2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey TJA,
Thanks for the post.
Question...was the bed comfortable?
Would you say it was the same as pre-renovation?
In the past our older teens have complained that the day beds were too hard.
Thanks, Anita

My 11 year old slept on the daybed and she said it was comfortable. She said she liked it just the same now as before renovation, so I'm not really sure if it's the same or if it changed. Her only issue is the A/C blows straight out directly onto the daybed, so she is always fairly cold in bed while we don't feel the A/C nearly as much in the regular beds.

Ok here we go, some pictures! We just returned from 7 nights at BC CL SV. Our check-in was smooth. As a lot of you know from previous posts, I booked a SV room because we were thinking it might be our best chance to get a daybed. Well it worked! We got the daybed. Unfortunately, we did not get our 2nd request - a full balcony - but we were just thrilled to have a daybed so I didn't say a word about it to the CM. We had a corner room, Room 5692, straight down the hall and immediately to the right. Right here:
View attachment 86346

Our daybed:
View attachment 86339

Inside room. The middle window/door led out to the standing balcony.
View attachment 86340

Here are VIEWS from all 3 windows/door. This one is from the daybed window:
View attachment 86344

This view is from the standing balcony:
View attachment 86343

This view is from the window where we could see the high fireworks:
View attachment 86347 View attachment 86342

If anyone has hints for me on how to get rid of all the extra images at the bottom of my post, let me know.:) I will add my room pictures to the room thread, but just wanted to post here too cause I know some people were waiting to see.

I love that room! We don't really care about having a balcony because we tend to hang out in the lounge when the kids are sleeping late. What I love is all the natural light because of all the extra windows!! I would love to have that room! Was it a quiet location (not too close to the lounge where people might wake us up talking early in the morning?

page 231-233

Better than the Pope Balcony anyway (only room to stand and bless and wave at the crowds below... :)). We did make sure the patio door was locked before leaving our rooms for the parks.

Jeanne

Just wanted to comment that I don't know if I have seen the small balconies called "Pope" balconies before. I like it!!! Especially this time of year!

:goodvibes:

Hellooo all my YC/BC friends :) I posted in the Club Level thread but figured somebody here might be able to help me out as well. We originally booked our stay for later this month using Orbitz for a GV room. I've been furiously stalking the Disney website for an AP discount for BC club level and yesterday was able to snag one, yay! I'm just a little worried about it being SV. I've read about some pretty bad (dumpster or all roof) SV rooms and was just wondering what people's experiences have been with the SV CL rooms. Is there anything I should request to get a better view? I did take a look at some of the room view photos on this thread, and they aren't so bad.. I have just heard some horror stories, so curious if there are specific rooms to avoid. Thanks guys! :)

As others have pointed out, I think the truly horrid views some have talked about are over at the YC. I don't mind looking at the parking lot or roof tops if I am staying in a Standard View room. I don't think I would enjoy a dumpster view.

:sad2:

In case you don't know you can get the bread pudding at Tambu lounge now! That was my plan until my husband wanted to eat at 'Ohana. Oh well I'm not complaining. At least you only have to wait until June, I have to wait until September!

That's some great info right there!!! I did not know that!

:thumbsup2

Woohoo! Just changed our discount from the summer one to the AP one and are saving $1300 on our trip! The AP pass one gave us an extra $300 on BC CL GV! :-) So happy!

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing the news!

:cool1:

Does anyone know if the candy scramble is still on Sunday at 9 am as in years past? Thanks!

Have I welcomed you here to the thread?

Just in case.

:welcome:

Just wanted to say thank you to Dee and everyone for all of the helpful info on this board! In 12 days I will be at Beach Club Villas for my 3rd stay and have always used the Disboards as my most valuable planning resource. So I truly want to thank everyone for taking the time to share. A huge thank you to Dee for all the hard work and time to maintain this happy place!!!

AWW!!!! Glad that you have found the info here helpful in your planning.

I appreciate your kind words.

:cool2:

I am starting to think about room requests at YC. We have booked a GV. When reading the info on page 1 of this thread about the rooms and views I read this : "Almost all of the rooms at the Yacht Club have a full balcony. A few rooms have extra large balconies that may be shared with another room". One of the reasons we booked the YC rather than the BC is for the balcony - we do use it a lot and it is important to us. Should I therefore put "full private balcony" as my first request? I wasn't banking on having to request anything relating to that but I would hate to get a juliet or share with someone! The only other things we are really bothered about is a good view (whatever that is!) and it being reasonably peaceful, :) We are happy to be a distance away from anything and everything. Should we just put those words as our second request or be more specific and ask for wedding gazebo view or something? I wouldn't want to put that and jeapordise a potential upgrade to a lagoon view or something.

As others have said, there is just one room we know about without a full balcony (CL, WV) and a very small minority (3 rooms, maybe) with the shared balcony. As much as I would dislike any of the rooms, I don't think I would make full private balcony one of my requests. I also don't think a request for gazebo view would impact the possibility of an upgrade.

Has anyone seen the "How to get the Disney World Resort Room You Want" article on WDW prep school? I liked the way they put what type of room request makes sense in a graphic view. Here's a link in case anyone is interested:

http://wdwprepschool.com/how-to-get-the-disney-world-resort-room-requests-views-rooms/

~Christine

Thanks for sharing this. I am going to check it out!

:goodvibes

Hello,

Does anyone know if the YC corner rooms have daybeds? Thank you!

I don't know. Which room feature is more important to you? Obviously, there are more rooms with daybeds than there are corner rooms.

Word your request "Corner room, please. Daybed if possible." or "Day Bed please. Corner room if possible."

:woohoo:

Today is a no park day so my hubby and I got our suits on and came down at 8:45 and stood in very short lines for the opening of SAB. I saw several families this morning come in and drop off personal belongings on chairs then leave. There has been absolutely no policing of this by the CM's. You would think it was a red flag when people come in normal clothes....or one person comes in with a bunch of stuff only to leave moments later. I am really disappointed in Disney that they do not have a CM on this issue during busy weeks. For the amount of money we are paying for a pretty simple room, you would think they could deal with this.
This kind of thing makes me mad. The lack of pool chairs for people who are actually at the pool is a real problem at times. And when people aren't stopped from reserving chairs in the morning, it only makes it worse for the people who are trying to find an open chair later in the day. I guarantee that if I see this happening when I am there next week then a letter will be sent to the manager. I might even take pictures, too.

I just helped a person using NINJAMOMS method and we took back a few unused chairs for her family. Yay us!
Yay, you! :thumbsup2

I don't know. Which room feature is more important to you? Obviously, there are more rooms with daybeds than there are corner rooms.

Word your request "Corner room, please. Daybed if possible." or "Day Bed please. Corner room if possible."

Thank you. There are 5 of us (3 adults and 2 children) for part of the reservation, so I'm assuming they'll have to give us a room with a daybed. I don't care about being close to an elevator, so I think I'll request "Upper floor, corner room if possible." Can I say nicest view available or is that silly since I booked a Standard View??

Today is a no park day so my hubby and I got our suits on and came down at 8:45 and stood in very short lines for the opening of SAB. I saw several families this morning come in and drop off personal belongings on chairs then leave. There has been absolutely no policing of this by the CM's. You would think it was a red flag when people come in normal clothes....or one person comes in with a bunch of stuff only to leave moments later. I am really disappointed in Disney that they do not have a CM on this issue during busy weeks. For the amount of money we are paying for a pretty simple room, you would think they could deal with this.

That is beyond rude! If I saw the people leave, I'd toss their stuff in a pile on the ground after about 30 minutes. The CM's should police it. We plan on spending lots of time at SAB in August and I won't be happy if all the chairs are taken!

Last edited:

I really like the serene atmosphere of the YC. Even at capacity the lobby has been peaceful and there are any places to grab a quiet spot. SAB is great and the location and proximity to EPCOT has been fun. We still have five full days of vacation left so I do not want to issue a full review yet. I always tend to miss our last resort the first few days and I am definitely missing VWL right now. But I have a feeling YC will grow on me.

Thanks for all the info! We're going to YC in August for 5 nights (followed by 5 nights at Poly). Most people seem to prefer BC but the YC "spoke" to me! Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Enjoy! Oh, and I've never stayed in the villas at WL but I've stayed at the hotel and loved it!

Wondering if anyone could answer a question about Cape May Café. Just looked at the menu on the Disney official site and no mention of crab legs on the dinner buffet. As I remember from the last trip, I thought they had crab legs were on certain nights. Now the menu only seems to indicate other seafood on certain nights. I thought when I made the reservation a month or so ago , I picked a night with crab legs. Anyone been there lately and know if they are still offering crab legs?

Wondering if anyone could answer a question about Cape May Café. Just looked at the menu on the Disney official site and no mention of crab legs on the dinner buffet. As I remember from the last trip, I thought they had crab legs were on certain nights. Now the menu only seems to indicate other seafood on certain nights. I thought when I made the reservation a month or so ago , I picked a night with crab legs. Anyone been there lately and know if they are still offering crab legs?

Aaahhh, the never ending crab leg confusion is back! Crab Legs are there, on the buffet. The menu on the Disney site is messed up. For awhile, they experimented with bringing crab legs to tables in buckets. That is now over and crqb legs are on the buffet.

Ok here we go, some pictures! We just returned from 7 nights at BC CL SV. Our check-in was smooth. As a lot of you know from previous posts, I booked a SV room because we were thinking it might be our best chance to get a daybed. Well it worked! We got the daybed. Unfortunately, we did not get our 2nd request - a full balcony - but we were just thrilled to have a daybed so I didn't say a word about it to the CM. We had a corner room, Room 5692, straight down the hall and immediately to the right. Right here:

Thanks for the pictures! We're booked in a CL SV at the BC. Super excited to see the new renovated rooms :lovestruc

Reactions: TJA
Don't worry, the crab legs are still there. We there at the end of February and they were there on the buffet table. :)

I love that room! We don't really care about having a balcony because we tend to hang out in the lounge when the kids are sleeping late. What I love is all the natural light because of all the extra windows!! I would love to have that room! Was it a quiet location (not too close to the lounge where people might wake us up talking early in the morning?

There was indeed a lot of natural light -- it really was a great room. Being that our room was in the corner, it didn't get a lot of foot traffic/people, so it was very quiet in that regard...BUT we have never stayed on that side of the BC before (we're usually on the water/pool view side) so the noises I heard were cars and buses and vehicles backing up (beep-beep-beep). However, my DH and 2 kids did not hear these sounds, and I'm a light sleeper by nature...

Thanks for all the info! We're going to YC in August for 5 nights (followed by 5 nights at Poly). Most people seem to prefer BC but the YC "spoke" to me! Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Enjoy! Oh, and I've never stayed in the villas at WL but I've stayed at the hotel and loved it!

We love the YC! It is quiet, yet relaxed. The buses pick up and drop off YC first. The full balconies are great, and the feel of the resort is so nice. I hope you love it as much as my family does.

We are here right now! We got in yesterday afternoon after a very long road trip from DE. We could not have gotten a more perfect room! Our first time at BC and I could not recommend this resort enough! We got a new, refurbished room, full balcony, daybed, and although I paid for a garden view, I have a water view as well! My kids are thrilled and I've been very impressed, minus one grumpy and tired young male CM in the Market Place, but he tried! So thrilled to be here!

Congrats on the water view and glad your stay is off to a good start.

Curious if you did online check in or in person. We would like to have a refurbished room this summer and wondering if online with upper floor request (hoping third floor might be done by then as well as 4th) would work or better off doing in person.

Of course if you are staying club level then the question is moot! Thanks for any insight.

page 231-233

Just wanted to comment that I don't know if I have seen the small balconies called "Pope" balconies before. I like it!!! Especially this time of year!

I know others call them Juliet Balconies, but on our very first visit to WDW way back in 1986, we stayed in the BC...and when they brought our luggage up to room (that was long before the Magic Express) the Bell Man called it a "Pope Balcony" so, to us, that's what it will always be...

:D

Jeanne

There was indeed a lot of natural light -- it really was a great room. Being that our room was in the corner, it didn't get a lot of foot traffic/people, so it was very quiet in that regard...BUT we have never stayed on that side of the BC before (we're usually on the water/pool view side) so the noises I heard were cars and buses and vehicles backing up (beep-beep-beep). However, my DH and 2 kids did not hear these sounds, and I'm a light sleeper by nature...

I'm exactly the same way! I hear everything:( When I showed the picture to my husband, I asked him if he thought the cars and buses arriving and leaving would wake me up. Maybe I should forget the natural light and request a room as far away from the hotel entrance as possible. Or maybe I should start watching for a garden or water view. They've been sold out for a while, but I didn't know I wanted one, so I haven't really been looking. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: TJA
page 234-235

Happy Eater!

Typing form the YC lobby this AM. We arrived Friday. I did the online check-in and while we were on the magical express, I was texted our room number. When we arrived we were greeted by name and still given a packet with all resort information then we went straight to our room and changed to go to SAB. We have a third floor garden room that is quite far from the lobby but we did get a day bed! The room is nice, I can see it has some wear in tear especially in the carpets, furnishings, and bathroom. But it is still very nice.

Taking a day off the parks today and will post more later. Really enjoying the location of YC and even full it has some very peaceful areas.

Thanks for letting us know about the start of your trip. Hope you continue to have a great time.

I'll address the SAB lounger/chair situation in a separate post.

Oh no! I will have to leave this thread :( A room opened up at the Poly so our TA booked us there (it was our first choice). Bye!!

I'll change the Be Our Guest listing. Wishing you a fantastic trip to Disney and a great stay at the Poly!

Of course, you are welcome to continue hanging around here if you so choose! Lots of folks still read and post on this thread even if they are staying at different resorts.

::yes::

I will add my room pictures to the room thread, but just wanted to post here too cause I know some people were waiting to see.

Thank you, thank you for the great pictures and description of your room!!!

Thank you. There are 5 of us (3 adults and 2 children) for part of the reservation, so I'm assuming they'll have to give us a room with a daybed. I don't care about being close to an elevator, so I think I'll request "Upper floor, corner room if possible." Can I say nicest view available or is that silly since I booked a Standard View??

I'm not sure that a request of nicest view available would be very effective. For one, view can be very subjective. I had a standard view of the parking lot, with a big tree right in my center view, but I could see the MK fireworks. I loved the view, others might not. Also, I'm not sure that the room assigners really have information about what the specific view is for each room.

:)

Chair Piggies- Tale as Old as Time...

Chair piggie.jpg

Thank you danceteachermom for your post about your experiences at SAB this weekend.

I would like to urge you, and anyone else who has experienced this happening to write to Disney's Guest Communications (with a copy to the Yacht & Beach Club resort manager) about your frustration with the lounger situation when you return from the trip. Specific examples like the ones danceteachermom noticed (families coming in at opening in street clothes or leaving right after dropping towels) would be especially helpful.

After you have returned home from your stay:

email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

or send a letter to:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
Executive Offices
Post Office Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830-0040

When you write or email, please include your name, address, phone number and email address.

If it is a comment specific to the Yacht & Beach Club, you can write to the General Manager of the resort (perhaps copy Guest Communications as well):
Mim Flynn, General Manager
Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts
1800 EPCOT Resort Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

*********************************************************************************

I am sure that there are enough loungers for those who want to use them while at the pool, but the problem is people want to be assured of getting a chair so they stake it out and "claim" it at times when they don't need it. This just feeds into more people doing this because it is the only way they think they will get a lounger.

Does anyone know what is out there for signs regarding reserving loungers? I thought someone provided me with a picture, but I can't find it at the moment.

I really wish there was a sign posted "Unattended belongings will be removed from loungers after an hour and will be stored in the recreation office for pickup" A recreation CM (not lifeguard) could be assigned to checking the lounger situation. He or she could go around to chairs with a little sticky pad, have the time they came by unoccupied chairs (say 11 am). Then they make another pass an hour later. If the note and items have not been touched, the CM removes both and brings them to the recreation office for pickup. I suppose there would be some liability or complaints with CMs touching personal belongings, but there would be "proof" of how long the people were gone when (if) they come to pick up their stuff.

********************************************************************************************

Do guests play "The Towel Game" at Stormalong Bay? How do I deal with "Chair Piggies?"

Here is Ninjamom's creative way of handling chair piggies...

Chair Piggies

********************************************************************************************

Happy Eater!

Typing form the YC lobby this AM. We arrived Friday.

My first experience at SAB was not too nice. I know it is a very busy weekend with the resort full but at 12 there was not even a regular chair let alone a lounge chair at the pool open. So many people just had towels and personal items on chairs. More than half of the chairs had no people in them. My family jumped in the water but all I wanted to do was lay in the sun first so I walked around for over a half an hour. I found one chair but as I went to put down my stuff a man said it was his daughters. I said there is nothing on it and no one is here....but then just walked away because I figured I did not want to sit there by him now. Then after about ten more minutes, I saw a chair and then another chair a few down so I called my husband over and said we have two chairs but not together. Put my bag on one and went to put my hubby's stuff on the other and the lady next to the chair said it was her son's and put a bag on it. We gave up and took turns with the four of us and one chair plus just sitting on the concrete. I was bummed. Then for the next TWO HOURS all that was on the chair was that bag. No one ever sat in it.

Things have gotten better since then.

So sorry to hear about the rudeness you faced!

:sad2:

Well as I said...it did get better after the first day. Yesterday we did MK in the AM and got back to the resort around 12. My family went to eat some leftovers in the room and I got off the bus determined to get a lounge chair so came straight to SAB. At first it was just like day one with no chairs but then a really nice family from Seatle saw me looking and offered one of theirs. They were so kind. So I just sat down and relaxed a bit with the plan of giving the chair to my hubby when he came down and returning after getting my suit on. But shortly after a regular chair opened near by and I moved it next to me. So our family of four took turns with the two chairs and had a blast. Later in the day a third opened up and our teenage daughter got her own chair. We never tried to get a chair for the 7 year old because he does not sit for long. It was a great day by the pool.

However I am typing this from SAB and having a blast. It is noon and I can see a few open chairs today so maybe the worst has passed. I know I am making a big deal out of chairs but relaxing poolside is a priority on our vacations. After the brutal MI winter we really look forward to the Florida sun.

I really like the serene atmosphere of the YC. Even at capacity the lobby has been peaceful and there are any places to grab a quiet spot. SAB is great and the location and proximity to EPCOT has been fun. We still have five full days of vacation left so I do not want to issue a full review yet. I always tend to miss our last resort the first few days and I am definitely missing VWL right now. But I have a feeling YC will grow on me.

I just helped a person using NINJAMOMS method and we took back a few unused chairs for her family. Yay us!

Glad you are making the best of it. Please write to Disney guest communications and to the resort manager when you are home from your trip. You have some really great examples of blatant chair saving that is impacting your enjoyment of the Yacht Club feature pool.

:crowded:

I'm sorry to hear that the "chair piggies" were out in full force. :( We've also seen that people have started to put personal items rather than just a towel on chairs, making it even harder to determine if that person is even at the pool.

Ninja Mom has the best advice. It basically involves taking stuff off a chair that appears to be abandoned and then picking up and moving that chair. Then they don't know who stole it when they return. It has the added benefit of them not being able to find you. :smooth: I've noticed that there are often chairs in the shady area by the YC side of SAB near the kiddie pool.

I'm really sorry you had this experience. I've never been to Disney at Easter because we try to avoid the busier holiday weekends, but I hope the crowds slow down a bit for you after some of the weekenders go home. Honestly, I have always been frustrated at numerous resorts when people leave their towels in the chairs when they leave. I understand saving chairs, but I hate it when I see nothing but a towel in a chair for hours!

:furious:

You made me laugh with the chair stealing technique, but I must admit that I'm going to be scared to go down the slide now out of fear that I might lose my chair! :) I will definitely be putting so much stuff in our chairs now that people will definitely want to choose another chair. But we do actually use our chairs.

:)

This kind of thing makes me mad. The lack of pool chairs for people who are actually at the pool is a real problem at times. And when people aren't stopped from reserving chairs in the morning, it only makes it worse for the people who are trying to find an open chair later in the day. I guarantee that if I see this happening when I am there next week then a letter will be sent to the manager. I might even take pictures, too.

Yay, you! :thumbsup2

Thank you!!!

That is beyond rude! If I saw the people leave, I'd toss their stuff in a pile on the ground after about 30 minutes. The CM's should police it. We plan on spending lots of time at SAB in August and I won't be happy if all the chairs are taken!

::yes::

Last edited:
Hey everybody
DH and I are staying at the BC for our 30th anniversary this summer. We have never stayed here before and am sooooo excited! Thanks to everyone on this thread who offer such helpful information. My question is I requested a king bed, I know there aren't many of them, but was wondering if anyone can tell me where they are located. We have a Standard view room and don't know if it's worth it to go to the garden view. TIA

Hey everybody
DH and I are staying at the BC for our 30th anniversary this summer. We have never stayed here before and am sooooo excited! Thanks to everyone on this thread who offer such helpful information. My question is I requested a king bed, I know there aren't many of them, but was wondering if anyone can tell me where they are located. We have a Standard view room and don't know if it's worth it to go to the garden view. TIA

:welcome: to this thread.

Would you like me to add you to the Be Our Guest list we keep on Page 1? When is your trip?

:woohoo:

I'm not sure where the king bed rooms are located or if there are more in any particular view category, so I don't think it is necessary to switch categories for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter