Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

I was never really into in football in the first place, but CTE makes me question it even more. - That stuff is really scary! (And, yes, I know other sports can cause concussions as well...but I think concussions, and especially repeated ones, are a whole lot more likely in football and boxing than, say, tennis or golf.)

Thankfully, my son never asked to play football - but if he had, I would have said no. I'm sure there are some benefits to playing, but I just can't see them actually outweighing the risks in this case. (And I'm not a "bubble-wrap" parent. I do believe some risk is normal and appropriate.)

I've been reading a book lately called The Teenage Brain (Frances E. Jensen, MD) and just this morning happened to hit Chapter 15 - "Sports and Concussions." There was a lot of interesting information on CTE, and on how concussions affect adolescents differently than adults:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18964642-the-teenage-brain

Last edited:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...son-murder-suicide/1h9ajn49vxqia1niacz7lr9yrv

Dr. Bennet Omalu: ‘No question in my mind’ CTE led Aaron Hernandez to murder, suicide

Published on Sep. 22, 2017

There is no doubt in the mind of Dr. Bennet Omalu, the man who discovered CTE, that the brain disease led Aaron Hernandez to violence.
omalu-bennet-092217-getty-ftrjpg_qua0rld2gbsd1whr92ai9gr8z.jpg

(Getty Images)
While the NFL has vowed to fight the lawsuit filed on behalf of Aaron Hernandez’s family that claims the league and Patriots have failed to protect players against the dangers of concussions, Dr. Bennet Omalu believes the plaintiffs have a case.

In fact, Omalu, the physician who discovered CTE, is positive the degenerative brain disease led Hernandez to violence and suicide.

"There is no question in my mind that CTE drove Aaron Hernandez to suicide and other criminal and violent behavior," Omalu told TMZ.

The Nigerian doctor, on whose work the movie “Concussion” starring Will Smith was based, links Hernandez to another former NFL star many believe to be murderous despite his acquittal in criminal court.

"If you read my book 'Truth Doesn’t Have a Side,' you will encounter the chapter titled 'I bet my license O.J. Simpson Has CTE,' therefore, it should not be surprising that Aaron Hernandez eventually committed suicide," Omalu said.

And based on the life paths of Simpson and Hernandez, this remark by Dr. Omalu is particularly ominous: "I am yet to examine the brain of a professional football player who does not have CTE or other forms of brain damage.”

I don't know. He obviously understands the disease much better than I ever will but I don't know if he's right. It's hard with Hernandez because violence and gang activity were a big part of his life before he became an adult. It's not like there's an obvious point where there was a change in him.
There's something about his statements about oj that I don't like. At first it seems like he's making a big statement by saying he'd bet his license that oj has cte. Wow that seems like he's really confident. He also thinks more football players have it. That lessens the whole thing. If he thinks most players have it or will have it, of course he thinks oj does. However, if most players (current and former) have it why aren't more of them violent murders?

I went to college with Aaron and he was an acquaintance. CTE is terrible and it's clear it impacted him but it's not responsible for his actions based on my experience with him.

I understand many think he's a POS - and maybe rightfully so - but I always saw him as a guy who really really really needed help. Not excusing a thing or defending him.

I was never really into in football in the first place, but CTE makes me question it even more. - That stuff is really scary! (And, yes, I know other sports can cause concussions as well...but I think concussions, and especially repeated ones, are a whole more likely in football and boxing than, say, tennis or golf.)

Thankfully, my son never asked to play football - but if he had, I would have said no. I'm sure there are some benefits to playing, but I just can't see them actually outweighing the risks in this case. (And I'm not a "bubble-wrap" parent. I do believe some risk is normal and appropriate.)

I've been reading a book lately called The Teenage Brain (Frances E. Jensen, MD) and just this morning happened to hit Chapter 15 - "Sports and Concussions." There was a lot of interesting information on CTE, and on how concussions affect adolescents differently than adults:

You can't compare football to tennis or golf. Sorry, I know it offends a lot of people, but to me golf isn't even a sport. It's a game. To be fair, you'd need to compare football to hockey, lacrosse, rubgy, or even soccer (which encourages head use). I just never understand so many parents saying "I wouldn't let my kid play" without really understanding or looking into youth football. It's not what people think it is, but they let the "fear" being spread and stigma being attached (unfairly) to the NFL and CTE stop it. There has never been a safer time to let your kid play football than now. So much attention is being paid to player safety, it's crazy.

Oh, and Dr. Omalu...tons of respect for his medical knowledge, but he has a bit of an axe to grind, so no surprise at all he'd make the claim about Hernandez and CTE.

You can't compare football to tennis or golf. Sorry, I know it offends a lot of people, but to me golf isn't even a sport. It's a game. To be fair, you'd need to compare football to hockey, lacrosse, rubgy, or even soccer (which encourages head use). I just never understand so many parents saying "I wouldn't let my kid play" without really understanding or looking into youth football. It's not what people think it is, but they let the "fear" being spread and stigma being attached (unfairly) to the NFL and CTE stop it. There has never been a safer time to let your kid play football than now. So much attention is being paid to player safety, it's crazy.

Oh, and Dr. Omalu...tons of respect for his medical knowledge, but he has a bit of an axe to grind, so no surprise at all he'd make the claim about Hernandez and CTE.

My kid wasn't interested in soccer or lacrosse, we don't have youth rugby in my town, and hockey was not an option for completely different reasons. But I can change my comparison to track or basketball (which he did play) if you like. With either of those, you get plenty of exercise and learn to be part of a team. - So can you help me understand what additional benefit football provides that makes it worth considering?

Maybe we'll still disagree, because I do believe CTE is a real risk, demonstrated by science, and not just an "unfair stigma". (I'm basing that on Dr. Omalu's research and the book I mentioned above.) I really am glad kids' organizations today do so much to promote safety, but I'm still not comfortable, especially since CTE can't be tested for until after death.

My kid wasn't interested in soccer or lacrosse, we don't have youth rugby in my town, and hockey was not an option for completely different reasons. But I can change my comparison to track or basketball (which he did play) if you like. With either of those, you get plenty of exercise and learn to be part of a team. - So can you help me understand what additional benefit football provides that makes it worth considering?

Maybe we'll still disagree, because I do believe CTE is a real risk, demonstrated by science, and not just an "unfair stigma". (I'm basing that on Dr. Omalu's research and the book I mentioned above.) I really am glad kids' organizations today do so much to promote safety, but I'm still not comfortable, especially since CTE can't be tested for until after death.

I will think twice before letting my kids into football after this story.

I was never really into in football in the first place, but CTE makes me question it even more. - That stuff is really scary! (And, yes, I know other sports can cause concussions as well...but I think concussions, and especially repeated ones, are a whole lot more likely in football and boxing than, say, tennis or golf.)

I wondered if someone would mention that book here- excellent read! I think that we are only on the cusp of realizing the extent and commonality of brain trauma. As far as contact sports- it blows my mind how so many insist on turning a blind eye to the realities. However, my mind is blown so often anymore that I guess it makes sense.

Let's not forget that American football has been a sport with a dark tradition from the onset.

http://www.history.com/news/how-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

Yes, because a football player would never kill anyone or commit suicide, if not for CTE. None of them could just be bad people. :rolleyes: (not rolling my eyes at you, but the idea that he wouldn't have committed the crimes or killed himself, if not for CTE) It appears some people think the NFL is full of perfect, upstanding citizens that unlike the general population, where there are bad people who do commit violent crimes, would never harm anyone, if it weren't for CTE. Let's just give them all a get out of jail free card to do whatever they choose, then blame CTE.

I'm not saying CTE couldn't affect someone's mind. It appears it has affected the personality of some former players. A few of them probably wouldn't have taken their life, if it weren't for the disease. That's tragic & heartbreaking for them & their families. I just don't think that's the only reason NFL players are committing crimes on others or committing suicide. I'm sure there are many former & current athletes in all sports that have CTE or early signs of it that will never harm anyone.

I don't know. He obviously understands the disease much better than I ever will but I don't know if he's right. It's hard with Hernandez because violence and gang activity were a big part of his life before he became an adult. It's not like there's an obvious point where there was a change in him.
There's something about his statements about oj that I don't like. At first it seems like he's making a big statement by saying he'd bet his license that oj has cte. Wow that seems like he's really confident. He also thinks more football players have it. That lessens the whole thing. If he thinks most players have it or will have it, of course he thinks oj does. However, if most players (current and former) have it why aren't more of them violent murders?
I don't think Dr. Omalu - or anyone else - is saying that all football players will be criminals or murderers.

I think he's saying that of the brains he's studied (post-mortem) of NFL players who, in life, had wildly abnormal behavior patterns, virtually all of them had CTE.

On the previous page, isyorke posted some links that explain that differences vary widely in how symptoms present themselves in every person. People have been studying behaviors of people with repeated brain blows for a hundred years. Not all of it is new information. What's relatively new is the discovery of the presence of tau proteins in brain tissue. These occur as a result of repeated blows, that harden and cause strangulation of brain tissue (much like cement poured down a drain), which leads to these abnormal behaviors. Researchers ARE uncertain about some things, but not others, and of course, much more study is needed. One thing they are NOT unclear about is some of the physical brain tissue changes present in many of these people. One thing the ARE still unclear about is exact causation for behavioral changes. They are thinking that it's a combination of factors, such as genetics, environment, and disease. I'm sure there are more. And every person, and every case, is different. I will include an article below that explains it better than I can.

But I also wanted to add that, from what I've read, Aaron Hernandez was a multi-sport athlete who was playing tackle football with his father and older brother from a very early age. It was their life. His father had a criminal record and even his mother was once in trouble for working bookmaking, although his brother claims that she did it to help get support their family. (Not talking excuses but causation here.) A lot of factors to consider that I'm sure we'll be hearing more about as the years and lawsuits evolve. This is an interesting article about their family. https://www.si.com/longform/2016/aaron-hernandez-brother-dj-hernandez/index.html
Most people who know him say that Aaron took a turn for the worse when he lost his father unexpectedly and tragically at age 16. But what else was going on with him at that time physically? Anything? Could it be possible that it correlated with the beginnings of his brain disease/CTE? By age 27, he had Stage 3 CTE, by all accounts an advanced state of disease not usually seen until well after age 40 in most NFL players, approximately eight years after their retirement. Aaron's disease process was early onset. So which came first, the punk or the CTE?

All just food for thought. And last thought - if anyone who is interested in this subject hasn't seen Concussion (the movie), again, it's a really good movie to see. (I watched it again last night with DD.) Some of the visual illustrations help explain how the brain changes occur. It also highlights the pushback from the NFL on this matter. And Will Smith did a fantastic job.

"Aaron Hernandez Suffered Head Trauma — Does It Explain His Behavior?

Five months after he was found dead in his cell at a Massachusetts prison, Aaron Hernandez has emerged as a key figure in the debate surrounding the health risks associated with football.

Researchers at Boston University revealed Hernandez suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease believed to be linked to repeated head injuries. After studying Hernandez's brain, the researchers determined the Bristol native and former New England Patriots player suffered from an advanced level of the disease.

Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for murder, was just 27 when he committed suicide. The lawsuit filed against the NFL and the Patriots on behalf of Hernandez's 4-year-old daughter seeks $20 million in damages and links his suicide to symptoms of CTE.

While the suit does not connect Hernandez's crime to his brain disease, the story entered the court of public opinion in the aftermath of the findings: Could Hernandez's criminal behavior be byproduct of head trauma from playing football?

Speaking to reporters on a conference call Friday morning, NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart insisted that Hernandez was no victim and that the science surrounding CTE research is unsettled.

"His personal story is complex. It doesn't lend itself to simple answers," Lockhart said. "He was convicted of a homicide and his well-documented behavioral issues began long before he played in the National Football League. … I think this case does highlight a critical point. It goes to the consensus among the scientific community and how much they still need to understand about CTE. This is a very complicated puzzle. Every piece is important. There are a lot of dots here. The science just hasn't figured out how to connect them."

Among those connecting the dots: Dr. Bennet Omalu, the Pittsburgh neuropathologist who found CTE in the brains of former Steelers and was at the forefront of the issue, told TMZ Sports that he was not surprised Hernandez suffered from CTE.

"I am yet to examine the brain of a professional football player who does not have CTE or other forms of brain damage," Omalu said. "And we have always known for centuries that if you suffer forceful and/or repetitive blows to your head in whatever human activity, you will suffer brain damage."

Hernandez' descent has often been traced to the death of his father Dennis, a towering figure during his childhood in Bristol. Hernandez was a gifted athlete as a child and adolescent, excelling in baseball, basketball and football.

At Bristol Central High, he played basketball and ran track. On the football field, he emerged as one of the great players in the state. After committing to UConn — where his older brother D.J. was playing football — Hernandez instead chose the University of Florida.

Much of his aberrant behavior began in Florida. Friends of the Hernandez family believe the death of Dennis Hernandez in 2006 and Aaron's decision to leave the state contributed to his decline.

Where did head injuries figure into the story? It may be impossible to answer that question.

Pro Bowl player, earning a $40 million contract extension.

Over three seasons with the Patriots, Hernandez was listed on the NFL injury report with a concussion once. But he did not miss a game.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked Friday what steps the organization takes to educate players about CTE.

"Well, that's really, the whole medical questions are ones that come outside my area, so our medical department and medical staff, we cover a lot of things on the medical end," Belichick said. "Not just one specific thing. We cover a lot."

And Belichick's opinion of how the league handles CTE education?

"Yeah, again, I'm not a doctor," Belichick said. "I'm not a trainer. I'm a coach, so the medical department — they handle the medical part of it. I don't do that."

Concussion awareness has emerged as a significant issue at all levels of football. Hernandez wrapped up his Bristol Central career after the 2006 fall season, but played for the football team during an era when concussion awareness and protocol was changing in the state.

According to the CIAC, concussion education is a required part of the Coaching Education curriculum that was created and launched in 2007 and 2008. The current "return-to-play" rules and protocol began in 2010.

The first concussion information workshops conducted by the CIAC were held in 2005. But schools were given "best practice" information relating to head and concussion safety in the football tournament packets in the early 2000s.

Education has also become a priority in youth football, where athletes are even more vulnerable.

"We know as neurologists that the brain is still developing until the age of 13," Alessi said. "So any time you injure a developing brain — or any developing body structure, whether it be a bone or a ligament — you're going to amplify the damage and that's certainly the case with the brain. So we need to protect these young brains."

The Hernandez case, given his age, could be a catalyst for a deeper examination into the risk of head injuries at all levels. And the lawsuit was be watched closely as Hernandez joins a long list of former players affected by CTE.

"The question becomes, is this truly on a scientific basis, is this truly the reason for them committing [suicide]?" Alessi said. "We are all unique individuals. We cannot really lump people into one big group. … We still have so much to learn."

ETA link for above article: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-aaron-hernandez-brain-scan-follow-0923-20170922-story.html

Last edited:

My point was that in your previous post you were trying to compare football to golf. Like I said, golf isn't even a sport, it's a game. There is also no contact. So of course golf is going to be safer than football...in this conversation we're talking about CTE and player safety. So you really can't compare a non-contact game (golf) to a full contact sport (football). Apples and oranges when it comes to player safety. There has been a lot of sensationalism and glitzy media headlines around CTE. That has scared many people away, as evidenced by people even in this thread saying "I wouldn't let my kids play". But let's rewind the clock to 2010 or so and ask those same parents "Would you let your kids play football?" I'd bet the results would be startlingly different. Ironically, the changes that have taken place from about 2010 (or whenever CTE first really started getting attention) to today have made the game so much safer than ever before. I don't disagree that repeated head trauma is a problem...not only for football, but for any contact sport. It's just simple logic that if you smash your head into another object repeatedly for years that you risk having issues. I do, however, disagree with the laser focus on football in general, and the NFL in particular...as if it's their issue alone. It's not, and frankly other sports have a bigger problem with it than football. If I recall, one of the most common injuries associated with soccer (above pee wee level) is...yep...concussion. But no focus on that, just football. And again, the things being taught in football today are changing the game drastically. If they were still giving smelling salts to players after they got their "bell rung" or teaching kids to hit with their helmet, I wouldn't let my boys play either. But that's done a 180 degree turn. They go to extreme lengths now to keep head trauma out of the game.

And sorry, track does not teach the same team and life lessons that football does. Basketball, maybe, but track...no way.

I haven't heard this before, so just curious, what axe does he have to grind? (I googled and only came up with one reference to it, which was Will Smith saying he does not have an axe to grind, but I won't post it because of the website itself.)

My point was that in your previous post you were trying to compare football to golf. Like I said, golf isn't even a sport, it's a game. There is also no contact. So of course golf is going to be safer than football...in this conversation we're talking about CTE and player safety. So you really can't compare a non-contact game (golf) to a full contact sport (football). Apples and oranges when it comes to player safety.

But you're still not convincing me that "oranges" are better than "apples" in the first place. - My question is: Exactly what benefits do you think contact sports would give my kid that non-contact sports don't? Because if there aren't any (and pretty hefty ones at that) I still can't see a reason to risk CTE (in any sport with a lot of head injuries - not just football).

I do believe you that coaches are doing what they can to reduce the risk!! I just think it's still too high to be outweighed by the benefits when I can get the same (to me) benefits from other activities. I see many ways besides football to get cardio, teamwork, fresh air, etc. Am I missing some huge life skill or is the difference in the benefits just "love of the game" (which is always going to be there for some but not for others, so is pointless to argue about)?

But let's rewind the clock to 2010 or so and ask those same parents "Would you let your kids play football?" I'd bet the results would be startlingly different.

My results would not be different. I wouldn't have encouraged my son to play football even before CTE because even then I just didn't like the violence. What the new information gives me is a scientific reason not to let him play, rather than just a personal dislike of a sport that I know many others do like.

It's just simple logic that if you smash your head into another object repeatedly for years that you risk having issues. I do, however, disagree with the laser focus on football in general, and the NFL in particular...as if it's their issue alone. It's not, and frankly other sports have a bigger problem with it than football. If I recall, one of the most common injuries associated with soccer (above pee wee level) is...yep...concussion. But no focus on that, just football.

I'm wondering if maybe it's because we haven't had professional soccer for as long? CTE can't be diagnosed while the patient is still alive, so we're finding it in retired pro football players who have passed away. Maybe a few decades down the road, we'll have the same thing happening with retired soccer players, but for now, we can only focus on the data we have.

My point was that in your previous post you were trying to compare football to golf. Like I said, golf isn't even a sport, it's a game. There is also no contact. So of course golf is going to be safer than football...in this conversation we're talking about CTE and player safety. So you really can't compare a non-contact game (golf) to a full contact sport (football). Apples and oranges when it comes to player safety. There has been a lot of sensationalism and glitzy media headlines around CTE. That has scared many people away, as evidenced by people even in this thread saying "I wouldn't let my kids play". But let's rewind the clock to 2010 or so and ask those same parents "Would you let your kids play football?" I'd bet the results would be startlingly different. Ironically, the changes that have taken place from about 2010 (or whenever CTE first really started getting attention) to today have made the game so much safer than ever before. I don't disagree that repeated head trauma is a problem...not only for football, but for any contact sport. It's just simple logic that if you smash your head into another object repeatedly for years that you risk having issues. I do, however, disagree with the laser focus on football in general, and the NFL in particular...as if it's their issue alone. It's not, and frankly other sports have a bigger problem with it than football. If I recall, one of the most common injuries associated with soccer (above pee wee level) is...yep...concussion. But no focus on that, just football. And again, the things being taught in football today are changing the game drastically. If they were still giving smelling salts to players after they got their "bell rung" or teaching kids to hit with their helmet, I wouldn't let my boys play either. But that's done a 180 degree turn. They go to extreme lengths now to keep head trauma out of the game.

And sorry, track does not teach the same team and life lessons that football does. Basketball, maybe, but track...no way.

Why does there even need to be a comparison? It's clear you think football is getting a bad rap compared to other sports. But the research isn't comparing the rates of CTE in football to golf. The research is connecting CTE to football. Playing football is a definite risk for developing CTE.

As to whether that's "sensational" or a "glitzy media" headline, shouldn't parents be concerned about their child's brain development and neuro health? What makes that sensational? Research data and expert opinion (on both sides) are necessary because we're dealing with something hugely important and parents need to make well informed decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter