College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to be enrolled in classes at your University/College during the College Program? That is the one thing I don't completely understand...

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Okay, don't quote me on this one, but to participate, you have to be actively enrolled in a college course someway, somehow (obviously:laughing: ). While you are there, you don't have to take any classes if you don't want to, it's just like taking a semester off from school. I think people still take online classes or whatever from their university because either they have a scholarship that requires it or they don't want to get behind on their graduation date. So say you were doing spring, you would just finish your Fall semester classes and then head to Disney!

Does anyone know when applications for spring will go up? Last year they went up in early September but the year before that, when I applied for spring 2011, they went up in August. I know they were redoing the site and everything last year (it was down for quite a while) and I'm wondering if that was why applications were delayed or if they'll be going up in September now.

I applied! Passed the web-based interview and just scheduled my phone interview! I'm so nervous!

Thanks Spo0nfulofSugar! That definitely answered my question~ :)

Does anyone know when applications for spring will go up?
They will most likely be up around late August or early September. Just keep an eye on the Disney College Program Twitter, Facebook, and the site as well.

I applied! Passed the web-based interview and just scheduled my phone interview! I'm so nervous!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm sure you are nervous, but no need to be. Just make sure to read up and practice with confidence. Also, a few suggested resources that you should look at before having your interview:

Seizing Your Calling: Preparing for Your Phone Interview
Tricky CP interview questions

Just remember to smile and have fun with it! :) Best of luck, and as always if you have any questions this is the place for them.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm sure you are nervous, but no need to be. Just make sure to read up and practice with confidence. Also, a few suggested resources that you should look at before having your interview:

[URL=" Your Calling: Preparing for Your Phone Interview[/URL]
[URL=" CP interview questions[/URL]

Just remember to smile and have fun with it! :) Best of luck, and as always if you have any questions this is the place for them.

Thank you!!! :D
And thank you so much for those links!

Yeah, I think the best thing to do is just relax. But that's easier said than done! :laughing:

Oh! So I have a question... how long are you in the classrooms... and when does the "on-the-job training" start?

For example, are you in a classroom for a month, then "on-the-job training" for the rest of the program?
Or is it like class one day and "on-the-job training" the next day, then class again, etc.?
Or does it depend on what role you pick? (Some of the roles I picked are food prep, custodial, quick service)

Hopefully someone knows what I'm asking :laughing:

Oh! So I have a question... how long are you in the classrooms... and when does the "on-the-job training" start?

For example, are you in a classroom for a month, then "on-the-job training" for the rest of the program?
Or is it like class one day and "on-the-job training" the next day, then class again, etc.?
Or does it depend on what role you pick? (Some of the roles I picked are food prep, custodial, quick service)

Hopefully someone knows what I'm asking :laughing:

Do you mean if you take a class that Disney offers? Because if that's it, first you take Traditions, which everyone takes, then you get trained for your role, then you start working. If you choose to take classes, they meet at different times during the week and Disney knows that you're a student and will schedule you for less hours.

Does that help?

Do you mean if you take a class that Disney offers? Because if that's it, first you take Traditions, which everyone takes, then you get trained for your role, then you start working. If you choose to take classes, they meet at different times during the week and Disney knows that you're a student and will schedule you for less hours.

Does that help?
Yes, I meant the Disney classes! (Sorry for not being clear). Do they have more than one Traditions class? "More than one" as in (for example) one class on Monday and one class on Friday.

I only ask because there's a class I want to take (at my college, not DCP) that is on Tuesday... and I've been waiting a year to take it (due to the budget cuts they've put some classes on a rotating schedule).

I signed up to go May-Jan at Walt Disney World and they have told me they are still checking my qualifications twice! :sad2: what does this mean?? please help! :)

I signed up to go May-Jan at Walt Disney World and they have told me they are still checking my qualifications twice! :sad2: what does this mean?? please help! :)

Did it mention the word pending? Something like... Your app is pending final decision? And that they'd let you know by April? Anyway it sounds like you're penned. A lot of people are. It just means that theyre taking a little bit longer to make a decision. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!

Hello all,

I’m Patrick, and I’m currently 62 days away from my high school graduation. I plan on attending the University of Alabama next year.

I have a couple of questions about the Disney College Program, and I figured that this thread would be the best place to ask them.

1. Does anyone here know how UA treats the Disney College Program?

2. Is it better to participate in the Disney College Program your freshman or sophomore year? Part of me really wants to jump head first and apply for Spring 2013 (when the applications come out, that is), but the other part of me knows it would be better to get a solid foundation at the University prior to taking an internship. Any advice here would be appreciated.

3. Is there any major which the Disney College Program would not really fit into?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

I have a question. My daughter will be a college freshman in the Fall and is going to play soccer at her school.She has some scholarship money for that along with some grants through the school. The grants state she must go to school full time to be be eligible. I am assuming if she does the internship in the Spring she would not be taking classes but what if she takes classes in the summer when she gets back? I suppose that is something she would need to ask at the school?

Also, she is going into criminal justice and I did find something about Security Professional Development Study. Anyone know what that is/means?

thanks!

1. Does anyone here know how UA treats the Disney College Program?

2. Is it better to participate in the Disney College Program your freshman or sophomore year? Part of me really wants to jump head first and apply for Spring 2013 (when the applications come out, that is), but the other part of me knows it would be better to get a solid foundation at the University prior to taking an internship. Any advice here would be appreciated.

3. Is there any major which the Disney College Program would not really fit into?
Hey Patrick, welcome! You have definitely come to the right place for answers!

1. The Disney College Program is handled differently at most schools, and varies on a school basis and criteria. The best way to get answer is to talk to an academic advisor and/or your school’s internship office or career center at the University. They should be able to give you a definitive answer if they have gone through the process before.

2. One specific requirement is that you must have finished at least one semester of your Freshman year of College, as you must be enrolled in school to enroll in the College Program. My suggestion would be to wait until your Sophomore or Junior year to apply, but it's up to you!

3. You can make the College Program 'fit' for almost any major as it's all about getting out and getting experience. It's more of a "Is this a good fit for me?" situation.

Best of luck!
I have a question. My daughter will be a college freshman in the Fall and is going to play soccer at her school.She has some scholarship money for that along with some grants through the school. The grants state she must go to school full time to be be eligible. I am assuming if she does the internship in the Spring she would not be taking classes but what if she takes classes in the summer when she gets back? I suppose that is something she would need to ask at the school?

Also, she is going into criminal justice and I did find something about Security Professional Development Study. Anyone know what that is/means?

thanks!
The grants question concerning her full-time enrollment would need to be addressed to the school in question. Depending on how the school considers the College Program, she may be able to get by. College semesters are typically counted as Spring and Fall, so she would technically be missing the Spring semester.

Take a look at the Course Syllabi page on the College Program site. Professional Development studies are listed near the bottom, which include Engineering, Finance, Entertainment Show Production, and Security. There is also a brief snippet as to what the Professional Development studies entail. Also, take a look at the Security Professional Development Studies Course Syllabi for the class as it gives exact specifics on the course.

Hey Patrick, welcome! You have definitely come to the right place for answers!

1. The Disney College Program is handled differently at most schools, and varies on a school basis and criteria. The best way to get answer is to talk to an academic advisor and/or your school’s internship office or career center at the University. They should be able to give you a definitive answer if they have gone through the process before.

2. One specific requirement is that you must have finished at least one semester of your Freshman year of College, as you must be enrolled in school to enroll in the College Program. My suggestion would be to wait until your Sophomore or Junior year to apply, but it's up to you!

3. You can make the College Program 'fit' for almost any major as it's all about getting out and getting experience. It's more of a "Is this a good fit for me?" situation.

Best of luck! (Thanks!)

Thank you so much for your answers so far, I’m just beginning this process and the DCP website is not the...uh...most helpful thing in the world. If I have any more questions, I know where to ask them!

Did it mention the word pending? Something like... Your app is pending final decision? And that they'd let you know by April? Anyway it sounds like you're penned. A lot of people are. It just means that theyre taking a little bit longer to make a decision. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck!

yes it did! it said it is still pending a final decision, and i should know by april 25th. so your saying that this is not a bad thing?? :confused3

yes it did! it said it is still pending a final decision, and i should know by april 25th. so your saying that this is not a bad thing?? :confused3

Yup. It just means they haven't decided. It isn't good or bad, and it doesn't mean you'll be denied... Although it doesn't mean you'll be accepted either. Just that they need more time. There's a lot of theories on why people get pended. There's a couple posts on here that have been made within the last few days/weeks about being pended. You're not alone! And it's definitely better than getting an immediate rejection.

There's a couple recent threads about being pended:

This one has some info, and I think I remember seeing more in a different thread... The general fall one maybe?

And here's a thread from the official DCP blog about what it means to be pended.

No, I have not had a mock interview with a recruiter, nor have I had any worries passing the Web-based interview. It's all about positivity, happiness, as well as presence and being open to opportunities.

I'm no professional but if you want some practice questions for advice I would happily help out.

There is always the opportunity to apply for next semester, don't give up hope! :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of pending. I can tell you for a fact that you aren't the only one pending. Hang in there... you will make it. Stay positive and remember that it's all temporary.

There is always the possibility of hearing back early...

Thanks I would appreciate that so much!! I need all the practice i can get in the next 5 months.

Yes, I meant the Disney classes! (Sorry for not being clear). Do they have more than one Traditions class? "More than one" as in (for example) one class on Monday and one class on Friday.

I only ask because there's a class I want to take (at my college, not DCP) that is on Tuesday... and I've been waiting a year to take it (due to the budget cuts they've put some classes on a rotating schedule).

Traditions is like, welcome to Disney, here's how to work here kind of class. I think it's three days, like a Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday kind of thing, but the dates and days of the week are different depending on when your checkin date is, I think. As long as you can make sure your schedule is free for Tuesdays during that class, I would say you're good to go! Have fun!

Hey so I haven't been on here in forever but I have a couple quick questions. I finished my program in fall 10 and I just applied on sat for fall 12 and I have my phone interview fri. Since I am an alumni do they look at me any differently? And I know I applied super late and I only applied for 2 roles does anybody know of someone getting a role applying this late like attractions?
Thanks,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter