What are some amazing things to do in Disney that are not well known?

If you stay at All Stars, there are free family movies shown at the pool area at ASMusic.

CM's in the lobby at Music can tell you what nights it is held.

Beautiful necklace... So did you just bring the loose pearl home and have it set? Or will they set it for you in jewlery you bring from home?

The cages just open, and you slip the pearl in. When you slide the chain through - it keeps the cages from opening up on their own. When we were there in Epcot the women were very sweet - and oooh'd and aaah'd over the necklaces. They offered to help get the pearls in the cages - and even gave us gift boxes for them. They really were very kind hearted people. Not pushy, and made it a special treat.

I just bought my carriage too! Now if any of us see anybody else with this necklace we'll know they are from the DIS baords!!!!:banana:

If you have a car, and have interest in science, go to the Team Disney building. This is across Buena Vista Drive from Planet Hollywood. Tell security that you want to see the Sundial. You can then go inside the world's largest operating (and accurate) sundial.

Wow, thank you so much for this tip! It's information and tidbits like this that can make our next trip especially memorable. :wizard:

What are some activties, places to go to, things to see that are not well known or well advertised in Disney World that you can tell me about??

Example: Picking an oyster and having the pearl that was inside made into a ring at EPOCT/Japan was awesome -- but I would never had known about it if my friend did not tell me about it.

Does anyone else have an fun -not well known- things to do in Disney?

I did the pearl thing a few years ago when we were at WDW for our honeymoon. Got very lucky and ended up with 2 pearls the exact same size and just 1 shade different in color. We had them set in earrings and I love telling the story of them. This trip we will do it again for a ring setting and I think maybe one for DD to have when she is older as a memory of her first WDW trip.

We did this last year. How much the ring costs depends on what setting you choose.

In our case we made necklaces and a tie tac. I purchased the necklaces off ebay before we went, so the tie tac was the most $ item we purchased there.

I don't know about DTD - but at Epcot the ladies make a real event out of it. They bang a gong, etc. and really make it special.

Here is a pic of our items.

IMGA0856.jpg

OK, I'm another! I searched all over Ebay and couldn't find it either. Please help me! Thanks for the info!
Michael

:wizard: :santa:

OK - I found it ... So thank you for the info. These will make great Christmas presents for the Ladies in my family!

:wizard: :santa:

Ah..I'm WAY too late, but I've always felt the Magic of WDW is discovering some of these things for yourself.... Also, keep in mind that many of these things change over time. Please don't ruin the magic!!

the more well known these things become, the more quickly they will disappear.

The magic was SO RUINED. Please don't ruin the magic!:wizard:

It's sad that you think sharing the magic is ruining it. Some people will only get to visit WDW once in a lifetime. Shouldn't they be able to be "in the know" also, so they can have magical experiences?

It's certainly not free, but one of the many things my husband and I did for our first anniversary trip was parasailing at the Contemporary.

IMG_1538.jpg

We did a tandem ride because we'd never parasailed before. It was so peaceful way up there and we had an amazing view. And no, they don't drop you into the nasty waters of Bay Lake like they do when you parasail in the Caribbean. :lmao:

Other things we have done include a private dinner at the GF with fireworks viewing, carriage ride at PO, the Backstage Magic Tour. Even renting one of those little mouse boats can turn into an adventure.

There are all kinds of activities at the AKL and Kadani Village as well as SSR for the kids.
You can decorate your own cookie around 1:00 at BOMA and some of the craft do have a small fee but we made the cutest plates at SSR a couple of years ago.
They have movies on the beach at the Beach Club.
I just went on the Behind the Seeds Tour at the land and loved it. I started my own hydroponic garden this weekend from an old fish tank I had. (We love to garden and will now have fresh lettuce, tomatoes and peppers year round).

I know DD14 will want one of those pearls when we go in October. I will order one (or two-one for me also) tonight. I usually do one special thing for her each trip and we are starting to run out of new things to do.
We will probably get a manicure one afternoon also.
DS19 just had his first massage at AKL and is totally hooked now.

I haven't had time to read the thread, so sorry for any duplications. I recommend:

If you are not saddled with kids, taking part of a day to visit some of the nicer resorts is a must. Expecially the Wildernesses, which should be gone to by boat.

Hanging out on the Poly/GF beach at night, especially after a dinner there. You can even wait for the fireworks if you're REALLY not a "go,go,go" type.

Check out the fake Beatles in the park of the UK pavillion.

Also check out street comedy when you can manage to catch it.

Anyone know the current price to Pick a Pearl?

Thank you!!

Amy

There's three different places you can get it done. DTD Marketplace, Typhoon Lagoon and the Japan pavilion in Epcot (in the store). There are pros and cons of each. Japan kind of makes a show about it, banging drums and doing 'birthing' ceremonies, but they have a smaller selection of settings. In Japan, the pearls themselves are around $18 (maybe less), then you can pay extra to have it set in jewelry from $9.99 into the hundreds. DTD is a kiosk with less enthusiasm (but still Disney charm of course) but they have a huge selection on jewelry to put together. You can also get your pearl in Japan and go to DTD to look at their selection if you dont like Japan's selection. I don't know about DTD's or TL's prices but I bet theyre about the same.

I've found that most people don't give much thought to Innoventions at EPCOT. It has become one of our favorite places to go. There is one attraction with a awesome stimulated 3-D storm in which the audience tries to figure out what aspects of building materials hold up better in storms; a game with special flashlights in which you run around the house to different rooms finding safety problems; and a fun game where you push around a garbage cart playing recycling video games with your team. Another area you can program your own computerized fireworks display. Or make frogs from velcro pieces. First thing in the morning you can just walk into these attractions it's so empty. I find them a welcome change from the rides and heat.

One of my favorite things was the Epcot Seas Aqua Tour. It is most definitely NOT free, but it was worth every penny! We loved it, and we're hoping we'll have the budget to be able to do it again next trip!

(for those unfamiliar, the Epcot Seas Aqua Tour is a tour of the backstage area of the aquarium, followed by a 30-minute snorkeling session in the tank. It was a blast!)

I've found that most people don't give much thought to Innoventions at EPCOT.

I agree! On a recent visit, we got a ton of the velcro pieces that they just gave to us (including princess crowns and a bunch of other accessories) and right across from that we also got to try out a Segway for free for a few minutes. It was fun!!!! A little challenging...but now I think I want to do the Segway tour.

I told my daughter-in-law and two grand daughters that some of the ladies on the Disboards say to pick the ugliest, hairest oysters they find in the Japan oyster tanks. I said I didn't know if it was true or not.
All three picked ugly oysters. One got double pearls 6.5 mm each, One an 8mm., and one a 7.5 mm. Beautiful! They all had them set in necklaces and loved them.

I guess the Dis ladies here know what they are talking about!:thumbsup2

we love to grab a table by the lake @ epcot @ cantina in mexico, have dinner and then watch illuminations w/the best view.
have fun!
mousiemom

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, last time we visited the MK we went to collect some photographs on main street. The queue was long, but around the back of the sore there are loads of scenes set up. We got loads of great photos and the kids didn't notice the queue so much.

Thank you so much! It's really fun! If you go to the "Creative Disigns" section of this forum, look down through the threads to find Kellybell. That area is full of very talented people & they will personalize their designs for you! It's super fun! Let me know if you have any trouble finding it. I can't attach my link because I'm on my blackberry!

Thanks .... i will look for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter