Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Let's not forget that at the beginning of all this, Theme Parks were exempt from the closures.

What I'm remembering was that the larger TP were exempt from the immediate closure orders issued in March due to 'the complexity of their operations' but it was predicated on the fact that they would close at a later date once they'd safely closed down operations. I was under the impression that the mandatory closure order issued in July covered TPs.

If TPs aren't mandatorily closed, then DL would be 'legally' free to open with the safety precautions used at WDW. The fact that they haven't and are begging for guidelines says to me that for some reason they can't. Maybe Cal-OSHA re worker safety? Maybe the prohibited 'indoor operations' putting the kibosh on most of DL's attractions? IDK.

Mod Edit: This post is addressing the issue of DL having mostly outdoor rides.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I strongly disagree about most rides being outdoors. Lines - yes, Rides - no. I looked at the app and the outdoor rides that I find are below:

Disneyland park :
  • Gadgets go coaster
  • carousel
  • astro orbitor
  • autopia
  • casey jr
  • canoes (but have serious doubts those could open with distancing)
  • railroad
  • dumbo
  • jungle cruise
  • mad tea party
  • mark Twain riverboat
  • storybook land canals
  • tarzan’s treehouse
dca:
  • Golden zephyr
  • goffy’s sky school
  • grizzly river run (not sure since I don’t ride it)
  • incredicoaster
  • inside out emotional whirlwind
  • carousel
  • jumpin jellyfish
  • luigis rollicking roadsters but would need to rework line that goes into a building
  • maters junkyard jamboree
  • mickeys death wheel aka Pixar pal-a-round
  • challenge trail
  • symphony swings
dca is a little better with outdoor stuff, but disneyland is seriously lacking. I would not be willing to have days charged on my pass or pay full price with so many major things missing (pirates, space, star tours, millenium falcon, rise of the resistance, haunted, buzz, small world, Peter Pan( and othe fantasyland dark rides): indy, sparing, racers, guardians of the galaxy, monsters inc, toy story). I want Disneyland to open as much as everyone but not with such a limited offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought they would be closed this long...and now my heart worries if they can’t open soon, will it be possible to open late, financially speaking. If so, what will be lost forever? We were so lucky to have so many amazing oppertunities like tours And character dining. Businesses need to be able to open.
I can’t imagine what December might look like for Disneyland. I am hoping gates are opened, and people are enjoying every single moment of Disney holiday magic.

New week starts tomorrow... anyone throwing darts at the board to guess when we get an update?
We will get an update from Dr. Ghaly on Tuesday announcing the new tier assignments but I am guessing that isn't what you are talking about.

As for an update on Theme Parks, I don't expect anything "soon." I'd be surprised to hear anything about Theme Parks before the Mid-October.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I strongly disagree about most rides being outdoors. Lines - yes, Rides - no. I looked at the app and the outdoor rides that I find are below:

Disneyland park :
  • Gadgets go coaster
  • carousel
  • astro orbitor
  • autopia
  • casey jr
  • canoes (but have serious doubts those could open with distancing)
  • railroad
  • dumbo
  • jungle cruise
  • mad tea party
  • mark Twain riverboat
  • storybook land canals
  • tarzan’s treehouse
dca:
  • Golden zephyr
  • goffy’s sky school
  • grizzly river run (not sure since I don’t ride it)
  • incredicoaster
  • inside out emotional whirlwind
  • carousel
  • jumpin jellyfish
  • luigis rollicking roadsters but would need to rework line that goes into a building
  • maters junkyard jamboree
  • mickeys death wheel aka Pixar pal-a-round
  • challenge trail
  • symphony swings
dca is a little better with outdoor stuff, but disneyland is seriously lacking. I would not be willing to have days charged on my pass or pay full price with so many major things missing (pirates, space, star tours, millenium falcon, rise of the resistance, haunted, buzz, small world, Peter Pan( and othe fantasyland dark rides): indy, sparing, racers, guardians of the galaxy, monsters inc, toy story). I want Disneyland to open as much as everyone but not with such a limited offering.

The indoor rides move through large, well ventilated spaces. That, coupled with limiting capacity and social distancing the vehicles, mitigates any potential spread of this virus.

Again, it takes SUSTAINED, CLOSE contact with an infected individual for a period of time exceeding 15 minutes to get infected. This is what science tells us. This does not occur in any indoor ride at Disneyland. It COULD occur in theaters and holding rooms in ride pre-shows, all of which are not currently in use at Disney owned theme parks around the world.

In the absence of close contact, virus transmission requires poor hygiene protocols (i.e. touching a heavily contaminated surface and then touching a mucous membrane). This can literally happen anywhere, and is not more likely to happen at Disneyland than anywhere else where people go. Thus, Disney has installed hand wash stations and hand sanitizer stations throughout the park.

They have thought of everything possible to mitigate the spread. If I had to guess, their medical/scientific advisors are following best practices from Asia and the European countries who have embraced the idea that eliminating the possibility of superspreader events goes a long way towards defeating the virus.

I agree. I do think people forget that. So 10 - 20 people may be at the bowling ally or arcade vs 10 - 20 THOUSAND in a theme park. People congregating in lines, eating in restaurants (no masks), etc. The risk is a lot greater at a theme park vs those smaller venues.

The same for the distance requirement. Keeping people within a smaller geographic area reduces the spread if one was to contract the virus at the parks. An asymptomatic employee passes it along to people from all over the state/country. Then they bring it back to their home area and spread it there.

And let's not forget that at the beginning of all this Theme Parks were not even an OPTION to reopen until the end of the pandemic. So the fact that they are thinking about allowing theme parks is progress.
What beginning are you referring to? When things started reopening back in end of may/June, they were going to be in "phase 3" of four. Four was things like sports with love audiences.

What beginning are you referring to? When things started reopening back in end of may/June, they were going to be in "phase 3" of four. Four was things like sports with love audiences.
When the stay at home order was first put in place (back in March) Theme Parks were in Phase 4, along with concerts, live sports, etc. At some point they were moved to "later Phase 3."

I am very close to writing him a letter about reopening theme parks. Our family is starting to suffer mentally from the lack of the ONE thing we were able to do with our kids for fun that doesn't result in autistic meltdowns. It is therapeutic for our kids and my youngest, especially, is having a very hard time with Disneyland being closed with no sign of when it might open.
I sincerely hope you are sending him an email with all this. I agree with you. And we have WDW open, using masks and social distancing (along with extra cleaning, etc...) to use to show it can work.

When the stay at home order was first put in place (back in March) Theme Parks were in Phase 4, along with concerts, live sports, etc. At some point they were moved to "later Phase 3."
Hm I'm not so sure about that. I've been watching the governors press conferences religiously since back when COVID hit and have been trying to reschedule my cancelled April trip since March. Back in March, everyone was under the impression that this was a "two week lockdown" to get things under control then things spiraled. They didn't even announce phases til closer to beginning of May which included theme parks on 3 as I was so happy to hear "we are just months away" from the governor

I feel like the woman in the old Mervyn's commercial who is leaning onto the closed glass doors while saying "Open, Open, Open", but, I am staring at the websites of Disneyland and Knotts while saying "Open, Open, Open".
Fun fact for the day: The actress in the original Mervyn's commercial who made that phrase famous is the same person who voiced the original soundtrack for Luigi's Flying Tires. :) I don't know if she's the same person on the current soundtrack. You can find her and several other great voice actors on a panel in a video from one of the D23 Expos, Broadcasts from Buena Vista Street. She might also be on the radio show that plays inside Oswald's.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest