Marathon Weekend 2025

Don't laugh, but try AARP. You can join at any age, and there are tons of really good travel discounts. I just booked a rental car for a work trip through them with Avis and saved about $250 over every other rate I could find. It routed me via their app to the Avis site, so it retained all my loyalty info and my status, so I didn't have to go to the counter.
Agree; the AARP discount through Avis is the way to go. After the first rental the AARP code is in your discount code drop-down menu on the Avis website so it is super easy.

You can sometimes save by playing with the pick-up and return times. For example, a 4 day 3 hour rental may be cheaper than a four day 4 hour rental. Prices don't change in strict 24-hour increments. Although I won't leave Disney 3 hours early to return a car to save $20, I may leave an hour early to save $80. YRMV.

Last edited:
SAFD: I have been a Brooks runner since I started running about 13 years ago and they have never let me down. I am a neutral runner and need a lot of cushion, so I've run exclusively in Glycerins for the last several years. I found the 20 GTS version to be amazing for my feet and I've had three pairs now (including for Dopey). I'm also in the "one pair of shoes for everything at a time" camp. Honestly, I find the switching around and trying to keep track of mileage too stressful, although I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad if I put in a little effort. I am finding that I'm only getting around 300 miles out of these anymore before I absolutely have to buy a new pair (which is the point I'm at now with my current pair). Does switching the shoes actually elongate their use? Like, does anyone feel/know if you get more mileage out of a pair of shoes if you run in them less frequently? I usually just run in a pair until they get worn out and buy a new one and then I use the worn out shoes as park shoes, but maybe I need to be alternating pairs.

SAFD: I always have multiple shoes in my rotation - my favourite and most versatile is the Nike Vomero - while I can use them for any run, I primarily use them for long runs / recovery runs. I have the Pegasus for shorter runs/ tempo runs. A couple of years ago I switched to VaporFlys for race day. I'm not a fast runner by any stretch of the imagination and use them more for their cushioning than to improve my pace but I have definitely felt that I recover faster from Half/ Full marathon when using those.

I also keep a pair of wet weather/ winter running shoes - currently a pair of Pegasus trail shoes.

SAFD: I have lived and died by the ASICS Novablast the last three years. Great shoe for any type of run. Then I discovered Puma's running shoe line. I picked up the Puma Deviate Nitro 2 and the Puma ForeverRun Nitro. The Forever run is a stability shoe. The Deviate Nitro 2 is neutral and has the carbon plate. I enjoy both shoes, but I have to say the Deviate Nitro 2 is butter! Love that shoe. It's not bulky, plenty of room in the toe, and love the spring in it. Decided I will wear this shoe for two of the MW weekend races (5k & half).

I also picked up a pair of Adidas Adios Pro 3. Took me a few runs to get the lacing right on these shoes. Once I did, definitely enjoyed them for long runs. I put them on the shelf for now since I am going to wear these for the marathon and 10k at MW. I will break them back out in December.

Everyone has different wants and needs from their shoes, so what are your go-to model(s)? Do you have different shoes for different types of runs? Do you rotate? Between models or within a model?
SAFD: Oy… I’m not sure anyone wants me to go on (and on… and on…) about my shoe woes lol! I’ll try to keep it brief(ish).

Goldilocks feet here. Extremely strong feet from a lifetime of ballet that need to MOVE without anything obstructing their natural movement and I have a tendency to supinate on one side - even many neutral shoes push that foot outward, creating issues all the way up to my shoulder. And I’m a natural forefoot striker. Also I can’t tolerate anything that increases pronation. All my kingdom for a shoe that just allows me to move forward with no lateral or medial bias, and that doesn’t get in the way of where I want to land!!! ONE model of Altras was perfection: the Torin 5. Until I developed a high hamstring issue: low and zero drop is off the table now. ONE model of Brooks was perfection: the Glycerin 16. ONE Newton was supreme: the Gravity II. In every case except Newton, which got to 350 miles, I wear them out fast because nobody shores up the forefoot outsole and I wear them smooth by about 200 miles (see also HOT, rough FL pavement.)

At the moment, I’m mostly using ASICS Cumulus 25 that are pretty good: not perfect, and I think I’d have problems with higher mileage, but are getting it done with long runs topping out at the half-marathon distance. I force myself to rotate with other shoes I don’t like but spent money on - Kinvara 15s that are pretty fun for very short distances, Mach 4s that make me appreciate the Cumulus, and Saucony Ride 15 that has the most amazing firm cushion but too lateral lean. Rocker soles are my nemesis, and everyone seems to be trending that way: I read that the Cumulus 26 is a rocker, so I may stock up on another 25 while I can. I also have a heel drop sweet spot of 8-10mm, which narrows the field.

SAFD: I have been a Brooks runner since I started running about 13 years ago and they have never let me down. I am a neutral runner and need a lot of cushion, so I've run exclusively in Glycerins for the last several years. I found the 20 GTS version to be amazing for my feet and I've had three pairs now (including for Dopey). I'm also in the "one pair of shoes for everything at a time" camp. Honestly, I find the switching around and trying to keep track of mileage too stressful, although I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad if I put in a little effort. I am finding that I'm only getting around 300 miles out of these anymore before I absolutely have to buy a new pair (which is the point I'm at now with my current pair). Does switching the shoes actually elongate their use? Like, does anyone feel/know if you get more mileage out of a pair of shoes if you run in them less frequently? I usually just run in a pair until they get worn out and buy a new one and then I use the worn out shoes as park shoes, but maybe I need to be alternating pairs.
I switch shoes but only because I have multiple pairs of the same model. :D

SAFD: I have lived and died by the ASICS Novablast the last three years. Great shoe for any type of run. Then I discovered Puma's running shoe line. I picked up the Puma Deviate Nitro 2 and the Puma ForeverRun Nitro. The Forever run is a stability shoe. The Deviate Nitro 2 is neutral and has the carbon plate. I enjoy both shoes, but I have to say the Deviate Nitro 2 is butter! Love that shoe. It's not bulky, plenty of room in the toe, and love the spring in it. Decided I will wear this shoe for two of the MW weekend races (5k & half).

I also picked up a pair of Adidas Adios Pro 3. Took me a few runs to get the lacing right on these shoes. Once I did, definitely enjoyed them for long runs. I put them on the shelf for now since I am going to wear these for the marathon and 10k at MW. I will break them back out in December.
I just listened to a podcast (Cautionary Tales) about Adidas vs. Puma. Maybe it’s common knowledge, but I had no idea, Adidas and Puma’s founders were brothers and were bitter rivals in the shoe industry. Their small town was even split by who they were affiliated with, because someone in each family would have worked for one of the manufacturers or the other - and they did not cross lines..
Anyways, I found it interesting that you found two new pairs of shoes from those brands. 😁

I just listened to a podcast (Cautionary Tales) about Adidas vs. Puma. Maybe it’s common knowledge, but I had no idea, Adidas and Puma’s founders were brothers and were bitter rivals in the shoe industry. Their small town was even split by who they were affiliated with, because someone in each family would have worked for one of the manufacturers or the other - and they did not cross lines..
Anyways, I found it interesting that you found two new pairs of shoes from those brands. 😁
Animosity created because their wives didn't like each other and they lived in the same house. LOL.

SAFD:

I started out in Saucony Hurricane (RIP) then switched to Saucony Tempus. Unfortunately, although I loved the feel of the shoe its frame was too rigid and it caused my peroneal tendon to flare up a bit.

Changed the shoes up on advice of my PT and after being fitted now run mainly in Brooks Glycerin GTS. Absolutely love them BUT it does cause a persistent hot spot on the side of my foot below my big toe.

Now wearing the Ghost 15 for easy treadmill runs and going to try both a half size up in the Glycerin and the non-GTS version. Only one of my feet really needs correction from pronation so I'm hoping by working on some foot exercises I can go to neutral shoes. Otherwise, I'll be forever putting moleskin on that toe

Always ASICS Gel Kayanos for me. I keep 2-3 pairs in rotation and bring 2-3 pairs with me to Disney races, so that I have a fresh pair for each race. I don’t know if it helps prolong the life of the shoe or anything, but it gives each pair plenty of time for all the sweat to dry up before I wear them again. Why, you ask? Because if I wear the same sweaty shoes every day, they start to STINK!😁

>> It used to be the Glycerin in that slot for me, but Brooks broke them with the 15s

I had a similar issue in that I loved my Glycerins, go back to get a new pair, and the new versions were different.
I've also had Waverunners, Ghosts, and other shoes with no issue. Mostly, I go to the running store and try on some pairs and get what feels best if I can't get a new a pair of what I have been wearing.

As for Morton's, I ran (no pun intended) into that this time last year and Hoka Cliftons became my go-to shoes that allowed me to run without aggravating that condition. That and a pair of On Clouds that were (still are) my walking-around shoes. The Hokas got me through the MCM in October and MW this past January, and as the neuroma subsided and became less inflamed, I was able to resume using the non-Hoka shoes I had just bought before the Morton's flared up. As a result, I have the 3 pair of regular rotation shoes, plus the 2 pair of Hokas that rolled into the rotation. I rotate between all of them and do not wear the same shoes twice in a row. For MW, I'll have a pair for each race and a pair for walking around.
As for mileage, I know I should be tracking it, but don't, so I use a pair until they seem like they are getting flat and then they get retired into the walking-around shoe category.

As for this Sunday, it was for paddling with the DW. Nothing like being on cool water on a blazing hot day. IMG_1185.jpg

I am having this problem with the ghost now! The 16 is too narrow. Had the same issue with the 14. I need to find an alternative. I tried the glycerin and launch when the 14s didn’t work and didn’t love either of them. If anyone has ghost alternatives I’d love to hear them!
I used the Ghost for a few versions until a new version didn't agree with me. I switched to Nike Zoom Vomero and have been happy for several years.

Always ASICS Gel Kayanos for me. I keep 2-3 pairs in rotation and bring 2-3 pairs with me to Disney races, so that I have a fresh pair for each race. I don’t know if it helps prolong the life of the shoe or anything, but it gives each pair plenty of time for all the sweat to dry up before I wear them again. Why, you ask? Because if I wear the same sweaty shoes every day, they start to STINK!😁
I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I have read that you shouldn't run with the same shoes on back-to-back days because the foam needs time to decompress.

https://runkeeper.com/cms/health/wh... responsible for,the foam and reduces support.

It might be silly, but I blamed my Asics Gel Kayano for my miserable marathon experience when I did Goofy in 2023. After that race, I tried out Brooks Adrenaline and finally landed on Saucony being the shoe that works best for me.

SAFD: sorry I’m late. I’m an ASICS girl. I have ran in the Nimbus since I started running. loved the nimbus lite show 24 so much, I have 4 pair of the same color. The 25s were too squishy for me. The 26 seem a little more firm. I have a novablast 3 but I hate the tongue. It migrates down under the laces and causes me too of foot pain. I only wear for speed work. I wear my nimbus for everything else. I recently got a pair of Nike invincible 3(Nike outlet, looking for alphaflys) to add to the rotation but only for short runs because They make my arch hurt from a past injury. I prefer a wide toe box but have a narrow foot so it’s hard to find a good shoe. I’ve been on the hunt for some super shoes. I want to try the ASICS metaspeed edge Paris but they’ve been hard to find. I’m prone to stress fractures so I’m hesitant to use them but would love to have for a marathon race to help me with my time goals. Would love a sub 4!

For those using novablast 4, how do they compare to the 3s?

What are thoughts on if there will be after-hours tickets during/directly after MW? I recall there being some in 2023 (I think a few in here did HS and then rolled straight into the 5k?) but with how close it was to NYE/D for 2024, there weren't any. We are planning a very park-light trip, but AH is something I could probably get DH on-board with, especially if it was on the Monday after the marathon.....

What are thoughts on if there will be after-hours tickets during/directly after MW?

I hope that there will be, but I'm not optimistic. It's funny because my best friend (my runDisney buddy, but she is not well versed in Disney planning) asked about it this year. Right now the plan is to fly in on Tuesday, 1/7 and fly home on Tuesday, 1/14 so I told her that we might get lucky.

We did a MK AH on the Monday after Princess in 2020 and it was fantastic. A perfect way to wrap up the trip! However, I think that is the last time that I have seen an AHs available the day after a race.

What are thoughts on if there will be after-hours tickets during/directly after MW? I recall there being some in 2023 (I think a few in here did HS and then rolled straight into the 5k?) but with how close it was to NYE/D for 2024, there weren't any. We are planning a very park-light trip, but AH is something I could probably get DH on-board with, especially if it was on the Monday after the marathon.....
I remember doing AH the Monday after the full in 2023. It was awesome, great way to cap off the weekend. I hope they have it again too!

I did AH at HS before the 5k, but I think that was Springtime Surprise and not MW. I could be remembering wrong too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest