Yuck On The Kid's Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madi100

DIS Veteran
We did the dining plan when we went in December without children. We are now taking them in October and will again do the dining plan. However, the choices are just not very appealing for our children. While our dining will consist of variety each evening, my children are going to get sick of eating carrot sticks all the time. I do see that most of the places have something unique, but one option isn't enough. It makes it hard to enjoy a meal when my children aren't happy because of what they get to eat.

We did the dining plan when we went in December without children. We are now taking them in October and will again do the dining plan. However, the choices are just not very appealing for our children. While our dining will consist of variety each evening, my children are going to get sick of eating carrot sticks all the time. I do see that most of the places have something unique, but one option isn't enough. It makes it hard to enjoy a meal when my children aren't happy because of what they get to eat.

If I had kids 9 and under who ate a lot or wanted adult variety (mine are older but they did), I would plan on most of my TS meals being buffets. That's not what I would personally choose as my preference (DH and I are going alone, and only have two buffets scheduled -- Boma and CP breakfast, which is actually an extra we are paying for OOP). But for the sake of my kids, a buffet is really the best for them. They have all of the same choices adults have, and can eat as much as they want. I'd probably plan a late CS breakfast or early CS lunch (maybe at a place like Main Street Bakery or Pizza Planet in MGM that don't have kids' menus so they'd get the same choices as everyone else), then an early dinner about 5ish at a buffet. Then use the snack credit maybe around fireworks time. Once or twice I might schedule a regular sit down TS dinner, but I'd read the kids' menus in advance and make sure it's a restaurant they would be happy with, too.

Most Table Service restaurants have at least five choices on the kids' menu - the three "standard" meals, or a choice between two appetizers, two or more entrees, and two desserts (so it's not all carrot sticks).

That said, the Dining Plan does NOT work for everyone. If your children will likely not eat from the available kids' menus, you may be better served just paying for everyone's food out of pocket.

Most Table Service restaurants have at least five choices on the kids' menu - the three "standard" meals, or a choice between two appetizers, two or more entrees, and two desserts (so it's not all carrot sticks).

That said, the Dining Plan does NOT work for everyone. If your children will likely not eat from the available kids' menus, you may be better served just paying for everyone's food out of pocket.

I do agree, there are several choices at each TS restaurant. I believe what the OP was saying is that most of the choices are pretty ordinary and the same -- chicken fingers, mac & cheese, beef and macaroni, etc -- and with maybe one unique choice on the menu. And I understand her point -- one unique item isn't really a choice. But it is when you compare it to the other menu items. Maybe a kid won't want chicken strips every single night, but they might want them once or twice during the trip.

And it's also absolutely true that the dining plan won't work for everyone. I guess I'm just trying to let people know there really are options. If you have children and really want to do the dining plan (which can potentially save a family a ton of money), don't just look at a few kids meals and give up hope. There are creative ways to look at this, make sure your kids are happy with their meals on vacation, and still abide by the Dining Plan rules. :thumbsup2

I have just spent the last two hours going through menus with my kids. They are foodys! I have had a time. They love the 'old menus'. We are doing a lot of character meals but that kind of gets old. I only hope they bring a little more variety in. Last Sept the kids were great. Time will tell how they make out this Sept. I do hope we can sub something other then jello at the CS meals. They will not want that for sure. I know Disney is trying to be cost effective but man oh man. It stinks compared to what kids meals used to be.

I have just spent the last two hours going through menus with my kids. They are foodys! I have had a time. They love the 'old menus'. We are doing a lot of character meals but that kind of gets old. I only hope they bring a little more variety in. Last Sept the kids were great. Time will tell how they make out this Sept. I do hope we can sub something other then jello at the CS meals. They will not want that for sure. I know Disney is trying to be cost effective but man oh man. It stinks compared to what kids meals used to be.

Are you going to Boma? That's a buffet that has distinctly different offerings for both breakfast and dinner, and would give your kids a lot of different choices. If they can't get anything other than SF gelatin at CS, just toss it and use snack credits for their treats. They'll get something much better then anyway. :goodvibes

Yes, we are. That is one they wanted to try. I think they will like it. I think we will be ok. Some of the meals are small now compared to last year so we will just have to make it work. I just wanted to let them know it would not be the same as last Sept. I have found pictures to show them too so they will know what is up. I am sure we will be fine. Just not as good as before. Some of the places we enjoy we are not going to since the kids meals are not good. We are trying to eat around them. Which is ok.

As far as jello, thats what we planned, to just get them something else. I am not a fan of jello but they do get it every once in awhile. I just can't eat something good in front of them and sharing with six kids is hard. We may try to get carrots as a sub for us at CS instead of dessert.

And it's also absolutely true that the dining plan won't work for everyone. I guess I'm just trying to let people know there really are options. :thumbsup2
If you've got room available in your signature, why not consider adding a link that post where you listed all (or many) non-boring options? That was a GREAT job!

SF gelatin at CS,

WHAT??? They call SF gelatin healthy? I'm NOT putting fake sugar in my child. They have not proved that it is healthy or safe for kids! If the child is a diabetic, then sure - have at it - but otherwise there is no need for children to eat saccharine, aspartame or splenda! That's just WRONG.

Not sure what we'll do with DS at the world in October. He hates all veggies (literally chokes/gags on raw carrots - I think we have some tactile food sensitivities here as part of his sensory integration dysfunction) and is quite picky about meats. Loves STEAK (of all things! LOL) and hot dogs/corn dogs. He'll also eat pepperoni (but not pizza). Mac and Cheese is a hit and miss thing. Guess we'll be doing a lot of buffets too - or sharing our steaks if we eat at nice TS like Le Cellier.

That's just WRONG.
Please understand that reasonable people disagree about this. I can point you to a few debates we've recently had concerning it, if you wish, but perhaps this thread can be left to discuss dessert choices, instead. :hippie:

Regarding the dessert choices, in general, word is that applesauce is now available most places where Jell-o is. You can sweeten it however you wish. :thumbsup2

We rearranged our eating with the kids. Mostly buffet type meals so there was a large variety and maybe 1 or 2 actual sit downs that had options I knew they would eat. It can work out if you do some planning. Boma and CP were a big hit with our family. Good luck.

We have planned 4 sit-down (Mamma Melrose, Cap n' Jack, Whispering Canyon & Coral Reef) then the rest are buffets or all you can eat (1900 Park Fare, Princess Storybook, Chef Mickey & Ohana)

I see the place we will have trouble will be the cs meals. But I have researched and came up with places that she will like as well as us.

As far as jello, thats what we planned, to just get them something else. I am not a fan of jello but they do get it every once in awhile. I just can't eat something good in front of them and sharing with six kids is hard. We may try to get carrots as a sub for us at CS instead of dessert.

That'll work out then, because a lot of the CS dessert choices for adults aren't that good either.

I've never been really bothered by the lack of CS desserts for kids. Considering the amount of food available on the DDP, I really don't want dessert at lunch to be part of the equation. In fact, I usually don't bother with the dessert included for adults. While I'm a huge chocolate fan, I really can skip a packaged chocolate cake at lunch, knowing that we'll stop perhaps and have a great snack mid afternoon.

That said, we often split 2 adult meals between the four of us, thereby skipping the kids dessert issue. If my 4.5 yo wants a kids meal, then I'll get him one, and not take the gelatin offered. Not worth it.

My main issues have become the TS meals (didn't think they would but they have). We've found that none of the appetizers appeal to either of my kids (they don't eat any veggies at all and don't like the soup because of the floating parsley all over it). The main items are often repetitive and if you select an entree from the all inclusive items, you're stuck w/ veggie appetizer and perhaps yogurt for dessert. Not what they enjoy. But often the pick your own items are also repetitive...m&c (my older one thinks this is just too gloppy), burger over and over. We enjoy LeCellier because he can get steak, like WPC because of the great pizza.

We're booked for free dining in August under the bounce back promotion offered late last year. However, I'm watching for a decent AP rate and if it's good enough, we might dump the free dining and take that instead, upgrading our hotel and purchasing our food OOP and offsite. My older son has stated that he's perfectly happy if we do that, hitting familiar restaurants off property for dinner. We might even split our trip and hit US for a few days (yes, I know, sacriledge but they are getting older) which would mean less days for DDP.

Some research showed me that AP rates have been in the range of $70/night off deluxe, which would bring my chosen hotel (BC) down to just about what I'm paying for WL including free dining. If that's the case, I'll just keep free dining and supplement my older son's meals with some other choices. The cost would not be much per day. The other option is upping him to adult status (he'll be 10 next February and we won't be back before then) and paying the adult price for the 1 day ticket, thereby getting him adult free dining status. Since we have APs, we would save the ticket towards a future purchase.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of offers come along.

Please understand that reasonable people disagree about this. I can point you to a few debates we've recently had concerning it, if you wish, but perhaps this thread can be left to discuss dessert choices, instead. :hippie:

Regarding the dessert choices, in general, word is that applesauce is now available most places where Jell-o is. You can sweeten it however you wish. :thumbsup2

Haven't seen 'em (the threads you mentioned) and untill my son's pediatrician says it's HEALTHY for a child to eat chemicaly created sugar substitues (without a medical need) nothing anyone else says will change my opinion of that. I'm not saying it's great for kids to eat a lot of sugar, but we are discussing desserts and that is known for having sugars.

But -- why would you ADD sugar to applesauce? :confused: We buy unsweetened applesauce for our son and he loves it! It's sweet enough without the manufacturers adding sugar (and I kinda figure that the stuff they give you with meals will already be sweetened by said manufacturers) - but to add sugar at the table? YIKES! (cinnamon, sure :thumbsup2 - but not sugar! :eek: )

I'm excited to hear that DS will be able to get his own steak at Le Cellier!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: (assuming things don't change between now and October...)

TravelinGal:
SHHHHHH. Don't say it. I am also worried the selections will change and go down hill. My kids liked getting the grilled chicken at LeCelliar. That is gone now. Not to mention the chocolate moouse.

I do not like artificial sweetners either. I do think all things in moderation. I do not understand the debate on it though. For those who like jello then you are in luck. You will have more jello then you can ask for. For those who don't like the product then we will have to hope for a substitution. If you love artificial sweetner then great. Eat it. If you don't then their should be another option. I don't get why Disney can't offer a small cookie, small rice crispy treat or something. Apple sauce is fine with us....hold the sugar. Again my biggest problem is I will have a nice choice of cake, etc and my kids will have jello or applesauce? I have six kids so that is a lot of sharing to do. I just miss the old menus. We have selected our places to eat for our TS. I am still concerned about CS. We are working on that now. Even if you don't do the DDP, the menus for children are still stinky.

I am hoping with the extra planning, and if Disney doesn't take away more then we will be ok.

Applesauce & even sugar free JEllo are ok but not every day for a week. There's really no need for dessert at every meal but the appetizer & entree choices are also very limited, practically the same chaoices at every restaurant. I really think it stinks that the choices are so limited, especially at the ts for dinner. There seems to be a sundae offered for dessert on evey menu but I'd rather see more soups, salads, & entrees.

isnt salad an appetizer everywhere
I know my kids wont want that

we have done the ddp the last 5 trips and loved it but are worrying aboutds7 and what he will eat. I know last year we went to pizzafari and he couldnt get pizza he had to get cheese things.
anyone know where to find kids menus online?

Always on vacation:
I agree with you. Even the TS dessert are not near like they used to be. I guess for those who kids only eat nuggets and mac n cheese, they will be ok. We have worked hard on the ADRs and think we will be fine. We have had to give up some of our fav places though due to the choices. And we are eating at more buffets for the kids. This is not what we want to do but I think it will work better for them. So, some of the CS meals are very small. Plus for those who share with two kids that is great. We just have six kids so it makes it a little harder to strentch our meals with them. It just stinks to see the meals change for the worse. It seemed like the choices used to be so much better. I am sure it is hard for Disney to please everyone. Maybe they will continue to make changes but make them for the best and not take away.

I always look at the menus on Allears.net. I also show picture to the kids form the Dis so they will know what they are getting. Or at least have an ides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter