Britney Spears asks court to end her father's conservatorship

I don't think there's so much shock that maybe that her money is being controlled, but that she seems to be functional enough on a daily basis. And being forced into using birth control is the really shocking thing.
Right which is why I said the degree and who is in charge. I would include financial in that too. The concept of financial control is hardly controversial but the way it is set up and the dollars others get for doing so are under a microscope.

He hasn't been the conservator of her person since 2019.
She attempted to remove him and allow the temporary one to become the permanent one a bit after he stepped down.

She's refused to work since 2018.
An article I read said the initial reason she didn't get back to performing was her father's health crisis he had and so her show that was supposed to start in 2019 was postponed (so she was supposed to work in 2019). If I follow the timeline it sounds like following her father stepping down due to his health issue and a temporary conservator assigned she requested to have her father removed and the temporary one become permanent and a judge has denied that. She is now saying she won't work until her request is granted. Perhaps there's another article out there that states she refused to work back in 2018 prior to her father stepping down in 2019 and having a temporary one assigned but it doesn't sound like she's refused since 2018.

The temporary one assigned is a professional conservator and has been allowed to be extended until September of this year. Britney seems to understand on some level she needs something, she's pleading with the legal system to allow someone else other than her father. She probably (and this part is my opinion) balking at conservatorship in itself due to just how much control her father has had on her and I can't really blame her on that. The concept of conservatorship is one where the scales can easily tip to abuse of power and inability to remove and that's something that is in the limelight right now. Although I feel John Oliver has touched on something like this in one of his shows (unrelated to Britney's case).

Celebrity men are under conservators...it just doesn't tend to be reported as much...here's a list of 5 famous current ones, 1/2 female and 1/2 male...

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/amanda-bynes-5-celebrities-conservatorships.html/
Are all of these California?
It also looks like these guys were way out of their primes when this happened. This is apples and oranges unless you have someone still able to fill stadiums whose mom can tell him who he can and can't talk to on the daily.
Randi Meisner born in 1961 and this happened in 2016
Brian Wilson born in 1942 and this happened in the 90's
Casey Casum was born in 1932 and this happened in 2013
Mickey Rooney was born in 1920 and this happened in 2011

I'm not a betting person but I'd take my chances that most people under 50 would be very unlikely to recognize these names.

Are all of these California?
It also looks like these guys were way out of their primes when this happened. This is apples and oranges unless you have someone still able to fill stadiums whose mom can tell him who he can and can't talk to on the daily.
Randi Meisner born in 1961 and this happened in 2016
Brian Wilson born in 1942 and this happened in the 90's
Casey Casum was born in 1932 and this happened in 2013
Mickey Rooney was born in 1920 and this happened in 2011

I'm not a betting person but I'd take my chances that most people under 50 would be very unlikely to recognize these names.

Yeah, c’mon... those are almost all elderly people and in half the cases the conservatorship was never contested - likely because it was necessary. You can’t compare stroke and dementia patients to a (relatively) vital 39yr old woman.

Conservatorships typically don't end because the people under the conservatorship generally don't get better. They're usually granted for people with dementia or developmental disabilities to the point where they can't care for themselves. So the situation is unique. Britney lives on her own and works. While I think she has some behaviors indicative of a mental health battle, I think she's of sound mind enough where a conservatorship would not be granted or required in her current state from the legal perspective.

I think the larger concern is the money side of it. She's gone most of her adult life without having to manage her wealth. She's diagnosed bipolar and I believe spending sprees can happen during bouts with mania. I don't know of any legal way she can be prevented from squandering her money without the conservatorship.
but why does it matter if she squanders her $ lots of celebrities do? I think setting up a trust for her kids so they'll always be taken of & pay off her house/cars & then let her be

That is not my understanding of the situation. My understanding is that she canceled her residency because of her dad’s health issues and that recently she has refused to work if he is not taken off as conservator. Do you have a link to show she has refused to work since 2018?

That is not my understanding of the situation. My understanding is that she canceled her residency because of her dad’s health issues and that recently she has refused to work if he is not taken off as conservator. Do you have a link to show she has refused to work since 2018?
Your understanding is probably right since I didn’t delve too far into it, only that she refuses to work now and the last time she worked was in 2019. In any case, she is not being forced to work now which was how you claimed that her father is abusing her.

He has stepped down as the conservator of her person and he has a 3rd party co-conservator for her finances. He can no longer make decisions alone. It’s a step in the right direction.

And with 80 million dollars, she shouldn't have to if she doesn't want to. She has worked since she was a child. Her family have lived off her back. If she wants to call a halt and get off the merry-go-round, that's her right. Or it should be. If you (and I mean everyone) had no say in where you worked, how you worked, and what sort of work you did, you'd want to 'refuse' as well. I happen to think she needs help with her money, but as long as she wants to give it all a rest career-wise I'm all for it.

Your understanding is probably right since I didn’t delve too far into it, only that she refuses to work now and the last time she worked was in 2019. In any case, she is not being forced to work now which was how you claimed that her father is abusing her.

He has stepped down as the conservator of her person and he has a 3rd party co-conservator for her finances. He can no longer make decisions alone. It’s a step in the right direction.

Yes, let’s just ignore the decade where he DID force her. It didn’t get any better until the 3rd party co-conservator was appointed, which just helps prove he was abusing and taking advantage of her. And he stepped down because he was accused of physically abusing Britney’s son and because of his own health issues, not in an effort to help her.

And just because there is a co-conservator doesn’t mean he isn’t still abusing her/the situation.

From her recent interview, she seemed 'off'. I think she does need assistance managing her affairs, just not her dad.

I thought she seemed incredibly nervous. She spoke fast and her voice shook like mine does when I’m speaking in front of people and my nerves are getting the best of me. Not “off” at all. Just incredibly nervous about addressing the court finally like this.

Trust me, as someone who worked closely with our CEO and board of directors and a board of trustees for our foundation, it did not matter who was put on the board or in charge of the board. They always did what my boss wanted 100% of the time. And I’ve seem the same in many other organizations. He may be officially removed but that in no way means he isn’t calling the shots to the people who count. Money corrupts and that’s the unfortunate reality. It’s entirely plausible this conservatorship is corrupted.

It’s well known the character of this man is terrible. I don’t doubt for one second that he is in this for the money and control.

Isn't that 3rd party some kind of shady group, I want to say that when the names popped up there was an unsavory slant with ties of some kind.

Also, wasn't the guy Britney was spending time with back when her father made moves to control her also in cameos of stories of the the destruction of others, I sort of think the same guy was also in paparazzi shots of Amanda Bynes, maybe other's? I don't remember the name just that is was odd the same person seemed to be the harbinger of bad fortune and ever on the scene.

The details are loose but I definitely remember thinking things were sketchy on the whole. I feel like I should have been paying more attention but really I only ever saw any of it while I was standing on line at the grocery store, the mags were like some kind of awful billboards:(

This case is a no-brainer. She should be released from her conservatorship. Half of the actors, singers, models & sports figures in America would be under conservatorship if drug/alcohol abuse, being bad with money, and/or poor judgment meant that you had to go under conservatorship.

And I never even liked/cared about Britney Spears. Not a fan. This case is just a no-brainer, from a civil liberties standpoint.

Last edited:
but why does it matter if she squanders her $ lots of celebrities do? I think setting up a trust for her kids so they'll always be taken of & pay off her house/cars & then let her be
I guess it doesn't matter, but who wants to see her do that? Again, I'm not saying the conservatorship should stay in place for that reason, but it would be nice if there was some middle ground that could allow a trusted advisor to manage her finances while lifting the other restrictions. She has her bipolar diagnosis working against her as well as the fact that she's never had to manage money in her adult life working against her, so it seems some transitional guidance would be warranted. I don't even think she could be legally compelled to set up a trust or pay off her bills once the conservatorship is lifted.

I guess it doesn't matter, but who wants to see her do that? Again, I'm not saying the conservatorship should stay in place for that reason, but it would be nice if there was some middle ground that could allow a trusted advisor to manage her finances while lifting the other restrictions. She has her bipolar diagnosis working against her as well as the fact that she's never had to manage money in her adult life working against her, so it seems some transitional guidance would be warranted. I don't even think she could be legally compelled to set up a trust or pay off her bills once the conservatorship is lifted.
I asked earlier in the thread but no one responded. Do you have a source for the bipolar diagnosis? I’m not being snarky, I really would like to read about it. I can only find speculation.

I asked earlier in the thread but no one responded. Do you have a source for the bipolar diagnosis? I’m not being snarky, I really would like to read about it. I can only find speculation.
It came out she had bipolar disorder back around 2007-2008 I believe. I didn't watch the "I Am Britney Jean" documentary, but these articles cite that she opens up about it there: Britney Spears Checks Into Mental Health Facility: Why It’s Normal (prevention.com) , Britney Spears opens up on bipolar disorder: 'I turn into a different person' - Independent.ie

The recent court documents also say she was forcibly on lithium, which is commonly used to treat bipolar disorder. I'm not sure what other reason she would take lithium.

It came out she had bipolar disorder back around 2007-2008 I believe. I didn't watch the "I Am Britney Jean" documentary, but these articles cite that she opens up about it there: Britney Spears Checks Into Mental Health Facility: Why It’s Normal (prevention.com) , Britney Spears opens up on bipolar disorder: 'I turn into a different person' - Independent.ie

The recent court documents also say she was forcibly on lithium, which is commonly used to treat bipolar disorder. I'm not sure what other reason she would take lithium.
Yeah, those are speculation off of a remark she made. One I’m sure many of us are guilty of making. She does not say she was diagnosed with it she was comparing her state of mind to it. Lithium is also prescribed for depression. I’m not saying she does or doesn’t have it but the media diagnosing her does more harm than good IMO. As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression it just doesn’t sit right with me when they do that. Mental health is an extremely personal thing.

Listening to her statement last week is telling. I seriously doubt she did herself any favors.

It’s not that anybody wants to see her to do that. The question is it legally allowed to stop her from doing that, at this time? And even if the protective side of us can see what’s likely coming if all restrictions are lifted, it doesn’t mean it isn’t her right to try. At the very least, the current set up is detrimental to her and needs to change.

And the bipolar disorder has never been confirmed. Just alluded to. I don’t know if she has it or not, but it’s probably best to stop claiming it as fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter