Major DVC Change - Resale Market Only original 14 resort access

I currently own a VGF resale and was looking to buy direct at Riviera. Now I'm wondering if that is such a good idea. I hate to buy in thinking about selling it, but I would imagine this is going to really limit my pool of purchasers if I were to ever sell my contract? What to do, what to do?? Surely Disney knows that this will potentially hurt sales of direct contracts at Riviera, right? Makes me wonder if we don't have all the info on this yet......

I currently own a VGF resale and was looking to buy direct at Riviera. Now I'm wondering if that is such a good idea. I hate to buy in thinking about selling it, but I would imagine this is going to really limit my pool of purchasers if I were to ever sell my contract? What to do, what to do?? Surely Disney knows that this will potentially hurt sales of direct contracts at Riviera, right? Makes me wonder if we don't have all the info on this yet......
That’s how other timeshares operate. They manage to get people to shell out thousands on something they eventually have to give away or literally pay someone to assume responsibility for. It’s the next step in the ole « conforming to industry standards ». I won’t ever buy another DVC contract, nor would I recommend anyone else do so.

That’s how other timeshares operate. They manage to get people to shell out thousands on something they eventually have to give away or literally pay someone to assume responsibility for. It’s the next step in the ole « conforming to industry standards ». I won’t ever buy another DVC contract, nor would I recommend anyone else do so.

I have always said that I would never consider buying in at another timeshare. DVC is the only one that has such a robust resale market, so I was willing to buy in to DVC. (Or did have a robust resale market- maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end of that?). Do you think with this move DVC will become "just another timeshare company?"

I have always said that I would never consider buying in at another timeshare. DVC is the only one that has such a robust resale market, so I was willing to buy in to DVC. (Or did have a robust resale market- maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end of that?). Do you think with this move DVC will become "just another timeshare company?"
It would seem so, given the direction (or lack there of) of new management in recent months. I’m also concerned about dues & resale value going forward. I don’t want to sell my contracts, but they’re making it difficult to want to keep them.

I think this is a BIG mistake on DVC’s part. The appeal for me to buy (resale) in the first place WAS the resale value. DH and I have been considering adding on some direct-buy points. But, after this, I doubt we will...we might pick up some more resale points at a resort we enjoy. But, yeah, I am liking DVC less and less.

I think this is a BIG mistake on DVC’s part. The appeal for me to buy (resale) in the first place WAS the resale value. DH and I have been considering adding on some direct-buy points. But, after this, I doubt we will...we might pick up some more resale points at a resort we enjoy. But, yeah, I am liking DVC less and less.
We have a contract on hold (add on buying direct with incentives ) we were already thinking we were going to cancel but now I will for sure call tomorrow and tell them this broke the camel's back along with the 2020 point chart sting.

Even though I don't plan to sell, I need to feel like there will be retained value in the event we do, if this is dvc's new direction that value wont be there.

Last edited:

We have a contract on hold (add on buying direct with incentives ) we were already thinking we were going to cancel but now I will for sure call tomorrow and tell them this broke the camel's back along with the 2020 point chart sting.

Even though I don't plan to sell, I need to feel like there will be retained value in the event we do, if this is dvc's new direction that value wont be there.

Actually, I see this as a positive for current owners. We, and any future owners of our contact should we sell, will have the full enjoyment of all the 14 “legacy” resorts, which have some of the best locations on property. But, this definitely dissuades me from buying direct unless there are some major MAJOR incentives.

Actually, I see this as a positive for current owners. We, and any future owners of our contact should we sell, will have the full enjoyment of all the 14 “legacy” resorts, which have some of the best locations on property. But, this definitely dissuades me from buying direct unless there are some major MAJOR incentives.
I was speaking of buying new points, I think our current contract wont be affected ..for now ...later when it's only good for 14 out of 20 something resorts for whoever we sell to who knows.

I think "legacy" resorts will have a higher resale value than the new resorts but the value will probably be less than if this new policy didn't go into affect.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the difference in selling price between a BCV contract with 10 years and exchange privileges vs a Riviera contract with almost 40 years and no exchange privileges.
Yes it will. I’d pay more for the BCV personally. This DVC II style of resort (Riviera & the Rehab resort - whatever it’s called) doesn’t do much for me.

I’d rather be able to exchange into BRV & BWV. Maybe they’re chasing millennial money & I’m older than their target demographic.

Last edited:
Yes it will. I’d pay more for the BCV personally. This DVC II style of resort (Riviera & the Rehab resort - whatever it’s called) don’t do much for me.

I’d rather be able to exchange into BRV & BWV. Maybe they’re chasing millennial money & I’m older than their target demographic.

I'll be honest, we're strongly looking at Riviera and our age (35) is a big reason for it. Don't get me wrong, I dearly love BCV, but those contracts are going to expire right when we start thinking about taking grandchildren to WDW. For that reason alone, contracts at any resort with a 2042 expiration date doesn't interest us.

We have stayed at SSR a few times and really liked it and while we aren't wild about the 2054 expiration date we would be perfectly happy staying there so if more details about Riviera, including more details about the point chart and whether or not we can book at non home resorts and all that, that we don't like we would likely do SSR resale. The premium for BCV simply isn't worth it to us with that expiration date....sure do love the walk to EPCOT though.

I wonder what this will do to treating points to Interval International or any of the other timeshare sharing companies? I'm not really sure how it works now since we don't own a DVC unit but it seems like this would put a major dent in that market if not completely eliminate it.

I was speaking of buying new points, I think our current contract wont be affected ..for now ...later when it's only good for 14 out of 20 something resorts for whoever we sell to who knows.

I think "legacy" resorts will have a higher resale value than the new resorts but the value will probably be less than if this new policy didn't go into affect.

Even for new points, contracts submitted after 1/19, it isn’t THAT big of a “punishment”. You can still trade within the 14 legacy resorts. Obviously, I don’t know your reason for buying additional points, but unless it was specifically to stay at Riviera (which you can still do with your current contract), nothing has substantively changed. The people who are really getting hosed are the Riviera buyers.

@Turn the Page - I understand your point of view, but you have no idea what life will be like for you or your family in 50 years. And now, this is essentially like any other timeshare. If some devastating life event happens and you need to get out from under your DVC contract, it will potentially be more difficult under “DVC II” than the current system.

Honestly, given that DVC is throwing rules/historical practices out the window left and right, who’s to say this new DVC will even have a 50 year contract? What if it is lifetime? After all, that is The Industry Standard...

Honestly, given that DVC is throwing rules/historical practices out the window left and right, who’s to say this new DVC will even have a 50 year contract? What if it is lifetime? After all, that is The Industry Standard...
Yes, we’re 42/3 (on the cusp of Gen X) & that was part of the reason we wanted SSR & BCV: there is an end to the contract! If we couldn’t unload them, then we wouldn’t be saddled with them forever.

Even for new points, contracts submitted after 1/19, it isn’t THAT big of a “punishment”. You can still trade within the 14 legacy resorts. Obviously, I don’t know your reason for buying additional points, but unless it was specifically to stay at Riviera (which you can still do with your current contract), nothing has substantively changed. The people who are really getting hosed are the Riviera buyers.
Yes Riviera buyers are who are getting hosed, all I'm saying is I think DVC has more resale value before these changes in the long run (resale 10 - 20+ years from today) and that confidence in long term resale value is what would affect my decision to take on more points direct or otherwise.

@Turn the Page - I understand your point of view, but you have no idea what life will be like for you or your family in 50 years. And now, this is essentially like any other timeshare. If some devastating life event happens and you need to get out from under your DVC contract, it will potentially be more difficult under “DVC II” than the current system.

No one knows what life holds for them 50 years down the road. I don't know if Riviera will be a good fit for us or not but I know buying BCV, either direct or resale, is not a good fit for us. Just because Riviera isn't a good fit for you does not mean it wouldn't make sense for us.

I see this as not a horrible thing for current owners as resale will not dip on those... it definitely hoses new purchases for sure! I have 4 contracts and wouldn't buy another after but it will be interesting if this goes through and Riviera starts a resale market in a few years what it would level off at... being stuck at just that resort would tank resale but lets be honest most timeshare sales are done because people are happy and on vacation already... dvc 2.0 sucks for all new buys but not us who already own

No one knows what life holds for them 50 years down the road. I don't know if Riviera will be a good fit for us or not but I know buying BCV, either direct or resale, is not a good fit for us. Just because Riviera isn't a good fit for you does not mean it wouldn't make sense for us.

I was just offering friendly advice, not trying to tell you “it doesn’t work for us so it shouldn’t work for you.” We have no idea how the new rules will work with Riviera, so talking about a 50-year contract may be moot anyway.

You nailed it. I wouldn't buy at Riviera anymore at this point.

Imagine those folks who finance this (a BIG part of the DVC sales pitch) and finance 20 or 30K, then in a few years go to sell, but can only get 10 because the resale market for these is going to be crap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter