• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

History question: Why are 1-bedrooms "priced" so high?

The argument has been that there is no room for the murphy because of the connecting door.

What I would love to see is them add a murphy bed to every 1BR in the master bedroom and the living room -- bringing the area up to 6. I think that would make the 1BRs much more attractive to many more families.
So, bunk room 1 and bunk room 2? Thankfully I’m highly doubtful of that ever happening.

What I would love to see is them add a murphy bed to every 1BR in the master bedroom and the living room -- bringing the area up to 6. I think that would make the 1BRs much more attractive to many more families.

I suppose that would increase popularity but I boy it would turn those 1-bedrooms from spacious to cramped in a hurry with 6 people. (I don't think I could ever put 5 in a studio either unless they were little kids.)

The beauty of the Murphy beds is that if you don’t want to use them, they’re tucked out of sight and out of the way. You only open them if you need them. It’s a win win.

The argument has been that there is no room for the murphy because of the connecting door.
I'd sacrifice the couch for a murphy bed! Or a couch with a low-enough back that the murphy bed could come down over it. We are only a family of 3 so don't need the extra space of a 1BR or 2BR, but I really want a second bed. At our recent stay at AKV the sofa bed was awful.

I'd sacrifice the couch for a murphy bed! Or a couch with a low-enough back that the murphy bed could come down over it. We are only a family of 3 so don't need the extra space of a 1BR or 2BR, but I really want a second bed. At our recent stay at AKV the sofa bed was awful.

They seem to be planning to replace all the sofa-beds with those sofa/murphy bed combos. (Put into SSR and if you look at the Riviera photos on the Disney website they show them in Riviera.)

We have a trip planned next year for my MIL, my daughter, and myself. We are staying in a 1BR at BLT because of the extra bathroom. That’s as small as I’ll go for 3 ppl for 4-5 nights. Personally, I think the max of 5 ppl is fine for a 1BR. I think max 5 ppl in a studio is crazy. That seems horribly cramped. I know some of the 1BR’s are max 4 ppl which is silly because some studios sleep more than some of the 1BR’s. Again, my stance is that they should’ve maxed out studios to 4 ppl and 1BR’s to 5 ppl. I have no interest in them pushing up the 1BR’s to 6 ppl. I don’t like the school of thought of cramming as many as possible into every room type.

We have a trip planned next year for my MIL, my daughter, and myself. We are staying in a 1BR at BLT because of the extra bathroom. That’s as small as I’ll go for 3 ppl for 4-5 nights. Personally, I think the max of 5 ppl is fine for a 1BR. I think max 5 ppl in a studio is crazy. That seems horribly cramped. I know some of the 1BR’s are max 4 ppl which is silly because some studios sleep more than some of the 1BR’s. Again, my stance is that they should’ve maxed out studios to 4 ppl and 1BR’s to 5 ppl. I have no interest in them pushing up the 1BR’s to 6 ppl. I don’t like the school of thought of cramming as many as possible into every room type.
Plus when they crammed more people into BCV, BRV, and BWV studios they actually increased the wear and tear on those units. More people means more damage to be expected but same point cost thus higher MF to all members.

Plus when they crammed more people into BCV, BRV, and BWV studios they actually increased the wear and tear on those units. More people means more damage to be expected but same point cost thus higher MF to all members.

Exactly. While this is an unpopular opinion, I think they did us all a disservice by allowing 5 ppl in a studio. That’s too many people for essentially a hotel room. That’s the reason most hotel rooms max out at 4 people. Even then, a lot of single hotel rooms (non-suites) are split 50/50 between 2x queen beds and a single king bed. In most hotels, if the room has a king bed, it is max 2 ppl for occupancy (possibly 3 if they allow a rollaway). That means that half of the hotel rooms will, in theory, get less damaged than the 2x double or queen bed rooms. I have a family of 4. I can stay with my kids in a hotel room for a night. Other than that, it’s just too small for 4 people and all of our stuff everywhere even though I’m pretty good about keeping it contained. Sorry to rant, but this really bothers me.

I’m a person that’s always looking for a deal and to squeeze the most out of situations for savings. However, this is one situation where I think DVC got it wrong by allowing too many people in a studio because of the wear and tear that many people creates on such a small space. I’m not saying a single person staying in a 2BR can’t do a ton of damage of s/he wants to, but that’s much less likely than 5 ppl in a studio. Others are free to disagree, but that’s my opinion.

Last edited:
We are a family of 4 but felt the same as you. We almost never stayed in a conventional hotel room with our two boys. We preferred a suite type setup with kids in their own space and preferably in a different room from us. We stay in 1 BR’s for even just the two of us if more than a night or two. We stayed once at VGF in a HA studio. I disliked the space or more accurately the lack thereof for the two of us. Cannot fathom 5 in that space, although I respect other’s choice to do so. Agree as well on the wear/tear observation.

Exactly. While this is an unpopular opinion, I think they did us all a disservice by allowing 5 ppl in a studio. That’s too many people for essentially a hotel room. That’s the reason most hotel rooms max out at 4 people. Even then, a lot of single hotel rooms (non-suites) are split 50/50 between 2x queen beds and a single king bed. In most hotels, if the room has a king bed, it is max 2 ppl for occupancy (possibly 3 if they allow a rollaway). That means that half of the hotel rooms will, in theory, get less damaged than the 2x double or queen bed rooms. I have a family of 4. I can stay with my kids in a hotel room for a night. Other than that, it’s just too small for 4 people and all of our stuff everywhere even though I’m pretty good about keeping it contained. Sorry to rant, but this really bothers me.

I’m a person that’s always looking for a deal and to squeeze the most out of situations for savings. However, this is one situation where I think DVC got it wrong by allowing too many people in a studio because of the wear and tear that many people creates on such a small space. I’m not saying a single person staying in a 2BR can’t do a ton of damage of s/he wants to, but that’s much less likely than 5 ppl in a studio. Others are free to disagree, but that’s my opinion.
I agree with you. Adding that Murphy & increasing the occupancy also allows Disney to allocate a larger share of the common expenses to DVC for the locations like the Boardwalk & Wilderness Lodge that share with a hotel.

No I agree - in fact what they really should have done is made it so all the studios sleep four and the 1-BRs sleep 5. This gives those with 5 people an option that doesn't require a 2-BR - AND would drive 1-BD desirability. (I am sure there are families of 5 that will disagree with me - but we have done 4 in the studios - and I wouldn't want to do 5. )

No I agree - in fact what they really should have done is made it so all the studios sleep four and the 1-BRs sleep 5. This gives those with 5 people an option that doesn't require a 2-BR - AND would drive 1-BD desirability. (I am sure there are families of 5 that will disagree with me - but we have done 4 in the studios - and I wouldn't want to do 5. )

I completely agree. Studios should be 4 ppl max and 1-bedrooms could be 5 or 6 ppl max. I’d lean towards 5 max in a 1BR but wouldn’t have any problem with 6 ppl.

As a family of 5 we agree. We expect to use more points as a larger family, but it doesn’t make sense to have to use 2x the points & have someone sleeping on the floor. Totally backwards.

If they can figure out how to make an oceanview cabin on DCL sleep 5 with 4 surfaces, why not 3 surfaces in a 1bd?

I agree with you. Adding that Murphy & increasing the occupancy also allows Disney to allocate a larger share of the common expenses to DVC for the locations like the Boardwalk & Wilderness Lodge that share with a hotel.

Disney wasn't doing members any favors increasing studios to 5, it was all about transferring for expenses to us from the hotel.

Disney wasn't doing members any favors increasing studios to 5, it was all about transferring for expenses to us from the hotel.
I think that might be true but also could have other reasons. If it was only about transferring costs of the resort then there would have been no reason to add a 5th into the studio at Riviera. I think it was a marketing move mostly. Sell the product easier.

Yes, well the truth is there's a lot of families with 3 (small) kids that would rather not have to book two rooms. Putting 5 in a studio helps them out. As I said before when I stated they should've left the studios at 4 - there are certainly people out there that really love that they can fit 5 in there.

Personally I think even allowing 4 teens and above in a studio and more than 5 in any 1 BR is a disservice to the membership. Some of those resorts are stuck with it but not all. I wonder if the rollback of the reallocation increases the chances they'll enforce the contractual limits at any of the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter