Hurricane Milton - WDW Resorts Related Updates & Planning Thread

My sister (mandatory evac, Tampa Bay) is headed to Orlando tomorrow with daughter and pooch. She managed a YC res tomorrow night and a Cars Suite Wed night but nothing for Thurs despite being on hold for almost 3 hrs yesterday. She was able to fill up her car yesterday, but there are already shortages along the I-4 corridor. I’m so hoping she is able to stay at YC the whole time, but I feel better knowing she will likely be accomodated. To all who are in the path, please stay safe. To those headed down, I’m so sorry about your vacation plans :(.

Question (or a few):
We are staying a at Art of Animation (family suite) through Tuesday night and supposed to check out on Wednesday morning. On Wednesday, we are supposed to move over to Caribbean Beach for 2 nights until Friday, when we are supposed to board our cruise.
With the worst of the storm probably on Wednesday, how is that move going to work?
Or is it going to happen at all?
Since AoA is more expensive, if we're forced to stay there an extra day or two, do we have to pay the difference? Also then, what would happen to our CB reservation?
You're there now? If that's the case, just go down and talk to the front desk. In these situations, they do really operate very much on a case-by-case basis. They can go over your options with you.

Group of 11 was scheduled to fly in Wednesday at 12:50 pm. We looked at flying in early on Tuesday, but couldn't extend our reservation and didn't want to be caught at an offsite hotel during a hurricane. Because we are working around school fall break and have limited flexibility, we rescheduled for Thanksgiving. Yes, we know it will be more crowded but we were afraid our flight in would get canceled pushing us into losing a day at the parks. We fly Southwest so we were able to rebook flights. Now rebooking dining ressies.

Group of 11 was scheduled to fly in Wednesday at 12:50 pm. We looked at flying in early on Tuesday, but couldn't extend our reservation and didn't want to be caught at an offsite hotel during a hurricane. Because we are working around school fall break and have limited flexibility, we rescheduled for Thanksgiving. Yes, we know it will be more crowded but we were afraid our flight in would get canceled pushing us into losing a day at the parks. We fly Southwest so we were able to rebook flights. Now rebooking dining ressies.
The holiday decor will all be up and it’s beautiful!!

I would personally reschedule if I was due to arrive later this week. I know Disney can handle this, but I worry for the surrounding areas and diverting resources away from those who truly need them. Cast members will have their own families and homes to worry about once this storm is over. But I know it’s not an easy decision and everyone has their own circumstances.

We have friends who arrived Saturday for their first ever Disney trip. The kids were so excited, so I hope they’ve been experiencing the magic the past few days and still have a great trip. I hope and pray everyone stays safe across FL the next few days♥️

If we both make it we can do an online high five.

We are there from the 13-17th, followed by a night near Tampa…it’s a redo trip for the crappy weather during Helene. Yeah, here’s hoping Milton veers off and misses Florida entirely. Crossing fingers, toes and everything else for minimal damage.

Tangentially related… Orange and Osceola County (most of WDW is in Orange County with a small portion in Osceola County) public schools have announced they will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. FYI.

We had a similar experience and were over at Wilderness Lodge during Ian. The cast members were amazing. I always felt safe, although the westerly winds across Bay Lake were powerful. We were in room #5000, right on the northern corner, and taking the brunt of it.

Concerning my post with a warning to consider the resort layout, as you know, the Boardwalk is all one large building. So you were fine being in a DVC room and had access to the lobby etc... some might not know that Beach Club Villas are not connected to Beach Club. I am BCV DVC as well. But, where we rode it out at Wilderness Lodge, Boulder Ridge Villas were cut off from the Lodge (Lobby, restaurants, gift shop) for a time. Consider any resort that you have to exit your building to get to the main lobby. So fun for some, but not for all.

I've wondered about some of the DVC resorts during a hurricane. If you are at BoardWalk Villas, you are in the same building as BoardWalk Inn. But if you are at BeachClub Villas, it's a different building from Beach Club resort; there are no restaurants or shops in the Beach Club Villas building. Same thing regarding Wilderness Lodge: Copper Creek rooms are within the Wilderness Lodge main building, but Boulder Ridge is a separate building. There are no restaurants or shops in the Boulder Ridge building.

So I've wondered what it's like to be at BCV or Boulder Ridge during a hurricane. No matter how well the guests in the main building are being treated, I would think it would be difficult (if not impossible) to get to the main building during the brunt of the storm.

I've wondered about some of the DVC resorts during a hurricane. If you are at BoardWalk Villas, you are in the same building as BoardWalk Inn. But if you are at BeachClub Villas, it's a different building from Beach Club resort; there are no restaurants or shops in the Beach Club Villas building. Same thing regarding Wilderness Lodge: Copper Creek rooms are within the Wilderness Lodge main building, but Boulder Ridge is a separate building. There are no restaurants or shops in the Boulder Ridge building.

So I've wondered what it's like to be at BCV or Boulder Ridge during a hurricane. No matter how well the guests in the main building are being treated, I would think it would be difficult (if not impossible) to get to the main building during the brunt of the storm.

We were at the Poly during Ian. While the worst of the storm was overnight - I was out on the deck during some of the storm. During some of the earlier bands, we were going back and forth between buildings - utilizing some of the hallways in other buildings to stay dry to make the walk outside shorter when getting to the main building.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest