What was the first car everyone in your family had?

My husband's first: Chevy Luv truck body (I don't know the year) with an engine from a Volvo

Okay, put that on the list of things I would never think to try, putting a Volvo engine in a Chevy Luv made by Isuzu. Trivia.....Isuzu sold more cars in the U.S. with OTHER automakers names on them than with Isuzu on them.

Okay, put that on the list of things I would never think to try, putting a Volvo engine in a Chevy Luv made by Isuzu. Trivia.....Isuzu sold more cars in the U.S. with OTHER automakers names on them than with Isuzu on them.

I'd be willing to bet so did Suzuki and Daewoo

That could be.
Funny thing about Isuzu, they had one of the most recognized ad campaigns ever, Joe Isuzu, but their car sales continued to decline slowing from the time it hit the air.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1

No idea about my parents, but the first car I ever drove was a Chevy Citation (I forget the year - probably something mid-80's).

First car I bought myself was a 1994 Saturn SL1. Wife's first car (I think) was a Nissan Sentra. Our 16 year old's car (obviously his first) is a 2011 Toyota Corolla.

Me - New 1966 Chevrolet Impala Sports 2 door.

DH - New 1965 MG Austin-Healey Sprite

Too young to know what my parents 1st cars were.

I had a 76 Camaro

Weren't most cars kind of sad those days, especially from GM? That's when tougher emissions kicked in, and they had no idea how to extract decent power using unleaded. I've heard of GM 5+ liter engines back then rated at 130 HP. My folks got a Chevy with a V-8 and it was so slow, but still drank gas like it was water.

My practical dream car in HS was a Chevy Sprint Turbo. Not sure why, but it seemed attainable yet fun.

My impractical dream car back then was an AMG Hammer, or less off the wall a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 with the Cosworth designed engine and a dog-leg shifter.

DH - 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge (used)
Me - 1977 Pontiac Trans Am (used)
DS #1 - 2002 Ford Ranger (used)
DD #1 - 2000 Saturn (used)
DD #2 - 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (used)
DS #2 - 2003 Chevrolet Malibu

My first car was a '95 Dodge Neon. I loved that little thing. I sold it to one of my parents co-workers when I went to college. Last I heard, Leon the Neon is still running just fine. My husband had a used Pontiac Grand Am his sister gave him. It only lasted him about a year.

My practical dream car in HS was a Chevy Sprint Turbo. Not sure why, but it seemed attainable yet fun.

My impractical dream car back then was an AMG Hammer, or less off the wall a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 with the Cosworth designed engine and a dog-leg shifter.

The Sprint Turbo (and Swift GTi) are pretty sought after now, if you can find one that's not rusted away, beaten to death or just otherwise neglected. They were true pocket rockets. My practical dream car in high school was either a Buick Grand National (GNX far out of reach), or Mitsubishi Starion ESi. Oddly enough, having had as many cars as I have, I've never fulfilled my dream on either one of those.

My father-in-law owned a Volvo repair shop/used car sales. I'm not sure where the Chevy Luv body came from, but he had bits and pieces all over his farm. There was a Volvo P1800 that I always wished he'd fix up, but he never did.

Weren't most cars kind of sad those days, especially from GM? That's when tougher emissions kicked in, and they had no idea how to extract decent power using unleaded. I've heard of GM 5+ liter engines back then rated at 130 HP. My folks got a Chevy with a V-8 and it was so slow, but still drank gas like it was water.

Yep, sad on the HP out of alot of the cars then, especially compared to now. Biggest problem was the heads, mine had 140 hp. That Camaro is long gone but I still have the engine from it. Motor sat in the corner of my grandmothers garage for 25+years. Rebuilt it 2 years ago. I put on vortec heads and a few other tweeks. It's a hair under 400 hp, and sitting in my 57 chevy now.
motor.jpg

Last edited:
I do know what the ex wife's first car was, 82 olds cutlass, I bought it for her.

My mom traded in a 4,200 pound 1960 Le Sabre with a 364 Nailhead 300 horsepower V-8 that got 10 mpg on premium fuel for a 3,200 pound 1974 Buick Apollo with a 350 150 horsepower V-8 that got 10 mpg on regular fuel.

I had a Plymoth Duster. No idea what year it was. I got it in 1978 and it was used. It was gray and they put flames up the side of it and big tires on the back so it was jacked up a little. I thought it was just "all that". lol

Dh had a very used Chevrolet Pick up.

ODS--1972 Camero

YDS-- Mazda (not sure of the year but it was much newer than his brother's just because his brother chose to put all the money into fixing the car up rather than purchasing a newer car)

DD--2010 Ford Focus

1986 Plymouth Turismo.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy Chrysler. That damn thing left me stranded on the side of the road more times that I want to think about. Usually in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter