4 16 Yr Guys--camping Alone For 3 Days..yes Or No?

In 2002 I would have said no way, but my kids were 2 and 4.
Now that they are 20, 17 and 14 I would say yes I would (for my older two), if I knew the other kids going.
They are old enough to drive a car and have a job at 16, and I would leave them home alone for a weekend at that age. We also have been camping since they were little so they have plenty of experience. I also didn't have any reason not to trust them (and still don't).
That would definitely depend on the individual kids though, I don't think I'd let my youngest go with his friends at 16, they are a little wild.

At 13 I went camping with my friends at a state park a mile from my house. There was booze, smoking and boys. I learned that weekend that Trident gum disintegrates in your mouth when you drink alcohol. I think there is more than a good chance that they will be drinking and a small chance someone might end up a grandma.

When I was a 16 year old boy, booze would have been definitely part of the "camping " experience. But it WAS the '70s...have kids changed? My partner and I have none.

My son and his 4 friends want to go camping this weekend. All the other parents have ok'd this. I laughed..and said NO way!

There will be NO adult supervison. The campsite is about 40 miles from home. They would eave Thursday night..and return Sunday sometime.

These kids are not bad kids..none of them have every been in any kind of trouble. But..I think..why tempt fate?

What do you all think...Am i being unfair?

Let's ask Shrek.

Well there you have it. No.

When I was a 16 year old boy, booze would have been definitely part of the "camping " experience. But it WAS the '70s...have kids changed? My partner and I have none.

I don't know if all kids have changed, but my kids are very different than dh and I were. I partied a ton when I was in HS and my early adult years, and dh was way worse than I was. My kids don't party, and yes I do know that for a fact LOL. Well 2 of my kids, I think my youngest may end up a little like me and dh, and I really hope it is a little.

Absolutely I would. Your son will learn a lot from being away from home and on his own for 4 days and will hopefully give him a new perspective on life, and if something bad happens then so be it, usually the worst thing that could happen is not what will happen.

Follow your instinct....the fact that you are asking on this board makes me think you are not comfortable with him going.

Even good kids can make bad decisions, especially in that kind of situation. Seriously, my husband was the valedictorian of his high school and he still did stupid risky things sometimes. Four days alone with no adults is asking for trouble at that age. I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
I would. Depending on their level of experience with camping. And with some stern reminders about the dangers (both people and environment)

When I was 15 a group of friends and I caught the train to a city 9 hours away to go to a festival (concert), we were away about 4-5 days (including the travel days. We all managed to stay alive.

In 2002, I had a son just older than 16. He went camping with friends. I am sure they may have done some drinking. Didn’t make me a grandma (it’s was years later before my dgds were born).

Today? I probably would.

I'm aware this is a zombie thread, and both my kids are beyond 16 now, but it's an interesting question nonetheless.
By 16, if my kids had given me no reason not to trust them and their friends, I would let them go.
My kids are not partiers. (Not saying they've never had a drink, they may have for all I know, but they're not risk-takers and had no interest in "fitting in" with that sort of crowd. They're friends were good, reliable, kids, hard working, decent grades, goals and plans.
Would I have worried just a little bit? Probably. But, I don't think it's fair to treat a teen like they're untrustworthy or an incompetent child when they are neither.

I wouldn't allow this either unless I knew at least some of those boys had practical experience in camping previously. Like if one or two of them were high level Boy Scouts I'd probably be ok with it. Maybe...

I would have trusted my own at 16. It's the friends that would have made me say no.

there are also tons of other campers around too.

As someone whose familt camped alot growing up (which is why Pumbaa_ now only likes hotels ;)), we often came across groups of guys away for the weekend camping. They drank heavily, cruised for chickies, and were often load and boorish.

This... my initial thought was this group sounds like a nightmare for other campers nearby. I can imagine that if they get loud or stay up too late, entirely possible for a group of 16 year olds, that it would cause others nearby to make complaints. And with no adult there to supervise, it might not end well.

In addition, I would question if its even permissible at the campground/state park. For any hotel, you need to be at least 18 to stay on your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter