Lots more scooters riding the buses now

Hey, I'm fine with that, as long as ambulatory visitors are fine with being separated into groups of two.

This is the requirement for paratransit type service. As a PP suggested, this can be an alternate to the regular bus service which could remain available to them but with a twist. If the person wants to use the paratransit with one other person, they could. If they want to use regular bus service, the wheelchair or ECV user would wait in the regular line until close to the end when they are separated for bus ramp loading along with up to the 5 others permitted under current rules. If that person wants to travel with more than the allowed number of people, the extra people can board the front of the bus like everyone else and not jump ahead. Disney could even set up paratransit reservations on their app so it can be waiting for the person.

Disney doesn't need paratransit service.

But all this "If they want to use regular bus service, the wheelchair or ECV user would wait in the regular line until close to the end when they are separated for bus ramp loading along with up to the 5 others permitted under current rules. If that person wants to travel with more than the allowed number of people, the extra people can board the front of the bus like everyone else and not jump ahead."? Exactly!!! This is how it should work!

I think the setup at Epcot (and MK?) is a decent compromise, going through the line until the point where they'd be getting on the next bus and splitting there so they can load first. That at least prevents someone from jumping ahead of 4 busloads of people at park close.
It is a decent compromise until you have to be on a scooter. And you end up waiting for 3 or 4 buses before you can board.

Disney doesn't need paratransit service.

But all this "If they want to use regular bus service, the wheelchair or ECV user would wait in the regular line until close to the end when they are separated for bus ramp loading along with up to the 5 others permitted under current rules. If that person wants to travel with more than the allowed number of people, the extra people can board the front of the bus like everyone else and not jump ahead."? Exactly!!! This is how it should work!
so again it is fine for the nonhandicapped to cut in front of handicapped. only way you have a wheelchair/ECV in regular line stops when wheelchair/ECV gets to front and cant be loaded the whole line stops. I can hear the complaints now as buses pull out half loaded and the nonhandicapped wait is longer. that is the way it should work everyone waits the same time no one gets to cut in front of others and whole large groups could stay together

I cannot believe this thread is still going on with people complaining about the ECV’s and the busses. I can break it down pretty clear but first I will say that I do not use or need one. No one in my family uses one but we are understanding. If your able bodied and see the EVC’s and their users causing a problem with the busses then remember this:
1. No one is forcing you to use bus transportation. You can drive.
2. The busses are complementary. You do not need a park ticket or hotel reservation. Anyone can ride them.
3. Be thankful you do not need a mobility device to enjoy Disney
4. Get over yourself. Your not more important than any other person on this great planet.

I'm only replying to THIS argument... how is this any different than a bus that makes multiple stops and there's an ECV at the second stop? The bus could still be halfway full. So does the ECV not get on? That doesn't sound right.
During our trip at FQ last week, when the bus was sharing with POR (just for DS trips for the most part) yes, this is exactly what happened. The ECV got left behind

Do you realize you're suggesting WDW discriminate against individuals with mobility or stamina issues and their parties? Are you, as an apparently able-bodied person, willing to split your party into the same groups of two? How do you suggest they handle a party with one ECV, two total adults, and three toddlers?

Why in the world would you think it is acceptable to split up parties with disabled members, but not split up all groups?
Look, it's about common sense. I've seen parties of one scooter accompanied by six or more able bodied adults and even if there is a huge line with tired kids the entire party will invariably get on at the same time. This is when the driver should be allowed to use his discretion and suggest just one accompany the scooter driver. After all there are solo visitors who use scooters and they manage fine, and they tend to be older too. There is nothing to stop the scooter party refusing to get on and wait for the next bus, but, I've only seen that happen twice, both teens and their Moms coincidentally. There is also a sign asking parties of six or more to consider splitting, that never happens.

Look, it's about common sense. I've seen parties of one scooter accompanied by six or more able bodied adults and even if there is a huge line with tired kids the entire party will invariably get on at the same time. This is when the driver should be allowed to use his discretion and suggest just one accompany the scooter driver. After all there are solo visitors who use scooters and they manage fine, and they tend to be older too. There is nothing to stop the scooter party refusing to get on and wait for the next bus, but, I've only seen that happen twice, both teens and their Moms coincidentally. There is also a sign asking parties of six or more to consider splitting, that never happens.

I think it is only common sense to those who see people with ECVS as a huge imposition. There is nothing common sense about asking a family to split up in order to use a bus.

I wonder what the response would be if we replaced ECV with stroller? How about we tell a mom and her baby that she has to be split from her husband and other kids, because the rest of the guests would find it more convenient? I mean, many single parents visit the parks so it shouldn't be a big deal, right?

During our trip at FQ last week, when the bus was sharing with POR (just for DS trips for the most part) yes, this is exactly what happened. The ECV got left behind
It varies from driver to driver. As a veteran driver, I knew when I could safely load a ECV on a partially loaded bus. But I also knew when I shouldn't. When that was my call, it got left behind, sorry. It's a judgement call.
I learned my lesson early on after having my hand run over by a scooter and getting jammed between a scooter and seat several times. I figured it out by year six.

Wow, this thread is really a downer. My husband and I are taking my brother next week to Disney World. He's never been to Disney World before and is REALLY excited about this trip. He is severely disabled with cerebral palsy and can only walk with canes for a short distance. We are renting an ECV for him and hope that he doesn't get the 'evil eye' from people as we board the bus. There may be people who abuse the system but I'm guessing that most do not.

Wow, this thread is really a downer. My husband and I are taking my brother next week to Disney World. He's never been to Disney World before and is REALLY excited about this trip. He is severely disabled with cerebral palsy and can only walk with canes for a short distance. We are renting an ECV for him and hope that he doesn't get the 'evil eye' from people as we board the bus. There may be people who abuse the system but I'm guessing that most do not.

Laura 527

Go for it ........ forget the moaners & wingers ....... go and Enjoy yourselves

You will only see these People ONCE in your life .... so forget them

It is not ridiculous; the splitting rule is already in; you are not supposed to bring your large party onto the bus with a scooter. I'm suggesting that the number of people accompanying the scooter should be reduced to one, that's all, to be more fair to other guests.

In my case, my fiance has mobility issues and will require an ECV on our upcoming trip. There will be a total of three of us, myself, my fiance who will need the ECV and my autistic son who is non-verbal and has epilepsy...what would you suggest we do? It takes both of us to control the situation if my son has a seizure...so....

In my case, my fiance has mobility issues and will require an ECV on our upcoming trip. There will be a total of three of us, myself, my fiance who will need the ECV and my autistic son who is non-verbal and has epilepsy...what would you suggest we do? It takes both of us to control the situation if my son has a seizure...so....
What you do is enjoy your vacation with your family and don't worry about what narrow minded people say. I hope you have a great vacation!

It is a decent compromise until you have to be on a scooter. And you end up waiting for 3 or 4 buses before you can board.

Do you mean after you get to the split? I don't see how splitting off earlier would help that if there are just more ECVs/wheelchairs/etc than the buses can handle. If you mean in total, well that's the same as everyone else in line.

We will have eight in our party when we go to The World in June and the plan is for everyone else to get on the bus through the normal line and if I have to wait in my ECV for another bus, so be it.
I'll catch up to them in the park.

We will have eight in our party when we go to The World in June and the plan is for everyone else to get on the bus through the normal line and if I have to wait in my ECV for another bus, so be it.
I'll catch up to them in the park.

Why is that your plan? Disney does allow you to board the bus with 5 guests. Why ride alone?

Why is that your plan? Disney does allow you to board the bus with 5 guests. Why ride alone?
Well........
If my Family can get on a bus but there's no room for my EVC I'll wait and catch the next bus.
I did an eight day trip solo last August so I'm OK with being alone on my faithful steed.
We all have cells so I won't have any trouble locating them in the parks. :-)

Thank you! I am sure we will have a great time.
do what you need to do to enjoy your vacation. I even had someone suggest to us that I take 6 year old grandson with me and let husband wait in line for bus, I need help to move to a seat as drivers were not letting me remain in ECV. as another said you wont see them again so just have a great trip. ps driver said for my husband to board with grandson and me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter