Call to boycott Peter Rabbit

I've been following this thread and had a whole response typed out, then deleted it, because a) it didn't come out quite right, and b) I keep changing my mind about how I feel.

I grew up with Tom and Jerry and Wile E. Coyote, and have always thought I was firmly in the "it's just a cartoon" camp about these things.

I also agree that we can't get rid of everything that
I agree that it’s an animated movie. I said upthread that I wasn’t offended, and I have an anaphylactic allergy to tree nuts.

Are you ok if a movie showed a cartoon rabbit feeding a cartoon dog chocolate? Question stays the same.

I don’t know how much it takes but I had one bite of a brownie with walnuts in it and I was rushed to the hospital. I probably didn’t have more than a few crumbs, but that’s all it takes for me. It doesn’t matter the amount, it’s the intent.

How about Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd? EF was always trying to shoot him. Cartoons aren't the problem. Those of us who watched these cartoons growing up didn't become murderers. In many of these cases parenting is a major problem, although it isn't the only problem. Watching cartoons & family friendly movies definitely isn't the problem.

SHHH, be vewy vewy quiet. We are hunting wabbits!!!

And as far as dogs & chocolate it takes pound of chocolate to kill a 20lb dog.

I saw the movie and I have several anaphylactic food allergies.
Earlier in the movie before the BlackBerry scene, Mr McGregor says he's allergic to blackberries while Peter is listening. Then Peter is talking about how ridiculous it sounds to be allergic to blackberries or something like that. Then he actually turns to the camera at one point when he's talking about it and say something like "I wouldn't want to offend anyone and get letters". It's like they knew ppl might get all up in arms about it.
The movie was kind of like Home Alone, but with rabbits. They are literally trying to hurt each other. Kids could imitate any of the behaviors in it and end up injured....just like everyone is saying about all the old cartoons.

Last edited:
I saw the movie and I have several anaphylactic food allergies. Earlier in the movie before the BlackBerry scene, Mr McGregor says he's allergic to blackberries while Peter is listening. Then Peter is talking about how ridiculous it sounds to be allergic to blackberries or something like that. Then he actually turns to the camera at one point when he's talking about it and say something like "I wouldn't want to offend anyone and get letters". It's like they knew ppl might get all up in arms about it.
The movie was kind of like Home Alone, but with rabbits. They are literally trying to hurt each other. Kids could imitate any of the behaviors in it and end up injured....just like everyone is saying about all the old cartoons.

I am sure they did because some idiot will be offended. Hey watch your kids and they won't take a Three Stooges hammer to their siblings head.

My kid loved Fast & Furious, at no point did he try to steal a muscle car. Common sense has left the building.

Don't blame a movie for your child's behavior. Parent your children.

How do we know this dancer indeed is a man? Some women like to wear suits and some men like using the ladies room. You really can't tell any more unless you check to see if there's a man on 3rd base. And that would offend him.

Well, women don't usually look that ridiculous, when they dance, but I guess it's possible. :p

Oh great, now someone is going to be offended & call me sexist & it's all your fault. :sad2:

:rotfl:

I am going to play Devils advocate here...

For everyone saying it’s just a movie, stop being offended, would you be ok if instead of feeding the human something that could kill him it was a dog that they fed chocolate to?

I’m guessing the outrage would be 100% flipped.

Considering that no one seems to care that he was trying to KILL THE RABBITS, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

We saw the movie this morning. I am not one to be easily offended (I'm about the most unPC of my friends) and I don't think I even know anyone with life threatening allergies and I was still slightly appalled by the allergy related scenes in this movie. I just don't understand why they needed to be included. That being said, we didn't think the movie was even that good. DD almost 3 and DD7 both wanted to leave before it was over, DD9 said she doesn't need to see it again.

DD has a peanut allergy, but we still plan to see the film when it comes out on dvd. I talked to her about the scene, and asked her if it would be scary for her, since she had an anaphylactic reaction over the summer. She said it would not be scary and she still wants to watch the movie.

As a parent to an allergy kid, I'm glad to know about the scene ahead of time, so I can prepare her for it, but I see no need to be offended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter