Who also spent way too much this past month?

Not feeling bad about it, but I did spend more at stores/eating out. It was my vacation money, so the eating out part was sort of planned, but the stores weren't. :(

I spent more than usual but I don't feel bad about it. :)

We did spend more than usual on food, not because we bought more, but because we shopped at a different store and had to buy different brands, sizes, and products than we normally do. Plus, we did buy a few extra treats for the kids to try to make the idea of starting this social distancing seem a little fun--for at least a little while. :)

Also, it's allergy time now, so we had to refill all of our allergy/asthma medications just in case the allergy season is a rough one.

And ironically, right at the beginning of the month I had decided that my one son had had too much of a growth spurt to keep wearing his current pants to school any longer (because they were just too short) and we went shopping for him, and now just two weeks later, he's spending most of each day in his PJs or the most beat up sweatpants he can find for when he goes out to play. By the time he is ready to wear pants again, none of these new pants will fit him again. So, yeah, just little things here and there, but the last few weeks still added up to more than they typically do in terms of non-holiday, non-birthday spending.

Between buying up 2+ weeks work of food and setting up my home office, I definitely spent way more than my monthly budget. Who here also spent way too much and feels bad about it?

We did and now are trying figure out where to cut next month. I got caught up in the panic when shopping for food.

I did and feel good about it. Spent about $500 on takeout so far (family of 7), spent $600 on a new bike for ds17 at a local bike store because he is going stir crazy without sports (he never had a bike of his own, he still uses the bmx bike ds21 got in the 4th grade), just ordered $20 worth of lavender hand sanitizer from a boutique in town (we have none), got 2 big orders from a local deli (we have a bunch), trying to decide where to order from tonight. DH’s job isn‘t in danger (financial services, he already worked from home), and we have enough in the checking account for several years (toyed with the idea of paying off the mortgage and planned on getting major work done on the house this year).

I’m not worried about finances for now, but worried about everything else.

Also, it's allergy time now, so we had to refill all of our allergy/asthma medications just in case the allergy season is a rough one.

We're waiting on our allergy meds from Costco. We still have enough for about another 2ish weeks. I hope they ship soon since it's just starting.

Dropped x amount at WDW. For subpar rushed service across the board. In retrospect, wish I’d have stayed home. Only real highlight were the rides of course and Blizzard Beach.

Between buying up 2+ weeks work of food and setting up my home office, I definitely spent way more than my monthly budget. Who here also spent way too much and feels bad about it?
End of Jan/start of Feb I spent more than my regular amt on food. On one hand this was my normal schedule since I've a chest freezer and it needs restocking every 6 months. Luck of the draw that it happened close to coronavirus. Fortunately, was able to do so at the the sale prices historically available for that time of year. Still, generally it's mostly protein in the freezer and it took an extra $150.00-$200.00 to add freezable veggies in. My home office is already set up so no issue there. I did spend money ensuring the medicine chest ingredients were up to date (found a bottle of Milk of Magnesium that expired in 2012, LOL) .

I don't really regret the funds spent since I feel more secure to meet most anything that comes down the pike.

I actually spent less due to the lockdown.
I did have my taxes done this week.
I’m saving for end of the year vacations.

Last edited:
I wish I can say I was as noble as you but for most of my spending was preplanning

Actually since I can't do my usually "Sunday Funday" I am going to be spending less.

Stocking up on food, in my opinion, is just shifting cost not over spending.

I have spent more than usual because I bought more than twice as much as I usually do. Yes I feel bad about it, but it is all stuff that will be used eventually.

We have spent an absurd amount of money on food. My husband usually eats all of his weekday meals at work (fully provided by his employer) so this is a huge added expense. I have bought more milk in the last 30 days than in all of 2019, how does anyone drink this much milk? We will eventually use all the food, and I am making sure that anything that is perishable gets consumed before it goes bad, but it is still a lot to spend.

Last edited:
I definitely did on food. I was away for most of February and then got sick so hadn’t food shopped in over a month. Then this hit simultaneously. In addition there are now three of us home from school 24/7 along with my dh who takes breakfast and lunch to work. So I had to stock up.

In addition, had to go to different stores and sometimes buy pricier brands than I normally would. But now I feel like we are settling in a bit and spending should slow down. I hope.😀

Yes, because we had to make an emergency trip to Seattle due to MIL being hospitalized. I got off a plane home from visiting my Dad in FL, went home, quickly did laundry and was on another plane 5 hrs later. That is not a cheap way to fly or rent a car, lol. Then after getting home, after the social distancing started, my computer picked this time to die. Thankfully, we did not wait to see if we could get it going again and were able to order one from Costco, which arrived on Tuesday. DH checked like a day after we ordered it, and it was out of stock, and I keep reading how businesses are telling to get their people laptops anyway they can. Food budget is higher, but our "eating out" budget has dropped significantly, and it's not like we will be having that much more additional spending over the next couple of months, so I'm not too worried about it. The three month average should be about the same, except for the emergency plane tickets, rental car and computer.

On another subject. We filed our taxes last weekend, and we already had our refund deposited when DH caught up on bills today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter