News Round Up 2017

The thing I 100% agree with you on the galaxys edge discussion is the geography of the orlando one. It absolutely should be way bigger, given the crowds they attract down there.

Also my definition of “well done” is great theming and rides. Although that is a blanket term that I and most everyone else uses. It probably can be attributed to the context of the land. As you mentioned “well done” for avatar is different than “well done” for Star Wars. Because I do believe that avatar is well done. But I’m hoping that they give us more things to do in galaxys edge (I think it needed an additional ride or two myself). As you said, we’ll see

See?...the kids always show back up at dinner...

I don't think we were really suggesting that...

...but if you were the world's largest media company, with land and itching to build...then I think that might be interesting...

Eh there was def discussion about Disney. I'm with you, I think there is a real chance Universal take a run at that. Another series designed for the older crowd. Putting that with Potter could really take a run at Star Wars.

You and me both. When the Rohirrim charge the Haradrim on the Oliphants, that might be one of the greatest cavalry charges in cinema. Jackson did such a great job shooting the Rohirrim sequences. They had around 200 live horses and riders for that first charge against the goblins.

When you get down to it, there are so many iconic images and scenes in the LotR, what one could do with a theme park staggers the imagination (Charlie Brown quote there).

Totally agree...I'm not a gigantic Jackson fan...the hobbit was awful "attack of the clones" esque CGI nonsense...

...but the two charge scenes at the end of the two towers and return of the king were just fantastic...modern lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus or Doctor Zhivago caliber...

Ian mackellan'a portrayal during the two towers and the great Bernard Shaw's Theoden were beautifully acted/shot...

Last edited:
See, I’d MUCH rather have a land than a show. I’m watching Amazon’s plans for a LotR show with a lot of nervousness... the Hobbit movies were enough for me to feel we should leave well enough alone

If it is another take at storylines during the Hobbit and LotR time period, then I will be nervous.

If, however, they try some storylines during the time of the Silmarillion, that might be interesting. Christopher Tolkien tried his best to publish stories that were incomplete. So those might benefit from some creative licensing, again if done properly. The Children of Hurin, the life of Feanor or the founding of Imladris and the forging of the rings by Celebrimbor could be great...if done appropriately.

A Tolkien land would be difficult in my opinion. His geography was expansive. It would be great to say let’s build the Shire. But how is that done exactly? Build one hobbit hole and the Green Dragon in Bywater and call it a day? I think building an immersive and successful Tolkien based land would be tough for it to come off feeling fulfilling. Maybe a single dark ride in a Studios type park following the one ring through its existence might be cool. But again, is that what most would want?

The thing I 100% agree with you on the galaxys edge discussion is the geography of the orlando one. It absolutely should be way bigger, given the crowds they attract down there.

Also my definition of “well done” is great theming and rides. Although that is a blanket term that I and most everyone else uses. It probably can be attributed to the context of the land. As you mentioned “well done” for avatar is different than “well done” for Star Wars. Because I do believe that avatar is well done. But I’m hoping that they give us more things to do in galaxys edge (I think it needed an additional ride or two myself). As you said, we’ll see

I definitely don't disagree with this - though I think they are structuring the Land to be an attraction in itself, so there is more to do there than "just two ride" .... I also recognize they are creating the lands as is to save costs by having the two versions being near identical ..... but I really do hope they expand in the future (and I mean beyond the hotel). If 10 years from now there aren't more than 2 rides I will be disappointed

I'd be in the camp that the Flordia Star Wars isn't big enough. I understand the land restrictions in California. Nearly being a carbon copy, seems like the easy way out. They have a lot to do in Florida to catch up with the "neglect" of the last decade or so. I do think we see another Star Wars land in Florida at one of the existing parks(not animal kingdom). I suspect you would make it an expansion of DHS. I suspect there are making a realization that they can be hitting their comfortable carrying capacity in the very near future. A 5th gate might not make sense. However, substantial growth of the parks can get them that capacity, with less effort than a 5th gate.
I think DHS has one more "land" in it. Animal Kingdom does as well. Epcot can grow more, and I think could support another "land" as a full addition. Magic kingdom, I think can expand a bit, but I don't think they'll break the formula and add another "land". Maybe add attractions outwards, but not a full land.
For me, I think Epcot needs to be the next spot to concentrate their effort on. They've started a bit. However, I think there is a lot more potential there.

I definitely don't disagree with this - though I think they are structuring the Land to be an attraction in itself, so there is more to do there than "just two ride" .... I also recognize they are creating the lands as is to save costs by having the two versions being near identical ..... but I really do hope they expand in the future (and I mean beyond the hotel). If 10 years from now there aren't more than 2 rides I will be disappointed

See here's the thing...

For 19.5 years...the standard excuse for animal kingdom has been "it's the detail...it's more than just the rides"

While true...the reality is that DAK was built to surpass epcot and rival magic kingdom's attendance...it's a massive development with a water park and 5 large hotels just into itself...

It hasn't...a lot of it is theme, but most is the belief that there still isn't enough to do.

Theming works for dusters...it doesn't translate to the mass/non-committed audience.

As much as they make the walls nice at Star Wars land...most aren't going to look for enjoyment in staring at the wall. It is what it always will be.

So they have two rides that are gonna be massively overcrowded...

A flat...and the "dogfight" rollercoaster that has always seemed like a complete no brainer would/ could have changed that. It baffles me that they can't make that kind of commitment for Star Wars...too "measured" under CMB...as always. I wish he'd pull the ripcord on his golden parachute and be done with it. Disney parks didn't become the best on earth by being "measured"...walk through epcot if you need proof.

If it is another take at storylines during the Hobbit and LotR time period, then I will be nervous.

If, however, they try some storylines during the time of the Silmarillion, that might be interesting. Christopher Tolkien tried his best to publish stories that were incomplete. So those might benefit from some creative licensing, again if done properly. The Children of Hurin, the life of Feanor or the founding of Imladris and the forging of the rings by Celebrimbor could be great...if done appropriately.

The Children of Hurin?! Please no. I don't need that sort of depression in my life.

I'd be in the camp that the Flordia Star Wars isn't big enough. I understand the land restrictions in California. Nearly being a carbon copy, seems like the easy way out. They have a lot to do in Florida to catch up with the "neglect" of the last decade or so. I do think we see another Star Wars land in Florida at one of the existing parks(not animal kingdom). I suspect you would make it an expansion of DHS. I suspect there are making a realization that they can be hitting their comfortable carrying capacity in the very near future. A 5th gate might not make sense. However, substantial growth of the parks can get them that capacity, with less effort than a 5th gate.
I think DHS has one more "land" in it. Animal Kingdom does as well. Epcot can grow more, and I think could support another "land" as a full addition. Magic kingdom, I think can expand a bit, but I don't think they'll break the formula and add another "land". Maybe add attractions outwards, but not a full land.
For me, I think Epcot needs to be the next spot to concentrate their effort on. They've started a bit. However, I think there is a lot more potential there.

Well - there's a logic to making the lands identical. The cost of engineering can often be 25% of the construction costs - by having two lands identical they can save money on the design side which allows them to spend more on the construction side.

The argument that the size of the land is a worse problem in Florida is a poor argument. DLR has a million passholders that are all going to want to get into that land all at once.

The argument that "Florida has more land" is valid, but again the engineering cost savings is huge. I am sure unlike California, there's a plan in place to allow for expansion in Florida. Any investment like this there is concern that it won't be as successful as they hope. From fans perspective Star Wars is a no-brainer, but Disney management I'm sure isn't 100% convinced it will actually result in an increase in patrons or spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter