• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

History question: Why are 1-bedrooms "priced" so high?

I wonder how big the outcry would be from the general DVC owners, if DVC rolled back the studios to 4 maximum occupancy and increased all 1 bedrooms to a 5 maximum? I also wonder if they could do this with Poly, since it was specifically setup to allow 5 in a studio?

We are a family of 5, so I guess we could fit in some of the studios, but I would never enjoy a vacation that I couldn't get a good night sleep in. After our 2015 Poly Hotel vacation with our first 2 children, it became quite clear we needed at least and extra hotel room..... which lead to our eventual discovery of DVC.

I wonder how big the outcry would be from the general DVC owners, if DVC rolled back the studios to 4 maximum occupancy and increased all 1 bedrooms to a 5 maximum? I also wonder if they could do this with Poly, since it was specifically setup to allow 5 in a studio?

We are a family of 5, so I guess we could fit in some of the studios, but I would never enjoy a vacation that I couldn't get a good night sleep in. After our 2015 Poly Hotel vacation with our first 2 children, it became quite clear we needed at least and extra hotel room..... which lead to our eventual discovery of DVC.

And of any of them - the Poly seems best set up to accomodate 5 people. They don't really have more living space, but at least extra bathroom space.

I totally agree. 5 should be in a 1BR if 5 are allowed in a studio. Move the connecting door or something.

So, what is the question on 1BR occupancy? From many websites, a studio is 345-440 sq feet. A 1BR (according to the same websites) is 640-750 sq feet.
(I am guesstimating, as I have not looked at the actual websites in a while). So DOUBLE ( or almost double )the sq footage, and they only sleep 4???? I do not believe it is sqaure footage that is the problem. I have read it is the "connecting door" that is the problem. Why could they not move it? Or move the "chair" that is there. (I am not an engineer, but figure that something could be moved to accommodate 5 people... Just my .02..

So, what is the question on 1BR occupancy? From many websites, a studio is 345-440 sq feet. A 1BR (according to the same websites) is 640-750 sq feet.
(I am guesstimating, as I have not looked at the actual websites in a while). So DOUBLE ( or almost double )the sq footage, and they only sleep 4???? I do not believe it is sqaure footage that is the problem. I have read it is the "connecting door" that is the problem. Why could they not move it? Or move the "chair" that is there. (I am not an engineer, but figure that something could be moved to accommodate 5 people... Just my .02..
I don’t think the connecting door is the problem either because how did they manage it in the studios when they have a connecting door? I think it was purely a marketing ploy to put 5 sleeping surfaces in a studio to market to larger families for cheaper. As for why say CCV doesn’t sleep 5 that is the connecting door issue I’m sure.

I don’t think the connecting door is the problem either because how did they manage it in the studios when they have a connecting door? I think it was purely a marketing ploy to put 5 sleeping surfaces in a studio to market to larger families for cheaper. As for why say CCV doesn’t sleep 5 that is the connecting door issue I’m sure.

I do believe there were other options should they have wished to add a 5th sleeping spot. But the issue with the Murphy bed tables they had chosen at the time is the counter and breakfast bar in the 1br. The studio had a freestanding table and chairs that could be pulled out.

What I would love to see is them add a murphy bed to every 1BR in the master bedroom and the living room -- bringing the area up to 6. I think that would make the 1BRs much more attractive to many more families.

I can't see doing this in the villas that already sleep five in the 1BR. In the older resorts, BWV, BCV, SSR and VWL, the door access to the bedroom blocks the ability to have a murphy bed--see KAT4DISNEY's post below for more details. As to placing a murphy in the master bedroom, most are too narrow for a murphy bed and would block the walkway. And there are quite a few adults that don't want their kids in their bedroom during a vacation, that is why they get one bedrooms.

Disney wasn't doing members any favors increasing studios to 5, it was all about transferring for expenses to us from the hotel.

The expenses are based on names on the registration. It is not based on occupancy. Plus members wanted this option especially those members DVC allowed to purchase small contracts and points go farther when you have a smaller villa.

I do believe there were other options should they have wished to add a 5th sleeping spot. But the issue with the Murphy bed tables they had chosen at the time is the counter and breakfast bar in the 1br. The studio had a freestanding table and chairs that could be pulled out.

Thanks.

I can't see doing this in the villas that already sleep five in the 1BR. In the older resorts, BWV, BCV, SSR and VWL, the door access to the bedroom blocks the ability to have a murphy bed--see KAT4DISNEY's post below for more details. As to placing a murphy in the master bedroom, most are too narrow for a murphy bed and would block the walkway. And there are quite a few adults that don't want their kids in their bedroom during a vacation, that is why they get one bedrooms.

I'm talking about the murphy bed that folds out from the TV stand. They have those in studios in many of the updated rooms. If they can do it in that, then I don't see why they couldn't do it everywhere.

BWV, BRV, SSR and BCV have similar sized 1BRs and studios. BWV and BRV have the connecting doors in the living room near the patio door, but even without that, putting in a sleeper chair in the 1BR or Murphy bed from a cabinet below the TV is not going to work. You mention the size of the studios in comparison to the 1BRs but a lot of that 1BR space is devoted to the master bedroom, the two room bathroom area and a walk-in closet. For all four resorts, the living room area (excluding the kitchen) is actually only about 60% of the size of the sleeping area in the studio. The width is smaller than the studios. Also, there is a kitchen cabinet area, with the sink and dishwasher in it, that runs halfway across the middle of the living room/kitchen area substantially shortening the length of the living room.

The result is that there is not enough space anywhere for a sleeper chair and the Murphy bed would, when pulled down, be too close to the pulled-out couch, and, even if it could be put in, there would not be enough space to make it longer than that needed for a child because of the connecting doors in BWV and BRV, and making it adult length in BCV or SSR would eliminate the area currently used for the lounge chair, meaning that chair would have to be eliminated to allow a 5"11" long Murphy bed, like in the BCV, BWV and BRV studios.

Last edited:
BWV, BRV, SSR and BCV have similar sized 1BRs and studios. BWV and BRV have the connecting doors in the living room near the patio door, but even without that, putting in a sleeper chair in the 1BR or Murphy bed from a cabinet below the TV is not going to work. You mention the size of the studios in comparison to the 1BRs but a lot of that 1BR space is devoted to the master bedroom, the two room bathroom area and a walk-in closet. For all four resorts, the living room area (excluding the kitchen) is actually only about 60% of the size of the sleeping area in the studio. The width is smaller than the studios. Also, there is a kitchen cabinet area, with the sink and dishwasher in it, that runs halfway across the middle of the living room/kitchen area substantially shortening the length of the living room.

The result is that there is not enough space anywhere for a sleeper chair and the Murphy bed would, when pulled down, be too close to the pulled-out couch, and, even if it could be put in, there would not be enough space to make it longer than that needed for a child because of the connecting doors in BWV and BRV, and making it adult length in BCV or SSR would eliminate the area currently used for the lounge chair, meaning that chair would have to be eliminated to allow a 5"11" long Murphy bed, like in the BCV, BWV and BRV studios.

Have to disagree with you on "similar sized 1BR's and studios at BRV and BWV".See below chart.... NO way they are close to being the same size. As for the rest of your post, I still think the "bean counters" could rearrange the 1BR somehow to accommodate 5. Maybe too much work for the existing "original 14" resorts as they say, but for Future resorts, they could do this. I have read on MANY forums/discussions that the "fire code" was the issue and the sq footage was the issue. I would totally disagree with all of that. I still think that they COULD change BRV, BWV, etc etc 1BR to accommodate 5. I feel now it is too late in the game, as only 23 years or so are left on those resorts. As we all know after the 2020 point change/change back, Disney I feel is not always looking at helping the members, and would not change the configuration to 1BR's to "help us out" as far as accommodation capacity is concerned. Again, just my .02.......

Attachments

• Bwv studio and 1BR size.png
    Bwv studio and 1BR size.png
    546 KB · Views: 10
^The chart you provided indicates that the studios at the BWV, BCV and BRV are close to the same size, likewise the 1BRs, so I am not sure why you conclude there is "no way" they are close to the same size. Those three resorts do allow 5 in the 1BR but you have to provide the bedding for the fifth. I have been in all three and they all have the same issue -- the actual living room area is only about 60% the size of the sleeping room in the studio and really cannot fairly accommodate a sleeper chair or Murphy bed

Otherwise as far as building resorts that have bedding for five in a 1BR, you do not need to wait for future resorts. The resorts added at WDW in the last 12 years, except Poly which has no 1BRs and CCV where the 1BRs are smaller than other resorts, have been constructed to sleep five in the 1BR -- AKV (except for the small value rooms) and BLT each have the sleeper chair, and VGF has a Murphy bed. Those 1BRs are all larger than BWV, BCV or BRV. I am one who will express concern with actions Disney has taken that I believe are improper and the evidence indicates that. However, as far as I can tell, Disney's actions in relation to the 1BRs, other than its recent attempt to raise nightly points for them and claim it was due to higher demand for 1BRs, have not been done because of any self-interest on its part or against the interests of the members.

^The chart you provided indicates that the studios at the BWV, BCV and BRV are close to the same size, likewise the 1BRs, so I am not sure why you conclude there is "no way" they are close to the same size. Those three resorts do allow 5 in the 1BR but you have to provide the bedding for the fifth. I have been in all three and they all have the same issue -- the actual living room area is only about 60% the size of the sleeping room in the studio and really cannot fairly accommodate a sleeper chair or Murphy bed

Otherwise as far as building resorts that have bedding for five in a 1BR, you do not need to wait for future resorts. The resorts added at WDW in the last 12 years, except Poly which has no 1BRs and CCV where the 1BRs are smaller than other resorts, have been constructed to sleep five in the 1BR -- AKV (except for the small value rooms) and BLT each have the sleeper chair, and VGF has a Murphy bed. Those 1BRs are all larger than BWV, BCV or BRV. I am one who will express concern with actions Disney has taken that I believe are improper and the evidence indicates that. However, as far as I can tell, Disney's actions in relation to the 1BRs, other than its recent attempt to raise nightly points for them and claim it was due to higher demand for 1BRs, have not been done because of any self-interest on its part or against the interests of the members.
)

I think you misunderstood my point. I was saying that the studio (with the small sq footage) sleeps 5.. Or most of them. Well, ALL of them at BWV now based on the "updated studios". The 1BR which has a LOT more sq footage than a studio, sleeps 4. I was pretty much talking about our home resort of BWV. I hope this clarifies my post, and that is what I was talking about. To me, (again I am not an engineer or designer, nor play one on TV), while they were "redesigning the studios at BWV", they could have "redesigned the 1BR".. OR, do that at a later date. But, I am a teacher, not a designer..

Again, my .02.....

Another point on BWV. IF according to the chart below (they ALLOW 5 in the room). So..... If they allow 5, how do they NOT have room to put a bed?
Doesn't the person sleeping on the floor with an air mattress (I know-no bedding/sheets provided), take up ALMOST the same amount of room as a bed???? Just DOES NOT compute in my science mind.

Attachments

• Bwv studio and 1BR size.png
    Bwv studio and 1BR size.png
    546 KB · Views: 2
The problem as I noted is the actual living room size in BWV, BCV and BRV, which is a lot smaller than the studio living area. A redesign would likely at least have to take out that kitchen counter that runs across the center of the room and redo the entire kitchen tp be smaller. They actually figured out how to do it when building the 1BRs at Jambo which have the room for the sleeper chair. As far as total sq ft go, those are close to BCV. BRV and BWV, but the design is substantially different. The living room is significantly larger, particularly in length, and that was accomplished in a number of ways. The kitchen has nothing running across the middle of the room but is mostly on one side of the room with a small, movable counter table toward the center, a lot less sq footage is devoted to the bedroom, bathroom and closets -- the bathroom is one room that is smaller than then two rooms at BWV, BRV, and BCV, the bedroom is also smaller, and there is no walk-in closet but instead a stand alone closet in the bedroom. But absent a very costly redesign and almost complete redo of the 1BR, they cannot change BCV, BWV and BRV into a Jambo design.

They can allow five in BWV when you supply your own bedding because you can fit a sleeping bag or blow-up mattress in the bedroom, the hallway, or even the kitchen floor; also a sleeping bag can possibly fit between the couch bed and the balcony doors since it is a lot less bulky than a sleeper chair

Last edited:
They need a bunk dropping out of the ceiling with a detachable ladder like on DCL or the single murphy that drops out of a cupboard/closet if there’s room.

They need a bunk dropping out of the ceiling with a detachable ladder like on DCL or the single murphy that drops out of a cupboard/closet if there’s room.

No they don't. Not in the L14 resorts. I like the 1 bedroom as is, the way it was when we purchased. Wish they had left the studios alone, too.

IMO, they can make occupancy & configuration changes in the new resorts.

No they don't. Not in the L14 resorts. I like the 1 bedroom as is, the way it was when we purchased. Wish they had left the studios alone, too.

IMO, they can make occupancy & configuration changes in the new resorts.
Maybe I phrased that wrong..... In order to make 1bds worth 2x the points and make them not dead last to book they should look into how they can entice families of 5 or 4 with boy/girl combos to book them. As it is, they are out of balance in the system.

It's just my DH and I in a DVC room. My DH prefers 1BR (as do I), but sometimes we stay in a studio to save points. The 1BR is worth twice as much to us. The extra room, 2nd TV, king bed, large tub, walk-in shower, full refrigerator with freezer, washer and drier, fully outfitted kitchen etc. are worth a lot to us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter