• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Call to boycott Peter Rabbit

LOL The blackberry scene was actually pretty funny. It's a movie about talking animals (wearing clothes) who are fighting back against a crazy guy trying to kill them so....yeah...I'm going to say it's totally acceptable. You know, because it's a freaking movie!

It was actually a really cute movie, too. Didn't appeal to me but the kids wanted to see it. I enjoyed it way more than I expected.

Last edited:
I can definitely see why a scene like this might hit a nerve with parents who have a child with a severe or life threatening allergy.

Not directed at you just a general rant LOL!

There are movies/tv shows that hit a nerve with me for various reasons. I don't get all butt hurt and call for a boycott. Over the top SJW reaction & gotta say I am getting so sick of it. Not everything is unicorn farts & fairy dust.

Ok now I am offended by Sony giving in to this ridiculousness. BOYCOTT SONY!! Well until they apologize to me for their apology.

It's an animated film about a talking rabbit - stop it!!

Last edited:

OK, tell me if understand this right - if the bunnies had taken after him with a knife or a gun or even a stick of dynomite, no problem. But we're having this discussion because the idea of purposely triggering a food allergy makes kids with actual allergies feel threatened? :sad2: Completely and utterly ridiculous. Go ahead and boycott - more popcorn for the rest of us.

Yeah, I just don’t get it.

One sentence states that they were trying to kill him and that he had to use an epipen. But then a few sentences later it says that the film was making light of allergies and implying that they are made up. It really has to be one or the other. You wouldn’t use something that’s “all in his head” as a potential murder weapon.

OK, tell me if understand this right - if the bunnies had taken after him with a knife or a gun or even a stick of dynomite, no problem. But we're having this discussion because the idea of purposely triggering a food allergy makes kids with actual allergies feel threatened? :sad2: Completely and utterly ridiculous. Go ahead and boycott - more popcorn for the rest of us.

In my mind, I'm picturing Home Alone.

I'm also not understanding how it is "bullying" versus specifically fighting him with his known weakness.

My children all know that they shouldn't shove peanut butter in someone's face just like they know they shouldn't light someone on fire or stab them.

My kids and I saw it over the weekend. We really enjoyed it. It was a nice family movie and it was funny. I thought it was really well done. I left the theater kind of wondering what Beatrix Potter would have thought many decades ago if she had known that her characters would end up on the big screen!

Re: boycotting the movie -
Well, on the one hand, everyone has every right to go or not go to whatever movie they want.

On the other hand -
GIVE ME A BREAK! It's a comedy family movie. Nobody is calling to boycott the movie in support of PETA or anything like that since Mr. McGregor uses EXPLOSIVES to try and KILL, MURDER, AND MAIM the local wildlife.

Before somebody goes and gets all up in arms, they should actually go and WATCH the blackberry scene and decide for themselves. And if a 1 min scene in a movie is enough to send you running to the hills, then you really do need a safe space from the world I suppose. The whole scene was kind of funny, actually. Mr. McGregor gets a berry thrown into his mouth by 1 of the rabbits, he starts to flail around, gets out his epi pen, stabs himself in the leg...and at this point, he is kind of kneeling on the ground while doing it. Then the epi pen magically kicks in and he springs back to life and goes IMMEDIATELY back into "KILL THE RABBITS" mode as if nothing has happened.

Was there a trip to the ER? No.
Did he call the paramedics? No.
Did he stop to collect himself before going back into "KILL THE RABBITS!" mode? No.

It's a FANTASY movie about ANIMALS THAT TALK! Get a GRIP!:stir::badpc::mic::mic::mic::mic::mic::mic::rotfl2:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...rabbit-movie-over-food-allergy-bullying-scene

Food allergy advocacy groups are calling for a boycott of the new Peter Rabbit movie.

Organisations in the United States and Australia have slammed the reimagined live-action/animated take on Beatrix Potter's classic children's books for its portrayal of "food allergy bullying".

A scene in the movie which has upset community groups involves rabbits intentionally attacking a human with a food he is allergic to in order to provoke a reaction.

The overwhelming response prompted health executives to publicly slam the production company of the film, which stars James Corden, Domhnall Gleeson, Margot Robbie, Rose Byrne and Elizabeth Debicki. It is also slated to bring in about US25 million in box office sales in its opening weekend in the US according to website BoxOfficeMojo.

"The segment featured the intentional attack of the McGregor [Gleeson] character with the food he is allergic to – the implication being that the rabbits wanted to kill or harm McGregor with this method.

"The result is that McGregor experienced a severe allergic reaction, known as anaphylaxis, and treated himself with his epinephrine injection. Additionally, the segment makes light of the seriousness of food allergies and suggests that food allergies are 'made up for attention'," Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America president Kenneth Mendez wrote in an open letter to Sony Pictures.

"This isn't the first time that Sony Pictures Animation has used food allergies as a punchline in the plot of a kids' movie. Sony has misrepresented food allergies in The Smurfs and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs as well."
Australian group Global Anaphylaxis Awareness and Inclusivity (Globalaai) has since created a petition calling for Sony to apologise, saying the scene is socially irresponsible.

"This mocks the seriousness of allergic disease and is heartbreakingly disrespectful to the families of those that have lost loved ones to anaphylaxis," the petition, which has received more than 3000 signatures in three hours, reads.

"To spread a message that condones such victimising and dangerous behaviour amongst children is grossly offensive to worldwide viewers, especially those who live with severe allergic disease."

So what do you think: acceptable or irresponsible?

I think people need to get over themselves.

Peter Rabbit - a film synopsis for the modern fragile world

A twisted tale about some lonely and disturbed individuals. The cast of characters include:
  • Peter Rabbit - our supposed hero. But really he is a narcissistic and sociopathic first born child who makes everything all about him. Twists the facts around to his benefit and tells lies in order to convince others to do things for him. Devises complicated plots in order to try to harm or even kill poor Mr. McGregor. Takes credit for the death of senior Mr. McGregor and even brags about it.
  • Benjamin - a sorry individual who has so little self esteem that he willingly puts himself in harm's way countless times throughout the film in order to make the narcissist like him even more
  • Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail - triplet sisters who are so wrapped up in who is better than the others that they spend most of the time arguing about who is oldest and who is better. Like their older brother, they manipulate each other in order to get their way. Not having a strong father figure throughout their lives growing up must have done them in.
  • Mr. McGregor - anal retentive, rigid, cruel, and takes great pleasure in harming poor innocent animals. Probably also schizophrenic since he also hallucinates that the animals are talking to him. Manipulates and lies in order to try desperately to get into his next door neighbor's pants. Literally tries to blow up the rabbits and almost totally destroys his next door neighbor's home in the process, yet is so delusional that he thinks that by simply apologizing, that he still has a chance of getting some action with Bea.
  • Pig - if he doesn't have diabetes yet, he soon will and will end up on a TLC reality show later on in life.
  • Mrs Tiggy Winkle - also a glutton like the pig is. Ignores the safety or needs of others in order to gorge herself on peanut butter and impales almost every animal around her with her deadly swords which she carries on her back at all times with her. Clearly, she has mental problems since she brings deadly weapons with her all the time. There should be a ban against weaponry like that.
  • Bea - a total head case. A recluse. Lives by herself and actually thinks that most of her art work is actually good. Treats the local wildlife like they are people. Talks to them like they are actual human friends. Encourages the rabbits to engage in criminal activity against the next door neighbor's property. One could almost say that she's like the local gang lord and is waging a campaign of terror against new her next door neighbor.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-18-at-12.08.24-PM-540x313.png

We will destroy Peter, and then all of the rabbits will bow down to The McGregor Order!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter