Major DVC Change - Resale Market Only original 14 resort access

DisFanDad

DIS Veteran
Apparently news is breaking that as of January 19th, if you purchase DVC on the resale market, you points will only be able to be used at the original 14 resorts, not into the two new resorts under development (or any yet to be announced). This is a MAJOR shake-up to the DVC world / market and a very interesting development ahead of these new resort developments.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blo...bhWbFHuxsy1qW4GriY1iIbl1VToEMDHItjmnd-KZGkU-A

Disney is really trying to limit the resale market I guess.

I edited the details a bit, as I have read a couple more sites on it, still access to the original 14 resorts, but not anything new that is built. Still, yes, quite interesting.

That's strange.

Yea, I don't get it. Maybe legally they can't limit access to the 14 resorts due to whatever is in the DVC contracts ? Assuming they are going to change those for the new builds. The date is also interesting, esp as I am hearing whispers on the pricing of DRR, and they are releasing teaser adverts for it, must be getting ready to pop the lid off it.

Yea, I don't get it. Maybe legally they can't limit access to the 14 resorts due to whatever is in the DVC contracts ? Assuming they are going to change those for the new builds. The date is also interesting, esp as I am hearing whispers on the pricing of DRR, and they are releasing teaser adverts for it, must be getting ready to pop the lid off it.
It should still be a couple months before that. Copper Creek didn't go on sale until March/April and opened in July. Riviera will open in the Fall.

It should still be a couple months before that. Copper Creek didn't go on sale until March/April and opened in July. Riviera will open in the Fall.

Yeah, I thought they could only have 1 new DVC for sale at a time, so Riviera would have to sell out before they can announce pricing for a new DVC. Or maybe they just can't sell more than one a time.

Yeah, I thought they could only have 1 new DVC for sale at a time, so Riviera would have to sell out before they can announce pricing for a new DVC. Or maybe they just can't sell more than one a time.
Well they did already announce Reflections would be DVC so that's two new DVC properties.

they're still selling aulani and they were selling ccv and poly simultaneously

An even more interesting tidbit is that anyone who buys a RESALE at the Riviera will only be able to use those points at the Riviera. They will NOT be able to exchange them into the other 14 “original” DVC resorts. This could create a problem if you are unable to get a room during your preferred travel time due to availability...there’s no alternative. I would think the resale value of the Riviera is going to be significantly less than any of the other “classic” resorts.

My dos pesos on the resale thing ... if you're buying resale at a discount, it's to get DVC on the cheap. If you're buying resale at a specific resort (BW, BCV for example), you're buying to have early access to that resort because you want to stay there.

I'm still on the fence about buying direct about Riviera, but I'm leaning towards it with every information release. This definitely helps as it will make a brand-new resort in a VERY popular location "easy" to book for a while right after it opens during a very busy time.

My dos pesos on the resale thing ... if you're buying resale at a discount, it's to get DVC on the cheap. If you're buying resale at a specific resort (BW, BCV for example), you're buying to have early access to that resort because you want to stay there.

I'm still on the fence about buying direct about Riviera, but I'm leaning towards it with every information release. This definitely helps as it will make a brand-new resort in a VERY popular location "easy" to book for a while right after it opens during a very busy time.

All currently owned points will be able to book there so this really isn't going to change anything with regards to booking there. The problem comes if you ever need/want to sell because those resale points would be limited to only Riviera.

Wow they really want to kill the resale value of the new resorts don't they? Looks like those will likely become the worst places to buy direct and maybe a cheap deal to buy resale (if your okay with the restriction)

Other resorts have started selling more than a year before opening. No mandate that DVC follow the same playbook every time.

Sorry if a dumb question but I know some people have some points they bought directly and some they bought resale to add to it - would this mean you would have some points that you can exchange for the new resorts and others you cannot? So have to have truly like 2 separate accounts of points?

Sorry if a dumb question but I know some people have some points they bought directly and some they bought resale to add to it - would this mean you would have some points that you can exchange for the new resorts and others you cannot? So have to have truly like 2 separate accounts of points?

Yes. Most aspects of a DVC contract are already tracked separately. Each written deed has its own Home resort (and associated booking rights), Use Year, and so on. Resale points have been barred from use toward Disney Cruises and other non-DVC destinations for several years now. That's monitored on a contract-by-contract basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!