Worst meal of my life!

Canuckmom, a word of advice. When you go back to Disney World, stay far far away from the ABC Comissary in MGM. We went there for breakfast(because you really have to work to mess up breakfast, right?) and I ending up throwing most of mine away. I'm not sure what the breakfast sausage was made of, maybe muppets? Nasty!!!

I realize there's a few on these boards that are genuinely interested in all reviews, negative and positive, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to just look around and see what happens to folks who post something about a negative experience, whether it be the DDP, WDW's babysitting services, one of the hotels, a service issue, a meal. It always gets turned around to being the customer's fault, never WDW's fault.

:love: But love is blind and lovers cannot see...

Hi,

I never for a moment considered 1900 Park Fare as a fine dining experience. But bad food -- buffet or not -- deserves to be addressed. I thought this forum might be a place where people posted honest opinions about their Disney experiences. I didn't realize it was a forum for uniformly positive reviews. I for one would have liked to have seen a posting about how this restaurant measures up. The opinions here must make the food and beverage people very happy.
In any case, I will always return for my Disney holiday, I'll just look elsewhere for my reviews.

LOL, top marks for comedy value, bottom marks actually reading the forum....and even the replies to your own post! No one said that the bad experiences were your fault...infact they agreed that the restaurants you ate at are not the best.

I love O'Hana's but have read reviews here that wreck the place. I hate Chef Mickeys, but have read reviews putting it up there will Victoria & Alberts. The point is that there are alot of varied opinions here, but as with any discussion board not everyone is going to agree with you.

...Second in horrors was the appalling waiter who within minutes of approaching our table had suggested we ditch one or both of our kids so we could enjoy ourselves more (at Disney, why did he think we came there if not to have fun with our kids), as well as tell us that he got his father in free but only gave his mother a 35 percent discount (so a kid-hater and a mother hater -- this guy was two for two). Anyhow, after we ordered a bottle of wine he brought it to the table and...just left it there, unopened, with no glasses. We then watched him go get some glasses and then stop at not one but two other tables to show them his gold Mickey ring. We were left with no water and our rapidly warming Pino Grigio. ...

I think we had the same guy, TWICE! Dark hair, kind of Italian looking? Not too tall? It's the thing we remember about dining at 1900 Park Faire. We were thinking of eating there in Nov until we thought of him. We thought the food was pretty good, though, both the breakfast and dinner. They used to have different foods on both sides of the buffet instead of the same on both side. Like all the salads and vegetables on the right and meats and desserts on the left, plus additional desserts at a table outside the food area.

But, by the title of your thread, I was sure you were talking about Big River Grill or Rainforest Cafe. Talk about terrible.

How odd to excuse a bad restaurant by blaming the diner for making a poor choice -- particularly in WDW's flagship resort.
I really believe what Sandiesmom's pointed out: it's food for the masses and not fine dining whatever establishment you choose.
You don't go there for the food anyway.

I was agreeing with you. The three restaurants you identified were among the worst we've ever experienced and I thought it was amazingly bad luck to go to all three in one visit to WDW. I guess I should have said you "went to" poor restaurants instead of saying you "selected" poor restaurants. I won't try to agree with you anymore.

I'm not sure what the breakfast sausage was made of, maybe muppets? Nasty!!!

OMGoodness, I need to clean off my keyboard now. That is the funnies thing I've read today. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We just got back from our trip last week. Funny...Park Fare was one of our favorite meals. Our server was a peach, and we thought the food was great! We're pretty picky, too....we're generally not fans of chain restaurants or anything, and I consider myself pretty much a "foodie"....I digress....

I thought the Strawberry soup was YUMMY....the mushroom ravioli were fantastic, the salads were great, and the only thing I was lukewarm over was the prime rib. The dessert selection could have been better too...but all in all, everyone in my family loved this place and has asked to go back next trip! (and I have two boys....believe me, they don't want to go back for Cinderella!:rotfl: )

It's funny how people can have extremely different experiences!

Sorry for your bad experience. I have never tried this place so canot give any info on whether this was possibly an "off night" for them. One thing that is certainaly undoubted here is the poor service that was offered. That had nothing to do with food prep but everything to do with overall satisfaction. Poor service is all too often the norm these days in many locations.

My family really dislikes 1900 PF. The strawberry soup everyone raves about I think tastes like strawberry yogurt.

I've read lots of reviews on this board, and maybe I've been very fortunate (which might sound like a weird adjective to use for what I'm about to say), but I've never read only positive reviews. On any given day, I think I can quickly find a post that negatively reviews some of the restaurants. Two of our favorites, Teppanyaki and Coral Reef, get blasted on what seems like a daily basis.

That being said, there are definitely times when people replying could be nicer, or at least more compassionate, with their responses. I encourage you to stick around and keep reading the reviews. You'll get a full helping of good AND bad around here.

Food tastes are subjective, and the Canuck had some valid issues about dislikes. For me, I've always disliked Biergarten. It just never appealed to me, no matter if I gave it another chance on a different trip, so I avoid it.

And to put things into perspective, it's very difficult to get consistency in food even before the DDP came into effect. I can use Akershus as an example. Ten years ago, I absolutely LOVED Akershus. The buffet had both hot and cold items to choose from. Then, a few years ago, Akershus took the hot items off the board and only served big honkin' plates full of the hot items upon request. I found it wasteful. Then they took this restaurant and made it Princesses for breakfast...and now all Princesses, all the time. I don't think I'll be returning to Akershus.

Other restaurants have tinkered with their menus. I've found that when I first tried Flying Fish, it was one of my best dining experiences. Then a couple of years later, it was one of my worst. Chefs have moved around from restaurant to restaurant, and you can tell if a restaurant became wonderful "overnight".

There are still quite a few places I have on my favorites list, but I'm discovering that some signature dishes on the menus have dropped off due to the DDP. I find that sad.

I also find the food in Disney to be not that great. Park Fare I have found to be the worst. Last year are whole group got up and left. We will not go back there. Boma is one of my favorites.

Food tastes are subjective, and the Canuck had some valid issues about dislikes. For me, I've always disliked Biergarten. It just never appealed to me, no matter if I gave it another chance on a different trip, so I avoid it.

And to put things into perspective, it's very difficult to get consistency in food even before the DDP came into effect. I can use Akershus as an example. Ten years ago, I absolutely LOVED Akershus. The buffet had both hot and cold items to choose from. Then, a few years ago, Akershus took the hot items off the board and only served big honkin' plates full of the hot items upon request. I found it wasteful. Then they took this restaurant and made it Princesses for breakfast...and now all Princesses, all the time. I don't think I'll be returning to Akershus.

Other restaurants have tinkered with their menus. I've found that when I first tried Flying Fish, it was one of my best dining experiences. Then a couple of years later, it was one of my worst. Chefs have moved around from restaurant to restaurant, and you can tell if a restaurant became wonderful "overnight".

There are still quite a few places I have on my favorites list, but I'm discovering that some signature dishes on the menus have dropped off due to the DDP. I find that sad.

But Briar I thought people only went to Akershus to hunt down mermaids?:)

I generally don't care for buffets, esp. when on the dining plan (you don't get the $ worth) but I DID like Beirgarten, but my hubby did not. we both LOVED Boma. never tried 1900 park fare. we are hoping man yof the nicer places don't become character buffets (let's leave some fine dining for those of us without kids).
we love coral reef (blackened catfish is great) and Le Cellier. Maya Grill at Coronado resort is great! we heard many bad reviews of Big River Grille at the Boardwalk, but tried it anyways, due to convenience. we should have listened to the reviews. bad, bad bad. the sauce on my ribs was ok, but they were tough. the atmosphere was like a bad cafeteria. we did not care for shutters(at CBR). hubby's steak was tough, and I did not care for the sauce on my prime rib.
the BEST counter service, in our opinion, is Flame tree BBQ at AK. yummy! great ribs and baked beans!
coronado Springs: great for the dining plan in terms of counter service meals, but TERRIBLE for snacks and/or desserts. for a dessert, they only let you get a cookie or a muffin!!! no ice cream, carrot cake, etc. who wants a muffin for dessert? at POFQ, you can get begnuitts (spelling?) for a snack! yummy!
happy food hunting, all! please, keep sharing your reviews, good or bad; that's how we all learn, and that's how they improve!!!
(BTW, hubby and I have mixed reviews on capt jacks. I LOVED the crab cake appetizers and my lobster tails. but, his steak was blah and tough (I tried it myself). AND they charged us for 4 TS meals instead of 2, which we didn't realize till the end of our trip:scared1: caused a big hassle!

I have to agree with not going to be returning to 1900 Park Fare again too. We tried it in '05' and thought it was great. But when we went again in '06' it was not. The service was slow and the food was not very good at all. We were the first in there so it was not like we had the end of the food left. I went to the meat carving twice and no one was there , so I helped myself. I also did not know what time the place opened , we had a 4:30 ADR and we waited a very long time in line to check in and then for the place to open.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest