Footwear!

Oh my gosh, Buz! This site is so funny!! Who knew there were shoe police out there actually photographing footwear offenders!
I'll know I made a bad choice in footwear if I see someone too close to my tootsies with their camera!

I would definitely have to go with Birkenstocks as my first choice- as with everything, just make sure you break them in before you go. I wear mine all the time and they are SO comfy. Also, you will have to spend the $$ to get actual Birkenstocks, not those "fakenstocks" that are sold at payless, yes they are a lot of money (mine were about $90) but I have also had mine for a few years and they are still in good shape. The other kind that I find really great are the adidas sandals (dont know a model name) they come in black or navy and have the little massage-y bumps on the bottom. Takes some getting used to, but once you do, they're great!

PS- the bad shoe website was hilarious!!:D

I have worn Tevas on 2 trips now and not one single blister!! For any of you who have tried them on and had them rub uncomfortably, make sure they are the styles that have padding on all the straps. The cheaper Tevas do not have this padding and do not feel nearly as comfortable. I also have a couple of pairs of Landsend sandals and although they are fairly comfortable, I only wear them to go to dinner at WDW. They are not very good for serious walking.

Originally posted by ZPT1022
I would definitely have to go with Birkenstocks as my first choice- as with everything, just make sure you break them in before you go. I wear mine all the time and they are SO comfy.

While I'm not the sandle type of guy (barefoot or fully-shod), I have to disagree with you about 'breaking them in'. If they're not 100% comfortable when you try on a shoe, keep looking. If they're too tight, get a larger size instead of torturing your feet stretching them. If they're too stiff, look for a 'softer' leather. If the straps hurt, try adjusting them in the store, but if you cant' get them to be comfy, you may never get them to be comfy. The point is, ignore everything your mother taught you and get something that fits right in the first place. :)

Wifeypoo always wanted to 'break-in' her shoes to make them 'fit better' until she came to the realization that she needed to put as much attention to her shoe purchases as she did her bra buying. :p

Unlike Chance's Mom, I don't obsess about footwear. I obsess about my feet. :)

-Joe

I usually take a good pair of tennis shoes, broken in sandals, and I know this is awful, but a good pair of flip flops. Some like you can order from Land's End. My feel actually feel cooler and better in them than in anything else. Plus when you are resting you can slide your feet out of them! I don't mind the thing between my toes and these are best for me!

http://www.saucony.com/
http://www.coolrunning.com/

I got my sister's handmedowns in college. Wore the handmedowns for 3 years every day before having to buy another pair. Ran at least 4 days a week. The arch just didn't wear out. I even washed them -- didn't break down.

I have been wearing them for omigosh -- I guess 10 years now. Have hammer toes and narrow heels. These fit like a dream. Always buy the low end models at the mall and Sports Authority. Could spend over a $100 for the models they sell in the running magazines, but don't even need them. Check what model you buy whether you "pronate" and how.

Broke down and bought atheltic sandals 2 trips ago. They are Skechers. Have a new love now. I just swap them out with my Saucony. Hubby loves his new Skechers for work, too. He was always a Nike boy, but not now.

Some Saucony are hideously ugly -- I hate to say it, but I think the uglier they are, the more comfortable they are. What's up with that?

Don't forget what propping your feet up will do -- and changing socks midday even if you don't change shoes.

***UPDATE***

I called their headquarters in NH and they gave me a list and I drove to a store today about 30 miles away but not that long of a ride; 20 minutes.

They had the Ecco Mobile but I wasn't impressed. They seemed a bit tight for me. Then I tried on their new sandals called Receptor Inca that I had read about on the Internet and they were SO comfy I couldn't help but buy them even though my husband is going to KILL me! I'm addicted to shoes lately since I get blisters and I've been trying to find good walking shoes to wear to WDW. So I've bought a variety recently trying to find the best ones for our trip.

If you don't mind the steep price, then these sandals are the best if you want an alternative to sneakers and a shoe that will last forever.

If you'd like to see them, I've put a link below.

Receptor Inca sandals

Can anyone here who've bought Ecco shoes tell where you got them other than the Internet???

I can't find them anywhere around here!!

I'd love to try on their new walking sneakers "mobile" to see if they are worth the money but can't find a single store near me that sells them.

I got a great deal on a new pair of Eccos on Ebay. I wear an unusual size and I paid $15.00 for a pair of Cosmos with shipping. My sister, who wears a more average size, got a pair from the same seller for $40.00. This seller always seems to have a lot of them for sale.

I bought 2 pairs in the last month from Ebay. One pair are Cosmo II from probably the same guy as you ($35 including shipping). You got them at a GREAT price. He's go several going now. My other pair are black cool soft boot for $30. I love them both but the Cosmos are a hair tight around my ankle but the soles are amazlingly comfortable and cool. I feel I don't sweat in them! I can still wear them even though their a tad tight. I only feel it when I'm sitting around but walking, their fine.

The new ones I got today are amazingly comfortable. They don't have the same sole as the Cosmos but they make up for it in their comfort!

Glad to see I'm not alone in my love for Ecco shoes!:)

Beattyfamily--
Those sandals look awesome. Did you buy men's sandals, or do they come in ladies?
What store did you end up buying them at, dept. or sporting goods?
I have a pair of men's Rockport sandals and they are great, buit 10 days in Orlando plus I wear them just about everyday, they may not last:) 'til my next trip.
I don't like the sandals with no arch, and these appear to have one.

Iowagirl,

They have women's sizes. I got women's size 38 which is size 7 - 7 1/2. I got the brownish color so it would go with all my clothes at WDW even though I love black.

I ended up getting them at this chain store called "The Walking Company" which has stores all over America. They have a website and you can search for a store near you.

I had no luck anywhere else. No other big department stores carried Ecco. No other shoe stores around me.

The lady at Ecco in NH said that sometimes Macy's carries them and also The Bostonian and George Davis. There are also plenty of places on the Internet that sell them and some of them do have free shipping and no sales tax.

www.shoebuy.com is having a sale for Independence day; 15% off with "FLAG" code.

sandals at Shoebuy.com

These sandals are amazingly comfortable! Absolutely NO brack in time.

Good luck!

I love my Straprunner II's, and hope they pull through for me this trip! Last night, while packing, I stubbed my pinkie toe so bad, I think I broke it!!:( Bad timing, we leave tomorrow morning! This should make for an interesting trip!:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I recommend the Nike Straprunners. I'm currently on my 2nd pair. I've tried Birkenstocks and was deeply disappointed. In fact it goes far beyond mere disappointment. Try to imagine a grown man of 25 years weeping like a 6 year old girl at midnight in Tomorrowland. I took them off then and there and pitched them into the garbage. The pain was indescribable. I walked barefoot out of the Magic Kingdom, onto the monorail and back to the Polynesian. I don't even like to go barefoot at the beach, but this was a necessary action.

The Straprunners were like a dream come true. These new Straprunners III are just great.

Jonathan

In my obsession with shoes lately (so I don't get blisters at WDW), I've bought the Straprunner II when they were on sale at www.justforfeet.com and they fit well and seemed comfy till I wore them for awhile. I didn't like the bumpy sole. I don't know if you get used to that or not but my feet didn't like it. Do you get used to it?

Then I also was one of the many here who bought the $5 sandals at Landsend and I do love them for water parks and the beach but I don't think they'd be good for long days and lots of walking. There's no rubbing or tightness just not a good sole for terribly long days of walking.

Now I have the Ecco sandals I mentioned before in this thread and so far they are amazingly comfy! No break in time; no tightness or sore feet; no rubbing in the wrong places. The sole is designed in such a way that it fits my feet perfectly. I will use these for long walking as an alternative to sneakers (I get blisters every single trip), unfortunately, they are not meant for getting very wet. But that's alright. I'll use the Ecco pair for long walking and my Landsend pair for water stuff. I'm happy!

All that's missing in my collection of shoes for WDW are a really comfy good pair of sneakers. I bought walking sneakers made by Nike over a year ago and I still get very hot and blisters. I even tried using the special (blister free) socks with them and still got blisters. I've heard that shoes should fit tight and not loose, is that true? . Any recommendations? They would need to be wide for me and specially made for walking. Thanks!

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but he doesn't get blisters for some reason so he doesn't understand my obsession.

Good luck everyone searching for the perfect sandals/shoes!!

;)

Buz - I must admit that i have always been in awe of ppl who can pull off highheels and such during a day at WDW! lol...

I don't think i would be able to enjoy the day between the pain in my feet from walking & trying to keep them on in large crowds!! (Illuminations exodus!!)

I have found the most comfortable shoe ever...they are called Vans...it is a skateboarding shoe company but they are soooo comfy!...i probably have about 4 pairs hehe

I ordered these and wore for my nightly 2 mile walk.

BIG MISTAKE.

Didn't really rub anywhere, but the back of the sandal hit my heel in just a way that was agonizing. 2 days later it still hurts. Maybe it was too much too soon.

Plus they are really ugly.

I also have straprunners ordered.

I've got some New Balance walking shoe & Birkenstocks. My problem is not my feet hurting, it's my lower back. Nothing seems to help that.

A question about these nike Straprunner sandals. I have been looking for them online, and found them at justforfeet.com. They only have them in men's and only starting at size 8mens. Since that is about two sizes too big:D I was wondering if anyone has seen them in women's (or even a men's size 5 1/2 or 6). Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter