on is the Reedy Creek Improvement District EMS to Celebration's hospital. Did that once due to my wife's back issues. Don't want to fall out during the day and miss events when you can prevent it.

5) Take frequent sit downs, in shade, if possible. When waiting for the theater shows, the queue is in the shade. It may still be warm, but it can keep you out of direct sun. And, with minor exceptions, folks are pretty cool about letting a member of your party back in after going for a bathroom or water run. This will help keep your energy up so you can go all day.

6) Be excellent to one another. Bill & Ted had this one right. It applies to Disney tripping in general, but, most folks going to the SWW events are geeks/nerds who love this stuff as much as you (or your kids). Being cool to one another helps everyone enjoy it better. I always try to crack jokes, or read shirts, or something, with the folks in line. The costumed people, I compliment their work (after my ordeal, I have gathered a much greater appreciation for the effort that goes into costuming now). It's all part of the collective experience of the event. And that can be as much fun as meeting a star, seeing a show, or getting a character picture.

I can't think of any other major items to share right now, but, sticking to the six things above are huge things that can help all over, and be applied whether you want to do Jedi Academy, Padawan Mind Challenge (or whatever they call it now), see the stars, get character pics, just walk around, or whatever.

Anyone wanting to meet up while down there, fee free to PM me, and we can see what we can do. Of course, anyone with questions, post away, or PM, too.

May the Force be With You All!!

Ash

As a fellow 501st member ;)
You so have to march !!!! Its like the best !!!
At least for me ,i live for the parades even back here at home ;)

If youve never done it .. Then i recomend it just to say youve done it . At least once .

As a fellow 501st member ;)
You so have to march !!!! Its like the best !!!
At least for me ,i live for the parades even back here at home ;)

If youve never done it .. Then i recomend it just to say youve done it . At least once .

I've wrangled for a couple Mardi Gras parades, and it is AWESOME, but, like I said, this trip will be more about having fun with our friends. Of course, if the Force leads me to parade, then HECK YEAH, I'm in!

Ash

We went to our very first SWW last year and it was a huge success thanks to all of you on here. With all of the advice you gave in the 2012 thread I was able to map out our day. We were there on the very last day of SWW 2012.

This year we will be at weekend 3 and will be there all weekend instead of just one day. Last year we were able to do JTA, meet a few characters, build our own droids, ride ST about 5 times (Yikes!), shop in Darth's Maul with little crowds, plus squeeze in TSM, ToT, RnRc and a few HS shows (not SWW related). With 3 young kiddos I thought we did pretty well. :cool1:

My question this year.......what do we need to add to our agenda that is a MUST DO for SWW since we will have more time. We are not particularly interested in celebrity autographs for a couple of reasons. First of all no one wants to get up that early. :rotfl2: Second, we thought time would be an issue last year.

So....hit me! We all love SW! What else should we not miss. :yay:

Thanks for everything!

We are going to SWW on Sun 5/26. Will we have time to see Hyperspace Hoopa, and then make it to Fantasmic! in time for the first show at 9:00? We will be doing the Fantasmic! Dinner Package at Mama Melrose, so our reserved section is only for the first show, but I don't know if we could get there in time. I'm not sure how long Hyperspace Hoopla is, and how early we need to be in the Fantasmic! theater to get our seats.

Thanks!

We are going to SWW on Sun 5/26. Will we have time to see Hyperspace Hoopa, and then make it to Fantasmic! in time for the first show at 9:00? We will be doing the Fantasmic! Dinner Package at Mama Melrose, so our reserved section is only for the first show, but I don't know if we could get there in time. I'm not sure how long Hyperspace Hoopla is, and how early we need to be in the Fantasmic! theater to get our seats.

Thanks!
Depends on when Hoopla is shown this year.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense.

I was going on the assumption that it would be at 8:00 based on last year's schedule. What do you think if Hoopla is at 8:00? Thanks!

I've never done the Fantasmic! Package so I don't know how long they will hold your spot, but if Hoopla is at 8pm it's usually 30min. I would think you would be at the F! theater around 8:40ish. Like I said I'm not sure if they'll hold the spot.

I've never done the Fantasmic! Package so I don't know how long they will hold your spot, but if Hoopla is at 8pm it's usually 30min. I would think you would be at the F! theater around 8:40ish. Like I said I'm not sure if they'll hold the spot.

Thanks so much! Hoopla is a priority since on our last trip it was rained out. We'd also love to see Fantasmic!, but I don't think the kids will last until the 10:30 show if we miss the first one.

One last question about seeing the Hoopla... Do you have a recommendation of where we should watch the Hoopla if we are trying to rush over to the Fantasmic theater right after it is over? I was thinking about at the AI screen instead of the stage. Thanks!

Anyone have any tips/tricks for going to SWW solo...? I am a patient girl and don't mind waiting alone (will have my iPhone & kindle plus loads of things to look at so not worried there) but am starting to wonder how I am going to handle hours long lines if I need to... answer nature's call. I don't think I realized how very hot it will be in May, so I am sure I will be drinking a lot of water. Do you find that people in line with you are willing to let a solo girl pop out to the restroom or is that instantly game over for me..? :worried:

Anyone have any tips/tricks for going to SWW solo...? I am a patient girl and don't mind waiting alone (will have my iPhone & kindle plus loads of things to look at so not worried there) but am starting to wonder how I am going to handle hours long lines if I need to... answer nature's call. I don't think I realized how very hot it will be in May, so I am sure I will be drinking a lot of water. Do you find that people in line with you are willing to let a solo girl pop out to the restroom or is that instantly game over for me..? :worried:
All depends on the person. The best thing to do is visit the bathroom when nothing is going on.

AquaDame said:

People are really nice and will hold your spot. There are plenty of solo travelers and I've never seen someone not hold a place for another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter