4 Halloween parties in 10 days in August

Status
Not open for further replies.
After fall trips in 2016 and 2017, I have sworn them off as much as we enjoy F&W. Between the weather (including hurricanes) and those darn parties, it’s not worth going then.

Now they’re expanding the parties into August? Two nights in a week isn’t as bad as the three and four nights we had to schedule around, but watch them do that next year.

The greed displayed by Disney’s current management continues to astonish me. I think the U.S. economy is more fragile than most people realize. Next downturn, WDW is going to be forced into slashing things left and right to keep its empire running.

We are going the same week as you and it is really frustrating. They used to chase you out of the MK at 7pm, now it's 6??? We never get park hoppers and Disney is almost pushing people to get hoppers because many will not want to call it a night at 6pm. It's always about the $$$ for Disney.

It makes me mad because we specifically booked the 3rd week in August so we wouldn't have to plan around MNSSHP and now they made the party a week earlier. And since we are staying at the campgrounds it's much harder to switch our reservations.
And I refuse to spend money on park hoppers just because they want to cut hours at MK

We had that happen at Universal two years ago. They added a Halloween party date in Nov because of a hurricane. It’s frustrating when you plan around their scehedule or expected schedule and it changes.

I am agreeing with you. Parents shouldn't dress their children like that in the dead of summer whether it's a regular park day or a Halloween party. I have stayed onsite over 40 times over the last 10 years and 7 of those times have been the last week of August (including the year that Orlando had the highest heat index on record). I am incredibly familiar with how hot it is in the dead of summer in WDW. I do not understand the point, however, that Disney is somehow responsible for parents dressing their children this way and should, perhaps, not schedule a Halloween party in August because parents will continue to do this. This argument could be extended to - Disney should also shut down BBB and Pirate's League at this time because it incentivizes the same behavior. The other PP suggested Disney put a disclaimer on tickets that it will be hot. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Disney can't fix stupid. I did go to a Halloween party in August. I did not witness any children dressed in hot costumes, makeup or masks on the evening we attended. I also witnessed no cranky or crying children on the evening we went. There were many responsible parents in attendance. We enjoyed the party and will go again this year. I happen to think it's terrible to keep toddlers up until midnight so people can get their "money's worth" at these parties, but I'm not arguing that Disney should stop the party at 9 pm so parents get their children to bed at a reasonable hour. It's simply not Disney's responsibility to police this and I don't think it should enter their conversations when planning these events. That's ALL I'm saying.

I never said it was Disney’s fault , my whole point was making it so early definitely encourages those people who have no clue to put outrageous costumes on their poor babies when it’s so hot .. even I can hardly take the heat and I live here , it’s truly awful in August lol , I’m glad there are some parents that notice that and dress them accordingly but unfortunately not all of them do and the kids normally pay for it . I don’t care at all about the hours because I don’t stay all day but still think that is far to early for Halloween .

wow someone’s taking this a little personal...:rotfl:Yes, by the way I went to the party at the end of September. I think mid august is waaaay early to celebrate Halloween.:confused3To each is own. I personally don’t see it, but it’s not going to affect me as I don’t go to Disney in August anyways, so have at it.

Yes, I agree. To each his own. I think it's "dumb" for people to stand in long lines and pay exorbitant prices for plates of small, really mediocre food (aka F&W), but TONS of people disagree with me and Disney is obviously making money on that hand over fist. So, I'm glad those people are enjoying themselves! I love Halloween and would go to MNSSHP in February if they held it then. WDW is where I get to suspend disbelief, pixiedust: so it's Halloween for me as soon as you walk into a decorated MK. It doesn't matter what the calendar says. And so, with that, I wish you a very, happy Halloween!

I completely agree about fwf haha it’s far to crowded and a mess lol I am kind of glad they started doing the food at flower / garden because we love going in April and the other has gotten so crazy !

I think it's a trend at Disney that you're getting less and less for the price of admission. So many things now have an upcharge to them. And I KNOW that Disney is a business and that their job is to make money, but it is still frustrating as a consumer to be paying more and getting less. Can you work around parties? Yes but the fact that you've lost the ability to go the MK during those hours on that many days would be pretty frustrating if you'd booked that time frame specifically to avoid the parties.

I think it's a trend at Disney that you're getting less and less for the price of admission. So many things now have an upcharge to them. And I KNOW that Disney is a business and that their job is to make money, but it is still frustrating as a consumer to be paying more and getting less. Can you work around parties? Yes but the fact that you've lost the ability to go the MK during those hours on that many days would be pretty frustrating if you'd booked that time frame specifically to avoid the parties.

I remember a thread here maybe a year or so back in which people were complaining about how tough it is to take a trip during Halloween and Christmas party season. There were some unsympathetic posters saying too bad, so sad, you know when you plan a trip September through December, it’s what you have to face.

So now it’s August through December? OK. I would bet my bottom dollar there are people who have already booked trips during the last two weeks of August and had no clue that this would be an issue.

And yes, it does impact your overall trip. Less if it’s only two nights, but it’s still consequential. Maybe if you want to go to the party, it’s a positive surprise. But if you’re like me and think these parties are a huge rip-off, it would be pretty aggravating.

I have no issue with Disney making Money. I applaud it as it brings us more magic. But I don't find the value in Hard Ticket Events. We did MVMCP last year and the one thing my daughter wanted to do was get a picture with Jack Skellington. Well that was not going to happen with a 2 hour line. Spending almost half the party for one meet and greet. Hey Disney how about putting up a couple of these scattered across the park. I guess it is all about what you want to pay for.

I did rework my schedule and everything worked out as we Annual passes and we can hope. So I did plan 2 of our party day mornings at MK and will hop out before the party. My complaint was a lack of options as there was no late park after the MK closes at 6PM. I a hoping that they add hours as people say but why wouldn't they do that from jump.

I do not like extreme heat nor do I like cold weather. Coming from OH, I would rather deal with the Florida heat than the Florida hurricanes. For the past 3 Year’s I have had to switch vacation times to avoid hurricanes. With heat, the party goes on, hurricanes the party stops. We all have our opinions in what we prefer, let us support Disney and their changes. This is a business that cannot be stopped. Disney is well known all over the world.

Many families in the North East don't have the option of be:cake:ing in Disney in September or October because their kids are in school. Those families typically head back home around the last week of August, so having parties in the middle of the month opens up an entire new demographic for Disney. Our family is one that will most certainly pay for a Halloween party in August, since that is the only time we could possibly go to one.
:teacher::teacher::teacher:

I am a NYC public school teacher. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about the August parties. The heat won't be an issue at all. We will not wear the same type of costumes in August that we will wear here in October.

I completely agree about fwf haha it’s far to crowded and a mess lol I am kind of glad they started doing the food at flower / garden because we love going in April and the other has gotten so crazy !

LOL! The food at the EP Festival of the Holidays is even better. SHHH! Don't tell anybody!!! HA!

I remember a thread here maybe a year or so back in which people were complaining about how tough it is to take a trip during Halloween and Christmas party season. There were some unsympathetic posters saying too bad, so sad, you know when you plan a trip September through December, it’s what you have to face.

So now it’s August through December? OK. I would bet my bottom dollar there are people who have already booked trips during the last two weeks of August and had no clue that this would be an issue.

And yes, it does impact your overall trip. Less if it’s only two nights, but it’s still consequential. Maybe if you want to go to the party, it’s a positive surprise. But if you’re like me and think these parties are a huge rip-off, it would be pretty aggravating.

Yes, there are definitely two camps here. We've gone the last week of August for the past 7 years and I wasn't planning on going again this year, but was totally contemplating a weekend trip the last weekend JUST to go to MNSSHP because we had so much fun last year. We did have to navigate the parties the week before Christmas last year. We navigated them successfully though. I think rule of thumb with ALL of the curveballs WDW throws in all areas (resorts, parks and dining), you've gotta learn to zig when WDW zags, otherwise, yes, it can be very frustrating. At least the people on these threads are educating themselves and planning now. I was super impressed that OP, very quickly after starting this thread, stated they were reworking their plan now. That's good planning! I know of a guest last year who didn't bother to check park hours and found out about the MVMCP parties and the CM party they had last year when she showed up at MK on a party day (yes, she hadn't even checked park hours for that day) and then bee-lined to guest services saying WDW "ruined" her vacation. That's bad planning, or actually, not planning at all.

Yes, it will not be the popular opinion but I do not like Halloween events in August. That is still summer to me. That is totally crazy to think Halloween decorations will be up when kids are just going back to school. We love the Halloween party and go every year but I refuse to go until October.
Well, it's still summer according to science, and the calendar, too. But then, so is 2/3 of September.

I'll take the humid August parties over the frigidly cold Halloween nights where we live. It's nice to wear a costume that people can actually see. Lol. Usually everyone is wearing winter coats, boots, hats, etc...when we go trick or treating.

You must be from Minnesota. I read your post and started laughing because it is so true. We have to pick the kids' halloween costumes based on what will fit over a winter coat, long underwear and boots. I for one cannot WAIT until the Halloween parties when we are there in August. We have great costumes picked out to wear for all of us that don't involve several layers.

~D

:teacher::teacher::teacher:

I am a NYC public school teacher. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about the August parties. The heat won't be an issue at all. We will not wear the same type of costumes in August that we will wear here in October.

Me too! The thought of finally making a Halloween party is so exciting! Now if I could get a Christmas party in things would be perfect.

You must be from Minnesota. I read your post and started laughing because it is so true. We have to pick the kids' halloween costumes based on what will fit over a winter coat, long underwear and boots. I for one cannot WAIT until the Halloween parties when we are there in August. We have great costumes picked out to wear for all of us that don't involve several layers.

~D

Haha. No. Toronto. And the funny thing is, it could be relatively mild a few days before Halloween and a few days after Halloween, but Halloween night is almost always a snowy, sleety, rainy, windy kind of night. My toes are always frozen by the time I get home from trick or treating, even in my boots.

It gets to the point where you say, forget the costume, nobody can see it anyways. Just bundle up!

Haha. No. Toronto. And the funny thing is, it could be relatively mild a few days before Halloween and a few days after Halloween, but Halloween night is almost always a snowy, sleety, rainy, windy kind of night. My toes are always frozen by the time I get home from trick or treating, even in my boots.

It gets to the point where you say, forget the costume, nobody can see it anyways. Just bundle up!

Lol, I grew up in Ottawa so all my Halloween costumes were picked for their ability to be worn over winter coats. I’m now in Victoria so our son’s costumes have all been picked for their ability to match with an umbrella and raincoat!

We’re hoping for an August 28th party so we have to think of something we can wear that is not going to make us melt in the heat!

The greed displayed by Disney’s current management continues to astonish me. I think the U.S. economy is more fragile than most people realize. Next downturn, WDW is going to be forced into slashing things left and right to keep its empire running.

What goes up must come down.

I know this is not going to be popular and I will get flamed but I am going to say it.

Halloween party August 17th? Really?

Is Disney getting a little nuts about these parties?

/QUOTE]

I know what your saying!! We went the first night last year and it was SWELTERING HOT!!! Not what I associate with Halloween!

I am somewhat hypocritical as I will probably go the first night this year, but I cannot help but think that all these nights closing parks for events is extremely unfair to other guests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter