DisDads IT Kung Fu Questions and Answers

OK IT Gurus!

I have a multifunction printer in our office that is able to send emails to folks by scanning documents and attaching them as pdf files.

All of the sudden 2 months ago it decided it wanted to stop working. It acts like it's sending it and then you go to your inbox to check for the email and it's not there.

I've quadruple checked all of the email settings...account, password, smtp server, authentication etc...

The kicker is, I use that same account through outlook with the same settings and it works fine!!! :scared1:

I tried a different smtp server and login etc...(different email account/domain all together) and it works fine - so it's not the machine.

Would there be something in the smtp side of things that would differentiate a copier/multi-function machine from a standard pc to prohibit it from working?

This has got me baffled! :headache:

The multifunction device should work just like any other email client when it comes to talking to an SMTP server. It's a pretty limited vocabulary (HELO/EHLO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO ,DATA). I would check on the email server logs to see if a connection is being made from the IP address inhabited by the multifunction device. Because it works with another account, though, I would imagine that it is either getting flagged as SPAM and dropped into wherever the mail server puts SPAM.

You don't say what email server you're running there, but there may be settings for maximum attachment size that may be balking with the PDFs being run through.

If you've got the logs, I can take a look. PM me and I can give you an email address to send the logs for perusal. As long as it covers the period of time in which you were trying to send something through the multifunction device, it should reveal something valuable.

The multifunction device should work just like any other email client when it comes to talking to an SMTP server. It's a pretty limited vocabulary (HELO/EHLO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO ,DATA). I would check on the email server logs to see if a connection is being made from the IP address inhabited by the multifunction device. Because it works with another account, though, I would imagine that it is either getting flagged as SPAM and dropped into wherever the mail server puts SPAM.

You don't say what email server you're running there, but there may be settings for maximum attachment size that may be balking with the PDFs being run through.

If you've got the logs, I can take a look. PM me and I can give you an email address to send the logs for perusal. As long as it covers the period of time in which you were trying to send something through the multifunction device, it should reveal something valuable.

Unfortunately, we have our mail hosted by an outside vendor and do not have access to those logs. If I'm able to talk them into giving them to me - I'll look you up!

In the meantime, we're using a work-around by going through another ISP's mail server. It's a temporary fix that may turn into a permanent one.

Oh great Zen masters of the kung fu it thread, I seek your wisdom.

Windows XP home edition. I uninstalled my audio driver. I reinstalled the driver but still no sound. Please help!!!

Weird question, and if it's against any rules, please delete and let me know: Has anyone gotten a Red Ring of Death on their Xbox 360(Three red lights and no worky)?

Yes, I have. if its the older style Xbox 360 the issue is in the clamp MSFT used to attach the heat sync. It puts pressure on the soldier which holds the CPU down and that breaks. To fix it take the Xbox plug it in and wrap it tightly in 2 towels. Turn it on for 20 minutes. It overheats to the point that everything reconnects. didn't believe it until I did it on my XBOX 360 when I got the red ring of death. Look up Xbox towl trick on YouTube to see someone doing it.

Oh great Zen masters of the kung fu it thread, I seek your wisdom.

Windows XP home edition. I uninstalled my audio driver. I reinstalled the driver but still no sound. Please help!!!

Hmmm. I'm sure there are lots of. Dudes on this thread with much better IT chops than me, especially guys like FED. Since none of them have piped in yet I figured I'd throw out a suggestion. First if you check your device manager is your sound card showing up and does it have an exclamation point beside it.

Here's a link to opening device manager in XP

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/opendmxp.htm

If it has an exclamation point next to it open it and see if you can change the driver to the new one that you just installed.

Hmmm. I'm sure there are lots of. Dudes on this thread with much better IT chops than me, especially guys like FED. Since none of them have piped in yet I figured I'd throw out a suggestion. First if you check your device manager is your sound card showing up and does it have an exclamation point beside it.

Here's a link to opening device manager in XP

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/opendmxp.htm

If it has an exclamation point next to it open it and see if you can change the driver to the new one that you just installed.

I found the device manager and exclamation point, but when I tried to change or reinstall it, nothing happened. This netbook did not come with a external cd drive, so I have to download it from somewhere if I can't figure this out.

I found the device manager and exclamation point, but when I tried to change or reinstall it, nothing happened. This netbook did not come with a external cd drive, so I have to download it from somewhere if I can't figure this out.
What brand and model # is the netbook?

Those were the first I ran across when I did a google search too. If you flip your laptop over on left hand side you should see something that says asus eee pc 1000. Is there anything after the 1000? For example mine is 1000HE.

No. Just 1000.

If you keep going further in the small print, there are some chinese symbols after Eee PC. I've got FCC ID: MSQEPC1000

No. Just 1000.

If you keep going further in the small print, there are some chinese symbols after Eee PC. I've got FCC ID: MSQEPC1000

What has the exclamation point after it? Did you try those other drivers you found?

What has the exclamation point after it? Did you try those other drivers you found?

I forgot the driver itself (didn't say realtek). When I tried to open and reinstall it, it could not be completed. I'm trying this ASUS driver and see if I have any luck. It's got one more minute. If it doesn't work, I'll go get that info and post it.

Nothing.

Under device manager and "other devices", I have ! BT-253. I can disable it. When I try to update driver, it takes me to hardware wizard which cannot find the update. I can select something manually, but not sure what I need to select there.

Nothing.

Under device manager and "other devices", I have ! BT-253. I can disable it. When I select driver detaila, it says no dirver files are required or located for this device. When I try to update driver, it takes me to hardware wizard which cannot find the update. I can select something manually, but not sure what I need to select there.

Nothing.

Under device manager and "other devices", I have ! BT-253. I can disable it. When I select driver detaila, it says no dirver files are required or located for this device. When I try to update driver, it takes me to hardware wizard which cannot find the update. I can select something manually, but not sure what I need to select there. I can uninstall this and try to install either the new thing I just downloaded or something else.

Nothing.

Under device manager and "other devices", I have ! BT-253. I can disable it. When I select driver detaila, it says no dirver files are required or located for this device. When I try to update driver, it takes me to hardware wizard which cannot find the update. I can select something manually, but not sure what I need to select there. I can uninstall this and try to install either the new thing I just downloaded or something else.

Remove it, and then search for new hardware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter