Headache / Sinus Infection Relief

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
Since Monday, I've been getting insane headaches that are almost worse than my two week migraine last fall I had. Monday night I was laying in bed shaking, plus I was super sore for two days.

Those symptoms have gone away but the pain, it is horrible. I went to see the doctor and they are thinking sinus infection since I was having sinus pain for about a week before, and a lot of the pain is in the front of my head/face.

The antibiotics, ibuprofen, musinex is not doing anything to assist the headache part.

Looking for suggestions from other Dis'ers. I can't even lay down and close my eyes to get away, it makes it even worse. I pretty much had to sit and not move my head an inch. Tried a hot shower too and nothing.

Any oils etc to try? I'm literally desperate. I see my primary care doctor mid week.

My son was sick last week with a stomach bug followed by an intense headache for several days. One of my best friends had something similar this week and the terrible headache was the worst part of it.

Maybe it's a virus and will pass? I hope you feel better soon.

I had a sinus infection a few weeks ago. The pain was mostly in my forehead area. After a few doses of the antibiotic, the pain subsided quite a bit. The main problem was the congestion from my sinuses being swollen.

I don't get migraines, but I'm wondering if the infection is exacerbating your migraine? The pain you're describing seems much more intense than what I usually get with a sinus infection. Hope you feel better soon!

Scalp/face/neck massage. This is what I do for DW & it works 99% of the time.

I might go and get some excedrin. I'm hoping the antibiotics helps. The doctor thought it was viral and turned bacterial since it hadn't gone away and my sinuses aren't flushing well.

Any tips for massaging my neck myself? I'd go get a hydromassage at the gym, or even splurge for a real one but I can't lay down while awake at all.

I have been using the neti pot. It wasn't flowing out the other side properly but I keep trying. Im not getting much congestion.

I used to get awful sinus headaches. I was told to put a hot wash cloth on my face. I would fold the wash cloth so it hit my forehead and top of my cheeks (not the whole face). Then wet it with water as hot as you can stand and press it on your face for several minutes. You could even heat it in the microwave. Just be careful. I was amazed at how quickly it worked. It actually saved my skin when I was at a convention and could hardly stand the noise and lights. I ran back to the hotel room and did this little trick and I was able to go back and enjoy my dinner. I hope you get better soon!

I'll try the hot and cold wash cloth too. Not sure which one will work better. I just took a sudefed as well that someone recommended. I don't do well with pain so I want these gone.

I'll try the hot and cold wash cloth too. Not sure which one will work better. I just took a sudefed as well that someone recommended. I don't do well with pain so I want these gone.
Forget the cloth. Get in the shower.

I have chronic sinusitis, a lovely bonus from my year-long allergies. I've been dealing with this for many years and I have not yet found a quick fix. Tylenol sinus used to help but they seem to have stopped making it--the kind behind the pharmacy counter, the over-the-counter stuff is no good. On the really bad days I take short-acting sudafed every 4-6 hours (again, the Sudafed that is sold behind the pharmacy counter). If the pain is really bad I will follow that with 2 ibuprofen and then alternate with tylenol every 3 hours. I've tried the gel masks that you can freeze/microwave because I was told that alternating moist heat and cold could help induce drainage and dry your sinuses up, but I found that I couldn't handle any pressure on my face at all, not even the weight of an eye mask. Also, the aerosol nasal spray helps a bunch, but it hurts like heck when my sinuses are infected, just warning you; it's exactly like spraying salt water on an open wound. Anyway, I spray into each nostril and then kind of swish it around my sinus cavity without letting it run down the back of my throat, then lean forward and blow my nose forcefully. You can do this as often as you need. I know some people who swear by their neti pot but for some reason they make me nervous, but that's another thing you could try. Also, I've found that sleeping on my back with my head slightly elevated seems to help my sinuses drain, after a few nights of sleeping like this I notice some improvement.

If you are looking for essential oils to help, doterra sells a blend called "breathe" that has eucalyptus and mint and some other stuff that encourages sinuses to drain. I've used that too, I don't apply it to my skin but I use the little vial sort of like smelling salts, I just open the lid and wave it under my nose as needed. I guess a cough drop would do something similar? Steaming your sinuses in a long, hot shower can help too. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Sinex nasal spray and then immediately do the net pot. The sinex will open the nasal passage so the water can flow through. Also, swap the neti pot for the NeilMed Sinus Rinse squeeze BOTTLE (available at most drug stores). This is far more effective than the pot.

Also, boil water in a large pot then inhale the steam with a towel over your face. Do this for 20 min. It will work.

Hope you feel better soon. I suffer frequent sinus infections and migraines as well so I know your pain.

I’ve had some horrible sinus problems due to allergies, including massive headaches. I’m not sure if it’ll help in your case, but my doc said to use Flonase and Zyrtec together. After a few days my headaches stopped and my sinuses have been fine since.

I’ve also used Advil Sinus Congestion and Pain- it’s the only thing that makes flying on a plane bearable. Vick’s Sinex is also a godsend for quick relief (but using it for too long can be problematic).

Sinex nasal spray and then immediately do the net pot. The sinex will open the nasal passage so the water can flow through. Also, swap the neti pot for the NeilMed Sinus Rinse squeeze BOTTLE (available at most drug stores). This is far more effective than the pot.

Also, boil water in a large pot then inhale the steam with a towel over your face. Do this for 20 min. It will work.

Hope you feel better soon. I suffer frequent sinus infections and migraines as well so I know your pain.
Yesterday hit pretty bad and I was feeling awful. I used the NeliMed Sinus Rinse squeeze bottle and It helped. Today I even felt a lot better. Advil cold and sinus meds usually works but not this time.

Another vote for Advil Cold and Sinus with pseudoephedrine. Sometimes if my head hurts really bad I'll take an additional couple of motrin along with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter