I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just starting this whole process, but already made my first mistake. I applied for the CSR but not the CSP. But I'm learning! Thanks to some year end necessary spending, and my oven dying yesterday in the middle of roasting our Thanksgiving turkey, I crossed the $4000 spend requirement way early! Before 30 days since opening it!

If I understand correctly, I should hold off on applying for another Chase card until 30 days from the CSR? I'm worried about trying for a business card, so might try for one of the other cards.

Also, I just referred my husband for the CSR and we'll try to do CSR and CSP on the same day for him. How long does it take for the referral to generate an offer to him? I'm not wanting to "waste" any of my Christmas shopping spending without satisfying a "spend" requirement.

What would be the next recommended card for me? My goal is to accumulate enough travel points for 2 flights to Europe, flying out of the Raleigh/Durham airport.

I'm just starting this whole process, but already made my first mistake. I applied for the CSR but not the CSP. But I'm learning! Thanks to some year end necessary spending, and my oven dying yesterday in the middle of roasting our Thanksgiving turkey, I crossed the $4000 spend requirement way early! Before 30 days since opening it!

If I understand correctly, I should hold off on applying for another Chase card until 30 days from the CSR? I'm worried about trying for a business card, so might try for one of the other cards.

Also, I just referred my husband for the CSR and we'll try to do CSR and CSP on the same day for him. How long does it take for the referral to generate an offer to him? I'm not wanting to "waste" any of my Christmas shopping spending without satisfying a "spend" requirement.

What would be the next recommended card for me? My goal is to accumulate enough travel points for 2 flights to Europe, flying out of the Raleigh/Durham airport.

Others can help more, but the easiest way to get the referral is to pull up your Twitter referral link and then just paste that into a new tab. The emails can take days or more too show up.

Uh oh. I just used the twitter link for my husband's application, applied for both CSP and CSR, different devices, different browsers. Both immediate responses were that they needed 30 days, would notify by mail.

Is that normal? I thought mine was an immediate approval, pretty much identical information. He's at 1/24, and credit is in the 800s. Is it because mine was within the 30 days?

Uh oh. I just used the twitter link for my husband's application, applied for both CSP and CSR, different devices, different browsers. Both immediate responses were that they needed 30 days, would notify by mail.

Is that normal? I thought mine was an immediate approval, pretty much identical information. He's at 1/24, and credit is in the 800s. Is it because mine was within the 30 days?

yours and his shouldnt connect. Id probably call in and see whats up.

He will need to call but make sure he doesn't mention applying for both cards. Good luck!

I messaged Chase regarding the Best Buy and Walmart promo since I didn't receive emails. They confirmed the promo was available on both my CSR and CFU and for Walmart was "the bonus points are capped at 3,250 points". I find that very interesting because that means the 1x I would normally get on my CSR or 1.5x on my CFU won't count toward the 3,250 since UR separates out the "bonus" points from regularly earned points- potentially. I won't be testing this out yet but I wanted to throw it out there for everyone else to ponder or report DPs on if they already exceeded the purchase limits at Walmart or BB. [This looks confusing on my re-read... Theory: $325 spend only nets 2,925 "bonus points". $361 spend would yield 3,249 "bonus points". Bonus points are kept track of separately from normal points.] This is just a theory I have no data to back this up yet.

Just for future reference, I think the guidance is if the first card does not get automatic approval to call and get it approved before putting the second app in the system.

Thank You. I plan to book a trip next year using Ultimate Reward points and have been a little stressed because it seems this approach is not talked about as much as others. Availability at Pop Century or Caribbean seems good. But most seem to only talk about using points with Swan and Dolphin and off site hotels.
Your right going through the chase portal is a bit higher, but since using points what the heck.

If your dates are fairly certain and you have the points book sooner rather than later. Rooms available do sell out. If the room you pick is refundable you can always cancel and change it around if the price drops or you decide to go a different way. I was going to originally book a one bedroom at Old Key West but it became unavailable before I booked. Also put only one person in the room; usually it makes the UR points cheaper. When you call Disney it is easy to add the extra people in the room.

Since I called Wednesday I have received numerous emails from Disney about our upcoming stay...now that it is in the MDE system it is like a regular room only reservation. I will post if it ends up working but I am thinking that I might call and see if possible to add dining plan to one of the rooms. (If my husband is going to be on site he will want to be well fed). I just need to work the system to get enough in gift cards to pay for it when I call; but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Woke up to fraud alerts for my Hyatt card. Glad they caught it and that it's not the csr I'm meeting spend on but not the best thing to wake up to.

I am sorry that happened! I had something similar a couple weeks ago on my Hyatt. But the alert looked different than previous Chase fraud alerts I had received. Instead of calling the number on the email I called the number on the physical card. He looked and couldn't see anything at all. Weeks later and still no unauthorized charges on the card. Basically I guess they got some of my information (email and fact had Hyatt card) and was trying to scam and steal another way. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank You. I plan to book a trip next year using Ultimate Reward points and have been a little stressed because it seems this approach is not talked about as much as others. Availability at Pop Century or Caribbean seems good. But most seem to only talk about using points with Swan and Dolphin and off site hotels.
Your right going through the chase portal is a bit higher, but since using points what the heck.

As you and kmc8826 noted- it is generally going to be a higher points redemption going through the Chase portal. You don't see this talked about much because most people in this hobby look for ways to maximize value, and if you read this thread then you know that there are many different ways to redeem URs. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the approach you want to use- and shouldn't cause additional stress just because no one posts about it. The portal and it's redemption values are common knowledge for many in this hobby, so there is really not much to say about it since it is a straightforward process. You call, you book, you're done. We all do what is right in our own personal situations, so if this is the way you feel good about- then do it (they are your points, after all).

Using points to book flights and hotels helps us free up the vacation budget to afford something like Adventures by Disney or another luxury tour operator. ABD doesn’t go to Iceland in the winter. We booked a few days with Icelimo who we’ve used before during the DCL Frozen cruise a couple of years ago. We are from Florida and have no clue how to drive on icy roads or in the snow. Seeing vehicles blown off to the side of the road from the strong winds made me even happier with that choice. If you recall, we couldn’t go ice caving yesterday due to the weather and roads closed. It is our last day and we planned to go to the Blue Lagoon again for Mr. Calypso’s Birthday today then back to the hotel.

On our way back to the hotel our guide said he wanted to show us a cool spot. We pulled up next to the entrance of a lava tube cave and as we made our way down I thought it odd that a flag of Iceland would be planted by the entrance. So, we knew something was up. As I entered the cave I was shocked to find it all lit up and decorated with candles and the light reflecting off of the icicles in the lava tube cave, complete with a seating area. Waiting for us there were some of the Icelimo team members. They put together traditional Old time Icelandic foods and our guide regaled us with the stories and history of each. Fish jerky is pretty good especially with butter. Traditional rye bread is baked buried in the ground by a hot spring, sheep’s head is a delicacy and what kept the longest during the harsh winters. The mashed root vegetable was pretty tasty and the taste of fermented shark is chased by a drink known both as fire wine and Black Death. I was blown away and reduced to tears, not by the foul taste of fermented shark or the Black Death, but by this amazing and thoughtful gesture to give me some kind of an ice cave experience. This is our second time touring with Icelimo and we will be back again a couple of winters from now to go to a proper ice cave. Gotta rack up the points and miles first!

@Albort - I’ll see if I can snap some pics of the hotel before we leave in the morning and the plane when we board. My room looks like a hurricane came through and invited all it’s friends.

@afan - Below are the pic of the Yule Lads and troll parents.

1D55778B-B690-4999-BB22-CF7E0EDB5713.jpeg
ED7AC7C6-1FDD-4512-A0B2-B67952A31C0F.jpeg
187C2E70-161E-436A-88F4-DE6F9F7C8108.jpeg
152B52DF-08A3-46EE-8C78-262447BD635D.jpeg
6937D2EF-B478-4606-BF2A-49099C21E867.jpeg

I am sorry that happened! I had something similar a couple weeks ago on my Hyatt. But the alert looked different than previous Chase fraud alerts I had received. Instead of calling the number on the email I called the number on the physical card. He looked and couldn't see anything at all. Weeks later and still no unauthorized charges on the card. Basically I guess they got some of my information (email and fact had Hyatt card) and was trying to scam and steal another way. Just something to keep in mind.

That's scary and good to know. I saw the text message first and then the email but I always call the number on the card vs text or email. It was only 98 cents on Itunes in the middle of the night while I was sleeping at least.

Below are the pic of the Yule Lads and troll parents.

Those are fun and not at all like the cute trolls I was thinking, they look more like real people. That's super cool that the tour company did that for you guys, memorable and special.

Several of us have redeemed UR points to pay for WDW onsite rooms, including me. We did it just this past September and the rates were not higher at all (and I'm obsessive and checked daily against Disney's site...). I am guessing this depends on the dates you are going and how popular that time is. We were going during a low crowd time. I did a mix of strategies to cover our 9 nights at WDW. We also did a split-stay. We booked two standard rooms at CS for 4 of those nights and in total, the redemption for that part was right at 80k UR points. So, that made each room, with taxes, right at $100 a night. I didn't think that was bad at all! While it may not be the 'most valuable' use of UR, it was what worked for our family :)

A month before we went, people going in August were posting that they were seeing YC for $149 night on UR's site. It was never that low for our dates. So, the prices are not always higher. I just recommend keep checking even after you book. Sometimes the prices drop a lot in the week or two before the date.

Several of us have redeemed UR points to pay for WDW onsite rooms, including me. We did it just this past September and the rates were not higher at all (and I'm obsessive and checked daily against Disney's site...). I am guessing this depends on the dates you are going and how popular that time is. We were going during a low crowd time. I did a mix of strategies to cover our 9 nights at WDW. We also did a split-stay. We booked two standard rooms at CS for 4 of those nights and in total, the redemption for that part was right at 80k UR points. So, that made each room, with taxes, right at $100 a night. I didn't think that was bad at all! While it may not be the 'most valuable' use of UR, it was what worked for our family :)

A month before we went, people going in August were posting that they were seeing YC for $149 night on UR's site. It was never that low for our dates. So, the prices are not always higher. I just recommend keep checking even after you book. Sometimes the prices drop a lot in the week or two before the date.
Our WDW trip next March will be a split stay at Poly, booked with UR points thru Chase portal, and Dolphin, booked with Starpoints. I keep checking to make sure UR prices haven't gone down, so far only up.

Woke up to fraud alerts for my Hyatt card. Glad they caught it and that it's not the csr I'm meeting spend on but not the best thing to wake up to.
Last week I got a text alert from my Discover account (I set up the alerts) for a $1 charge for FedEx. I was suspicious but not at home. 2hours later, another $1 charge. I got home, texted DH to make sure he didn't charge anything and then called Discover. They agreed they were suspicious charges & closed the account. I just got replacement cards today.

Our WDW trip next March will be a split stay at Poly, booked with UR points thru Chase portal, and Dolphin, booked with Starpoints. I keep checking to make sure UR prices haven't gone down, so far only up.

My aunt is going in March also. I keep checking her Pop rooms booked through UR. Not only have the prices gone up but now Pop isn't even available anymore. I really think, just like many other aspects of a trip to Disney, time of year and predicted crowds are important.

My aunt is going in March also. I keep checking her Pop rooms booked through UR. Not only have the prices gone up but now Pop isn't even available anymore. I really think, just like many other aspects of a trip to Disney, time of year and predicted crowds are important.
What's available at Poly now is mostly concierge. We're going first weekend in March which is start of Flower & Garden

Another thing to consider, and I did this in august, while also comparing the UR site...

Hotwire opaque bookings had great deals in August. After the great rate and their promo code, I ended up paying $88 a night for POFQ. THat beat the UR price, even with the better redemption rate there. So I booked the Hotwire deal and reimbursed myself with chase points. Just something to double check since most of us don’t usually cash out our points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter