White tents/cabanas at Magic Kingdom?

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/11/breaking-magic-kingdom-adding-park-cabanas-guests-rent/

That's the inside but the outside looks like a pop up white party tent.

They don't look that bad, but maybe these are just a test to see the response before they spend $$$ on adding something more permanent. That's what it kind of seems like to me. Oh, and now that I see the inside, I'll definitely book one of these. What would be nice to add to these are the food/beverage runners like they have at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

It seems like a ridiculous waste of money to me, but if it doesn't affect the average guest and people are willing to pay it then I really don't care if they're there. The tents are kind of an eyesore for now.

They don't look that bad, but maybe these are just a test to see the response before they spend $$$ on adding something more permanent. That's what it kind of seems like to me. Oh, and now that I see the inside, I'll definitely book one of these. What would be nice to add to these are the food/beverage runners like they have at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.
I just don't see how the benefits of this outweigh the costs. $650 plus a park ticket for something you'll spend maybe an hour in or maybe two? I go to a theme park to enjoy rides, shows and the atmosphere not to sit in a tent. That's just me though.

I just don't see how the benefits of this outweigh the costs. $650 plus a park ticket for something you'll spend maybe an hour in or maybe two? I go to a theme park to enjoy rides, shows and the atmosphere not to sit in a tent. That's just me though.

I'm not sure I would call this as much of a "test" as it is a mere formality and premature money grab. The "cabana" concept has proven to be wildly popular and lucrative for parks. The rational is the same as: Why would someone pay so much more to stay in a monorail resort when they could stay in an All-Star and get most of the same benefits"? This will be popular with people who have money to burn and are day trippers, off site guest, and folks who prefer staying at Epcot resorts and don't want the hassle dealing with Disney transportation. A lot of people will value a midday break without having to leave the park and won't have a problem shelling out a fraction of their total vacation cost for a little privacy.

I don't like the idea because I would rather Disney spend its efforts on something all guest can enjoy. I don't like it being inside the park. The space could have been used for too many other things rather than a pure money grab on top of already high ticket prices.

I completely understand. However, for us, this would be a nice splurge for a special occasion when we just want to hang out at the park.

I'm not sure I would call this as much of a "test" as it is a mere formality and premature money grab. The "cabana" concept has proven to be wildly popular and lucrative for parks. The rational is the same as: Why would someone pay so much more to stay in a monorail resort when they could stay in an All-Star and get most of the same benefits"? This will be popular with people who have money to burn and are day trippers, off site guest, and folks who prefer staying at Epcot resorts and don't want the hassle dealing with Disney transportation. A lot of people will value a midday break without having to leave the park and won't have a problem shelling out a fraction of their total vacation cost for a little privacy.

I don't like the idea because I would rather Disney spend its efforts on something all guest can enjoy. I don't like it being inside the park. The space could have been used for too many other things rather than a pure money grab on top of already high ticket prices.

We pretty much fit this demo and it appeals to me so I believe you're correct, but this is for MK, not Epcot.

We pretty much fit this demo and it appeals to me so I believe you're correct, but this is for MK, not Epcot.

Yes, I understand it's MK. I meant guest staying in Epcot resorts like Yacht & Beach Club but they will rent the cabanas on their "MK day". Can't imagine people staying at 4 Seasons or other luxury hotels in the Orlando area who want to spend a day at MK would have as much of a problem renting these cabanas. Since that is the crowd these are geared towards, I'm kinda surprised they aren't nicer with more amenities.

Now that more info is out, I think there is a market and I'd consider it.
Considering what is included the price is reasonable.

8 people
Personalized Mickey Ears
Cooler full of drinks
Snacks
Fruit Basket
1 Ice Cream for each person
Locker
Sunscreen, Hand Sanitizer, Insect Repellant
Sofa, Chairs, Table
Fridge and Ice
Charging Stations
Reserved Viewing for Parades AND Fireworks
And if you pay they'll go get your food and bring it back.

Who would be interested?
- Folks who pay for VIP Tours and extras anyway
- Parties of 8 adults who would all split the cost
- Folks staying offsite that would like a break place during the day
- Families who have members who are disabled and need quiet/rest areas
- Families who have members who are elderly and they want to just sit somewhere
- Folks who do rope drop to close or have added EMM/EMH

Yes, I understand it's MK. I meant guest staying in Epcot resorts like Yacht & Beach Club but they will rent the cabanas on their "MK day". Can't imagine people staying at 4 Seasons or other luxury hotels in the Orlando area who want to spend a day at MK would have as much of a problem renting these cabanas. Since that is the crowd these are geared towards, I'm kinda surprised they aren't nicer with more amenities.

These are a test for a market. They aren't going to invest structurally at this point. IF they find it successful I see them designing more permanent themed structures.

I think the list of amenities (above in my post) bring the price down to a very reasonable level. There is a market for these IF they PROMO them and many are NOT your luxury hotel folks at all.

It wouldn't suit my particular needs in MK, but if I were traveling with a family reunion (a market Disney has been stressing more and more) and had elderly/mobility-challenged parents or grandparents or a new baby in the group, I'd see the benefit in having everyone chip in for a cabana. For folks who can't be out in the FL heat all day but DO want to experience Disney, fireworks, parades, etc. at their own pace, this could be a game-changer.

I'm interested to see what comes of this. On one hand it's really just frivolous up-sells targeting the 1% and it's really problematic on principle. But it is for 8 people, so an extended family or group could see a lot of value in this depending on what is included. I could see the theming being fun. However, I doubt the price would stay under $100 a person if the more permanent structures are built and themed well. Also if you have certain types of themes, I can only imagine how popular some will be over others. I guess that'll be entertaining to see someone who has a vacation ruined because they couldn't book their favorite Cabana.

If this test works we will see it in a more permenant form through all the parks and Disneyland. They even are working on something for Star Wars experience if it works.

I just don't see how the benefits of this outweigh the costs.

When you are at that price level - it's rarely a cost benefit analysis. It's more folks at the "eh, what's another $650!" level.

I mean come on - even split 8 ways - that's $80+ tax per person, on TOP of your park tickets. That's a lot - my 7 day ticket last trip was like $340 per person so under $50 per person for the ticket - an extra 150% for a place to sit + snacks and soda? And I have to say - the main point of it - a place to sit - there's plenty of places to sit and relax in the park, maybe not as private, but we've often gotten a quiet table in the 2nd floor of CHH or the back corner of Cosmic Rays. As someone else pointed out on the news thread - how do you address the fact "I just got off of BTMRR and I am ready for a break" now you have to cross the entire park for your $80 soda and bag of chips.

As I said - it's something that would appeal to those with lots of money that doesn't worry about the cost - which is becoming a pretty big percentage of Disney consumers - so I'm sure they'll sell out well.

Whether the price is fair or not is a different debate. I could see the usefulness of this during a downpour, or intense summer sun. Also as mentioned, those with stroller transported kids, it could be a good quick nap spot. When you have those big families with varying ages.....it gives the young kids and maybe grampa and grammy a chance to chill out for a bit without taking a 30 minute trip one way to their home resort.
I do agree they should look better, and I think out of the way is the better way to do it, so long as you can at least watch something from the unit.

This screams to me "Let's make the in-park experience so miserable - by taking away benches, discouraging lingering at lunch, not allowing families to pre-sit at lunch so the don't have 4 kids in line with them, lowering the AC in park, making everything need an app which greatly decreases phone power but having nowhere useful to charge your phone, etc, etc - that we can then RESELL the same old park happier experience for $650/cabana." One word - we are all suckers if we give Disney any money for this. Better that they make some actual dedicated seating, shade, and charging spaces for everyone to enjoy for the price of park admission.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter