Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

The warnings about playing under 12 in other studies caught my attention. In other areas, tackle football may have been popular for the under 12 kids for years but its not something that has been here. When my sons played, they started with flag football at 5 and played until 6th grade (so about 12) when they started on the midget/pee wee teams and tackle. Now there are no local flag teams and they start right in on tackle. I would have an issue with that if my kids were those ages. My sons were able to learn the techniques of the game without the threat of getting hurt. It made them better players later on. I don't agree with playing tackle football at that young age and not just because of concussions. There is a lot to learn when learning the game but too many people focus on "hit 'em hard".

No, not at all accurate. Flag football (my boys tried it one year during tackle football offseason) has very little in common with tackle. We've seen kids who have been playing flag for a while and then come into tackle. They are not better players, they're actually significantly worse. There are very few techniques they learn in flag that translate well to tackle. In flag, they can't block, don't have the same formations, techniques and don't tackle. When they come into tackle, they are so far behind the kids who have been playing. They have no idea how to tackle properly, and that puts them much more at risk for injury (head or otherwise) than someone who has been playing tackle and knows proper tackle technique. They lower their head, use the crown of their helmet, or try to arm tackle (which can lead to arm injury).

The focus of youth football is not "hit 'em hard". I've heard the terms "Eyes to the thighs" "Get low" "Head up" "Wrap up" "Drive for five" so many times I hear it in my sleep. The kids are taught to aim low, have their head up, wrap their arms around the opponent. Many of them now even teach a wrap and roll tackle technique. Imagine how an alligator rolls its' prey, and it's a similar concept. Wrap them up low, and roll them down. Yes, sometimes they hit hard. As I said, DS10 has caused many kids to leave the game in tears. But any kid who tries to "blow up" another kid with a helmet first tackle, or arms at their side just trying to use their shoulder will get yanked out of the game so fast they'll get a concussion from the coach yanking them. :D So sure, hard hits are part of the game, but proper technique is FAR more important.

I worry far more about my kids playing lacrosse than I do the boys playing football. DS13 is defense in lacrosse, which is very physical. DD10 doesn't wear a helmet, as it's not part of the girls' game (which boggles my mind), and DS10 is a goalie...he comes home every single practice and game with bruises from being hit by the ball.

No, not at all accurate. Flag football (my boys tried it one year during tackle football offseason) has very little in common with tackle. We've seen kids who have been playing flag for a while and then come into tackle. They are not better players, they're actually significantly worse. There are very few techniques they learn in flag that translate well to tackle. In flag, they can't block, don't have the same formations, techniques and don't tackle. When they come into tackle, they are so far behind the kids who have been playing. They have no idea how to tackle properly, and that puts them much more at risk for injury (head or otherwise) than someone who has been playing tackle and knows proper tackle technique. They lower their head, use the crown of their helmet, or try to arm tackle (which can lead to arm injury).

The focus of youth football is not "hit 'em hard". I've heard the terms "Eyes to the thighs" "Get low" "Head up" "Wrap up" "Drive for five" so many times I hear it in my sleep. The kids are taught to aim low, have their head up, wrap their arms around the opponent. Many of them now even teach a wrap and roll tackle technique. Imagine how an alligator rolls its' prey, and it's a similar concept. Wrap them up low, and roll them down. Yes, sometimes they hit hard. As I said, DS10 has caused many kids to leave the game in tears. But any kid who tries to "blow up" another kid with a helmet first tackle, or arms at their side just trying to use their shoulder will get yanked out of the game so fast they'll get a concussion from the coach yanking them. :D So sure, hard hits are part of the game, but proper technique is FAR more important.

I worry far more about my kids playing lacrosse than I do the boys playing football. DS13 is defense in lacrosse, which is very physical. DD10 doesn't wear a helmet, as it's not part of the girls' game (which boggles my mind), and DS10 is a goalie...he comes home every single practice and game with bruises from being hit by the ball.

That may have been your experience but it wasn't mine or that of my kids. The coach in flag that both of my boys played for had the ability to teach them the basics of the game toward them playing tackle in the future. There was a LOT that was similar about the games. And yes they were better players because of it. Other kids came on the tackle team in 6th grade and didn't have a clue about playing football. He also coached them in tackle (he had a son the same age as my oldest) for a couple of years and they learned to tackle when the time was right. When they got in tackle football, he didn't just assume they knew what to do, he taught them. That is what a coach is supposed to do. Playing flag at the age of 5, imo and e, was much more appropriate than tackle.

You have to remember that when they get on that field at 5, they are trying to imitate their heroes or what they think their heroes do. That is hard hitting. I don't think its age appropriate. Besides you also have mom and/or dad in the stands yelling "HIT HIM" and that is exactly what a 5 year old is going to do. Not saying I didn't yell from the stands, but by the time mine got there, they knew that they needed to listen for Coach Ty's voice not mine.

I don't have a problem with football. I know there are other more dangerous sports. Heck pro-wrestling isn't technically a sport, its entertainment and yet I know my two have a greater risk factor for getting hurt. I just don't think its appropriate at 5 year of age.

I am a rabid college football fan - and get mad if anyone interrupts college football saturday!

That being said, participation is lower primarily among upper middle class, educated parents. It is just not worth the risk.
I can see a time where it is just poor kids with ignorant parents who play football.

That may have been your experience but it wasn't mine or that of my kids. The coach in flag that both of my boys played for had the ability to teach them the basics of the game toward them playing tackle in the future. There was a LOT that was similar about the games. And yes they were better players because of it. Other kids came on the tackle team in 6th grade and didn't have a clue about playing football. He also coached them in tackle (he had a son the same age as my oldest) for a couple of years and they learned to tackle when the time was right. When they got in tackle football, he didn't just assume they knew what to do, he taught them. That is what a coach is supposed to do. Playing flag at the age of 5, imo and e, was much more appropriate than tackle.

You have to remember that when they get on that field at 5, they are trying to imitate their heroes or what they think their heroes do. That is hard hitting. I don't think its age appropriate. Besides you also have mom and/or dad in the stands yelling "HIT HIM" and that is exactly what a 5 year old is going to do. Not saying I didn't yell from the stands, but by the time mine got there, they knew that they needed to listen for Coach Ty's voice not mine.

I don't have a problem with football. I know there are other more dangerous sports. Heck pro-wrestling isn't technically a sport, its entertainment and yet I know my two have a greater risk factor for getting hurt. I just don't think its appropriate at 5 year of age.

A good football coach starts the players out learning proper technique. Peewee players are taught form tackling from the first day of practice. My son's first years of football were part of an organization with 25 teams of players and cheerleaders. We would travel to away games and end up playing one of the teams from our organization, with both teams having to wear practice shells, instead of game jerseys.

Many of the teams had former pro players as coaches, workshops held by the local pro team, and visits from current pro players at practices.

This new style of practice where players do not "hit," is leading to more injuries. The time for a new player to find out what it is like to be tackled is during practice, not during a game.

As for flag football, just as much risk for concussions. Those fabric "helmets" that they wear do nothing to protect against contact. Those fabric caps are the same "helmets" being worn in passing leagues, also known as 7 on 7. They provide zero protection in a "helmet to helmet" collision.

Bottom line, nobody should be forced to participate in any activity they are not comfortable in.

We have a German exchange student living with us, and her comment while watching a game was "it seems this is all about people hitting each other and being violent." Interesting comment. First football game she'd ever seen. She wondered what the point of it was. Of course, i tried to explain the rules and about moving the ball down the field, etc, but violent contact is a key part of the game. And, I'm glad my son does not play. Of course, you CAN get concussions doing anything, but the chances that you will have one (or many) while playing higher level sports is exceedingly high.

I take it she doesn't watch any soccer in her home country? European 'football' is just as brutal, IMO, and they wear no protection beyond a mouth guard. Watched one game where a guy took a kick to the head. They had to carry him off on a stretcher, unconscious. Then all the headbutting of the balls, and each other when they can get away with it.

And I think they play rugby in Germany too? My daughter played rugby, broke two fingers and got a really bad concussion.

Was just thinking about this. We won't know until OJ dies but my God, could you imagine if it comes back that he had CTE?

So what if he has CTE? Is there a study that shows an increase in violence, etc of those with CTE?

All I've found is:

http://pnl.bwh.harvard.edu/education/what-is/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/

I've found no studies that back up any claim that CTE causes people to become murderers. Actually, from using multiple search engines, I've found nothing but anecdotal information. It does look like there are going to be more studies, better studies done in the near future. But people are jumping to conclusions right now.

I am a football fan. I don't think anyone should be forced to play & would support anyone who chose not to. If they do choose to play, they're accepting the risk, IMO.

I AM NOT a football fan, but IMO the condition CAN BEGIN during childhood football or any sport where head impacts are part and parcel of the play.

A good football coach starts the players out learning proper technique. Peewee players are taught form tackling from the first day of practice. My son's first years of football were part of an organization with 25 teams of players and cheerleaders. We would travel to away games and end up playing one of the teams from our organization, with both teams having to wear practice shells, instead of game jerseys.

Many of the teams had former pro players as coaches, workshops held by the local pro team, and visits from current pro players at practices.

This new style of practice where players do not "hit," is leading to more injuries. The time for a new player to find out what it is like to be tackled is during practice, not during a game.

As for flag football, just as much risk for concussions. Those fabric "helmets" that they wear do nothing to protect against contact. Those fabric caps are the same "helmets" being worn in passing leagues, also known as 7 on 7. They provide zero protection in a "helmet to helmet" collision.

Bottom line, nobody should be forced to participate in any activity they are not comfortable in.

I don't know anything about the "new techniques", as I haven't had a kid playing in years.

That is exactly what their coach did as far as teaching techniques. My dad started the organization of pee wee/midget football in our community. He had to "fire" coaches that got a little out of hand when teaching the kids how to do things. But they did hit at practice and again, were 12 not 5.

Not sure what contact your kids has in flag but there was no contact in the flag football my sons played. They didn't wear helmets because there was no contact, at all.

My oldest played quarterback from 12 into high school. He was a talented player and if not for the decison to quit after an injury, would have been the starting varsity quarterback as a high school freshman. Even though we knew he had the talent, the fact that he didn't want to "get back on the horse" told us he didn't need to play any longer. Younger DS loved playing until he stood by the fence and watched a player at a high school game get tackled and have to be taken off the field in a helicopter with a spinal injury. I have had regrets about them quitting due to later circumstances but would agree that no one should be forced to play.

I just don't think kids need to start tackling and hitting at 5. Let them learn to like the game first. I feel the same about baseball. Kids start younger and younger and it's causing more and more injuries over the time of playing. I mean, really, World Series for 6 year olds? Just seems a bit much.

Last edited:
So what if he has CTE? Is there a study that shows an increase in violence, etc of those with CTE?

All I've found is:

http://pnl.bwh.harvard.edu/education/what-is/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/

I've found no studies that back up any claim that CTE causes people to become murderers. Actually, from using multiple search engines, I've found nothing but anecdotal information. It does look like there are going to be more studies, better studies done in the near future. But people are jumping to conclusions right now.
I think you answered your own question!

From your linked article:

"Classification and Symptoms

The symptoms of CTE begin years or even decades following exposure to repetitive blows to the head and include changes in thinking, mood, and behavior. As the disease progresses, it can lead to dementia.

Symptoms associated with CTE are classified according to whether problems or changes are observed in thinking, mood, or behavior. Symptoms in these areas, as noted previously, are usually diagnosed years or even decades after repetitive brain trauma when the neurodegeneration has progressed to the point that changes in thinking, mood, or behavior begin to interfere with daily functioning. Changes in all three symptom areas can be mild at first but progress over time to a more severe form of the disease, with dementia typically evident in all advanced cases of CTE. Problems with thinking or cognition involve difficulties with learning, memory, and what is known as executive functioning, or the ability to connect experiences, memories, and behaviors. Mood changes often involve problems with depression, irritability, loss of motivation, or suicidal thinking or behavior. Behavioral changes are typically seen as problems with impulse control which can lead to aggressive or violent behaviors, or problems with substance abuse."

It's not a stretch that someone who could be suicidal could also be homicidal. Loss of impulse control and violent behaviors. All right there. I mean, you aren't going to find anything that says that CTE causes people to be murderers, per say, but these experts - and many other authorities - have listed typical symptoms. So I'm thinking paco's thinking may not be that far out of line. YMMV.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the "new techniques", as I haven't had a kid playing in years.

That is exactly what their coach did as far as teaching techniques. My dad started the organization of pee wee/midget football in our community. He had to "fire" coaches that got a little out of hand when teaching the kids how to do things. But they did hit at practice and again, were 12 not 5.

Not sure what contact your kids has in flag but there was no contact in the flag football my sons played. They didn't wear helmets because there was no contact, at all.

My oldest played quarterback from 12 into high school. He was a talented player and if not for the decison to quit after an injury, would have been the starting varsity quarterback as a high school freshman. Even though we knew he had the talent, the fact that he didn't want to "get back on the horse" told us he didn't need to play any longer. Younger DS loved playing until he stood by the fence and watched a player at a high school game get tackled and have to be taken off the field in a helicopter with a spinal injury. I have had regrets about them quitting due to later circumstances but would agree that no one should be forced to play.

I just don't think kids need to start tackling and hitting at 5. Let them learn to like the game first. I feel the same about baseball. Kids start younger and younger and it's causing more and more injuries over the time of playing. I mean, really, World Series for 6 year olds? Just seems a bit much.

I don't know what it was like years ago for youth football, I've only been involved for the past 5 years. But there's no doubt that in the way the game is played and taught today, flag football is not the best way for a youth to transition into tackle. It's a negative. As PP said, they start to learn proper tackling techniques at age 5. And at that age, they can't really hit all that hard anyway. But they learn to keep their head up, aim for the thighs, wrap up, etc... Far safer for them. In fact, the coaches stay on the field with them during the game and give immediate coaching and feedback. Watching a 5 or 6 year old game is a riot...it's never hard hitting, it's a lot of trial and error. So cute. I'm about to go spend the next 8 hours at the fields...both of my boys have home games and I'm doing stadium announcing all day. Looking forward to it.

I didn't realize you were involved in pro-wrestling. Do they "teach" anything to help with avoiding head trauma? As violent as the WWE is, I can't imagine how challenging it must be to keep safety in mind. Yes, the plot lines and such are all fake, but those guys (and girls) are phenomenal athletes. The things I saw them do when my boys would watch is both scary and takes amazing athletic skill.

I don't know what it was like years ago for youth football, I've only been involved for the past 5 years. But there's no doubt that in the way the game is played and taught today, flag football is not the best way for a youth to transition into tackle. It's a negative. As PP said, they start to learn proper tackling techniques at age 5. And at that age, they can't really hit all that hard anyway. But they learn to keep their head up, aim for the thighs, wrap up, etc... Far safer for them. In fact, the coaches stay on the field with them during the game and give immediate coaching and feedback. Watching a 5 or 6 year old game is a riot...it's never hard hitting, it's a lot of trial and error. So cute. I'm about to go spend the next 8 hours at the fields...both of my boys have home games and I'm doing stadium announcing all day. Looking forward to it.

I didn't realize you were involved in pro-wrestling. Do they "teach" anything to help with avoiding head trauma? As violent as the WWE is, I can't imagine how challenging it must be to keep safety in mind. Yes, the plot lines and such are all fake, but those guys (and girls) are phenomenal athletes. The things I saw them do when my boys would watch is both scary and takes amazing athletic skill.

Awww you are making me miss those Saturdays spent at the football fields! All day of games. Lots of work for those involved but so much fun! Enjoy!

Yeah, two of my kids are pro-wrestlers in the indy circuit. In the process of starting their own company. The same guy that trained DS about 15 years ago is now helping to train Dd. (Along with DS and her boyfriend). They do learn how to take moves in a way to prevent head trauma. And the one giving the move is watching and does it in a way to protect the "opponent". Of course stuff happens and it is a danger. Certain kinds of matches seem to cause concussions more often. DS chooses to stay away from a lot of those. But many of what looks like a head shot is done in a way that the head is more protected than it appears. It's an interesting "sport". Knock on wood, DS has been doing this for 15 years without injury.

I think you answered your own question!

From your linked article:

"Classification and Symptoms

The symptoms of CTE begin years or even decades following exposure to repetitive blows to the head and include changes in thinking, mood, and behavior. As the disease progresses, it can lead to dementia.

Symptoms associated with CTE are classified according to whether problems or changes are observed in thinking, mood, or behavior. Symptoms in these areas, as noted previously, are usually diagnosed years or even decades after repetitive brain trauma when the neurodegeneration has progressed to the point that changes in thinking, mood, or behavior begin to interfere with daily functioning. Changes in all three symptom areas can be mild at first but progress over time to a more severe form of the disease, with dementia typically evident in all advanced cases of CTE. Problems with thinking or cognition involve difficulties with learning, memory, and what is known as executive functioning, or the ability to connect experiences, memories, and behaviors. Mood changes often involve problems with depression, irritability, loss of motivation, or suicidal thinking or behavior. Behavioral changes are typically seen as problems with impulse control which can lead to aggressive or violent behaviors, or problems with substance abuse."

It's not a stretch that someone who could be suicidal could also be homicidal. Loss of impulse control and violent behaviors. All right there. I mean, you aren't going to find anything that says that CTE causes people to be murderers, per say, but these experts - and many other authorities - have listed typical symptoms. So I'm thinking paco's thinking may not be that far out of line. YMMV.

Edit: typo

Suicide to Homicide is quite a stretch, IMO. Killing oneself is a totally different mind frame than killing another person.

Football, professional wrestling, boxing, all the other hard-contact sports are violent to start with, and certain people are attracted to that hard contact violence. So I don't see how they can say the CTE makes someone violent. The sport itself is a magnet for people with a desire to strike out at others. Hernandez was a violent punk long before he played professional football, even early in his high school period. The above part you quoted didn't even have any back-up data - I looked for it. It was the only (half well done) source I could find on CTE and it sucks as a source, that was my point. Right now it's just a bunch of people guessing what is happening. But they aren't looking at the source of the pool - people who agree to play violent sports.

There's a lot of studing going on on CTE. No hard and fast conclusions yet, but all appear to pointing in the same direction. The last link I put here is interesting that it postulates that there are two types of CTE, one resulting in more dementia type symptoms and one resulting in more violence/impulsivity. There also "appears" to be a possible genetic component that may affect the symptomatology expressed. Far from light reading, but very interesting. These are only a small sample of what's out there. This research is far from complete.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995699/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4655127/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945234/
https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13195-014-0068-z

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...son-murder-suicide/1h9ajn49vxqia1niacz7lr9yrv

Dr. Bennet Omalu: ‘No question in my mind’ CTE led Aaron Hernandez to murder, suicide

Published on Sep. 22, 2017

There is no doubt in the mind of Dr. Bennet Omalu, the man who discovered CTE, that the brain disease led Aaron Hernandez to violence.
omalu-bennet-092217-getty-ftrjpg_qua0rld2gbsd1whr92ai9gr8z.jpg

(Getty Images)
While the NFL has vowed to fight the lawsuit filed on behalf of Aaron Hernandez’s family that claims the league and Patriots have failed to protect players against the dangers of concussions, Dr. Bennet Omalu believes the plaintiffs have a case.

In fact, Omalu, the physician who discovered CTE, is positive the degenerative brain disease led Hernandez to violence and suicide.

"There is no question in my mind that CTE drove Aaron Hernandez to suicide and other criminal and violent behavior," Omalu told TMZ.

The Nigerian doctor, on whose work the movie “Concussion” starring Will Smith was based, links Hernandez to another former NFL star many believe to be murderous despite his acquittal in criminal court.

"If you read my book 'Truth Doesn’t Have a Side,' you will encounter the chapter titled 'I bet my license O.J. Simpson Has CTE,' therefore, it should not be surprising that Aaron Hernandez eventually committed suicide," Omalu said.

And based on the life paths of Simpson and Hernandez, this remark by Dr. Omalu is particularly ominous: "I am yet to examine the brain of a professional football player who does not have CTE or other forms of brain damage.”

Suicide to Homicide is quite a stretch, IMO. Killing oneself is a totally different mind frame than killing another person.

Football, professional wrestling, boxing, all the other hard-contact sports are violent to start with, and certain people are attracted to that hard contact violence. So I don't see how they can say the CTE makes someone violent. The sport itself is a magnet for people with a desire to strike out at others. Hernandez was a violent punk long before he played professional football, even early in his high school period. The above part you quoted didn't even have any back-up data - I looked for it. It was the only (half well done) source I could find on CTE and it sucks as a source, that was my point. Right now it's just a bunch of people guessing what is happening. But they aren't looking at the source of the pool - people who agree to play violent sports.

A bit of a brush you are using to paint those that play these sports. Hernandez may have been a punk from day one but not all of them are, a long way from it. Some football players come from less than clean to violent pasts but a huge number of them are just guys that love a game and have the talent to get them there

You don't seem to think CTE causes someone to take these actions. I think the actions of those known to have had it show differently. Take Chris Benoit (pro wrestler). He had the brain of an 85 year old Alzheimer's patient and early dementia which causes depression which can cause someone to hurt themselves or others. He obviously had CTE. He killed his family and himself. Now you may say that steriods could have had a big play in it but toxicology reports say otherwise.

Published on Sep. 22, 2017

There is no doubt in the mind of Dr. Bennet Omalu, the man who discovered CTE, that the brain disease led Aaron Hernandez to violence.

Yes, because a football player would never kill anyone or commit suicide, if not for CTE. None of them could just be bad people. :rolleyes: (not rolling my eyes at you, but the idea that he wouldn't have committed the crimes or killed himself, if not for CTE) It appears some people think the NFL is full of perfect, upstanding citizens that unlike the general population, where there are bad people who do commit violent crimes, would never harm anyone, if it weren't for CTE. Let's just give them all a get out of jail free card to do whatever they choose, then blame CTE.

I'm not saying CTE couldn't affect someone's mind. It appears it has affected the personality of some former players. A few of them probably wouldn't have taken their life, if it weren't for the disease. That's tragic & heartbreaking for them & their families. I just don't think that's the only reason NFL players are committing crimes on others or committing suicide. I'm sure there are many former & current athletes in all sports that have CTE or early signs of it that will never harm anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!