***Official June 2018***

Hi everyone!! :wave:After reading the boards for quite some time, I figured it was time for my first post. Thank you to everyone for all of your wonderful advice! I’m so excited to be joining all of you in June. It will be me, my husband, and our two boys (2 & 4 yrs old). We are doing a split stay starting at POR 6/10-6/16 and then heading over to the YC 6/16-6/23. 2 weeks to go!!!! :yay:

Welcome to the disboards and welcome to our thread! Sounds like two great resorts, and a nice long vacation. It'll be here before you know it!

In 5 days, we (wife::MinnieMo, two daughters:earsgirl::earsgirl:, and I::MickeyMo) will be in flight on our way to 8 nights on property... 1st in a 1bdrm at Saratoga Springs, the rest in a 1bdrm at the BoardWalk Villas. I

This is a big trip for several reasons. We're celebrating a semester of straight A's in college and high school. This is also our last big trip before our youngest (16) leaves to spend a year (well, 11 months) as a Rotary Youth Exchange student in Denmark. So excited for the opportunities that will offer her (we've been deeply involved in that program since 2004), but also dreading having her gone for so long!

Welcome! And I am actually an alum of the Rotary Exchange program! I got into it through an exchange student that came from Sweden to the US and was involved in the short term exchange to Australia back in 2000. I know your daughter has probably spent a lot of time with the returned and the current exchanged students and clearly you're familiar with the program. But I'm sure you can't help but worry when it's your own going this time! It's a great experience and it sounds like she got a wonderful host country. My parents didn't want me to do the full 11 months but I think it would've been really fun. I hope you enjoy your trip and tell her good luck from an alum!

Someone tell me everything is going to be ok with the weather. We're going June 9th-19th

Do you mean in general? Because it will rain and will be likely be very humid and hot. But not as bad as the height of the summer. The tropical disturbance that's happening now won't even really impact beyond maybe tomorrow. There's always a chance of something developing so I wouldn't exactly obsess over the possibility, just be aware so you can adjust your plan and thinking. The NHC website and Tropical Tidbits are places that I bookmark and start looking at about 2 weeks out from a trip.

My BFF of 33 years and I are heading down next Saturday for a full week, June 2-9 at BWV! We go every year and this is actually our 25th year going together (my mom used to take her along on our family’s vacations starting when we were 14) and this is the first time I think EVER that we’re going for a FULL week. It’s also my 40th trip overall... and I still get this excited!

Welcome! And I am actually an alum of the Rotary Exchange program! I got into it through an exchange student that came from Sweden to the US and was involved in the short term exchange to Australia back in 2000. I know your daughter has probably spent a lot of time with the returned and the current exchanged students and clearly you're familiar with the program. But I'm sure you can't help but worry when it's your own going this time! It's a great experience and it sounds like she got a wonderful host country. My parents didn't want me to do the full 11 months but I think it would've been really fun. I hope you enjoy your trip and tell her good luck from an alum!

Thanks for the well-wishes, and it's great to hear that you're an RYE alum! I'm biased, but I believe it's the best program out there.

We've had 4 kids (girls from France, Thailand, and Brazil, and a boy from Turkey). The first arrived in 2005, when Bridget was 4 yrs old. And I was our Rotary district's inbound coordinator for several years, so we had district events in town and, on occasion, a house full of maybe 15-18 students and counselors staying the night. She's grown up knowing Rotary and RYE.

Yet, as familiar as I am with the program, it is true that it is different when it's your own child! Our district doesn't participate in the short-term program, so it's 11 months or nothing here. This wasn't the thing for my oldest daughter, but having watched many kids go through this program, our youngest has the personality and character traits that will give her a strong likelihood of success as an RYE student.

Someone tell me everything is going to be ok with the weather. We're going June 9th-19th

We will be checking in at AoA on June 17. This will be our 7th June trip in 17 years. We've never had a June trip ruined by rain. I don't even remember having an "all day" rain event on any of our June trips. I do remember one year we had no rain during any day of our stay (there were a few overnight showers that week, though). Most years we experience a brief afternoon shower a few days during our stay. We usually just duck in to an indoor attraction, restaurant, or gift shop during that time. Sometimes we'll go in to an attraction while it's nice and sunny and even though it's nice and sunny when we come out, there are puddles everywhere because it has rained while we were inside.

I will say that during our trip in May 2009, it did rain pretty much all day (and night) every day of our trip, but it still didn't ruin our trip. We had a great time. Lines were short, crowds were light. And while I wouldn't ever *want* it to rain while we're at Disney, I wouldn't want to be on vacation anywhere else and have it rain the entire time we're there.

The important thing is to be prepared for rain (have rain ponchos, plenty of socks, and at least 2 pair of shoes for everyone) just in case you do get a lot of rain during your stay. We always bring our rain gear to Disney World, but we rarely need to use it -- it doesn't even usually get unpacked. Keep an eye on the forecast but don't dwell on it as it can change very quickly (either direction). I don't trust the weather forecast more than about 24 hours out. The time we had rain all week, the weather was originally predicted to be sunny and dry most of the week just 24 hours before our arrival -- no hint of a tropical depression parking itself over Central Florida for 10 days. Just be prepared and then forget about it. :)

We will be checking in at AoA on June 17. This will be our 7th June trip in 17 years. We've never had a June trip ruined by rain. I don't even remember having an "all day" rain event on any of our June trips. I do remember one year we had no rain during any day of our stay (there were a few overnight showers that week, though). Most years we experience a brief afternoon shower a few days during our stay. We usually just duck in to an indoor attraction, restaurant, or gift shop during that time. Sometimes we'll go in to an attraction while it's nice and sunny and even though it's nice and sunny when we come out, there are puddles everywhere because it has rained while we were inside.

I will say that during our trip in May 2009, it did rain pretty much all day (and night) every day of our trip, but it still didn't ruin our trip. We had a great time. Lines were short, crowds were light. And while I wouldn't ever *want* it to rain while we're at Disney, I wouldn't want to be on vacation anywhere else and have it rain the entire time we're there.

The important thing is to be prepared for rain (have rain ponchos, plenty of socks, and at least 2 pair of shoes for everyone) just in case you do get a lot of rain during your stay. We always bring our rain gear to Disney World, but we rarely need to use it -- it doesn't even usually get unpacked. Keep an eye on the forecast but don't dwell on it as it can change very quickly (either direction). I don't trust the weather forecast more than about 24 hours out. The time we had rain all week, the weather was originally predicted to be sunny and dry most of the week just 24 hours before our arrival -- no hint of a tropical depression parking itself over Central Florida for 10 days. Just be prepared and then forget about it. :)
We will be checking into AOA Cars Suites on June 18th. Hoping for good weather, but we will be prepared for the rain.

I have a reservation for 11:30 at hollywood & vine. Is it possible to make a 1:00pm Indiana Jones show. Cannot get an earlier lunch than that and we have plans to visit Disney Springs after the show.
Ask for the check immediately upon sitting so you can settle up as soon as your ready to go.

Today’s the day for us! Off to a slow start due to some computer system malfunction with southwest. Hopefully we don’t have to completely deplane and start over. I can only imagine how disorganized that would be. Good thing we’re going to universal first or we’d be missing some FP already

I know some others of you are starting up soon or might be there already! Bon voyage to you! I’ll be posting some as I have time. I’m also in the Facebook group and I’ll be posting to there as well!

Today’s the day for us! Off to a slow start due to some computer system malfunction with southwest. Hopefully we don’t have to completely deplane and start over. I can only imagine how disorganized that would be. Good thing we’re going to universal first or we’d be missing some FP already

I know some others of you are starting up soon or might be there already! Bon voyage to you! I’ll be posting some as I have time. I’m also in the Facebook group and I’ll be posting to there as well!
Have a great trip. I hope you don’t have any more transportation problems.

If this is the worst that happens, you're golden.

Hope to see you Saturday at RnR!!!! :tigger:

Hopefully this is the only snag you hit during your trip!! Enjoy yourselves!!

Have a great trip @Roxyfire !

FYI- my CM daughter just texted and rumor is (take with all the grains of salt for cast member rumors!) is soft opening for Toy Story land June 19...
Probably about as reliable as bus driver information but fingers crossed for those of you going then!

Enjoy your trip RF!

Can you please share the name of the FB group you speak of?

We are 27 days away from a 10 day trip to WDW with an offsite stay at the Waldorf Astoria - Bonnet Creek! Yearly family vacation for my wife, DS5, DD2 and I. Also bringing along my mother-in-law with us! We were at WDW exactly 1 year ago today and we cannot wait to go back!

FYI- my CM daughter just texted and rumor is (take with all the grains of salt for cast member rumors!) is soft opening for Toy Story land June 19...
Probably about as reliable as bus driver information but fingers crossed for those of you going then!
Sounds about right since we leave Disney for the beach on June 18th. Oh well

A friend of mine has a good friend that's a CM at DHS and she (the CM) said they would be doing soft openings the 25-29 (she was going to text me when she knew the exact hours but we're leaving on the 24th). To me, it makes more sense that they would be doing them beginning the 19th as that gives them more time to fix the glitches. I'm hoping your info is correct because we actually have a DHS day planned on 6/19. :)

A friend of mine has a good friend that's a CM at DHS and she (the CM) said they would be doing soft openings the 25-29 (she was going to text me when she knew the exact hours but we're leaving on the 24th). To me, it makes more sense that they would be doing them beginning the 19th as that gives them more time to fix the glitches. I'm hoping your info is correct because we actually have a DHS day planned on 6/19. :)
Actually it wouldn't surprise me to find that the 19th week is CM preview with soft opening the following week. Then the media stuff and official opening.

1/2 day of work today-really planned on pulling stuff together for trip but instead-sitting on deck with wine, enjoying some nice weather.
got my Tumbler a while ago-minnie with monogram (@ArielSRL was it you who had the tumblers?); took it with me to st louis (father in laws bday party)-funny no one was surprised to see me with a Disney cup:rotfl:
Finally bought our Universal tickets too. Planning on season pass upgrade when we go...4 more sleeps til we hit the road!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter