Another high school shooting, this time in MD

Those laws may have prevented an even greater tragedy.
We'll never know, of course, but I'm not so sure. I think that guns legal in MD were used at Columbine DURING the assault weapons ban.

Again -- we have to think beyond just the weapon to impact this.

Because we heard the Parkland students say so numerous times. I'l take the word of those who lived through it over anyone else.

Well one boy who heard the gunshots in this incident thanked God he wasn't shot, so I bet he and others like him have no problem with prayers being given to the victims and the others who were effected by this.

I was responding to the "more armed guards" and metal detectors. I have no objection to an SRO officer.
Gotcha'. I will say this: my daughter's school does have a metal detector. If you ask her why she feels safer in her school, she'd probably cite that first.

I was REALLY put off by it at first -- hated the feeling it gave me when I first visited. Now we don't think twice about it, and she finds it comforting.

I'm sure not everyone would agree, but in that WH listening session I posted on the last page some school reps talk about the metal detectors and how they feel about them. Worth watching, I think.

It's not an "armed camp" to have a highly trained resource officer onsite. That's silly.

Both my kids' schools have such personnel. They feel safer as a result.
My DD's high school had a police officer on site at all times with a police car parked outside the school. It was disconcerting for me to see the police car at first but then it just became old hat. The kids liked the SROs and they liked the kids. It was all OK, even tough neither my DD nor I felt any safer. In any case, it did not feel like an "armed camp"!

Well one boy who heard the gunshots in this incident thanked God he wasn't shot, so I bet he and others like him have no problem with prayers being given to the victims and the others who were effected by this.

Much different thanking whatever diety you believe in an you're the one impacted. But some stranger thousands of miles away sending this and prayers only comforts themselves. The point is, in case it isn't obvious. Actions speak larger than words.

I was responding to the "more armed guards" and metal detectors. I have no objection to an SRO officer.

Well, I don't want a guard at every door. But some high schools are just larger and more spread out than others. I think Parkland at 3500 (give or take) students, 40 acres and one SRO illustrates that what works in one location might not be right for others.

I agree and I am also glad that the SRO was right there and able to prevent a bigger massacre. My DD's high school had an SRO on staff full time and it was fine with me. I don't think I support metal detectors yet, but I'm open to considering them.
I haven't been a supporter of metal detectors previously, but am rethinking some of this recently. This is something I'd be willing to adjust my thinking on.

Much different thanking whatever diety you believe in an you're the one impacted. But some stranger thousands of miles away sending this and prayers only comforts themselves. The point is, in case it isn't obvious. Actions speak larger than words.

Forgive me if I don't feel your opinion on the matter means much since you aren't one the effected people being offered thoughts and prayers.

Speaking of actions, aren't you the one who is opposes to metal detector and armed guards? I can only wonder what action you want to see done.

Agree and disagree. My Uncle was murdered in a highly publicized case. I can tell you that it actually did provide great comfort to my Aunt and family to see prayer vigils and get letters from strangers with prayers.

That being said, just because a person sends thoughts and prayers doesn’t mean that is ALL they need to do. Actions do indeed speak louder than words and a person can pray and then push for action just as easily as a person can say prayers don’t work and then push for action.

Forgive me if I don't feel your opinion on the matter means much since you aren't one the effected people being offered thoughts and prayers.

Speaking of actions, aren't you the one who is opposes to metal detector and armed guards? I can only wonder what action you want to see done.

Since abide by the DIS rules, I can't say what action I would take, but user you're imagination. It had to do with cutting the problem off at the source.

And whether or not my opinion matters to you or not matters to me not one bit. So get off your high horse.

Last edited:
I agree and I am also glad that the SRO was right there and able to prevent a bigger massacre. My DD's high school had an SRO on staff full time and it was fine with me. I don't think I support metal detectors yet, but I'm open to considering them.
Or perhaps he was able to do more b/c he was equally armed. Ppl are commenting on MD’s strict laws as if it happened despite their laws, but perhaps, it wasn’t as bad as as it could have been b/c of their stricter laws.

Or perhaps he was able to do more b/c he was equally armed. Ppl are commenting on MD’s strict laws as if it happened despite their laws, but perhaps, it wasn’t as bad as as it could have been b/c of their stricter laws.
I absolutely get what you’re saying, and I’ve shared in other threads where I personally think we could think about laws.

That said, as I mentioned, the assault weapons ban was in place during Columbine, and guns legal in MD (I believe) we’re used there. 13 people were killed. I think the main difference here may well be the trained, proficient officer onsite who did not hesitate to perform his duty.

Last edited:
Since I años by the DIS rules, I can't say what action I would take, but user you're imagination. It had to do with cutting the problem off at the source.

And whether or not my opinion matters to you or not matters to me not one bit. So get off your high horse.

I think you are confused about who is up on that horse here, the air way up there must be affecting you.

So what’s that mean for the ones who were shot? Who do they thank?

Oh please. People offer thoughts and prayers as way to show support to people who have just been through a tragic ordeal and all you people want to make it mean so much more (or less than it does). We get it, you don't think it does anything and maybe for you it doesn't but newsflash you have no idea what it may mean to the actual recipients.
Do you question anyone that offers thoughts and prayers in any other situation, how about a cancer diagnosis, or a loss of a loved one?

The weapons used in Columbine were not banned at the time. You had to be 18 according to state law to purchase them, which Klebold and Harris were not. A friend purchased the guns for them. Both were 18 at the time of the shooting. At that time, the 9 mm Hi-Point carbine was not qualified as an assault weapon.

Yes, let's turn the schools into armed camps. So conducive to learning.

Because being worried about school shooting IS conducive to learning?

The Dad who lost his dd in the Florida shooting said it best but, first and foremost, make the schools SAFE. Whatever it takes. Once our kids are safe then we can continue fighting about guns and prayers and whatever else till the cows come home.

The weapons used in Columbine were not banned at the time. You had to be 18 according to state law to purchase them, which Klebold and Harris were not. A friend purchased the guns for them. Both were 18 at the time of the shooting. At that time, the 9 mm Hi-Point carbine was not qualified as an assault weapon.
Yes. My point being that banning certain weapons alone wouldn’t prevent school shootings. Honestly not sure if you’re posting this to refute or bolster that point, but wanted to clarify.

So sick and tired of this happening over and over.:sad: Only in America.

What is an SRO? Not familiar with the term.

Oh please. People offer thoughts and prayers as way to show support to people who have just been through a tragic ordeal and all you people want to make it mean so much more (or less than it does). We get it, you don't think it does anything and maybe for you it doesn't but newsflash you have no idea what it may mean to the actual recipients.
Do you question anyone that offers thoughts and prayers in any other situation, how about a cancer diagnosis, or a loss of a loved one?
Yep. Actually I do. Thoughts & prayers didn’t do anything when my dad was dying of cancer. To each his own, I get that it’s comforting for some. But, it felt like an empty gesture to me when that’s all ppl offered especially ppl who could have done or offered more (not that it really applies here). So, I try to offer things I think would be more meaningful. Only reason I commented at all though is b/c your “proof” that it was meaningful to some was that the boy thanked God. Personally, thought process always bugs me b/c what does that mean for those who weren’t so lucky?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter