My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

@Lesley Wake , did you find that anything had a significant flavor? I ate at the booths yesterday and it seemed like nothing had a strong enough taste to make it worth eating, but I've been taking allergy pills and wondered if my taste buds were off because of that. I don't eat much meat, so maybe it was because I was just eating meatless dishes.

I did enjoy the Yule Log, but that's mostly because it is fun looking and fun to play with. Stuff like that isn't something I normally eat. I suppose if I were to judge on taste alone, I wouldn't recommend it. I do recommend it for people who want to look at something fun, though.
I think the short ribs, salmon and pear tart had strong flavors. Those have definitely been my favorite and I will probably get again!

For Yule Log, it is definitely pretty with lots of decoration. And actually is a decent size for the price. I think the apricot compote definitely helped with a stronger flavor, but the cake alone wasn’t very intense.

Festival of Holidays - Food pics and reviews - 2nd round!

I visited some more of the booths at Festival of Holidays today and here are some more reviews:

Blissfully Braised
Braised Pork Belly Adobo with Garlic Fried Rice – $7.50
View attachment 283773
I didn’t hate this. The pork that wasn’t fatty was good; I don’t think I tasted the vinegar that a PP mentioned. The rice was very good!

Braised Lamb Cheeks with Mediterranean Cauliflower – $7.75

View attachment 283772
I’m going to refrain from reviewing this, because I don’t quite know why I ordered it! I think I didn’t realize it was Indian until I got it, and I don’t like Indian food! So I only had a few bites and I wouldn’t know whether it was good or not! :confused3

So far:
Will definitely repeat: Short Rib (Joy to the Sauce)

Probably repeat: Salmon (Joy to the Sauce), Pear tart (Chips, Dips & Spreads), Apple Lemonade (Joy to the Sauce), Mac and Cheese (Duets), Pineapple Punch (Grandma’s)

One and done: Warm Chocolate Float (Duets), Brisket (Grandma’s), Adobe Pork Belly (Braised)

Bad, bad, bad: Cookie Butter Cheesecake Tart (Duets)

Reserving judgment: Lamb Cheeks (Braised)

Last night I tried the Lamb Cheeks and also the mac n cheese from holiday duets. I love Indian food and I loved the lamb! It was absolutely delicious! I have theee tabs left from my passport and I will definitely get this again the next time I go.

I thought the mac n cheese was great too. It had a subtle sweet/smokey flavor that was really good and the corn bread crumbles were crunchy, adding good texture and more sweetness. I wasn't expecting much out of this but I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Festival of Holidays-Round 4

Festive Holiday Extras
Sherbet Holiday Punch – $5.00
NraKLjY.jpg

Meh. This was literally 2 scoops of rainbow sherbet and a can of sprite poured overtop. Not bad, but not memorable.

Winter Sliderland

Roasted Turkey Slider with Cranberry Sauce – $7.50
5Hrjlsu.jpg

I loved this! (though you can see I got it minus cranberry sauce). It really tasted like my mom's Turkey Noodle Soup in sandwich form (the photo doesn't show the carrot/celery stuffing layer under the turkey, though I'm not sure if it can be considered as stuffing, as it was very moist). And there was a lot of turkey and gravy! I will absolutely be getting again!

Holiday Ham Slider with Pineapple Relish – $7.50

wNRN91A.jpg

Another very good sandwich with a lot of meat. I was worried the ham would be very dry, but it was nicely juicy! I wouldn't be opposed to getting again, but would prefer the turkey option. One thing-make sure to get fork/knife, as there was so much ham I couldn't eat it all in sandwich form. My fork fell on the ground, so I went caveman style with my fingers...

A Twist on Tradition
Pumpkin-spiced Float Cocktail with Cream Liqueur, Vanilla Ice Cream and Pumpkin Seed Brittle – $13.00
rhgMQJC.jpg

Another that I wasn't a big fan of. Maybe if you were more of a fan of cream liqueur it would be better?

So far (some changes based on repeat visits):
Will definitely repeat: Short Rib (Joy to the Sauce), Salmon (Joy to the Sauce), Pear tart (Chips, Dips & Spreads), Turkey Slider (Sliderland)

Not opposed to a repeat if time/stomach allows: Apple Lemonade (Joy to the Sauce), Mac and Cheese (Duets), Pineapple Punch (Grandma’s), Ham Slider (Sliderland)

One and done: Warm Chocolate Float (Duets), Brisket (Grandma’s), Adobe Pork Belly (Braised), Cheesy Potatoes (Extras), Pineapple Kesari (Extras), Yule Log (Twist), Pumpkin Spice Cocktail (Twist), Sherbet Punch (Extras)

Bad, bad, bad: Cookie Butter Cheesecake Tart (Duets)

Reserving judgment: Lamb Cheeks (Braised)

Other Holiday foods

-rather than put this with my Festival of Holidays reviews, I thought these would be best as a separate post.

Gingerbread Funnel Cake Fries (Award Weiners, Hollywood Land)
TTh3hZ3.jpg

I was soo looking forward to these based on the glowing reviews on DFB and they were such a disappointment! The "fries" were so tough and had no real flavor. The only gingerbread was that dusting of crumbs on top. The sauce and whipped cream were fine, but basic. It was a very large portion, and can easily be shared between 2-3 adults, if you really feel like it. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding
(Pacific Wharf Cafe)
9BRV9wK.jpg

This was fine, but not amazing. I don't know if I really could taste the pumpkin spice. I ended up snacking on it while watching The Sound and Mariachi Divas in Pacific Wharf, though only ended up eating 1/2, so it's also a shareable size. Also a warning-there are raisins inside, which aren't on the sign.

Thanksgiving Dinner at Blue Bayou
Main: Roasted Turkey Breast, Pineapple-Glazed Ham, Andouille Sausage Stuffing, and Green Bean Casserole served with Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Gravy
Dessert: Sorcerer Mickey (milk chocolate pound cake with milk chocolate mousse and bananas foster sauce with chocolate glaze), and Pumpkin Creme Brulee (served with fresh berries and spiced madeleine cookie)
zpqIBuu.jpg
Ao7dY2q.jpg

I know this is only offered on Thanksgiving, but I would totally get it any day of the year! It was soooo good! The turkey was so juicy and tender, and very thick slices; probably the best turkey I've had (though I didn't tell my mom that). Ham was also very good. Stuffing was yummy, which is saying a lot as I normally don't a) like stuffing and b) like andouille sausage! Mashed potatoes were basic, but very good. Green beans were a bit too underdone for my liking, but I'm weird and like mine super soft, so they were probably cooked properly; though not eating them just saved more room for other amazingness! My mom ate both hers and my cranberry sauce and probably would have liked the container if we weren't in public!

For dessert, the waiter let me get 2 instead of a starter. Sorcerer Mickey was very good, as always (though they ran out of the white chocolate mickey hats); my family thought the pound cake should have been thicker though. Pumpkin creme brulee was also very good and nice and smooth!

Other Holiday foods

-rather than put this with my Festival of Holidays reviews, I thought these would be best as a separate post.

Gingerbread Funnel Cake Fries (Award Weiners, Hollywood Land)
TTh3hZ3.jpg

I was soo looking forward to these based on the glowing reviews on DFB and they were such a disappointment! The "fries" were so tough and had no real flavor. The only gingerbread was that dusting of crumbs on top. The sauce and whipped cream were fine, but basic. It was a very large portion, and can easily be shared between 2-3 adults, if you really feel like it. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding
(Pacific Wharf Cafe)
9BRV9wK.jpg

This was fine, but not amazing. I don't know if I really could taste the pumpkin spice. I ended up snacking on it while watching The Sound and Mariachi Divas in Pacific Wharf, though only ended up eating 1/2, so it's also a shareable size. Also a warning-there are raisins inside, which aren't on the sign.

Thanksgiving Dinner at Blue Bayou
Main: Roasted Turkey Breast, Pineapple-Glazed Ham, Andouille Sausage Stuffing, and Green Bean Casserole served with Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Gravy
Dessert: Sorcerer Mickey (milk chocolate pound cake with milk chocolate mousse and bananas foster sauce with chocolate glaze), and Pumpkin Creme Brulee (served with fresh berries and spiced madeleine cookie)
zpqIBuu.jpg
Ao7dY2q.jpg

I know this is only offered on Thanksgiving, but I would totally get it any day of the year! It was soooo good! The turkey was so juicy and tender, and very thick slices; probably the best turkey I've had (though I didn't tell my mom that). Ham was also very good. Stuffing was yummy, which is saying a lot as I normally don't a) like stuffing and b) like andouille sausage! Mashed potatoes were basic, but very good. Green beans were a bit too underdone for my liking, but I'm weird and like mine super soft, so they were probably cooked properly; though not eating them just saved more room for other amazingness! My mom ate both hers and my cranberry sauce and probably would have liked the container if we weren't in public!

For dessert, the waiter let me get 2 instead of a starter. Sorcerer Mickey was very good, as always (though they ran out of the white chocolate mickey hats); my family thought the pound cake should have been thicker though. Pumpkin creme brulee was also very good and nice and smooth!
Thank you for all the fun reviews especially of the festival of holiday foods- love love love reading them and seeing the great photos!

Figment’s Holiday Celebration (December 2017)
Figment and his family went to Disneyland to celebrate the Holidays. The parks and resorts were fully decorated with all of their holiday finery. It was unseasonable warm during the trip, but that meant it was better weather for ice cream and all of the other cold treats being offered! Overall, the crowds were much lower than expected. The holidays are a great time to visit Disneyland!

Festival of Holidays
Returning for a second year was the Festival of Holidays. It still like a minature F&W Festival in DCA, with several booths featureing a variety of sweet and savory items. Figment sampled serveral different items. There was a pretty good mixture of items; some were yummy, some needed work. The prices seemed a bit lower this year (compared to last year), but were still on the pricey side. The AP Sip-and-Savor pass really helped out!
DSC_0005_zpsy50bi5ht.jpg

DSC_0829_zpsbzqpg4gg.jpg

DSC_0825_zpsugwyyo0c.jpg

Chips, Breads & Holiday Spreads
DSC_0815_zps8qlvw5yn.jpg

DSC_0816_zpslxybfnsr.jpg

Cranberry Pear Tart with Rosemary-Infused Cream ($4.50) - This tart was pretty sweet and was slightly grainy. Couldn't really tell there was rosemary in the cream. Repeat: No
DSC_0433_zpsvklcjcjw.jpg

White Chocolate-Dipped Lingonberry Speculoos Cookie ($3.75) - The cookie was surpisingly spiced (like a strongly flavored gingerbread, but with different spices). The white chocolate added a nice touch of sweetness. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0452_zpsiylegmri.jpg

Making Spirits Bright
DSC_0812_zpsr50a6ahn.jpg

DSC_0813_zpsqmyotlxs.jpg

Mimosa Flight: White Cranberry, Pear, Blood Orange ($16.00) - Figment likes mimosas so he decided to give this flight a try. There were three different types of mimosas. The White Cranberry flight was the least successful; it didn't really have much of a cranberry taste. The blood orange mimosa had a nice citrus note, but could have used a little more blood orange juice. The pear mimosa was the best! It was very sweet, but he could really taste the pear. Repeat: No (flight), Yes (individual pear mimosa)
DSC_0435_zps0uu9k5o5.jpg

Joy to the Sauce
DSC_0808_zpsjbj4qh7k.jpg

DSC_0809_zpsmlepuhgv.jpg

Seared Salmon Filet with Lemon Caper Sauce ($7.50) - Figment rally liked this salmon dish. The outside of salmon itself was slightly too salty, but it was grilled nicely and had good flavor. The potatoes were salty on the outside, but it went well with the creamy insides. Repeat: Yes
DSC_0384_zps8qwjk2pc.jpg

DSC_0389_zpstdlyjgxm.jpg

Beef Short Rib with Smashed Potatoes & Gravy, Topped with Cranberry Sauce ($7.75) - The meat was very tender (fork-tender) and had very good flavor. It was slightly salty, but the saltiness was cut by the smashed potatoes. The cranberry sauce didn't really add much to the flavor (hard to tell it was there). Repeat: Yes
DSC_0390_zpsaickh9ss.jpg

DSC_0392_zpsoumuqm7h.jpg

Spicy Celebrations
DSC_0788_zpsfkd1stjt.jpg

DSC_0790_zpsgsj2i5z1.jpg

Nashville Hot Fried Turkey with Dill Pickles ($7.00) - This reminded Figment a lot of hot wings, except it was a deep fried piece of turkey. It had good flavor, but quite a bite (noticable right away). The dill pickles added a nice contrast to the turkey. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0377_zpsphazae7u.jpg

DSC_0378_zpswnpxlego.jpg

Beef Corn Tamale a la Plancha with Spicy Rojo Sauce[/IMG] ($7.25) - This was one of those things where the spiciness came afterwards! The tamale had good flavor, but the heat hit afterwards. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0379_zpswcchdrwx.jpg

DSC_0383_zpssse4znyj.jpg

Brews & Bites
DSC_0780_zpstml749sq.jpg

DSC_0783_zpseo7bm0nl.jpg

Warm Bavarian Pretzel with Whole-Grained Dijon Mustard ($5.00) - It was a pretty typical soft pretzel. It was good, but nothing special (Figment would rather have had a Mickey pretzel - it's at least cute!). Repeat: Probably Not
DSC_0432_zpswv3jbwbl.jpg

(Sorry about the sideways photos...Photobucket and I are not on the same page...I'll have to try to re-load those photos and see if I can fix the orientation.)

Last edited:
Figment’s Holiday Celebration (December 2017), Continued

Holiday Duets
DSC_0772_zpsofxbwyv4.jpg

DSC_0776_zpspmn83f8n.jpg

Macaroni & Cheese with Cornbread Crumbles ($7.75) - This was a very cheesy mac 'n cheese. It almost tasted like pure cream with overcooked (mushy) pasta. Repeat: No
DSC_0429_zpsijymugrg.jpg

Warm Polenta with Chilled Crab Salad ($7.50) - This was an interesting dish. The polenta was pretty standard, but the chilled crab salad was surprisingly spicy. It needed the polenta to cut the heat. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0430_zpsi18ci0fx.jpg

Holiday Mickey & Minnie Cookies ($7.00) - Pretty standard cookies; cute to look at. Repeat: Probably Not (mostly due to the cost)
DSC_0442_zpsk5ehzr9b.jpg

DSC_0443_zps8q6vygab.jpg

Classic Crocks & Casseroles
This booth encompassed the highs and lows of the festival. It had one of the best items (Pot de Creme) and one of the worse (green bean casserole).
DSC_0765_zpso1rqbreh.jpg

DSC_0768_zpsjqwl1zmg.jpg

Chana Masala with Grilled Garlic Naan ($6.50) - This was kind of like a finely chopped vegetable soup (like gazpacho), but with a lot less flavor. The naan was good, but there was almost no garlic flavor. Repeat: No
DSC_0424_zpso2ttjnwx.jpg

Green Bean & Mushroom Casserole with Crispy Onions ($5.75) - Figment was kind of expecting something like the traditional green bean casserole, but this was basically steamed whole green beans with some white gravy on top. Repeat: No
DSC_0426_zpsuojn6yqc.jpg

Milk Chocolate-Candy Cane Pot de Creme ($4.25) - The creme had a mild chocolate flavor, with no peppermint flavor. All of the pepermint flavor came from the candy cane crumbles on top. This was one of Figment's favorite items at the festival. Repeat: Yes

Blissfully Braised
DSC_0759_zpselh0rbty.jpg

DSC_0762_zps2jgx44ll.jpg

DSC_0419_zpsjffp7qyp.jpg

Braised Pork Belly Adobo with Garlic Fried Rice ($7.50) - Very tender beef with a slightly vinegar flavor. Figment really liked this dish (he likes Adobo in general). Repeat: Yes
DSC_0420_zpsci8sbutm.jpg

Braised Lamb Cheeks with Mediterranean Cauliflower ($7.75) - Figment had high hopes for this dish, but it was disappointing. There wasn't a lot of flavor and the lamb was very fatty (more fat than meat). Repeat: No
DSC_0421_zpsbyukgumz.jpg

A Twist on Tradition
DSC_0752_zpsl4r1rtts.jpg

DSC_0754_zpsiczbidwe.jpg

DSC_0415_zpsfr9kooep.jpg

Reuben Potato Smash with Russian Dressing & Rye Toast Crumble ($6.75) - This was a repeat from last year's festival and Figment still likes it. It was slightly salty (in a good way), with a nice crunch from the pastrami bits. Repeat: Yes
DSC_0417_zpsfro1rzhm.jpg

Butternut Squash & Almond Pakora Fritters ($6.00) - Theses were kind of bland and mushy. Repeat: No
DSC_0416_zps9tvfau9g.jpg

Chocolate Yule Log with Candied Chestnuts & Clementine Compote ($5.00) - Very rich, slightly coffee flavor. This Yule Log reminded Figment of the one from the Plaza Inn, just smaller. The clementine compote was good, but did not go well with the Yule Log flavors. Repeat: Yes (but maybe just go with the Plaza Inn version because it's bigger)
DSC_0629_zpsu1xoqkhh.jpg

DSC_0631_zpsafxfezay.jpg

Winter Sliderland
DSC_0748_zpshvsimvek.jpg

DSC_0749_zpsjsdaldfz.jpg

Holiday Ham Slider with Pineapple Relish ($7.50) - The slider had to much bread, but the ham itself had a good, but slightly sweet, flavor. Repeat: Probably
DSC_0150_zpstldwaicg.jpg

DSC_0152_zpscby4lkqa.jpg

Roasted Turkey Slider with Cranberry Sauce ($7.50) - This reminded Figment of the Earl of Sandwich's holiday sandwich. It also had stuffing and gravy inside. Messy to eat, but good tasting! Repeat: Yes (or maybe just go to the Earl of Sandwich and get a bigger one)
DSC_0146_zps4o6msccf.jpg

DSC_0148_zpswo2mf4j5.jpg

Eggnog Macaron ($5.00) - It didn't have a very strong eggnog flavor. Repeat: Probably Not
DSC_0143_zpsthi1msnp.jpg

DSC_0144_zpsrwdpfa7z.jpg

Grandma's Recipes
DSC_0741_zpssoow8x5n.jpg

DSC_0744_zpshgvoj2mt.jpg

Beef Brisket with Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots ($7.25) - The meat was very tender, but slightly sweet, The carrots were barely cooked, so they were still slightly crunchy, but had suprisingly little carrot flavor. Repeat: Probably
DSC_0130_zpsytg41xla.jpg

DSC_0131_zpswrhqh32y.jpg

Merry Cherry Pineapple Punch with Assorted Jellies ($5.00) - This drink was way to sweet for even Figment! The Jellies were like the ones you get a boba tea place. The drink was much better when Figment diluted it with about an equal amount of Sprite. Repeat: No
DSC_0136_zpstbqt2p60.jpg

Festive Holiday Extras
DSC_0737_zpsplbfglaq.jpg

DSC_0738_zps1gzf9oyo.jpg

Brussel Sprouts with Goat Cheese, Cranberries & Bacon ($6.75) - The brussel sprouts were nicely grilled (not mushy) and the bacon added a nice saltiness. Yum! Repeat: Yes
DSC_0123_zpsx0cx1gti.jpg

DSC_0124_zpsdwuzgezr.jpg

Pineapple Kesari with Golden Raisins ($4.25) - The CMs had a really hard describing this dish...one said they were told it was jell-o (it's not), then after tasting it, they said it was more like creme brulee, but grainy. Figment thought it reminded him of very finely ground polenta, but agreed that it was grainy. It was chilled and slightly sweet. There were bits of pineapple inside, but no raisins. Figment liked it, but had a had time describing it. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0126_zpsjqisztlb.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsffqfyu99.jpg

Sherbet Holiday Punch ($5.00) - This was basically rainbow sherbert in Sprite. It was sweet, but pretty good. Repeat: Maybe
DSC_0140_zpsnbqkrfsn.jpg

Overall Figment enjoyed this year's Festival of the Holidays. There were 8 dishes he'd happily have again, four that he'd be willing to eat again, five that were maybes, three probably nots, and seven that he would not want. So it was pretty evenly split between likes and dis-likes.

Thank you Figment! This gives me a really good idea of what to get and what to avoid!
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the Festival! :goodvibes

Cove Bar, Dinner
Figment opted to have his first meal of the trip at the Cove Bar. The line wasn't too bad (about 25 minutes).
DSC_0036_zpshi2u2mio.jpg

DSC_0014_zps8xu6c77g.jpg

Fajita Quesadilla Rolls - Grilled Flour Tortilla rolled with Chicken, Onions, Peppers, and Jack and Cheddar Cheese with Guajillo Sauce, Chipotle Crema, and Avocado Relish. These were pretty mild, but had good flavor.
DSC_0020_zpsxhhqptco.jpg

Trio of Tri-Tip Sliders - Mojo Criollo with crispy Onions, Barbecue with Tangy Slaw, and Bacon with Arugula and Blue Cheese served on Toasted Brioche. Each slider has a different topping, but the meat itself is very tender. Figment likes the Mojo Criollo and Barbecue ones the best.
DSC_0031_zpsp1hfnmmi.jpg

CB Lobster Nachos - Tender Lobster Pieces atop fresh House-made Tortilla Chips with Black Beans, Pico de Gallo, Chipotle Crema, and our Signature Aged Cheddar and Oaxaca Cheese Sauce. This is Figment's favorite item at the Cove Bar! It has lots of yummy lobster and a nice mixture of other items. So good!
DSC_0027_zps6gkndcxo.jpg

Cafe Orleans, Lunch
Cafe Orleans is one of Figment's favorite places to have lunch (dinner is nice, but most of the seating is outdoors, so Figment figured lunch might be slightly warmer). It's a great place to people watch (especially if you get a rail-side table). While he was having lunch, Figment watched the PotC line get longer and longer!

Mint Julep - Figment is slowly getting used to the "new" Mint Julep recipe. It still has a stronger lemon-lime flavor than the original and he misses the green color. Still, it's a nice and refreshing drink!
DSC_0526_zpsnr3txxoj.jpg

Cafe Mocha - A first! The mocha was very strong, but good.
DSC_0521_zpsitdxwrvy.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French-fried potatoes tossed with Parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley, served with a Cajun spice remoulade. This is still Figment's favorite appetizer at Cafe Orleans. Lots of garlic and Parmesan cheese and the remoulade is really tasty.
DSC_0520_zpssdrriatf.jpg

Seafood Gratin - Creamy blend of Lump Crab, Shrimp, Spinach, and creamy Tarragon Dressing served with Seasoned Croutons. Figment had this for the first time as part of the F! Dining Package on his last trip and he really liked it. There is lots of crab lumps and shrimp and the "seasoned croutons" (aka toast points) were great for soaking up the yummy sauce.
DSC_0530_zpsq5vsvvb2.jpg

New Orleans Gumbo - A rich, flavorful stew with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham, served with white rice. Another really good gumbo. This one is pretty mild, but still a good deep flavor. (The gumbo is no longer on the menu, but it was still being offered as the Seasonal Soup. We asked the server about it and he said that the chef was hoping to rotate the soup periodically, but he (the CM) was not looking forward to the day when the gumbo was taken off the menu. He said it's very popular and they'll (i.e., the front line CMs at the restaurant) be getting a lot of complaints if/when the gumbo is replaced. He recommended writing to Guest Services to encourage them to keep the gumbo on the menu.)
DSC_0534_zpsxhynpolk.jpg

Lobster Cobb Salad - Mixed Greens, Roasted Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bacon, and Lobster with an Avocado Vinaigrette. Figment likes this salad; it's light and the lobster is very yummy!
76c68f9a-c167-4623-8e21-45adea53691e_zpsfy7wg9v1.jpg

Mint Julep Bar, Snack
Figment was surprised, but Cafe Orleans wasn't offering the seasonal beignets this year. So he headed over to the Mint Julep Bar to try out the Candy Cane Beignets.

Candy Cane Beignets - This year's Holiday seasonal beignets were dusted in crushed candy canes. The candy canes weren't completely pulverized, so you can still see distinct bits and it gave the beignet a slight crunch occasionally. These are still Figment's favorite beignets (although the blackberry ones from the summer are a close second!).
20171201_104253_zps7orsvi7w.jpg

Last edited:

Carnation Cafe, Dinner
Carnation Cafe is one of Figment's family's favorite places to have a sit down meal in the park. The food is good and relatively laid back atmosphere is a welcome break from the hustle and bustle in the parks. It was winter and on the colder-side outside, so we opted to sit indoors.

Walt's Chili - Hearty Chili topped with Cheese, Sour Cream, and Fresh Tomatoes. The chili has a good flavor and is very mild. There is a nice amount of meat and beans in the chili.
DSC_0870_zpsqltzqwil.jpg

DSC_0874_zpsoz2sbmuu.jpg

Baked Potato Soup - with Bacon, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Sour Cream, and Chives. This is a very rich soup, with lot of potato chunks and bacon! So good (but soooo rich!)
DSC_0881_zps4aoelkb0.jpg

Fried Pickles with Dipping Sauce - Dill Pickle Spears dipped in Parmesan and Panko, Fried Golden Brown and served with a House Sauce. This is still Figment's favorite item at Carnation Cafe. It's perfect for a cold day!
DSC_0865_zpsfcadt4xf.jpg

Homemade Meatloaf - Our special blend of Beef and Pork served with Ketchup Glaze, Mashed Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, and Seasonal Vegetables (brocoli and cauliflower). This is still one of the only meatloafs that Figment likes. It tastes especially good with extra gravy!
DSC_0879_zps3dsya5wc.jpg

River Belle Terrace, Lunch
This has become Figment's favorite place to have his farewell day lunch. The portions are prety generous, so there is always leftovers that he can take home with him (to have a few more "Disney" meals back home). The resturant recently re-opened with a new (larger) indoor seating area and a "better" defined outdoor seating area.

Pork Spareribs - Spice-rubbed and Slow-cooked served with Cole Slaw and Potato Salad.
DSC_0650_zpsjuda7bhc.jpg

Pork Spareribs - Spice-rubbed and Slow-cooked served with Cole Slaw and Tater Tots.
DSC_0654_zpsbxbrurcg.jpg

Award Wieners, Lunch/Dinner/Snack
This is one of those places in DCA where they seem to like to offer a lot of tie-in menu items (currently, tied in with Thor).

Uptown Chili Dog - All-Beef Hot Dog topped with Home-style Chili, Pepper Jack Cheese and Corn Chips served on a toasted Potato Bun with Filmstrip Fries. Figment wanted to try this hot dog and compare it with the chili dog over at Coke Corner. This one had a better hot dog, but Coke Corner's had more chili.
DSC_0402_zpsqyzqynmp.jpg

Gingerbread Funnel Cake Fries - This was one of the best holiday items that Figment tried! It tasted like gingerbread, but with whipped cream and a fluffier texture. So good!
DSC_0403_zps45legn3g.jpg

DSC_0406_zpsu2alpeng.jpg

Lightning Pop - Barq's Red Cream Soda Slush with a Thor's hammer glow cube. This is probably the worst tasting thing Figment has had in any of the Disney Parks. It was awful. The Thor's Hammer Glow Cube was pretty cool (although it only comes in one color - white - not rainbow or changing colors feature).
DSC_0399_zpsjfzfsuk9.jpg

Red Rose Taverne, Dinner
The craze over the light-up rose tumblers has calmed down, so it's much easier to get into the Red Rose Taverne now. Figment still likes the Beauty & the Beast side better than the Gaston side, but the food tastes good regardless of where you're sitting. :)

Beast's Burger - 1/3 lb Angus Beef Patty, Slow-cooked Beef, Gruyère Cheese, Caramelized Onions, Lettuce, Tomato, and Horseradish Aïoli on a Toasted Roll, served with Pommes Frites. Figment liked this fairly substantial burger. Lots of flavor and the fries are pretty good (this batch didn't have much garlic).
DSC_0637_zpsxwctstuk.jpg

Slow-cooked Beef Poutine - Slow-cooked Beef and Gravy over Seasoned Waffle-cut Fries, Pickled Onion and Cheese Curds. This is still Figment's favorite item at the Red Rose Tavern. The slow-cooked beef was very good and it was even better when drapped over a waffle-cut fry with gravy...yum!
DSC_0642_zpsfrbniazb.jpg

Grey Stuff Gâteau - White Chocolate Mousse and Red Velvet Cake with a Raspberry Center. Figment still likes this version of the Grey Stuff the best. The mousse is light and fluffy, but the raspberry center adds a nice amount of tartness.
DSC_0643_zpspatsvoep.jpg

Highlights and a picture from recent trip (Dec. 4-11)

River Belle Terrace - secret menu item Loaded Tater Tots

2evw1fn.jpg

Tried the secret menu tater tots dish at River Belle Terrace this trip. It's been changed from the prior version, which was Loaded BBQ Tots. Now instead of brisket you choose from pork belly or tofu. I chose pork belly. Toppings are: BBQ sauce, pimento cheese dip, and the same corn relish they serve the Grilled and Chilled Shrimp on (corn, red peppers, and onions).

The tots were tasty, but the pork belly was a minor player as far as taste. Although I never had it, I'm pretty sure I would have liked the brisket version better.

Red Rose Taverne - Slow-cooked Beef Poutine

I loved this dish! Slow-cooked Beef and Gravy over Seasoned Waffle-cut Fries, Pickled Onion and Cheese Curds (I subbed carmelized onions instead of pickled). Delicious and a lot of food, I felt stuffed after having this for lunch.

Peppermint Hot Chocolate Churro - Churro stand on Main Street near Sleeping Beauty's Castle (on the right as you face the castle). In all the times I've been to Disneyland I've never had a churro, but this one tempted me. Wonderful peppermint taste combined with the warm churro, Mmmm. Not much chocolate flavor, but I'd definitely have this one again.

DCA Festival of Holidays

My favorite was the Lamb Cheeks, which was just a maybe before I tasted it, based on other reviews. The curry preparation made it my hands-down favorite of all the festival booths. The only dish I had twice, yummy flavor and even the smell of the curry made my mouth water.

The only dish I didn't like was the Reuben potato smash. Very little corned beef flavor. The crispy bits (rye toast crumble) were overdone and there was some inedible grit that I couldn't eat. It didn't taste burnt, it actually tasted like hard grit.

Other festival dishes I would have again:
Eggnog macaron (this had a hidden caramel layer inside, a pleasant surprise)
Sweet potato pie
Macaroni and cheese
Chocolate candy cane pot de creme
Iced green mint tea

Sonoma Terrace - Cheddar Sourdough pull-apart bread

Found this by accident and loved it. Warm sourdough bread with a nice cheese flavor. Good snacking on the go.

Last edited:
Figment’s Holiday Celebration (December 2017), Continued...

Schmoozies
Schmoozies is a place that Figment "recently" discovered; he always thought it only had smoothies, but then he found it it had blended coffee beverages, filled crossiant donuts, and other seasonal yummies.

Peppermint Malibu Mocha - Think like a peppermint dark mocha Frappacino...Figment really liked this drink!
DSC_0727_zpsm9fijf6a.jpg

Santa's Mittens Macaron - with Mint Chip Ice Cream. This was one of the cutest Holiday offerings (and it tasted good too). It was a little messy to eat, but worth it.
DSC_0728_zpsbm4ltggk.jpg

Jolly Holiday, Snacks
Jolly Holiday is still Figment's favorite place to have a snack and do some people watching.

Tiramisu - It was okay, but not one Figment's favorite items. It had a lot of mascarpone cream, but needed more of the cake part.
DSC_0445_zpsfvivi6yi.jpg

Cupcake - This is one of Jolly Holiday's more standard items (i.e., available almost year around). It's very dense and very rich.
DSC_0446_zpsej45hpak.jpg

Seasonal Eclair - The Holiday Spice eclair...it was kind of like a gingerbread flavoring, but not quite. It was interesting, but Figment liked the chocolate eclair better.
DSC_0449_zpspbwk1wmy.jpg

Chocolate Eclair and Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pie - The chocolate eclair remains Figment's favorite eclair at Jolly Holiday. The Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pie is good.
DSC_0603_zps8c5anpkq.jpg

Mickey Raspberry Macaron and Santa Hat Peppermint Chocolate Macaron - Two of Figment's favorite treats...the raspberry macaron is available all year and is very yummy. The seasonal macaron was shaped liked Santa's hat and filled with a chocolate peppermint cream. So rich, but soooo good!
DSC_0605_zpsyduwydkc.jpg

Santa Hat Peppermint Chocolate Macaron
DSC_0608_zps8y5gmfmc.jpg

Gingerbread Cookie - This gingerbread cookie is very moist, slightly chewy and very yummy.
DSC_0900_zpsu7j4brfi.jpg

Candy Palace, Trolly Treats, and Other Candy Shops
The Candy shops in DLR always have a wide assortment of very yummy looking items. These were mostly things that Figment saw, but didn't try...

Gourmet Apple - The December gourmet apple features caramel, covered in peppermint infused dark chocolate, covered with red and green M&Ms and a white chocolate drizzle. This Figment did try...it was very messy to eat, but good. It had a pretty strong peppermint flavor in the chocolate.
20171201_143917_zps7ohtp71x.jpg

Cake Pops - Blue Snowflakes, Coco, and Snowman cake pops.
DSC_0006_zps49kasyec.jpg

DSC_0614_zpsdybpmxar.jpg

DSC_0616_zpstdghwcr1.jpg

Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apples - Santa Mickeya, Santa Minnie, Gingerbread Mickey, Gingerbread Minnie, Santa Jack Skellington, and November Gourmet (S'Mores).
DSC_0007_zpsfhvfoenc.jpg

DSC_0008_zpseeq9zw8a.jpg

DSC_0009_zps2farx7tm.jpg

DSC_0010_zpszd7v3a5j.jpg

DSC_0612_zpszwrwccoj.jpg

Rice Cripsie Treats - Gingerbread Mickey, Gingerbread Minnie, and Santa Mickey
DSC_0011_zpshfgcqc8v.jpg

DSC_0012_zps5ezizmbe.jpg

DSC_0013_zps2ie0f6we.jpg

English Toffee - A mountain of English Toffee waiting to be packaged up!
20171201_185041_zpsvhmkds01.jpg

Man, Figment! Where do you put it all? You must have a hollow tail.
Yup! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Schmoozies
Schmoozies is a place that Figment "recently" discovered; he always thought it only had smoothies, but then he found it it had blended coffee beverages, filled crossiant donuts, and other seasonal yummies.

Peppermint Malibu Mocha - Think like a peppermint dark mocha Frappacino...Figment really liked this drink!
DSC_0727_zpsm9fijf6a.jpg

Santa's Mittens Macaron - with Mint Chip Ice Cream. This was one of the cutest Holiday offerings (and it tasted good too). It was a little messy to eat, but worth it.
DSC_0728_zpsbm4ltggk.jpg

Jolly Holiday, Snacks
Jolly Holiday is still Figment's favorite place to have a snack and do some people watching.

Tiramisu - It was okay, but not one Figment's favorite items. It had a lot of mascarpone cream, but needed more of the cake part.
DSC_0445_zpsfvivi6yi.jpg

Cupcake - This is one of Jolly Holiday's more standard items (i.e., available almost year around). It's very dense and very rich.
DSC_0446_zpsej45hpak.jpg

Seasonal Eclair - The Holiday Spice eclair...it was kind of like a gingerbread flavoring, but not quite. It was interesting, but Figment liked the chocolate eclair better.
DSC_0449_zpspbwk1wmy.jpg

Chocolate Eclair and Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pie - The chocolate eclair remains Figment's favorite eclair at Jolly Holiday. The Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pie is good.
DSC_0603_zps8c5anpkq.jpg

Mickey Raspberry Macaron and Santa Hat Peppermint Chocolate Macaron - Two of Figment's favorite treats...the raspberry macaron is available all year and is very yummy. The seasonal macaron was shaped liked Santa's hat and filled with a chocolate peppermint cream. So rich, but soooo good!
DSC_0605_zpsyduwydkc.jpg

Santa Hat Peppermint Chocolate Macaron
DSC_0608_zps8y5gmfmc.jpg

Gingerbread Cookie - This gingerbread cookie is very moist, slightly chewy and very yummy.
DSC_0900_zpsu7j4brfi.jpg

Candy Palace, Trolly Treats, and Other Candy Shops
The Candy shops in DLR always have a wide assortment of very yummy looking items. These were mostly things that Figment saw, but didn't try...

Gourmet Apple - The December gourmet apple features caramel, covered in peppermint infused dark chocolate, covered with red and green M&Ms and a white chocolate drizzle. This Figment did try...it was very messy to eat, but good. It had a pretty strong peppermint flavor in the chocolate.
20171201_143917_zps7ohtp71x.jpg

Cake Pops - Blue Snowflakes, Coco, and Snowman cake pops.
DSC_0006_zps49kasyec.jpg

DSC_0614_zpsdybpmxar.jpg

DSC_0616_zpstdghwcr1.jpg

Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apples - Santa Mickeya, Santa Minnie, Gingerbread Mickey, Gingerbread Minnie, Santa Jack Skellington, and November Gourmet (S'Mores).
DSC_0007_zpsfhvfoenc.jpg

DSC_0008_zpseeq9zw8a.jpg

DSC_0009_zps2farx7tm.jpg

DSC_0010_zpszd7v3a5j.jpg

DSC_0612_zpszwrwccoj.jpg

Rice Cripsie Treats - Gingerbread Mickey, Gingerbread Minnie, and Santa Mickey
DSC_0011_zpshfgcqc8v.jpg

DSC_0012_zps5ezizmbe.jpg

DSC_0013_zps2ie0f6we.jpg

English Toffee - A mountain of English Toffee waiting to be packaged up!
20171201_185041_zpsvhmkds01.jpg

Yup! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:
Can I just say Figment's ugly christmas sweater and hat are adorable!!!

Other Treats

Mater Bread - Available at Filmore's Taste-In (and maybe elsewhere in DCA), is a load of sourdough bread shaped like Mater!
DSC_0041_zpsytpk7dhl.jpg

Souvies
Disneyland has a lot of souvie items that come with food! Some things are available at multiple locations, while other things are only at one of two places.

Holiday Travel Mug - Available at most all of the counter service locations. Comes with a beverage at the time of purchase.
DSC_0134_zpshd38dxwu.jpg

Festival of Holiday Travel Mug - Available at a few of the FotH booths, it can be added to the non-alocholic beverage (e.g., the Merry Cherry Pineapple Punch with Assorted Jellies at Grandma's Recipes).
DSC_0136_zpstbqt2p60.jpg

Olaf Glow Clip - Comes with Hot Chocolate. The hot chocolate was nothing special, but the Olaf clip was pretty cute. It was available at one of the old Mad T Party drink stands (the one furthest to the back, near Monsters Inc). It cannot be purchased separately from the drink.
DSC_0398_zps4yuuhkqc.jpg

Pluto Popcorn Bucket - The main holiday premium bucket features Pluto in an ugly sweater. Available at popcorn stands in both DL and DCA.
IMG_20171127_230448_zpslyylmoth.jpg

Mickey Ornament Stein - This new "stein" is shaped like a Mickey ornament. The inside opening is very small (about large enough to hold the base of a regular sized soft drink beverage. It was sold with a variety of items, including fruits, drinks, ice cream sundaes, etc. The price varies depending on the location (e.g., the cost of the stein with fruit is lower than the cost of the stein with a sundae). Figment got his steins at the Plaza Inn (with a soda), so they're available at select CS locations as well as the outdoor vendors.
IMG_20171127_230431_zpsmfzyx7nx.jpg

Dinoco Cruz Ramirez Light-Up Straw Clip - Available in Carsland (Cozy Cones and Flo's). These can be purchased without a drink.
IMG_20171127_230417_zpsreg91xuq.jpg

AT-AT Popcorn Bucket - The newest Star Wars premium popcorn bucket is shaped like an AT-AT. The opening at the top is sized to hold a regular sized popcorn container. The legs and head are poseable. It's cute, but pretty clunky (it will fit in a locker if you fold up the legs).
IMG_20171129_230635_zpso364nue4.jpg

IMG_20171128_164755_zpsxubdm4fb.jpg

That concludes Figment's 2017 Holiday Celebration at Disneyland Resort! Have a great holidays everyone!

Can I just say Figment's ugly christmas sweater and hat are adorable!!!
Thanks! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter