• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yuck On The Kid's Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.
... nothing anyone else says will change my opinion of that.
No problem with that -- I see no problem with you believing what you believe and me believing what I believe.

I'm not saying it's great for kids to eat a lot of sugar, but we are discussing desserts and that is known for having sugars.
That's really where the complexity comes into it. Its a bit like, "Four out of five dentist recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum." The doctors I've worked with have looked into the situation very carefully, and they see more hard evidence of harm to humans tracked back to the consumption of sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, etc., than they see hard evidence of harm to humans tracked back to consumption of saccharine and sucralose. (Note that I don't mention aspartame. That's another story.) They'd rather we eat neither sugar nor artificial sweeteners, but given the choice between the two, the hard evidence favors artificial sweeteners four their/my perspective.

But -- why would you ADD sugar to applesauce? :confused:
I was just saying that, in case someone was concerned that "applesauce isn't sweet enough to be a special dessert."

I don't get why Disney can't offer a small cookie, small rice crispy treat or something.
A small cookie seems like a good alternative, but the total number of choices necessarily needs to be kept minimal, to keep costs in line. Any changes Disney would make, in order for the changes to be responsible, necessarily must be neutral -- they cannot cost more than Disney would benefit from the changes. I think a small cookie would fit that requirement better than applesauce, but I bet Disney's decision to go with unsweetened applesauce is based on their knowledge of what we guests really want, or would prefer, between the two.

Again my biggest problem is I will have a nice choice of cake, etc and my kids will have jello or applesauce?
You're also paying almost four times as much as your child. Necessarily, your choices will be higher grade, and more varied, as a result.

I just miss the old menus.
I don't think there were specific child desserts back then. Aren't the child desserts specifically intended to satisfy the need for the low-cost dining options Disney has introduced over the last few years, including the Dining Plan and lower-cost child meals?

Just back from 9 days at Disney. We never had a kid meal where Jello was the only choice. In fact, I only remember seeing Jello at Pizzafari. I'm sure it was at other places, but it never caught my attention. Everywhere we dined had applesauce, grapes, ice cream, cookies, etc as the dessert choice. And if the kids are all desserted out, you can get a small bottled water at some places instead of dessert.

bicker:
I know I would be willing to pay one dollar more or even two to have a small cookie or piece of cake or rice crispy treat. No problem at all. I also think it is not to much to ask for Disney to have a choice of say apple sauce, jello or a sweet. (like a cookie or mini cupcake or all these) I am sure it would cover most bases and still be cost effective.

Yes in the past, the kids desserts were great. Just like the chocolate moouse in Canada, I am sure it doesn't cost much to make. The kids loved it. As creative as Disney is I know they can do better. The desserts were not just offered since the DDP. With six kids we had tried lots of them. And the choices were more too. I do understand Disney is trying to keep it as cheep as possible on there end and need to make money. I am not against that. Just seems a little yucky for the place that was so centered around children. Maybe Disney will pick up on this and make some good changes. I will say in the past, Disney seems to listen to its customers. I guess time will tell. I am sure when you are paying the moeny we are to come to Disney that paying a couple more bucks per child would be ok. I may be wrong, but I know we would.

Just back from 9 days at Disney. We never had a kid meal where Jello was the only choice. In fact, I only remember seeing Jello at Pizzafari. I'm sure it was at other places, but it never caught my attention. Everywhere we dined had applesauce, grapes, ice cream, cookies, etc as the dessert choice. And if the kids are all desserted out, you can get a small bottled water at some places instead of dessert.

Glad to hear that but I'm more concerned with the entree & appetizer choices. I just don't get mac & cheese & pb&j as meals at ts instead of normal food with veggies. We are 3 adults & 1 8yr old so I'm sure we'll have plenty of food to share, especially with 3 appetizers & 3 desserts at every meal but I don't think it would work well if the kids outnumbered the adults. In that case I think I would skip the meal plan & just order off the menu & split the adult meals between 2 or 3 kids. But maybe that's just me.

In that case I think I would skip the meal plan & just order off the menu & split the adult meals between 2 or 3 kids. But maybe that's just me.
I think a lot of folks under-estimate that option. It is often the best option given the circumstances. (It's not just you. :))

soru82:
Thanks for the update. I am so glad to hear that. The kids will be excited.

We have looked at not doing the dinning plan. Sometimes we do sometimes we don't. Because it is free and the numbers we are better off doing the plan. If I had to pay I would not do it yet....Until the kids are all over 9.....:scared1: It is hard for my family since we are out numbered by kids. Plus, remember all the "you can not share at Disney. Isn't that the same if you split an adult meal with the kids? After I buy two or three adult meals and add the extra drinks....it adds up to much $$$$$. Plus not doing the plan still doesn't change the options for the kids much.

I think we will be ok. I am hearing more and more about substitutions and such. I will be sure to let others know how it goes when we get back. I know we had no problems last Spetember. Everyone was so nice at letting the kids get whatever. I just know the rules have been more strict lately. We have spent some time picking where we are eating except for CS. Still working on those. I may have to buy a meal or two there but it will work out.

When it was just my husband and I (no kids trip) we purchased the plan. It was great for us. Loved it and would do it again. It was worth the money and then some. Just a little more complicated when you add kids to the deal.

I'm trying to think if we had a yuk moment. We just got home at 4:00AM so my brain is tired.

...but perhaps this thread can be left to discuss dessert choices, instead. :hippie:

The topic of this thread is not dessert choices, it is "Yuck On The Kids Menus". So, please, only discuss Yuck vs Yummy. Thank you for your cooperation. :rotfl2:

I really think it stinks that the choices are so limited, especially at the ts for dinner. There seems to be a sundae offered for dessert on evey menu but I'd rather see more soups, salads, & entrees.

Glad to hear that but I'm more concerned with the entree & appetizer choices. I just don't get mac & cheese & pb&j as meals at ts instead of normal food with veggies.

There are a lot of soups, salads, veggies, and normal entrees listed on the TS menus :thumbsup2 It really isn't just pb&j and mac & cheese -- those types of items are on the TS menus, but you'll also find things like:

50's PT: Grilled Fish of the Day served with whole-grain pilaf and veggies, Garden Salad, Meatloaf
Le Cellier: Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, Grilled Steak
Marrakesh: Beef Kabob
Rose and Crown: Shepherd's Pie, Bangers and Mash
Tempura Kiku: Shichi-Go-San - shrimp with fresh vegetables, dipped in a light batter and fried, served with steamed rice
Coral Reef: Smoked Fish Chowder or Lobster Soup, Grilled Chicken Breast served with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, Grilled Mahi Mahi served with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables
Concourse: Grilled chicken or Grilled steak
Maya Grill: Grilled Chicken Parmesan served with pasta, Fried Ravioli served with marinara sauce and french fries, Beef Tenderloin Tips served with french fries and corn, Fried Shrimp with french fries and raspberry dipping sauce
Olivia's: Grilled Fish of the Day - served with whole-grain pilaf and veggies
Whispering Canyon: All-you-care-to-Enjoy BBQ Skillet, Roasted Chicken Drumsticks with yukon gold mashed potatoes
Cap'n Jacks: Linguini Provencal served with diced tomatoes, basil, olive oil and Parmesan cheese
Raglan Road: Young Shepherd's Pie, Bacon Beag - Oven-roasted loin of bacon with a honey glaze served with braised cabbage and creamed potato

A small cookie seems like a good alternative, but the total number of choices necessarily needs to be kept minimal, to keep costs in line. Any changes Disney would make, in order for the changes to be responsible, necessarily must be neutral -- they cannot cost more than Disney would benefit from the changes. I think a small cookie would fit that requirement better than applesauce, but I bet Disney's decision to go with unsweetened applesauce is based on their knowledge of what we guests really want, or would prefer, between the two.

ITA. I'd like to know what company makes the SF gelatin (someone mentioned it isn't Jello brand) and find out if they also produce other dessert items in similar packaging (regular gelatin, regular and SF pudding, etc). Also, a small cookie or foil pouch of teddy graham type cookies would probably be a nominal difference in cost (especially if a company wanted to get business from Disney, they'd probably offer an attractive price for the huge volume Disney would purchase), and completely shelf stable.

I know I would be willing to pay one dollar more or even two to have a small cookie or piece of cake or rice crispy treat. No problem at all.

You are the mom with 6 little ones right? :) OK, maybe think about it this way...if you were willing to pay one dollar more per day per child to get better dessert options, that would be $6 a day; $2 more per day per child, that's $12. For about $1.60 you could buy each kid a chocolate chunk cookie at a snack stand or cart. For less than $4 you can buy huge rice krispy treats you could split between 3 kids, or a box of cookies, or a whole box of 8 donuts at several hotel food courts. So even though Disney doesn't offer the option to pay a little more for the dining plan to get better CS desserts for kids, an extra $1-$2 OOP per child would definitely cover a lot of treats.

sorul82?: Welcome back -- can't wait to read your trip report! :goodvibes Did the Reese's eggs survive?

I know I would be willing to pay one dollar more or even two to have a small cookie or piece of cake or rice crispy treat.

You're in luck then. You can get a chocolate chunk cookie from Mrs. Potts', Sunshine Tree Terrace, Scuttle's Landing, the Fountainview Cafe, Electric Umbrella, Sunshine Seasons, KRNR, or Dino Bite Snacks, generally for $1.59 but always for under $2.

Just like the chocolate moouse in Canada, I am sure it doesn't cost much to make.

*boggle* I take it you haven't ever worked in food service, have you? There's a lot of labor that goes into that mousse, and labor isn't cheap.

I am sure when you are paying the moeny we are to come to Disney that paying a couple more bucks per child would be ok. I may be wrong, but I know we would.

*shrug* Then pay your couple bucks more, and get what you want.

My ideal dining plan would involve, for each day: 2 pretzels, a bucket of popcorn, and a chocolate milk for my DD3, and a Signature / 2 credit TS meal with a Grand Marnier Slushie for me. Based on that, I conclude that the DDP probably isn't a good fit for me, not that Disney should change the plan to accomodate my preferences.

Katiebell, thank you! As a matter of fact, the eggs did survive! I did put them in the fridge, but we returned to 50 degree house. Who knew? :confused3

Back to the topic of apps and entrees: my kidlets had soups, salads, carrots; chicken, pizza, mini burgers, and much more.

allyphoe:
Did I hit a nerve with you or what. I never said Disney needed to change the menus for me. Never. Maybe you forgot to read all the posts. I am only stating my ideas on what would work for others who have had issues. It seems by other post that the options are not as limited as others have thought. Maybe Disney has already made changes.

As the owner of a bussiness I want feedback from my customers. After all without happy customers I would have no bussiness. If you do not agree then fine. Move on. I am sure that the chocolate moouse doesn't take much to make. We make it at home alot.

katiebell:
Thanks for the options. Yes, I am the one with all the little ones. As I have stated in my past posts we will purchase extras when needed for my kids. I was just making sugestions for a easy fix for me and others thats all. It is a pain to have to go through the line with two seperate cards and then pay for treats extra too. Again, as stated before, no biggy. We will work around it. But the plan could be made better for the kids in my opinion.

I can't think of any circumstance where I'm the customer where it couldn't be made better for me. That's really almost always a given, AFAIC. Anytime you're paying someone for something, you're already behind the eight-ball in that regard, since it could be made better by charging less or nothing at all. It sure is nice, however, thinking about how it would be if things really would be all unequivocally made-to-order, just for me! :lmao:

I selected our TS restaurant for both interest and kids and adult menus.DGS just chose a fruit cup over fries at Arby's , shocked me!! So hoping that grapes ,apples are offered instead of Jello which he wont eat s/f or not!!

Thanks for the options. Yes, I am the one with all the little ones. As I have stated in my past posts we will purchase extras when needed for my kids. I was just making sugestions for a easy fix for me and others thats all. It is a pain to have to go through the line with two seperate cards and then pay for treats extra too. Again, as stated before, no biggy. We will work around it. But the plan could be made better for the kids in my opinion.

Oh, absolutely, without a doubt it could be made better for kids -- and should be. Whether or not it will, who knows? But seems like menus change all the time -- they did before the DDP, and they will someday in the future when the DDP has gone the way of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the dodo :laughing: Hopefully, they will at some point change for the better.

But I've been saying since I started posting on these boards that I wish Disney would hire me to revamp their kids' meals :teeth: I would come up with options that would work for families that want healthy options, have allergy issues, are vegetarian, have kids that want plain, familiar foods, have kids that are adventurous eaters...don't know if I could please everyone, and not at every single restaurant, but I could please a lot more than are pleased right now, I bet ::yes:: AND stay within budget. AND SF gelatin would be an option for families that want/need that, but would not be the only choice.

But since that isn't gonna happen :rolleyes: I'll just keep looking for the best choices for kids I can find.

Katiebell:
That sounds like a good deal to me. Hey I've got six kids who could help. ;)

I guess you can never please everyone. Isn't that what makes the world go round?

If you've got room available in your signature, why not consider adding a link that post where you listed all (or many) non-boring options? That was a GREAT job!

Sorry, almost missed this. Thanks, kaytie :) I didn't want to link to the post because the menus change so often (the Cantina changed their kids menus since I originally got the info and I had to change my list), but maybe I can figure out how to do some kind of list to link to that I could update monthly or so. I'll ask a board moderator what would be allowed. I will be going back to work half time 4/12 (I've been off for a while due to surgery), so will have less time then, but I could probably update at least every month or so. Maybe I can do it once I come back from the world and my signature line doesn't have the ticker taking up space anymore :laughing:

But I've been saying since I started posting on these boards that I wish Disney would hire me to revamp their kids' meals :teeth: I would come up with options that would work for families that want healthy options, have allergy issues, are vegetarian, have kids that want plain, familiar foods, have kids that are adventurous eaters...don't know if I could please everyone, and not at every single restaurant, but I could please a lot more than are pleased right now, I bet ::yes:: AND stay within budget.
That's the real trick, and with all due respect, I think that'll be the part you probably cannot manage to do better than Disney: I doubt it could get much better without increasing costs. Those Disney folks are real pros -- the best in the business by far.

That's the real trick, and with all due respect, I think that'll be the part you probably cannot manage to do better than Disney: I doubt it could get much better without increasing costs. Those Disney folks are real pros -- the best in the business by far.

I raised three kids, my ex was on disability for an extended time (couple of years), I still managed to stay at home, homeschool the kids, keep the bills paid, and we lived well -- believe me, I know how to stay on budget :teeth: Seriously, though -- there are a lot of things they could do that would improve the kids meals and choices, with probably a very nominal cost increase, if any at all. For one thing, knowing the company that makes the gelatin is kozyshack is enlightening. For sure they should be able to provide regular gelatin as well as SF for the same cost. And they also make regular and SF puddings in a variety of flavors: rice, cinnamon raisin rice, tapioca, chocolate, vanilla, banana, butterscotch, coffee, and a couple of varieties of flan (which might be an interesting alternate option at Pirata y Perico or the Cantina). So just dealing with that one vendor, Disney could significantly increase the dessert choices. And calculating the same cost, they could surely find a vendor who would want the business and could provide small cookies or similar product.

If I was the Queen of Disney Dining, I would consider decreasing the cost of the DDP a bit, make TS dinners include appetizer OR dessert, and drop the desserts from the CS. That might even encourage people to buy the plan who think the cost is a bit high, or it's too much food. They still might order additional items OOP once they sat down to eat dinner. And the previous users of the plan should still be ok with it because the cost would be slightly lower, and if they wanted more, they would have a little extra money in their budget to buy extras OOP. Or I'd at least offer that as "Dining Plan Lite".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter