Major DVC Change - Resale Market Only original 14 resort access

So this is only resale right? If I bought Riviera direct I can still use it at other resorts?
Correct. And if you buy resale of say BVC you can stay at any of the other 14 DVCs, but not Riviera, the new river country one, or any other new properties. If you buy resale of Rivera that's the only place you use your points.

Buying direct you can use points anywhere.

This will be kind of interesting to study the effects on the market. Will it make "legacy" deeds more valuable? As that perceived value start to permeate the market, how much does the end date depress that value at the same time? Will current DVC cost per point reflect any the market and will new purchases stagnate at all?

I have no idea how fast current DVC inventory is being sold (from Disney not resale). I wonder how the two new announced resorts effect that.

I personally find it tough to put down $20-30k on straight from Disney at this point in my life. I have 3 young kids, so the purchase would be perfectly timed, but I also have 3 young kids and not a spare 20-30k! I don't think I would ever finance DVC.

Do most people finance or purchase outright?

This is definitely not the thread for this. Sorry Ryan.

This will be kind of interesting to study the effects on the market. Will it make "legacy" deeds more valuable? As that perceived value start to permeate the market, how much does the end date depress that value at the same time? Will current DVC cost per point reflect any the market and will new purchases stagnate at all?

I have no idea how fast current DVC inventory is being sold (from Disney not resale). I wonder how the two new announced resorts effect that.

I personally find it tough to put down $20-30k on straight from Disney at this point in my life. I have 3 young kids, so the purchase would be perfectly timed, but I also have 3 young kids and not a spare 20-30k! I don't think I would ever finance DVC.

Do most people finance or purchase outright?

This is definitely not the thread for this. Sorry Ryan.

We were on the cusp of a few resale contracts in the past. We also have 3 young kids, and if I've learned anything as a parent, it is the need for flexibility. DVC (and all timeshares) limit your flexibility. And it seems as if they are continuing to make it worse. I understand the potential for savings (only on the resale part), but I place a premium on flexibility and that has kept us out of the game and most likely will keep us out forever.

Whoa, that quote says going forward you can only use the points at the resort you buy at and that is it - not any of the new ones. Unless I misinterpreted before I thought it was if you bought resale for, say, Riviera, you could exchange for Riviera or Reflections or any other new one built, just not the legacy ones. This reads differently than that

"In addition, any points purchased outside of Disney for any new resorts, will only be valid at that resort. The representitve that we spoke with said “starting with Riviera and every resort after that, when you buy resale points you will only be able to use the points JUST at the resort you buy and RCI nothing else.”"

See the first reports I read said something akin to this as well, but I edited the post because others suggested you'd be able to use them at all 14 legacy resorts ... if its ONLY at the resort you BOUGHT - the whole resale market is going to collapse, which means anyone holding a DVC contract (currently worth a good amount of money as an asset) will have that asset depreciated massively.

Ok - but reading the blog mickey quote - it appears that it will "starting with Riviera" and every resort after that ... meaning, it still wouldn't apply to the legacy resorts if you buy resale there, whew. I am on hold with member services right now.

See the first reports I read said something akin to this as well, but I edited the post because others suggested you'd be able to use them at all 14 legacy resorts ... if its ONLY at the resort you BOUGHT - the whole resale market is going to collapse, which means anyone holding a DVC contract (currently worth a good amount of money as an asset) will have that asset depreciated massively.

That is only at the new resorts though. Not the 14 resorts that already exist.

If you currently own a resale contract or purchase before 1/19 you can still use points at other DVC resorts. If you purchase resale after 1/19 you can use your points at the existing 14 DVC resorts but not the new resorts, Riviera and Reflections plus whichever other resorts they build in the future.

If you purchase a resale contract for Riviera or Reflection, or any other new resorts, you can only use those points at your home resort.

So yes, it will likely make the bottom drop out of the resale market but not for quite some time and that shouldn't affect resale of current resorts....may make them hold their value a bit longer.

maybe still not 100% clear, but I read it as:

- If you buy resale of a Legacy Resort, you can use it at any of the Legacy Resorts, but not any of the new ones (with the first "new" one being Riviera)
- If you buy resale at any new resort (starting with Riviera, then Reflections and any more to come) you can only use your point at the resort you bought the points from (so only Riviera, or only Reflections - no "trading" away from your "home" resort)

But the later point wasn't clear to me as in other posts I read it as you could go to other "new" resorts, just not legacy resorts, but now seems like no "trading" at all - only your "home" resort

maybe still not 100% clear, but I read it as:

- If you buy resale of a Legacy Resort, you can use it at any of the Legacy Resorts, but not any of the new ones (with the first "new" one being Riviera)
- If you buy resale at any new resort (starting with Riviera, then Reflections and any more to come) you can only use your point at the resort you bought the points from (so only Riviera, or only Reflections - no "trading" away from your "home" resort)

But the later point wasn't clear to me as in other posts I read it as you could go to other "new" resorts, just not legacy resorts, but now seems like no "trading" at all - only your "home" resort

Yea I added to my post as you were typing - not that is going to help, but I am going to seek some clarification from member services right now ... ugh, this is annoying.

well, I think very few people when they buy think about/worry about when they will sell (or at least what Disney is expecting/hoping)

Yep, but when we visited the DVC center at SSR, that was one of the first questions I asked. The answer, as I seem to recall, was not the resale market. I definitely sense it leans towards an impulse buy. I/we were investigating as an investment option for various reasons.

Ok - but reading the blog mickey quote - it appears that it will "starting with Riviera" and every resort after that ... meaning, it still wouldn't apply to the legacy resorts if you buy resale there, whew. I am on hold with member services right now.

The DVC release this morning said that "Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts" (this is referring to after Jan 19th, if I'm reading correctly). Any resales for Riviera or the Rehab facility will only be able to use their points at their home resort.
I currently have a VGF resale contract purchased in 2014. I'm assuming that if I sell it after Jan 19th, the purchaser would be able to use the points at any of the 14 "Legacy" resorts. Is that what every one else is interpreting this as?

The DVC release this morning said that "Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts" (this is referring to after Jan 19th, if I'm reading correctly). Any resales for Riviera or the Rehab facility will only be able to use their points at their home resort.
I currently have a VGF resale contract purchased in 2014. I'm assuming that if I sell it after Jan 19th, the purchaser would be able to use the points at any of the 14 "Legacy" resorts. Is that what every one else is interpreting this as?

yes - so you can use them at all resorts but if you sell your contract after Jan 19th then the new owner would be able to use all 14 legacy resorts but not the new ones

And if you buy direct Riviera and sell later. your buyers can’t use ANYWHERE except Riviera. Can’t imagine how thrilled they will (not) be.

yeah, exactly! I would be so fearful of availability particularly if it was only enough points for a studio or whatever ... really afraid I would be stuck with points I could use

yeah, exactly! I would be so fearful of availability particularly if it was only enough points for a studio or whatever ... really afraid I would be stuck with points I could use

yes, we were planning on buying direct at Riviera too. Not anymore. In addition to your fear about availability, I would be afraid of losing my shirt if I ever went to sell. No thanks, Disney. Not today.

yes, we were planning on buying direct at Riviera too. Not anymore. In addition to your fear about availability, I would be afraid of losing my shirt if I ever went to sell. No thanks, Disney. Not today.

yeah, you should be ok while you have it if you buy direct from Disney as you should be able to exchange elsewhere - but selling (and then for those that buy resale) would be the real issue

We were on the cusp of a few resale contracts in the past. We also have 3 young kids, and if I've learned anything as a parent, it is the need for flexibility. DVC (and all timeshares) limit your flexibility. And it seems as if they are continuing to make it worse. I understand the potential for savings (only on the resale part), but I place a premium on flexibility and that has kept us out of the game and most likely will keep us out forever.

I agree completely and I have the same reasoning myself. I like the idea of owning and being "part" of that whole Disney experience. My sister is a DVC member (bough almost 10 years ago from AK) and they really enjoy it. But I don't think I could justify the cost unless some windfall of cash dropped in my lap.

well, I think very few people when they buy think about/worry about when they will sell (or at least what Disney is expecting/hoping)
This is why I'm not a time share person, way too risk adverse. But seriously, who'd ever buy any other piece of real estate without ever thinking about reselling it. "Yes this house is in the best school district in the state, but if you resell it the new owners can only home school, but don't worry, you'll never need/want to sell this house!"

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on the DVC Rental market in the future. If the resale prices drop a significant amount, will people just hang on to their contracts and rent the points out every year instead of using them? Time will tell I guess.

Resale value is the only reason why I would even consider DVC. I assume that's a big reason for most people??

Yes - I can’t remember if I posted this here or another thread (they are all running together). The thing that MOST appealed to me was that DVC “retained its value” thanks to the resale market. Now, it will be just like any other timeshare.

Staying at only The Riviera may not seem like such a bad idea to some, however.

Resale value is the only reason why I would even consider DVC. I assume that's a big reason for most people??

honestly, I don't think so. I think people view it as a way to get to stay at deluxe resorts for less money than for just booking those resorts ... and maybe also then getting to buy DVC APs and stuff like that

I think most look at it as how it will benefit them and how they will use it after they buy it and not about when they don't want it anymore

(not saying all, but I think a higher number of people than you would think)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter