Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

I am a bit confused. Some are saying he was a bad guy before CTE and some are saying he wasn't in the NFL long enough for his CTE to be caused in the NFL. How do you know when he started having the symptoms and what was or wasn't caused by CTE?

Because we are so involved in pro wrestling, concussions are a huge concern. When DS first started there wasn't much said and then when Chris Benoit killed his family and himself, more started being said about it. The WWE doesn't seem to admit that was the cause of what happened to Benoit, but since that time it's something that they stay on top of with their people. Some are pulled from the ring due to having more than a certain number (one guy is a commentator now due to this) and they donate a huge amount of money to concussion research. If one gets a concussion they are pulled from the ring for what seems like an almost excesssive amount of time to heal.

Of course Dd and DS aren't at that level but even in the indies, they train to prevent getting or causing concussions.

I haven't had one in football in a very long time but I do know when Dd was visiting colleges, one of the schools was showing us the many things their students were studying and developing and one of those things was a helmet that would prevent concussions. Well I don't think it could 100% prevent but it's was to prevent a huge number.
As of right now, there is no helmet that prevents concussions.

The issue is inside the head when the brain hits the skull from an impact.

http://concussion.weillcornell.org/does-helmet-protect-me-against-concussion

I was reading some articles this morning.

I'm not sure if the lawsuit is related to the CTE issue. ETA I see that it does, but there is also this issue:

Because his conviction was nulled after he died because there had not been an appeal yet (a MA law), it may be that they're going after a settlement from his original contract, since he is now considered an innocent man, and the Patriots had stopped paying him once he was either arrested or convicted, not sure which.

Last edited:
As of right now, there is no helmet that prevents concussions.

The issue is inside the head when the brain hits the skull from an impact.

http://concussion.weillcornell.org/does-helmet-protect-me-against-concussion

Oh I know. The students were developing the helmet at the time of our visit and may still be. I didn't mean to say they were in use.

And I know how they occur. Again, due to being so involved in what my kids are a part of, we have seen quite a bit about it. And carefully monitor both of them during and after shows. DS has been checked many times for concussions. So far, so good. I am afraid a good friend of his has not been so lucky but he has done some crazy stuff in the ring over the many years he has been there.

I would never ever let my kid play football- to me it seems like they thrive on hurting each other- hitting/tackling each other as hard as they possibly can- I hate seeing football game on TV! One of our local "kids" made it to the pros and had CTE- brain of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher -- the 25-year-old player who shot and killed his girlfriend in 2012 before committing suicide -- showed signs of pervasive brain damage like that found in other deceased NFL ..

These were some interesting articles. (Yes, take them with a grain of salt as they are from the Daily Mail, but chances are good that tomorrow we'll be seeing the same information in MSM.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ndez-s-family-release-brain-test-results.html

I had not seen this info before:

"And earlier this week they released new research showing that football players who start practicing tackle football from at least age 12 have impaired emotions and behaviors later in life.

That followed previous research from the BU CTE Center that examined former professional players.

In those studies, the former NFL players who started tackle football prior to age 12 had worse memory and mental flexibility, as well as structural brain changes on MRI scans, compared to former players who began at age 12 or older."

This one speculates about when damage might've been done in Hernandez's case:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4908964/Did-Aaron-Hernandez-effects-CTE-NFL.html

I'm visiting Mom in Central MA now. I can't wait to see how the local news is reacting. I wonder if the reason they're going after the Patriots and NFL=deep pockets.
Of course the deep pockets are why they are going after the nfl and the Patriots. He was young and just starting his nfl career when he was charged with the murder of Odin Llyod. It's being reported here that he had one concussion while playing for the Pats and he didn't miss any games because of it. If it were about anything but money, they'd be looking at what happened during his time in Florida.

I would never ever let my kid play football- to me it seems like they thrive on hurting each other- hitting/tackling each other as hard as they possibly can- I hate seeing football game on TV! One of our local "kids" made it to the pros and had CTE- brain of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher -- the 25-year-old player who shot and killed his girlfriend in 2012 before committing suicide -- showed signs of pervasive brain damage like that found in other deceased NFL ..

And this is exactly where football winds up getting a bad rap, undeservedly. No offense, but you obviously don't know much about it. Yes, football is a violent contact sport. But it has been since it was invented. So is hockey, boxing, lacrosse, wrestling and many other sports. Even soccer is just as violent to a persons' head as football is, if not more. No, they do not thrive on hurting each other in football, that's silly to even say. Do they hit hard? Yes, very much so. Both of my boys have been hit hard, and DS10 hits like a freight train...he's caused many running backs and quarterbacks to cry. But trying to hurt them? No.

There is NO way you can definitively say Jovan Belchers' murder had anything to do with CTE. People just read those headlines and jump right to conclusions. Very possible he did a murder/suicide for any other number of reasons. Murder happens in the US an incredible amount...from all walks of life, including NFL players. It's insane that as soon as a player dies, if they ever did something bad and they're found to have CTE that a "link" is automatically drawn.

Since CTE can't be diagnosed until after death, there's no way to prove causal relationships one way or another. However, another thing that strikes me as silly is the sudden attention to it and now treating football like it's the plague. People say now "Oh, I'd never let my kid play", because of all the spotlight on CTE in the past 4 or 5 years. But ask those same parents 20 or 30 years ago, and I'd bet they would have had a different answer. In fact, I'd argue the game was more dangerous then. Back then, it was encouraged to use your head. Protective gear was nowhere near what it is today. You got a concussion during the game? They literally gave you smelling salts and put you back on the field. Yet, there wasn't as much of an epidemic of players committing murder, suicide or other such things as there is now. So what has changed...besides public focus? The game is far safer now than it used to be. I'm not arguing that head trauma (football or otherwise) can't or doesn't cause CTE. But I just strongly disagree with the sudden knee jerk reaction and finger pointing at football. It makes zero sense.

Last edited:
And this is exactly where football winds up getting a bad rap, undeservedly. No offense, but you obviously don't know much about it. Yes, football is a violent contact sport. But it has been since it was invented. So is hockey, boxing, lacrosse, wrestling and many other sports. Even soccer is just as violent to a persons' head as football is, if not more. No, they do not thrive on hurting each other in football, that's silly to even say. Do they hit hard? Yes, very much so. Both of my boys have been hit hard, and DS10 hits like a freight train...he's caused many running backs and quarterbacks to cry. But trying to hurt them? No.

There is NO way you can definitively say Jovan Belchers' murder had anything to do with CTE. People just read those headlines and jump right to conclusions. Very possible he did a murder/suicide for any other number of reasons. Murder happens in the US an incredible amount...from all walks of life, including NFL players. It's insane that as soon as a player dies, if they ever did something bad and they're found to have CTE that a "link" is automatically drawn.

Since CTE can't be diagnosed until after death, there's no way to prove causal relationships one way or another. However, another thing that strikes me as silly is the sudden attention to it and now treating football like it's the plague. People say now "Oh, I'd never let my kid play", because of all the spotlight on CTE in the past 4 or 5 years. But ask those same parents 20 or 30 years ago, and I'd bet they would have had a different answer. In fact, I'd argue the game was more dangerous then. Back then, it was encouraged to use your head. Protective gear was nowhere near what it is today. You got a concussion during the game? They literally gave you smelling salts and put you back on the field. Yet, there wasn't as much of an epidemic of players committing murder, suicide or other such things as there is now. So what has changed...besides public focus? The game is far safer now than it used to be. I'm not arguing that head trauma (football or otherwise) can't or doesn't cause CTE. But I just strongly disagree with the sudden knee jerk reaction and finger pointing at football. It makes zero sense.
This is a very good point. Players were taking harder hits with less protection. CTE had to have been happening, but we weren't seeing these kinds of violent acts.

There was something seriously wrong with his brain long before he starting playing football.

But that's how brain damage often works... It doesn't necessarily *create* the violent tendencies, but it does destroy the impulse-control mechanisms that kept the person's worst impulses in check.

I was replying to the PP who said people are still being encouraged to play. It's possible kids could be forced to play, but I don't think anyone in college or pro football is being forced. That's my argument. I think anyone who is playing pro football now made a conscience decision to play knowing the risk.

I don't know. My son is 19 and CTE and concussion awareness/protocols really weren't on the radar when he started playing. I know they were in some circles, but in "Friday night lights" country it just wasn't something that was being taken into account even a decade ago. I'll bet there are a lot of pro players and even college players whose parents encouraged them in the sport with very little awareness of the potential consequences.

But even if they did know... These are young men, many of whom see no other prospects for their future, choosing to inflict permanent brain damage upon themselves for the long shot chance of a scholarship or a paycheck. Many are already suffering from that damage by the time they reach the NCAA or pro levels. It just feels so callous to say "They knew the risk" and knock back a few beers while watching them destroy their brains on live TV.

I don't know how anyone who plays or even watches a violent sport can not think there could be some damage happening.
Football to me is just like boxing or UFC, why anyone would willingly get themselves beat up is beyond me. I guess when you make it to the NFL and get your million dollar contracts its worth it, but really you don't know by that time you are doing your body (including anything internal like your brain) damage? Yeah right.

Aaron Hernandez aside, I think as adults who are looking at sports for our children, we need to be the ones keeping up with the research and making well informed decisions for our children. We say that the players know the risks, but do children and teenagers REALLY know the risks? Do kids understand brain development and what CTE means? Absolutely not. You do not need to be an NFL player to risk brain injury. The brain's key development is in the early years and for me, the CTE conversation highlights how important my role as a parent is. I have a 10 year old son who is dying to play football but our answer is sorry, no. I am not willing to risk that level of injury on his developing brain. I am just not and that is my decision. He does play baseball, and yes there are risks, but to me, they are much lower than that of tackle football. USA Football has done a great job promoting Heads Up Football and I know some wonderful coaches who work hard to teach kids appropriate form, but at the end of the day, little kids cannot totally control their motion when tackling and in the heat of the game, they lose their technique and don't hit they way they have been taught. It just happens and I have seen it happen over and over. So for now, I am making the most informed decision I can and I think that is the key take away from this conversation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/sports/football/tackle-football-brain-youth.html?mcubz=3

And I think Aaron Hernandez had way more issues than CTE

One other layer to consider here with reference to football and the sudden hysteria over CTE...

Football by its' nature is definitely a violent game, no question about it. Even taking the head shots out of the game, which for the most part has been done, it's still violent. Therefore, it takes a certain type of person to play. Typically, it's an "alpha male" type person...or at least one that has that trait somewhere in their personality. Sure, a passive and timid child can play when they're in pee wee football, but by time they get to 2nd, 3rd grade and up, those kids get eaten for lunch and quit. The ones left playing are aggressive. DS10 is in 4th grade...he's a sweetheart of a child, but when it comes to practice or especially game time, it's like a flipping a light switch. Put the helmet on him, and he's a different kid. By time you reach the high ranks of college football and the NFL, it's weeded out even further. Besides being physically talented, you MUST have some type of majorly "alpha male" part of your personality, some are hyper aggressive. Unfortunately, personalities like that sometimes also have off the field issues...regardless of any head trauma. So you can't just look at the hits and point to CTE.

Last edited:
After seeing who the bottom feeding, fact bending, manipulating, lawyer is that filed this suit, absolutely zero respect for the filing. MA needs to correct the broken laws that allow someone who is convicted to have the conviction vacated if they die before exhausting all appeals.
I was curious as to why that law is still on the books. Here's why. (At least it was the best and simplest explanation I could find.)

http://dailyfreepress.com/2017/04/1...-frustrating-in-hernandez-case-but-necessary/

"Though Hernandez’s case was pretty cut and dry, abatement ad initio is crucial to the justice system. There must be a legal precedent to apply to all cases, even though this 2015 case leaves little to speculate about. Appeal processes are essential to cases that do require more investigation or could’ve been tampered with the first time around. If we’re allowing previously convicted criminals to enter the appeals process, including Hernandez, it would be wrong to ignore that upon their death. Abatement ad initio may be an archaic law that relatively few states still follow, but its existence is often useful. It shows that this country takes the appeals process seriously and gives all people a second chance. There are things in law that must be sweeping for the justice system to work and compromises have to be made for the greater good."

Apparently there are at least two bills in the works looking at it from the angle of victim's rights.

Is there nothing in their contracts that precludes them from suing the NFL for this kind of thing? Like a waiver of liability or something? I agree that they know the risks they are taking by playing football, so the NFL shouldn't be held accountable. I suspect some may feel the risk is worth the reward of fortune and fame.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/zero-1-football-helmet-helps-prevent-concussions/

I find the development of this helmet interesting. The article was posted April, 2017 so I am guessing it was not in use yet. Maybe this season?

The warnings about playing under 12 in other studies caught my attention. In other areas, tackle football may have been popular for the under 12 kids for years but its not something that has been here. When my sons played, they started with flag football at 5 and played until 6th grade (so about 12) when they started on the midget/pee wee teams and tackle. Now there are no local flag teams and they start right in on tackle. I would have an issue with that if my kids were those ages. My sons were able to learn the techniques of the game without the threat of getting hurt. It made them better players later on. I don't agree with playing tackle football at that young age and not just because of concussions. There is a lot to learn when learning the game but too many people focus on "hit 'em hard".

We have a German exchange student living with us, and her comment while watching a game was "it seems this is all about people hitting each other and being violent." Interesting comment. First football game she'd ever seen. She wondered what the point of it was. Of course, i tried to explain the rules and about moving the ball down the field, etc, but violent contact is a key part of the game. And, I'm glad my son does not play. Of course, you CAN get concussions doing anything, but the chances that you will have one (or many) while playing higher level sports is exceedingly high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter