Call to boycott Peter Rabbit

Screen-Shot-2017-12-18-at-12.08.24-PM-540x313.png

We will destroy Peter, and then all of the rabbits will bow down to The McGregor Order!
:rotfl2::rotfl:

I've been following this thread and had a whole response typed out, then deleted it, because a) it didn't come out quite right, and b) I keep changing my mind about how I feel.

I grew up with Tom and Jerry and Wile E. Coyote, and have always thought I was firmly in the "it's just a cartoon" camp about these things.

I also agree that we can't get rid of everything that might might offend anyone, or we'd have nothing left!

But, somehow, this one still doesn't feel quite right to me.

I work with little kids. And they imitate stuff - a lot. (They're actually supposed to. It's how they learn.) But imitating a cartoon usually involves a lot of pretend. They don't actually have access to superhero weapons and Acme TNT and magical ice powers. But they do have lunch boxes full of food every day. And they don't always think before they act. And there's a very real possibility that I could be on lunch duty someday, stopping a food fight - not because it's bad behavior, but because it's a real emergency.

I'm not saying I agree with the boycott. We can't sanitize the world. But I do think it must be really hard for parents of kids with allergies to send them out there everyday. And if all of a sudden, I realized I had one more thing to worry about, I might over-react too.

I think we just live an easily outraged society.

I can say something as innocuous as I like rainbows and then be harassed because I'm being unfair to the color blind or being attacked by anti-gay people for supporting rainbows.

Don't kids watch the Simpsons and see Itchy and Scratchy try to kill each other?

If anything, boycott this stupid movie for ruining the story of Peter Rabbit.

Don't kids watch the Simpsons and see Itchy and Scratchy try to kill each other?

If anything, boycott this stupid movie for ruining the story of Peter Rabbit.

Tom and Jerry? That's ALL about abuse!

And before you start spewing on about cartoons like the Teletubbies teaching children nonsense, please remember the Flower Pot Men!

But for someone raised on Beatrix Potter, I will be very interested in the film... I may be enchanted, I may be infuriated... but I will only know when I see it.

How about Snow White and the Queen with the poison apple?? Teachers beware if a student gives you an apple! ;) :rolleyes:

Tom and Jerry? That's ALL about abuse!

And before you start spewing on about cartoons like the Teletubbies teaching children nonsense, please remember the Flower Pot Men!

But for someone raised on Beatrix Potter, I will be very interested in the film... I may be enchanted, I may be infuriated... but I will only know when I see it.

AAAHH but will you be...................OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man, I have a kid with a stinging insect allergy. I can't believe I missed a chance to be offended by the Bee Movie

well keep your eyes peeled I am sure we can find you something to be offended about. :cool1::cool1: Hey wait a minute, I can't dance so these emojis offend me. I demand everyone boycott them.

My kids and I saw it over the weekend. We really enjoyed it. It was a nice family movie and it was funny. I thought it was really well done. I left the theater kind of wondering what Beatrix Potter would have thought many decades ago if she had known that her characters would end up on the big screen!

Re: boycotting the movie -
Well, on the one hand, everyone has every right to go or not go to whatever movie they want.

On the other hand -
GIVE ME A BREAK! It's a comedy family movie. Nobody is calling to boycott the movie in support of PETA or anything like that since Mr. McGregor uses EXPLOSIVES to try and KILL, MURDER, AND MAIM the local wildlife.

Before somebody goes and gets all up in arms, they should actually go and WATCH the blackberry scene and decide for themselves. And if a 1 min scene in a movie is enough to send you running to the hills, then you really do need a safe space from the world I suppose. The whole scene was kind of funny, actually. Mr. McGregor gets a berry thrown into his mouth by 1 of the rabbits, he starts to flail around, gets out his epi pen, stabs himself in the leg...and at this point, he is kind of kneeling on the ground while doing it. Then the epi pen magically kicks in and he springs back to life and goes IMMEDIATELY back into "KILL THE RABBITS" mode as if nothing has happened.

Was there a trip to the ER? No.
Did he call the paramedics? No.
Did he stop to collect himself before going back into "KILL THE RABBITS!" mode? No.

It's a FANTASY movie about ANIMALS THAT TALK! Get a GRIP!:stir::badpc::mic::mic::mic::mic::mic::mic::rotfl2:

Wait... so this was self defense by food allergy?

I wonder what these advocacy groups would consider acceptable self defense for rabbits.

Perhaps there should be school focus groups set up (and perhaps a government study) to contemplate socially acceptable rabbit self defense methods.

I am going to play Devils advocate here...

For everyone saying it’s just a movie, stop being offended, would you be ok if instead of feeding the human something that could kill him it was a dog that they fed chocolate to?

I’m guessing the outrage would be 100% flipped.

well keep your eyes peeled I am sure we can find you something to be offended about. :cool1::cool1: Hey wait a minute, I can't dance so these emojis offend me. I demand everyone boycott them.

But can you whistle? If you can whistle, you can only be halfway offended by it. This :dancer: emoji gives you a double whammy. You can't dance & you aren't a man. I really think the two things combined would warrant a campaign against the DISboards & any other site that uses it. Get your letter started now! You can count on my signature. We're here for you. :hug:

:p

I am going to play Devils advocate here...

For everyone saying it’s just a movie, stop being offended, would you be ok if instead of feeding the human something that could kill him it was a dog that they fed chocolate to?

I’m guessing the outrage would be 100% flipped.

Ok,do you really know how much chocolate it takes to kill a dog ? Look it up.

And it is an animated movie about a talking rabbit !!!!!!!!!!

But can you whistle? If you can whistle, you can only be halfway offended by it. This :dancer: emoji gives you a double whammy. You can't dance & you aren't a man. I really think the two things combined would warrant a campaign against the DISboards & any other site that uses it. Get your letter started now! You can count on my signature. We're here for you. :hug:

:p

Thank you and I will be starting a Gofundme page to reduce the amount of dancing in public spaces.

Ok,do you really know how much chocolate it takes to kill a dog ? Look it up.

And it is an animated movie about a talking rabbit !!!!!!!!!!

I agree that it’s an animated movie. I said upthread that I wasn’t offended, and I have an anaphylactic allergy to tree nuts.

Are you ok if a movie showed a cartoon rabbit feeding a cartoon dog chocolate? Question stays the same.

I don’t know how much it takes but I had one bite of a brownie with walnuts in it and I was rushed to the hospital. I probably didn’t have more than a few crumbs, but that’s all it takes for me. It doesn’t matter the amount, it’s the intent.

I agree that it’s an animated movie. I said upthread that I wasn’t offended, and I have an anaphylactic allergy to tree nuts.

Are you ok if a movie showed a cartoon rabbit feeding a cartoon dog chocolate? Question stays the same.

I don’t know how much it takes but I had one bite of a brownie with walnuts in it and I was rushed to the hospital. I probably didn’t have more than a few crumbs, but that’s all it takes for me. It doesn’t matter the amount, it’s the intent.
They drop anvils on animals in cartoons.

I don't see it as any different simply because they use food.

Exactly!!! My thought was...sure I'll boycott it but because there is nothing beautifully Beatrix Potter about it!!!

That was my initial reaction too.

But then I got to thinking about it. And thinking about the kids making "bombs" out of snow and using their fingers to "shoot" one another on the playground and in the lunch room, and about all the crazy "extreme sports" stunts (usually YouTube inspired) we have to shut down. And I realized I actually can see where the allergy-as-attack comedy might be a bad idea because unlike Wiley Coyote stunts there's at least some potential for mimicry to be genuinely harmful in this case. So maybe my knee-jerk reaction isn't quite all there is to it. I'm not sure.

I stand by my feeling that the ridiculousness of that movie is an affront to the beauty of the original Peter Rabbit stories, though. And my kids won't be seeing it for that reason, not because of the specific means of attempted homicide depicted in the movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter