What was the first car everyone in your family had?

The first car I had was a hand me down from dad, a 73 Porsche/VW. It was a model 914. The same sounds intriguing with Porsche in it, but the car was entirely VW, designed by BMW. The engine was air cooled and poorly designed. It constantly vapor locked on hot days. Being a poor high school student I wasn't able to afford much work on the car. It would have cost thousands to fix the problem. As a result, it was suggested by a mechanic, possibly humorously, that since the car's engine was aircooled, to help further I could turn on the heater. So the hotter the day, the higher the heater was turned on. I nicknamed the car, Dersmelltingfactory.

Me, I got a hand-me-down maroon 1988 Toyota Corolla. It was a great car and lasted to over 180,000 miles before we donated it (though it was still going).
I bought my first new car, a silver 2002 Toyota Celica which I still drive today.

My sister had some car that was a real beater for a couple of years. She sold it to some guy who used it in a demolition derby. It was a gold, hatchback of some kind. She then bought her first new car, a green Toyota Tercel that she still drives today. I don't know the year, but if I had to guess, I'd say 1995 or so. We drive our cars forever!

The first car I had was a hand me down from dad, a 73 Porsche/VW. It was a model 914. The same sounds intriguing with Porsche in it, but the car was entirely VW, designed by BMW. The engine was air cooled and poorly designed. It constantly vapor locked on hot days. Being a poor high school student I wasn't able to afford much work on the car. It would have cost thousands to fix the problem. As a result, it was suggested by a mechanic, possibly humorously, that since the car's engine was aircooled, to help further I could turn on the heater. So the hotter the day, the higher the heater was turned on. I nicknamed the car, Dersmelltingfactory.

I've done that before in a water-cooled car. Saw the temperature needle climbing higher and higher in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It was about 85°F outside. Knew immediately that the cooling fan wasn't turning on. So I switched the interior fan on full and all the way to max heat. I also switched to low vent only so I wouldn't get hot air blasting into my face. It didn't go all the way back to normal, but it never got to the red zone on the dial I also shut off A/C since it results in net heat that the cooling system has to remove. The traffic occasionally gave me a chance to drive up to maybe 30 MPH, and the coolant temp would drop to normal every time.

Not sure how anyone is supposed to do something like that with climate control rather than manual controls.

Doesn't air cooling works fine as long as you're moving? There was a 914 in my neighborhood for years. I always thought it looked pretty cool, although so was the X-1/9.

I've done that before in a water-cooled car. Saw the temperature needle climbing higher and higher in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It was about 85°F outside. Knew immediately that the cooling fan wasn't turning on. So I switched the interior fan on full and all the way to max heat. I also switched to low vent only so I wouldn't get hot air blasting into my face. It didn't go all the way back to normal, but it never got to the red zone on the dial I also shut off A/C since it results in net heat that the cooling system has to remove. The traffic occasionally gave me a chance to drive up to maybe 30 MPH, and the coolant temp would drop to normal every time.

Not sure how anyone is supposed to do something like that with climate control rather than manual controls.

Doesn't air cooling works fine as long as you're moving? There was a 914 in my neighborhood for years. I always thought it looked pretty cool, although so was the X-1/9.

Yes, the vapor locking would typically happen when at a stop sign or stop light. I'd have to push the car off to the side of the road and let it cool down for 20 minutes or so.

I was told that vaporing locking was a common problem for the 914. When I had the car for a year it was a constant issue. It was great in winter. Well, mostly great. When the brakes got wet, the car didn't want to stop all that well. Other warmer seasons I had to plan and be careful not to strand myself.

For what ever reason when my father drove the car to work, while living in hot Florida, breaking down wasn't as big of an issue. Vapor locking happened to him but not as frequently as it occurred to me while in Illinois. We never could figure out why that was. I tried different ideas I remember. The big one, where I thought for sure I had solved the problem, was moving the fuel line farther away from the engine. That wasn't it. Eventually I had enough and traded the car in. Ironically, as I was trading the 914 in, another couple were very interested in the car and I believe bought it. The sales lady I was with was joking about it. If they did I hope they got the vapor locking problem fixed. I was told of a pricy fix for the problem but forget today what that involved. It was my first car and I remember it fondly for that and joke about its many imperfections.

Yes, the vapor locking would typically happen when at a stop sign or stop light. I'd have to push the car off to the side of the road and let it cool down for 20 minutes or so.

I was told that vaporing locking was a common problem for the 914. When I had the car for a year it was a constant issue. It was great in winter. Well, mostly great. When the brakes got wet, the car didn't want to stop all that well. Other warmer seasons I had to plan and be careful not to strand myself.

For what ever reason when my father drove the car to work, while living in hot Florida, breaking down wasn't as big of an issue. Vapor locking happened to him but not as frequently as it occurred to me while in Illinois. We never could figure out why that was. I tried different ideas I remember. The big one, where I thought for sure I had solved the problem, was moving the fuel line farther away from the engine. That wasn't it. Eventually I had enough and traded the car in. Ironically, as I was trading the 914 in, another couple were very interested in the car and I believe bought it. The sales lady I was with was joking about it. If they did I hope they got the vapor locking problem fixed. I was told of a pricy fix for the problem but forget today what that involved. It was my first car and I remember it fondly for that and joke about its many imperfections.

Got interested since I don't have much experience with air cooled cars. Sounds like one fix was to relocate the fuel pump to the front trunk, closer to the fuel tank. Apparently the factory fuel pump location was just a few inches from the heat exchanger. Maybe add an electric fuel pump?

That might be the needed fix, relocating the fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. I don't know enough. Dr. You Tube would likely help me.

I have a 914 once again. It's a 1975 version. I had bad memories with the gas engine. As a result I took that out and installed an electric motor into it and made a battery bay. It was a kit one could pick up for the 914. Now I sort of wish I had kept the original gas engine in the car, and worked to fix the vapor locking issue. A reverse conversion might happen in the future. It could be a project for another day if I can get a nephew to help out.

That might be the needed fix, relocating the fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. I don't know enough. Dr. You Tube would likely help me.

I have a 914 once again. It's a 1975 version. I had bad memories with the gas engine. As a result I took that out and installed an electric motor into it and made a battery bay. It was a kit one could pick up for the 914. Now I sort of wish I had kept the original gas engine in the car, and worked to fix the vapor locking issue. A reverse conversion might happen in the future. It could be a project for another day if I can get a nephew to help out.

I always though the engine behind the driver was kind of cool. My cousin is married to a doctor. I think his first car was a Missan Maxima. His latest car is a Ferrari 458. I haven't gotten a ride in it yet although he's offered.

Yes, the 914 was a VW sourced car, not much in the way of performance or quality, but darn where they awesome looking. I always wanted one. Most of them have rusted away by now, but they're just starting to find their footing in the collector car market...especially the last of them, the 914-6.

Yes, the 914 was a VW sourced car, not much in the way of performance or quality, but darn where they awesome looking. I always wanted one. Most of them have rusted away by now, but they're just starting to find their footing in the collector car market...especially the last of them, the 914-6.

It's the flip up frog lights that everyone loves. :p

My father is into refurbishing older Americans cars, then taking the muscle cars to shows. At least in the past this was his hobby. One time I decided to join dad at a car show. I drove the electric 914 to a local auto show contest. I knew the car was going to be out of place. It is a foreign car. It is electric. It was strange compared to the other muscle vehicles there. For sure it wasn't going to receive any attention I thought. I was wrong. The 914 was a hit, in particular with the young girls with Hello Kitty phones. :p We were all joking about it. The 914 was a hit though even with the older grizzled muscle hot rod guys. I didn't win any trophies but it certainly had many taking pictures.

A lot of cars had pop up lights. I think it made it possible to have a lower edge to the front hood yet still have the headlights high enough to meet regulations. I don't know if there was a compact midengine car from the 70s or 80s that didn't have them. Off the top of my head I remember the Pontiac Fiero, Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9, and who knows how many Ferraris. Even grocery getters like a Honda Accord or Acura Integra had them.

My mom traded in a 4,200 pound 1960 Le Sabre with a 364 Nailhead 300 horsepower V-8 that got 10 mpg on premium fuel for a 3,200 pound 1974 Buick Apollo with a 350 150 horsepower V-8 that got 10 mpg on regular fuel.

Sad, my '78 GMC JIMMY got 11 & it weighed 4,800 lbs and had full time 4WD (and a 185 HP 350). I got 16 with my '56 step side with a 400 :)

My father is into refurbishing older Americans cars, then taking the muscle cars to shows. At least in the past this was his hobby. One time I decided to join dad at a car show. I drove the electric 914 to a local auto show contest. I knew the car was going to be out of place. It is a foreign car. It is electric. It was strange compared to the other muscle vehicles there. For sure it wasn't going to receive any attention I thought. I was wrong. The 914 was a hit, in particular with the young girls with Hello Kitty phones. :p We were all joking about it. The 914 was a hit though even with the older grizzled muscle hot rod guys. I didn't win any trophies but it certainly had many taking pictures.

We have the same experience with my Wife's car. The old guys in their socks and sandals don't get a 2013 that looks like this but it is a spectator favorite!
9634966875_eae149fe45_c.jpg

Dude!! You've got a Morgan? Man, that's awesome!! I love those things!!! You're into British cars, I see (or at least British in name). I've had a few British tied cars over the years. Had my R56S. Also had a 1967 Jaguar XK-E 2+2 that purists HATED. It had a hopped up Ford 302 under the hood and a ghost flame paint job. It was Mustang loud, and Mustang fast. Purists gave me the stink eye, but kids at car shows ooohed and aaahhed over it. I also had a Factory Five Cobra 427 S/C replica. Probably my favorite car I ever owned. Just awesome in every way. Still very much miss it and it's been 10 years since I sold it.

Oh well, some day the budget for really wild and exotic cars will come back. I've also gotten into wheel to wheel racing over the past 6 years, which eats up a huge chunk of any car budget I'd have. So for now, I'll make do with what I have. Just bought a 2006 Miata, waiting for the shipper to bring it. This will be my 6th Miata, I love 'em.

Last edited:
A lot of cars had pop up lights. I think it made it possible to have a lower edge to the front hood yet still have the headlights high enough to meet regulations. I don't know if there was a compact midengine car from the 70s or 80s that didn't have them. Off the top of my head I remember the Pontiac Fiero, Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9, and who knows how many Ferraris. Even grocery getters like a Honda Accord or Acura Integra had them.
Opel GT is the first car that comes to mind with those pop up lights starting in 1968. At least on the Opel GT they were manually controlled with a handle similar to an emergency brake handle. There were a lot of pot metal parts in the linkage that broke easily, which is why you used to see them with "Marty Feldman" eyes as my friend who had an Opel GT used to call them. He'd have to get out and push the headlights the rest of the way up.
DOTJ-PairOOpelGTs-10.jpg

Opel GT is the first car that comes to mind with those pop up lights starting in 1968. At least on the Opel GT they were manually controlled with a handle similar to an emergency brake handle. There were a lot of pot metal parts in the linkage that broke easily, which is why you used to see them with "Marty Feldman" eyes as my friend who had an Opel GT used to call them. He'd have to get out and push the headlights the rest of the way up.
DOTJ-PairOOpelGTs-10.jpg

There's someone with one of those in my neighborhood. Pretty much permanently sitting on jack stands in his driveway. He's like a lot of people in my neighborhood who don't use the garage except as a storage space. His is the same color too.

As far as pop up lights go, I had a car with them. It got a little interesting after a collision that messed with the alignment. Later on they didn't always pop up immediately when the lights were turned on, but they did always pop up together. Now that I think of it, it was probably a sticky relay. There was a switch to keep them up even with the lights off, so I just kept it there.

Is that a Nissan Pulsar NX in the corner. With the modular back?

Last edited:
There's someone with one of those in my neighborhood. Pretty much permanently sitting on jack stands in his driveway. He's like a lot of people in my neighborhood who don't use the garage except as a storage space. His is the same color too.

As far as pop up lights go, I had a car with them. It got a little interesting after a collision that messed with the alignment. Later on they didn't always pop up immediately when the lights were turned on, but they did always pop up together. Now that I think of it, it was probably a sticky relay. There was a switch to keep them up even with the lights off, so I just kept it there.

Is that a Nissan Pulsar NX in the corner. With the modular back?
I think that is a Nissan Pular. It is a Google photo.

Yes, that's a Nissan Pulsar Sportbak. They were sold at the end of the '80's. Pretty rare now...not valuable, just rare. I think they're really cool.

The yellow vehicle just in front of the Sportbak looks to be a Datsun 720 pickup. I have one as my race car, sitting in my basement right now getting a heart/lung/everything transplant from a BMW.

Mine was a 1977 MGB convertible (Got it in 1987) My Dad paid $600 for it and put a lot of work in it. He replaced the convertible top, carpeted the inside, door panels, new seat covers... but it was demon possessed (kidding) Any time a boy was in it with me something happened. (Broke down, tire flew off and passed us on an old country road, hood flew up and bent over the roof, etc.) The horn was on the turn signal and anytime I turned the left blinker on the horn would blow. :rotfl2:It rolled down the parking lot at school one day (thankfully didn't hit anything! It stopped at the bottom by a parking curb. I started parking at the bottom of the parking lot after that incident. A boy I liked sent me a rose to school in a vase one time and after school I put it in the floorboard and the dash cut the rose off the stem. Possessed! Haha

My Mom was from England and met and married my Dad while he was stationed there in the Air Force. They moved to the States in '63 and was stationed in SC. In '65 my Dad was sent to Vietnam. They had an old '50 something model Ford and she was having transmission problems so she took it and traded it in on a '65 Mustang (powder blue). She sent my Dad a letter telling him what she did. Well several weeks later she sent him another letter telling him that they had messed up on the payments that the payments would be $xx.xx cheaper. He never got the first letter and sent her a letter saying "PAYMENTS ON WHAT?" People in the service nowadays are so fortunate to be able to communicate thru phone/text/FB etc. My poor Dad had to wait WEEKS to find out what my Mom had done. When he got home he LOVED the car. :goodvibes What's funny to me is that my Mom was new to the country (only lived here a couple years) went and bought a car by herself! She sure wouldn't do it nowadays. Haha

DH - car was '57 Chevy
DS - car is '15 Nissan Versa
DD - we shall see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter