• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Britney Spears asks court to end her father's conservatorship

My understanding this ruling wasn't in response to Brittany's court appearance last week. The request to remove her father as co conservator was filed last year. Supposedly she still hasn't filed to remove the conservatorship.

Also the entire remote attendance program has ended in L.A. courts due to the illegal recording made during the proceedings.

She hasn't asked for a new attorney because she's not allowed to! A number of years ago, she petitioned the Court to allow her to choose the attorney assigned to represent her interests and the Court denied the request. The court appointed attorney, according to the last hearing, has never told Britney what she would need to do to end the conservatorship. It's unethical on his part, imo, and he should be sanctioned by the bar association. He's making much more off his client than his client is allowed to have in her own possession. It's wrong, full stop.

Court appointed attorneys don't make that much money. There is a set amount that can be charged per hour, recoverable against the estate or the government.

Court appointed attorneys don't make that much money. There is a set amount that can be charged per hour, recoverable against the estate or the government.
It depends on the situation. Some don’t make much and have to wait until the conclusion of an matter to be paid, others make their hourly rate and are paid monthly when they provide their invoices. It all depends on what is set up at the start of the appointment. Given that there is money in the trust, he is likely the latter case.

That's true when the person they represent doesn't have the money to pay. In this case, she has the money. I don't remember the amount, but it's in a number of articles how much he gets paid. And it's a lot.

That's true when the person they represent doesn't have the money to pay. In this case, she has the money. I don't remember the amount, but it's in a number of articles how much he gets paid. And it's a lot.

No, I think you might be confusing that with the conservator. It doesn't matter how much the estate is worth, the court appointed attorney gets paid a set amount per hour, out of the estate of the person who can afford it or by the government; all of this is subject to the court's oversight. Although, technically, the conservator's fees are billed per hour as well.

No, I think you might be confusing that with the conservator. It doesn't matter how much the estate is worth, the court appointed attorney gets paid a set amount per hour, out of the estate of the person who can afford it or by the government; all of this is subject to the court's oversight. Although, technically, the conservator's fees are billed per hour as well.
He is paid $475 an hour and was paid $373,000 in 2019z he has made over $3 million since 2008 when he was appointed. He’s not hurting for money..

He is paid $475 an hour and was paid $373,000 in 2019z he has made over $3 million since 2008 when he was appointed. He’s not hurting for money..

That's actually not an unusually high billable hour rate - in fact, for a lawyer doing celebrity work, it's probably in the lower range. Now, whether he needed to spend 1/3 of his year (785 hours) only billing for her work in 2019, who knows...

That's actually not an unusually high billable hour rate - in fact, for a lawyer doing celebrity work, it's probably in the lower range. Now, whether he needed to spend 1/3 of his year (785 hours) only billing for her work in 2019, who knows...
I am aware it is not an unusually high billing rate but the person I quoted had previously stated that court-appointed attorneys don't make much money. Even if 2/3 of his billing goes to overhead he is still making approximately $125,000 after he pays for office space, staffing insurance, bar fees etc.

I am aware it is not an unusually high billing rate but the person I quoted had previously stated that court-appointed attorneys don't make much money. Even if 2/3 of his billing goes to overhead he is still making approximately $125,000 after he pays for office space, staffing insurance, bar fees etc.

$125K for a lawyer working in that geographical area is not much money...

$125K for a lawyer working in that geographical area is not much money...
for 1/3 (approximately) of his billable time. Multiple by 3 and you get close to $400,000. Not rolls royce but not poor house money even in LA. As someone living in a similar cost of living area, its not a bad living.

for 1/3 (approximately) of his billable time. Multiple by 3 and you get close to $400,000. Not rolls royce but not poor house money even in LA. As someone living in a similar cost of living area, its not a bad living.

But, not getting rich, which was the original point...

And on that...I found the full transcript of her testimony for the interested. She does not only accuse her family of misdeeds, which may be why some have said this won't help her...https://www.thewrap.com/britney-spears-conservatorship-hearing-read-the-full-transcript/

In NY, court appointed attorneys only make $75/hour. The information I can find for CA, it appears that a typical court appointed attorney only makes $60/hour. This case is very different from that because Britney has money and is required to pay for the attorney the court appointed at the price the court determines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter