4 16 Yr Guys--camping Alone For 3 Days..yes Or No?

"Who knows, maybe one or more of those "boys" are now asking the same question about their own 16 year olds that may have been conceived that weekend :laughing:"

haha, I wonder what happened!

It popped up for me at the bottom of another thread. I never think to check dates either. Zombie threads live on!

This brings back memories! When I was young my twin brothers who at the time were 17 went camping with some friends at a beach campsite. No adults. During the middle of the night there were two boys about 12 years old (staying with their parents a few sites down)who kept messing with my brothers things. They were throwing rocks at their tents, messing with the chairs, took their food, etc.... My one brother came out of the tent yelling and chasing one of the boy’s around. At one point my brother kicked the kid in the shin. Well guess what? The kid just had surgery on his leg and my brother messed up his leg. Yep, they sued our family. Thousands of dollars for a settlement and a lawyer. So, I know that was a freak thing but I vote no.

Dang zombie thread!!! Oh well, take my story as a warning! Lol!

I know it is a zombie thread, but the discussion is interesting.

My own kids are now 21 and 19. I don't recall either doing a camping trip with friends, but both have travelled with friends (their own age or a bit older) to various events many times from age 15 or so. My only concern with camping would have been if they panned to rough it more than a short distance from civilization/help sine mine lacked serious outdoor skills.
The purchase age for beer and wine where we live is 16, so drinking would have been a posiblitly---then again all DS's friends are used to being able to drink at home so tend not to think it is a big deal to overdo it at other times.

My nephew (now 19) was biking over passes and camping along the way or at the top for 3-4 days with friends by 16. He and his friends did have the outdoor skills.

It seems sad that so many instantly think they will be partying wildly, bothering other campers, etc. Far from all teen boys are like that. In fact I would say that is the minority. Most would not be partying it up around other campers. They at least have enough sense not to do it where the law may be called. Most really do know how to behave.

It seems sad that so many instantly think they will be partying wildly, bothering other campers, etc. Far from all teen boys are like that. In fact I would say that is the minority. Most would not be partying it up around other campers. They at least have enough sense not to do it where the law may be called. Most really do know how to behave.

I went camping once during my senior year of HS and once right after, neither time was there any booze involved and I don’t think we did anything disruptive. I’d be more concerned with general safety (depending on how remote the site is) than any shenanigans, but I think it would also depend on the kids involved.

My son and his 4 friends want to go camping this weekend. All the other parents have ok'd this. I laughed..and said NO way!

There will be NO adult supervison. The campsite is about 40 miles from home. They would eave Thursday night..and return Sunday sometime.

These kids are not bad kids..none of them have every been in any kind of trouble. But..I think..why tempt fate?

What do you all think...Am i being unfair?
Hmmm...I have a 16 year old and up until this year was a counselor at a high school, and I think I'd have a pretty hard time with it. I mean do they camp all the time and so it's something and somewhere they're super familiar with? Even if that were the case, I'm not sure I could do it. Good luck, parenting is so frustrating lol.

It popped up for me at the bottom of another thread. I never think to check dates either. Zombie threads live on!
Got more replies as a Zombie thread that it did 16 years ago!
I camped without an adult at 16. That was back in 1973. My kids camped at 16 without an adult, in 2002 and 2006.
They are old enough to drive a car without an adult at 16, why not be able to camp without an adult?

No. It wouldn't matter to me how mature the kids were. Unless they are legally emancipated, in my book kids under 18 should always have an adult around to check in with.
I said no when my kids were little and Id say the same now. Both boys were camping the summer after graduation with friends with no issues. Why rush everything? We did camp with a group of families every year and let the kids be in the site next door when they were teens. That was plenty of freedom.

I said no when my kids were little and Id say the same now. Both boys were camping the summer after graduation with friends with no issues. Why rush everything? We did camp with a group of families every year and let the kids be in the site next door when they were teens. That was plenty of freedom.

Why rush everything? I don't consider letting a 16 year old have some freedom as "rushing" anything. I'm not even sure what you mean by that? Freedom? They are 16 not 6.
They can drive a car a far more dangerous thing for a 16 year old than a couple nights camping.
Kids actually need to do these kinds of things, its only a year before many are away at college essentially on their own.

I can't believe someone (I know that wasn't you) thinks anyone under 18 should always have adult supervision. Talk about helicoptering.

Honestly, it depends on the kids. If they are very mature and responsible, have made good decisions on their own, aren't prone to making stupid and reckless choices when together, have extensive camping experience and first aid training, and has driven that far before and knows how to change a tire then I would probably let him. My dh went college and lived in the dorms at 14 so my experience is a bit different.

Wonder what the disser @Pamela Gardner had in mind when she reached back in time and pulled out this 16 yr. old thread???? Also, never made a comment, and this being a first post!! :confused3

Hello!!!???

Why rush everything? I don't consider letting a 16 year old have some freedom as "rushing" anything. I'm not even sure what you mean by that? Freedom? They are 16 not 6.
They can drive a car a far more dangerous thing for a 16 year old than a couple nights camping.
Kids actually need to do these kinds of things, its only a year before many are away at college essentially on their own.

I can't believe someone (I know that wasn't you) thinks anyone under 18 should always have adult supervision. Talk about helicoptering.

Actually I did say that people under 18 should have an adult around to check in with. Not the same as "supervision" in my mind, just good sense. My kids went to the beach, went hiking, etc. they just didn't spend several nights in the wilderness with friends until they were 18. I'm all for building independence, but I'm not a fan of total independence (which is what I would call camping with no adults around) until they have reached legal majority. I left home for college at 17 and did fine without having gone camping without an adult prior to leaving home. I did that the next summer, and was probably much more prepared for it. That summer I was 18, I did lots of camping and stuff since I lived/worked in a National park. However, I saw first hand how stupid some kids were and even experienced the death of one of my coworkers due to it. I'm glad that in that situation he was at least old enough to authorize his own medical treatment - even though he didn't survive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter