• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

News Round Up 2020

so we are going for the actual 50th - and have our park reservation for MK on Oct 1st - so we knew there were going to be crowds when we booked it. We figured this is sort of an extra and special trip and is more about just being there, rather than getting a lot accomplished
I was very tempted to book the 50th, but the heat plus crowds plus prices made me skip it.

Well, we won't be there on the 50th, not until near end of month. We will just pack our patience! :D Now my sister is also joining us for a few days, along with my brother. Luckily they are mostly excited just to eat their way around food/wine for the week...

But now I have to fight the slight hope that maybe, just maybe, masks might be gone....

Last edited:
I wonder when DCL resumes if they will be sending out free MBs (or similar). Royal Caribbean already has their version called WOW Bands (purchased onboard for ~$5, but free for higher stateroom classes). Each WOW band is unique to that sailing and not reusable.
I've never found the WOW bands to be of much use on board. Yes, they open the cabin door. Yes, you can charge with them but you still have to fill out the slip. My room key works just fine for those things. And most of the time they don't match my ensemble. ;)

Oh, and I've got the same opinion on Magic Bands and wouldn't use them on a DCL ship either.

I've never found the WOW bands to be of much use on board. Yes, they open the cabin door. Yes, you can charge with them but you still have to fill out the slip. My room key works just fine for those things. And most of the time they don't match my ensemble. ;)

Oh, and I've got the same opinion on Magic Bands and wouldn't use them on a DCL ship either.

I never had a portfolio match, but that's a different story.

I've only sailed Celebrity, Carnival (decades ago) and NCL (none had any band....yet). The slip you are talking about is the signature with tip (as applicable)? I guess a benefit of the band is not having to dig into a pocket to get the room key out each time (or in our case, placed in a lanyard).

You are my people so I have to post here.

So incredibly, incredibly bummed right now. Our Walnut had another ED visit that was quite costly, we will get some back though due to insurance. I love this cat more than anything, but this guy is costings us zillions! :D But with my pay-cut and Micky's job loss for most of this year, we are crunching numbers and I'm so sad to say going this May would be too much of a stress on our finances. :(

We postponed to October 20-29, 2021 when we will (knock wood) be well back on our feet financially. We decided not to wait until next year because who the heck knows what that will bring.

I know compared to everything going on in the world, this is nothing, but it stings.

So sorry lady. I hope Walnut is doing okay.

What do the kids use them for (interactivity)?

I am aghast they would charge $15 to keep it (they aren't exactly paying shipping charges to the guest). I understand they have to ship them to the cruise ship, but these aren't exactly lead weights.

Nothing - they are just for entry into the kids club area .... But they are a unique design for just the cruise ship, so, hey

I never had a portfolio match, but that's a different story.

I've only sailed Celebrity, Carnival (decades ago) and NCL (none had any band....yet). The slip you are talking about is the signature with tip (as applicable)? I guess a benefit of the band is not having to dig into a pocket to get the room key out each time (or in our case, placed in a lanyard).

Wait, I should have been matching my ensaemble and my portfolio?!?!!!

I have been doing my life very wrong

What do the kids use them for (interactivity)?

I am aghast they would charge $15 to keep it (they aren't exactly paying shipping charges to the guest). I understand they have to ship them to the cruise ship, but these aren't exactly lead weights.

Sounds more like you are not supposed to take them with you so it's a "lost key" fee.

Well, we made it - the last day for this thread ... over 13,000 replies, over 1 million views

Thanks, of course, to @rteetz for moderating the thread and (mostly) keeping us in check

2020 is certainly one for the record books and will not be forgotten soon. This thread, and the others in this forum have definitely been a bright spot for me

And while things won't magically turn around at midnight tonight, I think we can approach tomorrow with a greater sense of hope than we have been able to for a while

Come on 2021, at least be better than 2020 - which is a pretty low bar to achieve!

200.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter