• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst meal of my life!

canuckmum

Earning My Ears
We (me, hubby, son 13, daughter, 10) just got back from five days of Disney vacation. We had a fabulous time except for the appalling food. My first day I was envious of people with the DDP but after a few meals I was high-tailing it out of the park to eat.
Our first dinner was a character dinner at 1900 Park Fare. This was by far the worst buffet I have ever had the misfortune of eating. Second in horrors was the appalling waiter who within minutes of approaching our table had suggested we ditch one or both of our kids so we could enjoy ourselves more (at Disney, why did he think we came there if not to have fun with our kids), as well as tell us that he got his father in free but only gave his mother a 35 percent discount (so a kid-hater and a mother hater -- this guy was two for two). Anyhow, after we ordered a bottle of wine he brought it to the table and...just left it there, unopened, with no glasses. We then watched him go get some glasses and then stop at not one but two other tables to show them his gold Mickey ring. We were left with no water and our rapidly warming Pino Grigio.
On the the food. The only edible thing here is the prime rib which is kind of hard to screw up. The parmesan potatoes had good flavour but had been whipped into a glutinous mess. Rubbery mussels in a non-descript red sauce, salty greasy zucchini (but crisp tender so someone knows how to cook just not how to season), caesar salad had a nice dressing but had been left to reduce to a soggy mess, pasta with the same kind of sauce on the mussels I think but exuded a lava flow of oil on your plate. The famed strawberry soup looked and tasted like a melted bad strawberry milkshake. It's a wonder anyone can swallow it.
Lunch at the Backlot at MGM -- good greens in salad but drowned in too vinegary dressing. Awful. Greasy turkey and red pepper grilled sandwich.
Lunch -- Nine Dragons at Epcot -- reminds me of small town Ontario Chinese food but with an mind blowing price tag.
Lunch at El Perico -- the only decent thing I ate all week was the rice and beans side dish that came with my son's taco. Doctored up with a bit of cheese, greens and salsa and it was very tasty. Can't say the same for the taco.
Was really hoping to eat at the Noodle Station in MK but it was not open for lunch.

It's not in my nature to be so negative but the food is a great part of travel for me and I can't say that I had anything at Disney to justify the price, or convenience of eating in the park.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. There are some restaurants that I have avoided however 1900 park fare was never one of them.

Sorry you had a bad experience. You selected poor restaurants. I would agree with your assessment of the food. The waiter wouldn't have bothered me (except for leaving before you got your wine) as I enjoy wait staff that joke around a bit -- even about their moms and kids.

Too bad you didn't choose good restaurants. Chef Mickey's would have been a better character buffet for you. Le Cellier (or just about anywhere else at Epcot) would have been more enjoyable (Nine Dragons always has room when you're trying for an ADR -- You now know the reason). And Pecos Bill's is a better CS choice than El Perico.

Don't let this experience throw out all of Disney. There really are some outstanding restaurants at WDW. Hope you find them next time.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your meals more. Especially Cinderella's Gala Feast. I have been there twice, and really enjoyed it. princess: If you are looking for fine dining at Disney, you really need to search it out. Most of the food is good, but not outstanding. But when you think about the huge crowds they feed, then I guess they really don't have the time(or the inclination) to be great.

If you are going to Disney World strictly for the food, have you thought about going during the Epcot Food & Wine festival? Lots of nummy bite-sized treats from little stands set up all around World Showcase. You might enjoy it!

I agree.. poor dining chioces pretty much. We have always like Park Fare but with any buffet.. things can go bad fast. The rest of the places I have been to once and have never been back. Its too bad that you went thru all the effort and went away with such a bad impression.

Thanks for sharing your reviews, sorry you didn't enjoy your food. As far as making bad choices, I don't really agree with that although I do agree there are better WDW restaurants out there. I've eaten dinner at 1900 Park Fare and Nine Dragons and enjoyed them both. :)

How odd to excuse a bad restaurant by blaming the diner for making a poor choice -- particularly in WDW's flagship resort.
I really believe what Sandiesmom's pointed out: it's food for the masses and not fine dining whatever establishment you choose.
You don't go there for the food anyway.

How odd to excuse a bad restaurant by blaming the diner for making a poor choice -- particularly in WDW's flagship resort.
I really believe what Sandiesmom's pointed out: it's food for the masses and not fine dining whatever establishment you choose.
You don't go there for the food anyway.

Welcome to the DIS. :)

I don't think anyone is blaming you for your choices. Instead the reality is that if you choose buffets and counter service you will not experience fine dining. I would think the same is true in Ontario.

As for the flagship resort, GF has four restaurants that serve very good to excellent fare....GFCafe, Citricos, Narcoosee's and especially Victoria and Albert's. 1900 is a character buffet.:confused3

Good luck next trip. If you want fine dining, try the signature reataurants and some of the mid range resort restaurants.

Thanks for the reviews.

Hi,

I never for a moment considered 1900 Park Fare as a fine dining experience. But bad food -- buffet or not -- deserves to be addressed. I thought this forum might be a place where people posted honest opinions about their Disney experiences. I didn't realize it was a forum for uniformly positive reviews. I for one would have liked to have seen a posting about how this restaurant measures up. The opinions here must make the food and beverage people very happy.
In any case, I will always return for my Disney holiday, I'll just look elsewhere for my reviews.

Hi,

I never for a moment considered 1900 Park Fare as a fine dining experience. But bad food -- buffet or not -- deserves to be addressed. I thought this forum might be a place where people posted honest opinions about their Disney experiences. I didn't realize it was a forum for uniformly positive reviews. I for one would have liked to have seen a posting about how this restaurant measures up. The opinions here must make the food and beverage people very happy.
In any case, I will always return for my Disney holiday, I'll just look elsewhere for my reviews.

You're quite obviously new to posting here, although I'm not sure how long you've been a member and whether you've had time to look around. If you take the time to read a few posts, you will find negative - and even bad - reviews. However, the one thing I always consider whenever I read a reviews is I AM NOT THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE. My idea of good food is a nice steak and fries or a tender piece of chicken. I like plain food and, for me, even if it's plain, if it's well cooked and tasty then it meets my needs. I am well aware, however, that the kind of things I like would not be to everyone's taste.

Personally, we have been to 1900 Park Faire (for breakfast only) and found the food to be nice. It definitely wasn't gourmet - buffet food rarely is - but it was nicely cooked and tasted good enough. We haven't eaten at 9 Dragons but have seen quite a few negative reviews of it (there was one posted just last week) where several people then hopped on board and agreed.

While I don't believe that it was 'your fault' for choosing bad restaurants, I do think that the people who have posted here are just saying that your review does not give a fair representation of all food at WDW.

I hope you have more luck with your dining experiences on future trips and I would certainly recommend that you stick around and read some of the reviews being posted (I can highly recommend 'I can't believe we ate the whole thing' by slk537 and 'A magical gathering of disney dining' by curioser, among others) which will, hopefully, help you make a more informed decision for dining on future trips :)

Hi,

Well, but you talked about fine dining in your post.:confused3

You will find plenty of negative reviews.

As for 1900, my family had dinner there once many years ago and has never returned. We did not care for it at all but it was a last minute substitution in our schedule. Personally I never post about that experience because it was probably at least 15 years ago.

One son and I had breakfast there a few months ago and it was good. Not great but typical for a breakfast buffet. We're not much of a buffet family...actually my DH hates them...but if we do a buffet it is much more likely to be breakfast. Dinner foods just don't lend themselves to buffets IMO.

So post away with negative or positive reviews. It's all helpful. But if you want good food, do try table service restaurants. Fast food is fast food.

I enjoy reading the negative reviews as much as the positive ones. I learn from both. I also learn who's taste are similar to ours so in a way who's reviews I can "trust."

We didn't care for 1900 PF, either. We just returned. I know PF is really loved by most on these boards, so, frankly, I was hesitant to post anything negative about it. Did that once on the resort boards about a bad experience at one of the onsite WDW hotels and learned quickly about posting negative things about WDW.

We did have really good meals at Jiko and 'Ohana, so I just put those in my dining trip report.

I realize there's a few on these boards that are genuinely interested in all reviews, negative and positive, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to just look around and see what happens to folks who post something about a negative experience, whether it be the DDP, WDW's babysitting services, one of the hotels, a service issue, a meal. It always gets turned around to being the customer's fault, never WDW's fault.

Live and learn!

I had a horrible meal at Captin Jacks in DTD last year and posted it on here and never got any negative feedback on my review. I also posted about all the wonderful places I ate at as well such as Spoodles, Le Cellier and Kona Cafe. I have learned that there are some places that get many negative reviews (such as Captin Jacks, but I did not listen:rolleyes: ) and nine dragons but I have also learned that there are also places that get uniformed wonderful reviews such as Le Cellier, V&A, Narcossees, Jiko, Boma - buffet, kona, CA grill and the list goes on.

I think people are trying to say that you just happened to eat at some places that are just not that good. If you go to all ears you can read the reviews and see the ratings and make your choice from there. You just happened to make some bad choices which is unfortunate especially on vacation but next time you go I suggest trying a place that has ratings of 8 and above and then decide if you never want to eat in Disney again. :goodvibes

First I should say that we're not buffet people.....But we always figured if we're going to eat at one, WDW would be the place to do it. In past years, we really did enjoy some of them....Chef Mickey's, Cape May & even did like Hollywood & Vine, but now I can honestly say that we don't really like ANY buffet at WDW (we even thought Boma was bad). They all have really gone down hill.....:sad2:

I had a horrible meal at Captin Jacks in DTD last year and posted it on here and never got any negative feedback on my review.

Same here over the years. I have even posted relatively negative reviews of LeCellier and a solo dinner at Boma. Both are real favorites here on the DIS and no one blasted me at all. I've always found the review board to be a friendly place. We all just love reading about dining at Disney.

BTW, which meal was your worst ever? I wasn't clear on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter