All about the Autotrain

We are picky about the time we want dinner. We like the 7:00 seating. Checkin starts at 12:30, so we aim to be in line at noon. When we get to the window, we check in, and tell them we are going to park to check in and then go back out for lunch. Then I go in and checkin and get our boarding passes and dinner reservation. We then go out and get lunch and return around 2. Drop dead you have to check in by 3, which will get you 9:00 dinner if they are doing 3 seatings.

We go from Lancaster, PA. We are almost neighbors!
Yes! We love visiting Lancaster! Thanks for the information 😊

Ok, so my first trip on the AT is quickly approaching and I’m trying not to panic. I’m hoping someone can give me advice on tipping, mainly who and when.
I’m in a HA bedroom and will use the Amtrak wheelchair upon arrival. I’m hoping that my son will be allowed to push me to the waiting area and to the train when it’s time to board.
I have it requested to eat in my room so will I tip when they come to pick up our tray after we eat? Also, do I just tip the room attendant once at the end of the trip? Will I have an opportunity to hand it directly to him/her as I’m leaving or do k leave it in my room?
I just want to be prepared and have cash ready when needed. Thanks

Wow. First, I hope your trip is great.
I don’t have direct experience with the wheelchair, but can answer some of your questions.
There is no security leading up to boarding. So your sone could push you to the door. They tend to preboard wheelchairs, and there is a ramp they put up. Do you need to be in the wheelchair all the way to the room, and then transfer to your own at that point?

Is your some bringing a separate car and then leaving again, or how will he depart?

For meals, they will take your order and bring it to you. Personally, I would tip 10 for dinner and 5 or 10 for breakfast, and then slip the SCA (sleeping car attendant) a 20 as you depart. It will be your attendant who brings your meals.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL trip.

Wow. First, I hope your trip is great.
I don’t have direct experience with the wheelchair, but can answer some of your questions.
There is no security leading up to boarding. So your sone could push you to the door. They tend to preboard wheelchairs, and there is a ramp they put up. Do you need to be in the wheelchair all the way to the room, and then transfer to your own at that point?

Is your some bringing a separate car and then leaving again, or how will he depart?

For meals, they will take your order and bring it to you. Personally, I would tip 10 for dinner and 5 or 10 for breakfast, and then slip the SCA (sleeping car attendant) a 20 as you depart. It will be your attendant who brings your meals.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL trip.
Thanks! My son will be traveling with me so he will drive me and stay in the HA bedroom with me as well. I’m guessing I will get wheeled into my room then transfer to my seat. When I spoke to the Amtrak rep she said the room is small enough and has rails that I could leave my rollator in the car. I can stand and transfer myself into the seat. My only concern was getting from my seat to the restroom which is located in my room.
The tipping info is very helpful! Thank you!

Oh you will have the best time. When we stay on the lower level, we bring a microfiber window cleaning thing on an extendable handle and some windex and wash the window, lol. If your son will be eating with you I would definitely tip 10 for each meal. We always start with a wine and cheese party we bring on ourselves in a cooler. Bring an extension cord to plug in more chargers. Also a small roll of duct tape for any rattles. I bring my own pillow and a small throw, as sometimes it is chilly in the room. I bring my wine tumbler yeti with the lid to secure from spills. As you know make sure you have any meds. They have water bottles in the room. I bring a larger one as I drink lots of water. If your son wants a shower, there is a very nice one on the lower level steps away from your room. For breakfast, do not get the egg white sandwich. It is gummy and horrible.
Thanks! My son will be traveling with me so he will drive me and stay in the HA bedroom with me as well. I’m guessing I will get wheeled into my room then transfer to my seat. When I spoke to the Amtrak rep she said the room is small enough and has rails that I could leave my rollator in the car. I can stand and transfer myself into the seat. My only concern was getting from my seat to the restroom which is located in my room.
The tipping info is very helpful! Thank you!

Oh you will have the best time. When we stay on the lower level, we bring a microfiber window cleaning thing on an extendable handle and some windex and wash the window, lol. If your son will be eating with you I would definitely tip 10 for each meal. We always start with a wine and cheese party we bring on ourselves in a cooler. Bring an extension cord to plug in more chargers. Also a small roll of duct tape for any rattles. I bring my own pillow and a small throw, as sometimes it is chilly in the room. I bring my wine tumbler yeti with the lid to secure from spills. As you know make sure you have any meds. They have water bottles in the room. I bring a larger one as I drink lots of water. If your son wants a shower, there is a very nice one on the lower level steps away from your room. For breakfast, do not get the egg white sandwich. It is gummy and horrible.
Thank you for the great tips! I will definitely bring something such as a wrap or maybe a sweatshirt because I do get cold easily. I already planned to bring a tall refillable mug filled with ice. I drink tons of water so it’s good to know that have bottles in our room too. I’m not a big breakfast person so I’ll have no problem staying away from the egg sandwich. All I need is some coffee first thing and I’ll be good lol! Thanks again! 👋

Great tip on the duct tape! We’ve taken the train numerous times and occasionally get a bedroom with a divider that rattles. We’ll definitely add it to the packing list and try it out. Thank you!

Great tip on the duct tape! We’ve taken the train numerous times and occasionally get a bedroom with a divider that rattles. We’ll definitely add it to the packing list and try it out. Thank you!
Someone reminded me that duct tape can leave a residue, and gaffer's tape is also a good idea.
I forgot to say I also bring a couple of clips (big hair clips/claws) to hold the curtains closed.
I bring a small USB fan for my bed. I have one that when charged will run all night.

I invested in this awesome charging station for travel, which has a long cord, outlets and both A and C usb ports:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BSGH355C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be warned that the coffee on amtrak is pretty vile. There will be a pot on your car, which the SCA makes, and also coffee in the dining room, if you want to send your son to snag some. Breakfast has both a grab and go section with continental items and coffee/juice to go. There is also the sit-down side, which serves breakfast entrees, which you can get delivered to your room.

But because I am a Princess, I bring a travel french press coffee preloaded with my coffee for an overnight on the train:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011WU1L04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posted in the wrong place! intended for the turkey sandwich forum.
Sorry!

Last edited:
Further afield:
BOATHOUSE
YACHT CLUB” CLUB
$23.00
WITH KETTLE CHIPS Roasted Turkey Breast, Cucumber, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Chipotle Honey Mayo, Swiss Cheese, Multigrain Bread

Homecomin: (chicken not turkey) The Country Club​

Grilled chicken topped with white cheddar, pecan-smoked bacon, red jalapeño jelly, lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun. Served with house-made barbecue chips drizzled with icebox dressing
$20.00

Polite Pig
Smoked Turkey BLT

Sweet BBQ Bacon-onion Jam, Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato and Duke’s Mayo served with a Pickle Spear
$13.00

Centertown Market--Caribbean Beach

Smoked Turkey, Gouda, Barbecue Mayonnaise, and Crispy Slaw on soft Multigrain Bread Served Deli-style with choice of side
$10.29

Amare

Smoked Turkey, Gouda, Barbecue Mayonnaise, and Crispy Slaw on soft Multigrain Bread Served Deli-style with choice of side
$10.29
This is the autotrain thread. Maybe you were trying for the turkey sandwich thread?

Further afield:
BOATHOUSE
YACHT CLUB” CLUB
$23.00
WITH KETTLE CHIPS Roasted Turkey Breast, Cucumber, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Chipotle Honey Mayo, Swiss Cheese, Multigrain Bread

Homecomin: (chicken not turkey) The Country Club​

Grilled chicken topped with white cheddar, pecan-smoked bacon, red jalapeño jelly, lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun. Served with house-made barbecue chips drizzled with icebox dressing
$20.00

Polite Pig
Smoked Turkey BLT

Sweet BBQ Bacon-onion Jam, Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato and Duke’s Mayo served with a Pickle Spear
$13.00

Centertown Market--Caribbean Beach

$10.29

Amare

$10.29

I think this was meant for here! I had to chime in with my favorite, which is actually at the Contempo Cafe!

Hi. We are considering the Auto Train for our next trip. Earlier in this thread I saw mention of "bidding for an upgrade". What is that and how do you go about it? Thank you.

Hi. We are considering the Auto Train for our next trip. Earlier in this thread I saw mention of "bidding for an upgrade". What is that and how do you go about it? Thank you.
I've only done this after purchasing a coach seat but I assume it works the same way if you are trying to upgrade from a roomette.

After purchasing our coach tickets, we got an email from Amtrak saying that we could bid for an upgrade, which for us would be to a roomette or a full room. You go to the Amtrak site and tell them which upgrade you want and how much you are willing to pay for the upgrade. They have a minimum amount and some guidelines about whether they think your bid will be accepted. For instance, if you bid the minimum amount, they will tell you that your chances of being accepted are "poor." Bid more and your chances rise. Bids are accepted up to the day or two before you leave. You find out out if your bid was selected the day before you leave. If selected, you are automatically charged your bid amount. You don't get a chance to say "oh, never mind."

We've bid on the upgrade a few (3?) times and were only selected once. We lowball the bids (not the minimum but slightly above it) because we are willing to hang out in coach for the ride since there are only two of us. It was definitely cheaper than paying for the roomette outright and a nice last minute surprise.

Have any of you used dry ice in a cooler, kept in your vehicle during the trip? Amtrak's site says you can use it, but I'd like to hear if any of YOU have stored perishables using dry ice for the trip. thanks.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest