Another high school shooting, this time in MD

There's also apparently an armed shooter being confronted at Princeton University right now. School is luckily not in session.

I am truthfully getting scared- obviously, my odds of being in a mass shooting event remain low obviously, but there are a lot of copy cats plotting right now.

In unrelated news, "guns don't kill people! PEOPLE kill people!"

I'm listening to the press conference now. The 16-year old girl is in the ICU with life threatening injuries. So sad that it's happened AGAIN. This kind of thing needs to STOP. Everyone in the press conference sounds very angry so maybe it finally will.

Thank goodness this SRO didn't hide outside. He apparently used to be a SWAT team member. What a difference that response seems to have made.

I wish we could get more armed security into our schools. I'd support metal detectors as well.

I'm listening to the press conference now. The 16-year old girl is in the ICU with life threatening injuries. So sad that it's happened AGAIN. This kind of thing needs to STOP. Everyone in the press conference sounds very angry so maybe it finally will.

Do they mention how he got the pistol? Wondering if he got it himself or if it belonged to his parent/s and left unsecured?

Do they mention how he got the pistol? Wondering if he got it himself or if it belonged to his parent/s and left unsecured?
No, they didn't. And it was a pistol and not a rifle. They also didn't say how much ammunition he had with him.

No, they didn't. And it was a pistol and not a rifle. They also didn't say how much ammunition he had with him.

I hope that if it turns out it belonged to one of his parents and it wasn't locked up that they are held responsible.

Thank goodness this SRO didn't hide outside. He apparently used to be a SWAT team member. What a difference that response seems to have made.

I wish we could get more armed security into our schools. I'd support metal detectors as well.
I agree and I am also glad that the SRO was right there and able to prevent a bigger massacre. My DD's high school had an SRO on staff full time and it was fine with me. I don't think I support metal detectors yet, but I'm open to considering them.

I hope that if it turns out it belonged to one of his parents and it wasn't locked up that they are held responsible.
I think that all owners of firearms should be responsible when they are used in a crime. Have parents who have owned the guns used in a school shooting been held responsible in the past? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. If so, would they be some sort of accessory to murder?

Yes, let's turn the schools into armed camps. So conducive to learning.

I long for us to think more broadly than just the weapon. We see a great example of why with these horrific bombings.

I'll just park this here -- it's not all about guns... so say these parents who lost children to school shootings...

Rachel’s Challenge: Created by Darrell Scott, father of Rachel Scott, killed at Columbine: http://rachelschallenge.org ("We must create a culture of connectedness"; says multiple programs they've developed help identify not just students with a propensity to violence, but they help prevent suicides and other self-destructive destructive behaviors among students; e.g. cutting.)

Sandy Hook Promise: https://www.sandyhookpromise.org

Intelligent, respectful dialogue and VARIED possible solutions: White House Listening Session 2/21/18:

I think that all owners of firearms should be responsible when they are used in a crime. Have parents who have owned the guns used in a school shooting been held responsible in the past? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. If so, would they be some sort of accessory to murder?

I can't say if they have or they haven't because I haven't really looked into it, but IMO they should.
I would think there could be a list of charges against them if someone uses their firearm in a murder.

On the topic of metal detectors, I am all for them. Our district is installing new safe vestibules in schools made of bullet proof glass. That is all well and good but if they have a gun hidden and then are let into the main hallway then start shooting there is no point.

It's not an "armed camp" to have a highly trained resource officer onsite. That's silly.

Both my kids' schools have such personnel. They feel safer as a result.

I was responding to the "more armed guards" and metal detectors. I have no objection to an SRO officer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter