Headache / Sinus Infection Relief

Coming late to this thread, glad to hear you're feeling better. My first thought was that it can take a few days for sinus infections to start feeling better because there's so much congestion in a small space in your head, you can't help but be severely affected by it.

I was also going to ask you how you were taking the ibuprofen, and whether it was OTC or prescription dose. Many people don't seem to take it correctly.

I was also going to suggest cold compresses to your head. Heat expands things so can make congestion worse (although if it helps, then hey). Cold constricts, so in theory, it would help the swelling a bit. But really, it's about whatever works for you.

I had a horrible upper respiratory infection 2 years ago on top of chronic sinusitis. The gunk in my sinuses wouldn't budge for anything despite doing Sudafed, Mucinex and sinus rinse (which would not go through). I came across some articles about hard to treat sinus infections due to biofilms. Basically you put a drop of baby shampoo in your sinus rinse (I use NeliMed squeeze bottles). I was desperate and tried it. My sinuses started draining almost immediately after and more and more with each rinse. Look up "baby shampoo for sinus infection" and you should get a few articles.

I used to get awful sinus headaches. I was told to put a hot wash cloth on my face. I would fold the wash cloth so it hit my forehead and top of my cheeks (not the whole face). Then wet it with water as hot as you can stand and press it on your face for several minutes. You could even heat it in the microwave. Just be careful. I was amazed at how quickly it worked. It actually saved my skin when I was at a convention and could hardly stand the noise and lights. I ran back to the hotel room and did this little trick and I was able to go back and enjoy my dinner. I hope you get better soon!

I use a sock filled with rice, and put it in the microwave.

Also, for your neck, push hard and downward along from the base of your skull to your neck. Something about that always helps my migranes.

Oh, also, for my sinuses...I start sneezing. I'll play with black pepper to get it going, and once I start, the sneezes seem to get things moving. Either my nose starts to run and I start clearing out or if I'm only swollen, it relieves some of the pressure. It has to be good hard sneezes, none of those dainty ones.

Since Monday, I've been getting insane headaches that are almost worse than my two week migraine last fall I had. Monday night I was laying in bed shaking, plus I was super sore for two days.

Those symptoms have gone away but the pain, it is horrible. I went to see the doctor and they are thinking sinus infection since I was having sinus pain for about a week before, and a lot of the pain is in the front of my head/face.

The antibiotics, ibuprofen, musinex is not doing anything to assist the headache part.

Looking for suggestions from other Dis'ers. I can't even lay down and close my eyes to get away, it makes it even worse. I pretty much had to sit and not move my head an inch. Tried a hot shower too and nothing.

Any oils etc to try? I'm literally desperate. I see my primary care doctor mid week.

Man do I hate when that happens. Your goal is to reduce inflammation.

Get on Flonanse for starters and stay on it for a few months until spring allergies pass.

You can use AFRIN for a bit, doctors only recommend using for 3 days MAX because of rebound inflammation. It does reduce inflammation quickly so you can have drainage, which reduces inflammation, which reduces pain. (The circle of sinuses.)

I would try out a antihistamine, like Claritin as well.

In addition, for something a little out there you can do lymph drainage. Since I have lymphedema, I know about this.

Worth a shot. Lymph fluid is gel like and not water like. So when things get inflamed and backed up the lymph fluid gets backed up as well. Helping lymph back up will also help your sinuses drain.

It also helps if you do deep diaphragmatic breathing to get your lymphatic system moving.

There is my 2 cents...get well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter