News Round Up 2017

Hmmm, maybe ESPN isn't doing as bad as we all think it is?

It is...

But that has nothing to do with the president.

It's just that people don't want to pay either disney nor the cable companies the ransom anymore. There are other options now.

They'll just ride the horse until it collapses...or find some sucker to buy it.

News

Christopher Tolkien resigns from Tolkien estate. Does this open the door for theme park attractions?

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-tolkien-resigns/

That is very interesting. I'm sure the grandkids and other children might be more interested in money and less interested in preserving his legacy.

I'm just not really sure LOTR or the Hobbit lends themselves to attractions. Sure, I could see a hobbit village or the Prancing Pony or Green Dragon do well. But an actual attraction? Not sure.

That is very interesting. I'm sure the grandkids and other children might be more interested in money and less interested in preserving his legacy.

I'm just not really sure LOTR or the Hobbit lends themselves to attractions. Sure, I could see a hobbit village or the Prancing Pony or Green Dragon do well. But an actual attraction? Not sure.

I don't know, something that goes through the mountains with animatronic creatures and dragons and stuff ... like a next generation dark ride could be pretty cool

I would pay good money to ride a mine cart through the Mines of Moria. Enter past the guardian of the lake, plunge into darkness, hear and then see the Orcs coming, flee through an arrow storm through the ruins of the Dwarf Caverns, pause on the long Bridge to be threatened by the Balrog, and then flee again out the door to Lothlorien.

This could be an exceptional dark/thrill ride hybrid. Of course the carts have no real place in the lore, but you have to ride in something. I'd love to explore Orthanc with an Ent or eat in a restaurant from Laketown. With Dueling Dragons going away, you could also do dark ride/thrill ride to rescue the Arkenstone and flee from Smaug. Sure I'd rather it hew closer to the book than the movies, but I'd take either.

I'd probably be more excited about a Tolkien based land than Star Wars or Harry Potter.

I don't know, something that goes through the mountains with animatronic creatures and dragons and stuff ... like a next generation dark ride could be pretty cool

I would pay good money to ride a mine cart through the Mines of Moria. Enter past the guardian of the lake, plunge into darkness, hear and then see the Orcs coming, flee through an arrow storm through the ruins of the Dwarf Caverns, pause on the long Bridge to be threatened by the Balrog, and then flee again out the door to Lothlorien.

This could be an exceptional dark/thrill ride hybrid. Of course the carts have no real place in the lore, but you have to ride in something. I'd love to explore Orthanc with an Ent or eat in a restaurant from Laketown. With Dueling Dragons going away, you could also do dark ride/thrill ride to rescue the Arkenstone and flee from Smaug. Sure I'd rather it hew closer to the book than the movies, but I'd take either.

I'd probably be more excited about a Tolkien based land than Star Wars or Harry Potter.

Ok yeah, I could see both those rides.

Dark ride would be fantastic, but are parks even interested in traditional dark rides anymore?

I wouldn't mind a room in a dark ride being Lothlorien. That could be fantastic. Haha, so maybe what I want is a dark ride following Frodo's footsteps.

I think it could make an amazing attraction - I like the one you have laid out. I think I would still prefer a Star Wars or Harry Potty Land to an entire Land of LotR, but for a single ride (or mini land) I think it could be amazing

Ok yeah, I could see both those rides.

Dark ride would be fantastic, but are parks even interested in traditional dark rides anymore?

I wouldn't mind a room in a dark ride being Lothlorien. That could be fantastic. Haha, so maybe what I want is a dark ride following Frodo's footsteps.

Well Disney did do Frozen, Little Mermaid and Navi River lately. So yeah, I think so. But if you are going to a do a whole land, it probably needs a thrill ride and a dark ride. Though I would pay good money to walk through a forest with AA Ents that interact with you. There is so much you could do. The settings of LOTR and The Hobbit would be the draw. You could have a kids play area set up like Hobbittown, and a restaurant section with Laketown. Pick one of several fortress towns for the shopping district, though I'd go with Gondor. And then the rides taking you through the excitement. Heck, if you are Universal you could even set up in two parks again, and connect them with a trip through the Caves of the Dead or a ride on the Ghost Ships.

News

Christopher Tolkien resigns from Tolkien estate. Does this open the door for theme park attractions?

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-tolkien-resigns/

I don't know about theme park attractions, but I am interested in future movies/TV shows about the property. I am a Tolkien devotee, and find the fantasy books to be iconic in that genre. As far as the movies go, I loved the Lord of the Rings movies. The Hobbit....not so much. If there were ways to stay devoted to the source material, a Beren and Luthien movie would be incredible.

Back to the theme park question, I wouldn't be surprised if UNI went after that. Imagine JK Rowling's world alongside Middle Earth. That gives one pause for thought. I wonder if Disney would be down with that happening...

Is there a realistic concern that Disney doesn't have enough IP to fill their parks and then some? I don't think they use half of what they should/could.

In most sense I agree. But the possibility of having the grandfather of fantasy series, and a series that has stayed popular and relevant for 70+ years, it's worth going after.

Is there a realistic concern that Disney doesn't have enough IP to fill their parks and then some? I don't think they use half of what they should/could.

I certainly think that they do have more than enough. Even more if the Fox deal goes through. However, the Potter effect was palpable in multiple ways. I would entertain the possibility that a Tolkien themed land/world/set of attractions/etc. could also draw in the crowds. And imagine of Peter Jackson and his creative team became involved. There is already a relationship with Jackson and UNI with Kong. I would almost be surprised if this subject wasn't approached by UNI. What a better way to full their new land purchases and resorts.

I certainly think that they do have more than enough. Even more if the Fox deal goes through. However, the Potter effect was palpable in multiple ways. I would entertain the possibility that a Tolkien themed land/world/set of attractions/etc. could also draw in the crowds. And imagine of Peter Jackson and his creative team became involved. There is already a relationship with Jackson and UNI with Kong. I would almost be surprised if this subject wasn't approached by UNI. What a better way to full their new land purchases and resorts.
Seeing how Disney has done things with Pandora and Galaxy's Edge, if they had LOTR, they would probably build a land that is from the same universe as LOTR, but not something that actually appeared in the books or the movies.

5 years ago...I would have said that no themed land could eclipse the appeal of a full Star Wars one...

...now I'm wondering
I really think Disney should add another Star Wars section to the magic kingdom after galaxies edge is up and running for a few years. Use one of those games expansion pads beyond the railroad track, and tie it in with the original trilogy (preferably)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter