What are some amazing things to do in Disney that are not well known?

luvallthingsdisney

Every vacation leads to Disney World
What are some activties, places to go to, things to see that are not well known or well advertised in Disney World that you can tell me about??

Example: Picking an oyster and having the pearl that was inside made into a ring at EPOCT/Japan was awesome -- but I would never had known about it if my friend did not tell me about it.

Does anyone else have an fun -not well known- things to do in Disney?

We have been to WDW dozens of times and just this past trip did the Animation class at DHS. It was awesome! I can't believe we missed it all this time. It is in the Animation building, about a half hour class with a Disney animator, you learn how to draw a particular character. My DD10 who loves to draw and I did it (DH and DD16 can only draw stick figures so did not go). Our character that class was Sorcerer Mickey, who happened to be signing autographs right there in the Animation Building. We met him after the class and he signed our artwork. I would definitely recommend if you like to draw even a little bit.

Not many people realize this, but at MK, they have fireworks on an almost nightly basis going off over Cinderella's Castle. A hidden gem of WDW. Shhhhhh, let's keep this between you and me.

my daughter would love to take the animation class. How do you sign up for it or do you go at a specific time?

If you stay at the Poly, look at the daily schedule for the lighting ceremony. Every night, they have a Polynesian fire-twirling gorgeous man do a dance with drums, etc. before lighting all the torches outside at dusk. The kids were amazed at his fire dance and gave the hotel a real authentic feel. Do not miss!

Another 'FREE" thing to do that may not be for everyone, take the boat from the front of the MK to Fort Wilderness and back just to enjoy the ride on a beautiful day.

The electric water parade is really cool. We saw it when we stayed at the Contemporary years ago and our kids still talk about it.

We have been to WDW dozens of times and just this past trip did the Animation class at DHS. It was awesome! I can't believe we missed it all this time. It is in the Animation building, about a half hour class with a Disney animator, you learn how to draw a particular character. My DD10 who loves to draw and I did it (DH and DD16 can only draw stick figures so did not go). Our character that class was Sorcerer Mickey, who happened to be signing autographs right there in the Animation Building. We met him after the class and he signed our artwork. I would definitely recommend if you like to draw even a little bit.

PLEASE you have to tell me more about this. Is it a free thing to do? My daughter who is 10 LOVES to draw and is very good at it and wants to get into animation later in life.

Is it a class with lots of other people or is it small? Do you have to make advance reservations?

Thank you in advance

Not many people realize this, but at MK, they have fireworks on an almost nightly basis going off over Cinderella's Castle. A hidden gem of WDW. Shhhhhh, let's keep this between you and me.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

But, you usually are told that you must be on Main Street for the show -- squashed by tens of thousands of people (the average attendance at MK is over 40K from something I read recently) -- but if you really like the big aerials, you get a better view from a spot near the carousel, near Pinocchio's food place/Philharmagic; you miss Tinkerbell and a little of the castle story effect, but it's a great view of the "big ones." (Not that I want everyone crowding into my favorite place, shhhhhhh!).

PLEASE you have to tell me more about this. Is it a free thing to do? My daughter who is 10 LOVES to draw and is very good at it and wants to get into animation later in life.

Is it a class with lots of other people or is it small? Do you have to make advance reservations?

Thank you in advance

Me too! Me too! MUST have more info on this!!! popcorn::

The animation classes do not take reservations. In fact, they have never been full when we have gone, and that was in June both times. You just go into the animation building at HS and line up by the door to the "classroom" after touring the exhibit. I believe there is a short video and then you enter the room where a castmember demonstrates how to draw a character. It is different every time and you will not know ahead of time what character it will be. I encourage you to try it, even if you think you are not artistic. My son did it, and his result was comical., but he thoroughly enjoyed it. We drew Goofy one time and one of the chipmonks the second time.

You just go into the animation building at HS and line up by the door to the "classroom" after touring the exhibit. I believe there is a short video and then you enter the room where a castmember demonstrates how to draw a character. It is different every time and you will not know ahead of time what character it will be.QUOTE]

We did these repeatably at Disneyland last year and you can end up with some gems to frame. My 11 year old has ssince been inspired into some art classes and will best me for sure on this trip. That being said...the CM can teach anyone using real basics! Explains my multiple creations

It is right in the Animation building. We went in through the gift shop rather than seeing the little movie with the dragon from Mulan. If you go in the gift shop, then past a hall with some cels and sketches, you will come to the lobby where the characters and computer animation games are. On the right before you go down the stairs is a roped off area with some benches, with tv screens up above with characters magically being drawn. This is the waiting area. The class runs about every half hour. I think it might have started at 10. People seemed to start getting there about 20 mins early because it did fill up each time we went by (late June). It is FREE and they don't take any reservations. Probably at least 30 people fit in each class. It was amazing how great the drawings came out. The characters to be drawn changed based on the instructor, sometimes they have a specialty or I have heard sometimes they ask the class for suggestions. I would definitely recommend it even if you just like drawing a little bit.

How much did this cost?

I think the Pick a Pearl is $17 now. You can get one in the Japan Pavilion at Mitsukoshi Department store. Someone also said you could do it at DTD and I read in a guide it also can be done at Typhoon Lagoon.

I think the Pick a Pearl is $17 now. You can get one in the Japan Pavilion at Mitsukoshi Department store. Someone also said you could do it at DTD and I read in a guide it also can be done at Typhoon Lagoon.

How much is it to make it into a ring after that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter