Worst meal of my life!

We really liked 1900PF for dinner last October and went again for breakfast in January. Like others have said it's a buffet and we went for the character experience. To me 1900PF is just not a wine type of place. I think of Le Cellier or other for that type of experience. 1900PF is trying to puch families with kids through the restaurant as it has become the other CRT.

In general, I think it is always a hit or miss with buffets. We went to CP in 2005 and loved it -- it was just so-so in 2006. Will try again this year because of the characters. We did not like Coral Reef last year mainly due to the server but we are trying again this year. All ears net has reviews for each restaurant and I refer to them before picking any of restaurants.

We went on our first trip to WDW in December. After reading the reviews on the site I thought the food would be great, but I was somewhat disappointed. I think eating at Disney is all about selection. We ate 6 dinners and lunches and were not on the DDP. Some of the food quality is quite low and the prices are very high, but you have to already expect that when you go. Ohana's was our very fav restaurant. We will go there again this year. Great food and defiantly worth the money. Boma and Jiko were also really good. I suggest only eating at resort restaurants. The food in the park did not seem to be as good.

Oh no, oh no I'm planning on going to the Grand Floridian Cafe (while 1900 Park Fare is remodelled) on our Sept trip. I've always wanted to go to the Grand Floridian & thought this would give me an excuse. I'm kind of a foodie. Am I going to hate this? Should I switch to Chef Mickey's for our character buffet? And just ride the monorail to see the Grand Floridian? Honesty, please, bad service is my dh's #1 pet peeve & I'm a baker for a living.

did I miss something? I didn't see the review for the grand floridian cafe? just 1900 park fare?

just made an ADR at GFcafe b/c the menu seemed to appeal to both DH and I? anyone have a review?

Oh no, oh no I'm planning on going to the Grand Floridian Cafe (while 1900 Park Fare is remodelled) on our Sept trip. I've always wanted to go to the Grand Floridian & thought this would give me an excuse. I'm kind of a foodie. Am I going to hate this? Should I switch to Chef Mickey's for our character buffet? And just ride the monorail to see the Grand Floridian? Honesty, please, bad service is my dh's #1 pet peeve & I'm a baker for a living.

We've eaten at both CM and Park Fare, and IMHO, the food at PF has always been a step above CM. Also, the food at PF seems to be more adult than CM. We only go once a year, so I can't vouch how the food has been recently. No matter which buffet you choose, the food is not going to be as good as if you go to Le Cellier, etc. The real attraction is the characters. We really don't worry too much about the service, cause other than drinks, we are pretty much serving ourselves at buffets. Since the food will be preplated while PF is being refurbed, I'm hoping it will be fresher and tastier.

BTW, did you get my pm? Are you still passing coffeemaker to me, or not bringing it? Fridge swap says coffeemaker is available after 9/21??? We are arriving 9/7.:yay:

did I miss something? I didn't see the review for the grand floridian cafe? just 1900 park fare?

just made an ADR at GFcafe b/c the menu seemed to appeal to both DH and I? anyone have a review?

If it is during the time 1900PF is being remodelled it will be the 1900PF buffet instead of it's regular menu thus my concern over the food discussion of the 1900PF & service.

I think it is always hit or miss when you eat at Disney. One day you can go to a restaurant and the food is fabulous and the next days it's horrible. However, after a horrible experience I will give a place another try, just to see if the staff was having a bad day=, etc (Yes even CM's have bad days, I'm sure)....As an example, 2 years ago we went o O'Hana's for BReakfast and had the worst waiter. He tried charging us for DS who was 23 months old at the time adn then poured HOT COFFEE on my then 76 year old father and laughed about it:sad2: At the time we swore we'd never go back there. However time and stitch (?) put things in perspective. DS (1 week shy of 4 when we go in August) LOVES Stitch, so we are going to give O'Han's another try...Wish us lucK

canuckmom,

Really sorry you were flamed on one of your first few posts! I agree with you that the places you dined at were not the best. I also agree that in a hotel of the caliber of Grand Floridian even the buffet should be good. I can excuse the food in the parks, as well theme park food. But when dining in the hotels I do expect something a bit better.

I do have to say that I am confused as to how you ended up eating at almost every one of what we consider to be the "worst" places in WDW. Add in the ABC Commissary & you would have our list of DON'TS.

I really hope this does not sour your Disney experience & you will give WDW and the dining there another try. WDW really does have a lot of really good food & dining options, even in the parks.

We avoid buffets and all you can eat plated meal places at WDW and elsewhere. Can't stand 'em.

But, I certainly don't believe anyone should blame the victim by saying the OP chose wrong. Good grief!

Instead, blame Disney for serving what sounds like awful food (we wouldn't know as we've avoided any buffet for years). We did break down and try 'Ohana a couple of years ago against our better judgment as a result of all the raves on these boards. 'Ohana was the final straw. Thereafter, we swore off all buffets and all you can eat spots forever.

Do I even need to express my "delight" that Tusker House will now be a buffet. Gees!

People around here are passionate about their restaurant likes and dislikes. It's pretty much all in the delivery...I don't think people have a problem with others opinions. Perhaps it's statements that feel as though they are attacking the restaurant itself instead statements describing your experience on that particular night. It gets people's dander up! So much of the Disney experience is in the food and the atmosphere of the different restaurants for many families. They hold their memories of those places dear...so it can be upsetting to have someone say how much the location of their dear memories SUCK...y'know what I mean?

This is a great forum for restaurant reviews and information. You just have to be aware that One Dis-ers YUCK is another's FABULOUS! :laughing:

except for ABC Commissary...that place is just plain YUCK!;) :rotfl2:

...ABC Comissary in MGM....because you really have to work to mess up breakfast, right?) ... I'm not sure what the breakfast sausage was made of, maybe muppets? Nasty!!!
Actually, it seems like the Muppets are the ones making the breakfasts at ABC Commissary...:woohoo: another reason we tend to eat TS.

Our family loves breakfast & all your comments are making me decide to eat TS or granola bars & bananas in our room. I don't want yucky Muppet sausage. Made BY or OF Muppets.

Our family loves breakfast & all your comments are making me decide to eat TS or granola bars & bananas in our room. I don't want yucky Muppet sausage. Made BY or OF Muppets.

I keep envisaging the Swedish chef out the back cooking the less popular characters. Has anyone actually seen Robin recently?

Hi CanuckMom

I just read through your post. I AGREE!! We went to 1900 Park Fare once for breakfast, once for dinner. HORRIBLE. We will never go again. For the $$...........

Another place we tried a couple of times and will never go back to is Crystal Palace. HATE IT. The first time we went just b/c of Pooh. Several trips later we were so hungry so we gave it a second chance. The food is unrecognizable. And the tables, carpet were sticky and dirty both times.

We went to CRT for breakfast once. The waiter made my husband so angry I don't even mention that place in polite company. The servers need to be trained in sensitivity. Some people don't appreciate insulting humor.

My kids eat healthy. I have 3 children. They choose grapes over french fries. None of us are big sweet eaters. So we like Garden Grille in Epcot, 50's PT in MGM b/c my children like the chicken soup. We eat breakfast in the villa, lunch at the hotel b/c my children like the fruit and yogurts. For dinner we like the Epcot restaurants. We do like to eat! We just try to stay on our regular eating routine.

My family really dislikes 1900 PF. The strawberry soup everyone raves about I think tastes like strawberry yogurt.

Without fail, EVERY TIME I have been to 1900 Park Fare, someone's child has thrown up that strawberry soup. This is usually near the bathroom or in the bathroom, if they can make it there fast enough. I have no idea what's in this soup, but I find it strange that this happens so much.

Speaking of that strawberry soup........it reminds me of the green beans at MGM's 50's PT Cafe. Has anybody ever actually eaten them?

The servers make a big "deal" out of everyone at the table eating their veggies. Once when we were there the server was picking on the family next to us and actually took the Dad's fork, stabbed some green beans, made that airplane sound and forced Dad to eat them. That really upset my kids (they were young at the time) They were afriad she'd make them eat them. And they are horrible. So my husband scooped everyone's green beans into a paper napkin and sneaked into the men's room to throw them away in the trash can. When he returned he was laughing and said the trash can in there was FULL of green beans.

I have seen plenty of reviews on the DIS - that are negative and have never been attacked :confused3 I think it's down to the way the poster words their review rather than what is being said, which gets people fired up.

I don't think people were attacking you here for makiing "bad" choices, merely pointing out what Joh suggested - that they were simply saying that the handful of establishments you visited does not reflect the quality of the food at WDW as a whole. I know it's easy to come across in a totally different way than what is meant on the internet.

It sounds like you had really bad luck, and as someone else pointed out, it is these restaurants which you mention often get the worst reviews here on the DIS. Perhaps this is what other members meant when they said you had made the 'wrong' choices? I really hope you have better luck next time you go!

You can't win them all I suppose. Good thing Disney has so many great restaurants.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion!:) We're booking 1900 Park Fare for our Xmas vacation. Thanks for the feedback, but we're going there to see (well, I'm not, the kids are) Cinderella. I agree to a certain extent that Disney's food isn't all that great, esp. for the price. But honestly, we go to Disney for the attractions, not the food. It's 6 months away, but I'm already bracing myself for constant whining about the food from the picky people in my life! Maybe next time will be better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter